Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just zen out. All the ranting here won’t change much will it?

Sorry for those, say under 30. But without sounding condescending, they are coping. Speaking from close experience here! No me I’m older and accept things as they are,. Not much I can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

"The woman leading the charge for a 1 shot jab"

Primetime lol who might that be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

PCeeeee wrote: »
    If you are genuine in this, you need to relax. It's simply not true, not even close to true.

There may be minor restrictions here and there by the end of the year but by and large this is almost over. Come September 70% of the population will be vaccinated. Restrictions will ease gradually from March on. The nightmare is almost over.

And if the new virus strains evade the vaccines and spread, what then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Stateofyou wrote: »
    And if the new virus strains evade the vaccines and spread, what then?

We're all fooked?
    Maybe mother nature wants rid of us, can't say I blame her tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Erra they'll still be far too slow and cautious

Painfully slow opening again they're promising no matter the cost to the economy

Right now the government appears to able to borrow as much as it wants. Just like many other countries. What happens when other countries start reopening?? Will we still be able to continue borrowing at the current rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

PCeeeee wrote: »
    If you are genuine in this, you need to relax. It's simply not true, not even close to true.

There may be minor restrictions here and there by the end of the year but by and large this is almost over. Come September 70% of the population will be vaccinated. Restrictions will ease gradually from March on. The nightmare is almost over.

Leo, Tony and Meehoe are on the news every day saying even with vaccines restrictions won't change this year.

We're all fooked?
    Maybe mother nature wants rid of us, can't say I blame her tbh.

Jannsen is 100% effective against hospitalization with the new strains inc. SA

I wouldn't panic yet

Malcomex wrote: »
    "The woman leading the charge for a 1 shot jab"

Primetime lol who might that be?

No offence intended, but watching or listening to Pravda is guaranteed to get your dander up and terrify you.

I gave up around May last year and am all the better for avoiding that Gov mouthpiece.

CovidCovidCovid, this expert, that expert, fragrant presenters, tabloid journalism etc.

Give RTE a frigging wide berth. Doom and gloom always. I don’t think they know what a tunnel is, not to mind the light at the end of it.

I suppose they will squeeze the last few days about of Tommie the retiree about the customs checks ooop there and prophesise the next debacle
    /troubles to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The deaths announcement today was a disgrace. As it was to try make things look worse.

What planet are you on? The government aren't storing up, or saving, death numbers to use if and when it meets some perceived agenda. The whole notion is bizarre and it's troubling that anybody could even think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What planet are you on? The government aren't storing up, or saving, death numbers to use if and when it meets some perceived agenda. The whole notion is bizarre and it's troubling that anybody could even think that way.

They tried to imply that there was 100 deaths in a singular day. Completely incorrect.

• Advertisement

Be guided, or Vive La Revolution. Portugal is in flitters, having at one stage been the poster country of Europe. No masks were required. They are now airlifting their seriously ill to other countries. Who’d a thunk it?

In a New York minute, everything can change.

They tried to imply that there was 100 deaths in a singular day. Completely incorrect.

They did nothing of the sort. They reported 100 deaths had been reported. This nonsense has been pushed for months now and people refuse to attempt to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

But surely things even up? Especially with reporting from the nursing homes.

Citywest earmarked for hotel quarantine

Makes sense lol

Mass vaccination centre and hotel quarantine combined

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

But surely things even up? Especially with reporting from the nursing homes.

So the question is: is this a one off spike that gets smoothed out on 3 day MA or 7 day MA or whatever or is it the start of a troubling trend.

Given they ws had half our total confirmed cases in January when we weren't even testing close contacts one would expect some kind of upwards trend in deaths. The hope is that the experience gained over the last year can in someway mitigate some of the deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Case numbers are put into question once mass vaccinations take place.

For example, 5,000 cases per day with vaccinations done and dusted for the over 60s is very different from 5,000 cases with no vaccinations.

Case numbers will slowly start to become irrelevant. What will take its place is the number of hospitalizations each day.

5000 cases per day OK??
    High case numbers like this will cause severe sickness in young people too, you know .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

At no point did they do this. Absolutely not. It was all very clear.

You're way wide of the mark on this one.

What are you doing? Reading a headline and making up the story yourself?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    5000 cases per day OK??
    High case numbers like this will cause severe sickness in young people too, you know .

Yes ..when death number drop. Covid lockdowns are over. Public will not tolerate lockdowns and will take the deaths.

That is the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

puzl wrote: »
    So the question is: is this a one off spike that gets smoothed out on 3 day MA or 7 day MA or whatever or is it the start of a troubling trend.

Given they ws had half our total confirmed cases in January when we weren't even testing close contacts one would expect some kind of upwards trend in deaths. The hope is that the experience gained over the last year can in someway mitigate some of the deaths.

I would say we look at this on a 7 day average then look at the trend. Cases are down, hospitalisations are down, and would one expect that fatalities will also reduce.

I think our hospital system has fared pretty well over the last year. We have met every challenge. The only thing I would like now is that we leverage our public and private system to transition to a top class health system (which we all pay for).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes ..when death number drop. Covid lockdowns are over. Public will not tolerate lockdowns and will take the deaths.

That is the reality.

No it’s not. It’s gone on for a year now. People will comply for as long as asked (except those who never complied). It’s in our culture to comply with authority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

jackboy wrote: »
    No it’s not. It’s gone on for a year now. People will comply for as long as asked (except those who never complied). It’s in our culture to comply with authority.

I suppose we never had any risings and we're still under British rule?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

HereinBray wrote: »
    You do realize that you have 3 months to register a death in Ireland? Do you seriously think that Government are massaging numbers for effect?

JMJ

From reading some the posts on this site many people actually do. Bizarre line of thought tbh.

But when deaths are reduced. There actually is no excuse for lockdown..we should have most vulnerable vaccinated within a month or two.

Completely different debate then.

polesheep wrote: »
    I suppose we never had any risings and we're still under British rule?

Small minority as ever. Most complied with British rule, then the Catholic Church. Irish people culturally want authority to tell them what to do,

To save illness and hospitalisation for them and their families for sure.together with keeping ICU and hospitals being overrun.

Some see the bigger picture. It’s the same all over really. Apart from a few Mavericks.

To save illness and hospitalisation for them and their families for sure.together with keeping ICU and hospitals being overrun.

Some see the bigger picture. It’s the same all over really. Apart from a few Mavericks.

I actually don’t agree. Pretty much no one wore masks before it was made mandatory. I believe most are following most of the restrictions because they are rules, not because they believe in them.

But when deaths are reduced. There actually is no excuse for lockdown..we should have most vulnerable vaccinated within a month or two.

Completely different debate then.

Indeed. But until ALL are vaxed we are in the same spot, unless people don’t care as long as they are safe about transmitting it.

I actually don’t agree. Pretty much no one wore masks before it was made mandatory. I believe most are following most of the restrictions because they are rules, not because they believe in them.

Ok explain Portugal. They did not have mandatory masking and were doing the best in Europe. Not now though, they are in bits.

Indeed. But until ALL are vaxed we are in the same spot, unless people don’t care as long as they are safe about transmitting it.

Well not really. Because deaths will drop to a tolerable level quickly.

We all have to realise death will be part of this for a while . But the numbers will not justify any lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Small minority as ever. Most complied with British rule, then the Catholic Church. Irish people culturally want authority to tell them what to do,

I disagree. I think you are confusing reasonableness with acquiescence. When the over 70s and the vulnerable have been vaccinated the nature of the game will change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement