Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

There you go.. minister speaking right now on virgin. About families mourning today . In context of the 101.

Complete and utter fake news. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

There you go.. minister speaking right now on virgin. About families mourning today . In context of the 101.

Spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well not really. Because deaths will drop to a tolerable level quickly.

We all have to realise death will be part of this for a while . But the numbers will not justify any lockdown.

Well I suppose those who are concerned about transmission will be cautious for a while to come, no matter what is opened up. Many-wont, but some will be. The shock of post Christmas was something else.

Malcomex wrote: »
    Spoofer

Swear 100 % ..watch . Unreal ****..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Disgusting comment

• Advertisement

Disgusting comment

What you mean.

The media outlets and even the minister. Have implied 100 people died of covid today.

This is not true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

polesheep wrote: »
    I suppose we never had any risings and we're still under British rule?
    Not the Irish of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You need to get a grip. Of course those families are grieving today. Do you think grief on losing a loved one lasts a day, a week....?

Give it a rest! We all know what he said and meant. You're trying to twist it for some obscure reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes ..when death number drop. Covid lockdowns are over. Public will not tolerate lockdowns and will take the deaths.

That is the reality.

What reality !
    This virus has mutated to be more transmissible,and the SA variant has made many young people very seriously sick wherever it becomes prevalent .
    Older vulnerable population vaccinated leaves younger hosts for the virus .
    This is why the Spanish Flu is thought to have gone through so many young people and killed them .
    The older population had been exposed to an earlier variant called the Russian Flu so had some immunity when the Spanish variant hit .
    This is not over until the vast majority of people , young and old , have some immunity , either by vaccination or surviving infection , and the former is preferable because the latter will take a lot longer and has too much risk for individuals involved .
    Wishing for something does not make it a reality .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Goldengirl wrote: »
    What reality !
    This virus has mutated to be more transmissible,and the SA variant has made many young people very seriously sick wherever it becomes prevalent .
    Older vulnerable population vaccinated leaves younger hosts for the virus .
    This is why the Spanish Flu is thought to have gone through so many young people and killed them .
    The older population had been exposed to an earlier variant called the Russian Flu so had some immunity when the Spanish variant hit .
    This is not over until the vast majority of people , young and old , have some immunity , either by vaccination or surviving infection , and the former is preferable because the latter will take a lot longer and has too much risk for individuals involved .
    Wishing for something does not make it a reality .

Jansen is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization for the SA variant

Bears repeating..

• Advertisement

What you mean.

The media outlets and even the minister. Have implied 100 people died of covid today.

This is not true

Do you really not understand about reporting and announcement of deaths at this stage?

Are you sure of what you are saying before you post or are you just trying to wind people up with insensitive and tasteless comments?

Malcomex wrote: »
    Jansen is 100% effective at preventing hospitalization for the SA variant

Bears repeating..

Yes. They have tested it for that , but the efficacy is 57% or thereabouts for this variant , which yes, will work but not as well as others
    And the poster I was replying to, if you read back , was insinuating that once vulnerable vaccinated , people will want to lift the restrictions as deaths would be lower even with 5000 cases.
    My point is... they won't ,ya need a vaccine !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Do you really not understand about reporting and announcement of deaths at this stage?

Are you sure of what you are saying before you post or are you just trying to wind people up with insensitive and tasteless comments?

Hang on, do you actually think 101 people died in the last 24 hours.

niallo27 wrote: »

I think you quoted the wrong person there.

Of course not! Do you ? Poster I was replying to implying that that is what is being said ..read the thread before posting will you, Niallo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Never ending

What you mean.

This is not true

Of course not! Do you ? Poster I was replying to implying that that is what is being said ..read the thread before posting will you, Niallo ?

No that is not what the poster said.

Never ending

For some people it won't, just reading tonight, they are terrified of every different variant. I do worry for these people as I think they will find it hard to adapt when this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

101 people died because of this ****ing virus.

It doesn't matter if it was in the last 24 hours or not. The reporting system is stupid. That doesn't mean the 101 deaths reported in 24 hours isn't a tragedy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This is going to happen in about 3 weeks - and it will be a real crisis for government - because deaths and cases will be low - and we will be all locked down for no reason.

The deaths announcement today was a disgrace. As it was to try make things look worse.

Enough with the conspiracy theories, anymore and you'll be thread banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The key metric is deaths by date-of-death. There is a lag on that data but the graph is shown near the bottom of this link (thanks to seamus for sharing)

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/epidemiologyofcovid-19inirelandweeklyreports/

It is currently showing a peak on 18-Jan but we wont really know until Week 4 data comes out tomorrow or Thursday.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The thing with the reporting is that there probably was a day with 101deaths though, we just don’t know when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The thing with the reporting is that there probably was a day with 101deaths though, we just don’t know when.

It does demonstrate why we need to use 7 day averages etc. Better than saying that the ratio of deaths to cases today was 1:8 which is pretty scary. At the same time every life is valuable and they need to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I don't get you. We all know by now in the pandemic a death notification doesn't mean the person died literally on that day. If anyone doesn't know that by now it's on them , it's been made very clear. I don't understand what your deal is anyway, all these people died in the recent large wave the country experienced. What iota of a difference does it make that a slighly higher number of families happened to notify the deaths on this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭amandstu

When I look at the global figures for the daily 7 day moving average for infections it is showing a fairly steep decline over the past 3 weeks.

Can we read anything into that?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

amandstu wrote: »
    When I look at the global figures for the daily 7 day moving average for infections it is showing a fairly steep decline over the past 3 weeks.

Can we read anything into that?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
    Could be vaccines kicking in, could be some countries' calming down after Christmas stupidity.
    It's surprising that despite the apparent effectiveness of their vaccine, Israel cases at 55% vaccinated do not seem to be displaying the same decline as other countries. A little more time will give a better indicator, I suppose.

Also I think there was something about the WHO reclassifying how to define a case, but it was a little unclear what the story was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ficheall wrote: »

Also I think there was something about the WHO reclassifying how to define a case, but it was a little unclear what the story was there.

Never happened. A bunch of people in January saw an updated WHO labatory guidance document in January and completely misunderstood it. Or worse, deliberately distorted it to push their own agenda. Sadly, I think many instances of it in social media were the latter.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Could be vaccines kicking in, could be some countries' calming down after Christmas stupidity.
    It's surprising that despite the apparent effectiveness of their vaccine, Israel cases at 55% vaccinated do not seem to be displaying the same decline as other countries. A little more time will give a better indicator, I suppose.

Orthodox jews are both resistant to adhering to restrictions and to receiving vaccines, so the virus is rampant in that community.

Also, Israel Arabs who make up a significant minority in the country are also suspicious of anything government mandated and have fairly low vaccine uptake

No that is not what the poster said.

It's precisely what the poster said.

Start at the beginning of the exchange. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

This is going to happen in about 3 weeks - and it will be a real crisis for government - because deaths and cases will be low - and we will be all locked down for no reason.

The deaths announcement today was a disgrace. As it was to try make things look worse.

so about a week before level 5 is due to end? so exactly what we wanted to achieve with the level 5 process a nd ending it at the right time?

The deaths are when they are reported. They've been announced like this at every single portion of the pandemic and they clarify when people have died, month wise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement