Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

b0nk1e, your posting would be more suited to Conspiracy Theories. Please don't drag the thread off topic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

At what point do people getting up at 6am to work hard for a 40-50 hour week just to come home on Friday, to stay home all weekend, to repeat week after week, eventually get demotivated beyond the point of seeing the benefit in actually working?

That point has already been reached for many. It's not as if this government knows that they are going to do next. The only successful thing this government has done so far is strengthen Sinn Fein's chances.

Tommy Mescall on Six One: "The HSE couldn't provide figures on how many nursing home residents have yet to be vaccinated." Quelle surprise, that would involve taking responsibility and as a faceless organisation no one person is held accountable. I fear there are a series of roadblocks ahead with such incompetence, Ireland falling further behind schedule in delivery of vaccines and restrictions extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tommy Mescall on Six One: "The HSE couldn't provide figures on how many nursing home residents have yet to be vaccinated." Quelle surprise, that would involve taking responsibility and as a faceless organisation no one person is held accountable. I fear there are a series of roadblocks ahead with such incompetence, Ireland falling further behind schedule in delivery of vaccines and restrictions extended.
    Actually they mentioned last week that there were a number of outbreaks, so they couldn't do those locations. If someone has COVID they have to wait 4 weeks for a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We can't tell you how many people have received a life saving vaccine but if you want to know how many people arrived into Dublin airport today no problem, would you like the numbers for the ports aswell? no problem either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Cerveza wrote: »
    Case numbers are under the 1,000, time to get the ruined economy back up and running.

Yeah, reopening at 200 cases was such a success we should do it at 900.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

hynesie08 wrote: »

After six weeks of restrictions prior to traditionally the busiest time of the year for retail and hospitality.
    Any thoughts yourself when we should reopen? How many cases would you be comfortable with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

02-02-2021-p1.jpg
    02-02-2021-p2.jpg
    02-02-2021-p3.jpg
    02-02-2021-p4.jpg
    02-02-2021-p5.jpg
    02-02-2021-p6.jpg
    02-02-2021-p7.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

hynesie08 wrote: »

Let's be honest we couldnt reopen with 1 case without a vaccine

Hire clowns get a circus and that's what we have had for 11 months

We will wait till most of country is vaccinated before we open below level 4 imo

It will never work otherwise

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    83 happened throughout January - so I don't know what we can take from the number.

January was less than 48 hours ago! They could have all died on Saturday and Sunday for all we know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The majority of the country won't be vaccinated until after the summer

Level 4 until after the summer, not seeing friends family, partners for the majority of the year once again isn't workable

frozen3 wrote: »
    Let's be honest we couldnt reopen with 1 case without a vaccine

Hire clowns get a circus and that's what we have had for 11 months

We will wait till most of country is vaccinated before we open below level 4 imo

It will never work otherwise

Tony Holohan will be running for Taoiseach for one of the major parties on the manifesto commitment that life will return to Level 4 restrictions by the second-quarter of 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

After six weeks of restrictions prior to traditionally the busiest time of the year for retail and hospitality.
    Any thoughts yourself when we should reopen? How many cases would you be comfortable with ?

I have a comfortable number of cases in mind (that I only consider viable if hospital stresses are under a certain level).

We will (I hope) hit the number of cases before the hospital numbers I have in mind.

For me it's cases under 300
    If the nursing homes and health care vaccinations are completed cases under 500.

But only if
    ICU numbers are under 50
    Hospital numbers are under 400

Bear in mind I would be calling for a slow enough reopening. Small steps.

I have a comfortable number of cases in mind (that I only consider viable if hospital stresses are under a certain level).

We will (I hope) hit the number of cases before the hospital numbers I have in mind.

If the nursing homes and health care vaccinations are completed cases under 500.

But only if
    ICU numbers are under 50

Case numbers are put into question once mass vaccinations take place.

For example, 5,000 cases per day with vaccinations done and dusted for the over 60s is very different from 5,000 cases with no vaccinations.

Case numbers will slowly start to become irrelevant. What will take its place is the number of hospitalizations each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Case numbers are put into question once mass vaccinations take place.

For example, 5,000 cases per day with vaccinations done and dusted for the over 60s is very different from 5,000 cases with no vaccinations.

Case numbers will slowly start to become irrelevant. What will take its place is the number of hospitalizations each day.

Hospitalisations are too late. Its almost 3 weeks on average from infection to hospitalisation usually.

They will still listen to case numbers to predict hospital numbers but the formula will change as the variables change.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Residents of nursing homes in Cork and Kerry have died after receiving receiving a covid vaccine.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40218434.html

Takes time for the first vaccine to take effect.

Second dose matters, too - which wasn't administered in this case either.

Contracting the virus in the early stages of the vaccine / week before the vaccination, can still lead to death from the virus.

These headlines by news organizations are shameful. They instill fear into an already gullible and stupid public that believe vaccines are harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Residents of nursing homes in Cork and Kerry have died after receiving receiving a covid vaccine.

Why have you phrased that to make it sound like the vaccine was responsible for their deaths? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Why have you phrased that to make it sound like the vaccine was responsible for their deaths? Bizarre.

Really bizarre carry on. Genuinely pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

These headlines by news organizations are shameful.
    I think that's the poster's headline. The article headline is less ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

You have to say the most charitable explanation is that the poster can't understand what is being said in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Misleading description. Some had their first dose and it was not specified in the article how long after they got their first dose before they passed away
    As in other homes, some of the residents who died are believed to have received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine and were due to receive their booster shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

But only if
    ICU numbers are under 50

Bear in mind I would be calling for a slow enough reopening. Small steps.

I would be of a similar mind to yourself, stable icu and hospital numbers would be more important than case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Case numbers will slowly start to become irrelevant.
    The higher the case numbers (on a global scale), the higher the chance of a problematic mutation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

To be precise
    some of the residents who died are believed to have received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine and were due to receive their booster shot.

It remains elderly people are the most vulnerable with a high risk of mortality.

It can take up to three weeks for the vaccine to fully work and is not at its maximum until a booster shot is given

Rip to all those who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The majority of the country won't be vaccinated until after the summer

Level 4 until after the summer, not seeing friends family, partners for the majority of the year once again isn't workable

And meanwhile the pond rats will continue to pond while the rest of us will stay at home.
    What a fcukin time to be alive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Horrific number of deaths. No way to sugar coat it.

Ficheall wrote: »
    The higher the case numbers (on a global scale), the higher the chance of a problematic mutation.

...which is why the scientific and logistical infrastructure must be put in place now - in anticipation of such an event.

That means we can modify existing mRNA-based vaccines, reduce bureaucracy where needed, speed-up the approval process, and initiate mass production for all.

That way, no matter how problematic a mutation may become, we have the artillery waiting and ready to immediately respond in a matter of weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threadbanned for completely disingenuous posting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

@draftdodger

As I said in my first post this morning, I’m just having a feel sorry for myself day. I have them every now and then since 2017.

I typed out a long post and then deleted it. Typing it out helped as I then come to the usual conclusion that I have and that is that there are people ALOT worse off than I am.

Wish all here and their families well :) x

Ah I totally understand where you are coming from. We all have our bad days I guess I'm just a bit fed up with all this holiday talk when there is a much bigger picture at play.

Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

All the days wasted in starting the vaccine rollout in nursing homes is a disgrace, 9 days from the arrival in Ireland the first person in a nursing home got vaccinated. I can see major legal action on the cards when the dust settles. They knew for months vaccines were coming.

I don't keep fully up to speed on this but i recall they wanted the first doses to be given in hospital settings. Then, if there were reactions, there were medics on hand to deal with them. Some things have a rational explanation. Its easy to always look for a foul up. The nursing homes guy is trying to avoid the finger being pointed at their own inadequacies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement