Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Kind of avoided covid news and these threads over the last week or so.

My last post was my about my dad catching it as an inpatient in Tallaght. He's on day 9 now and thankfully still no symptoms. He did complain about 'not having a taste for food' but we later realised he meant he had lost his appetite rather than sense of taste.

He had been moved to a covid ward after his positive test, but due to no symptoms, they moved him to free up a bed... to a private nursing home. Now, I was baffled at first tbh, after the nursing home cluster**** in March/April, but the place is run very very well by the looks of things, in terms of infection control. They have areas varying areas where staff don't cross, etc..

He will have been part of the discharge numbers I'd guess, but he's getting much better care, he's in a private room, and is just happy to have a television as obviously he can't have visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

speckle wrote: »
    Just maybe...a very simple explaination...maybe nowadays we live too much of our lives indoors in unhealthy places?

I was delighted to get away from the air-con at the office. I think many people are getting more fresh air than ever before. The whole community seems to be out walking at lunchtime if the weather is any good.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So we can have a meaningful easter?

Stations of the cross like?

Grim.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

polesheep wrote: »
    We can't because 'one death from Covid is one death too many' is still what's driving this.

But you are absolutely correct.

I think they stopped focusing on the deaths a while ago. It's the effects on the health service that matter most. The only people who obsess over death rates are those wishing to downplay the virus.

Even if we stopped counting Covid deaths today, we'd still have full hospitals, still have most non-covid health procedures cancelled etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

is_that_so wrote: »

...and if anybody is wondering where the black people live, look at the paler areas on the map on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

GP Referral data for yesterday is out. A fall in referrals, which is good news as we normally see a spike in referrals on Monday (weekend effect)

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-01-26_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

While obviously there's a major issue there on access to vaccines, it's been widely publicised in the UK and USA that black people are far less likely to accept vaccination. Even if the country were awash with vaccines you'd see much lower rates in poorer areas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Azatadine wrote: »

I'll cross quote myself from another thread.
    Except it's wrong.

The uk didnt sign a deal till July. They had the same agreement Astra zenaca had with eu vaccine alliance before that.

May UK have a pre agreement with AZ
    June eu (ivc) have a pre agreement with AZ
    July UK sign a final agreement with AZ
    August EU sign a final agreement with AZ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I think they stopped focusing on the deaths a while ago. It's the effects on the health service that matter most. The only people who obsess over death rates are those wishing to downplay the virus.

Even if we stopped counting Covid deaths today, we'd still have full hospitals, still have most non-covid health procedures cancelled etc.

I agree with you. I was referring to those who want the government to keep restrictions even in the face of lowering numbers in the hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

According to the latest 14 day epi report, a 108 year old person has tested positive.

That just might be the oldest person in the entire country

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

GP Referral data for yesterday is out. A fall in referrals, which is good news as we normally see a spike in referrals on Monday (weekend effect)

This is fantastic - and if I am reading the report correctly there was an increase in responses so the fall cant be attributed to a fall in sample size. Hopefully that trend continues into tomorrows data and we will not see the usual Wednesday bump to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

acer911 wrote: »
    This is fantastic - and if I am reading the report correctly there was an increase in responses so the fall cant be attributed to a fall in sample size. Hopefully that trend continues into tomorrows data and we will not see the usual Wednesday bump to the same extent.

I've been looking at this data for a few months and I can't remember ever not seeing a Monday spike. Hoping for a swab number below 1000 this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I've been looking at this data for a few months and I can't remember ever not seeing a Monday spike. Hoping for a swab number below 1000 this week :)

It would be nice. Usually we get a higher number on Tuesday and Wednesday don't we, but maybe later in the week, we'll head sub 1k which would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Very good stats.

This might be a silly question, but what other ways are there of being sent for a covid test other than GP referral? i know if you are already in hospital for something else and sent for a test might be one..

Pharmacists now have a beef and are feeling left out

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0126/1192108-covid19-vaccine-rollout/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Arduach wrote: »
    Very good stats.

This might be a silly question, but what other ways are there of being sent for a covid test other than GP referral? i know if you are already in hospital for something else and sent for a test might be one..
    Private test. Pay your money get tested.

Private test. Pay your money get tested.

Would that account for much of a percentage? It sounds mad given you just need to ring your GP..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Very good stats.

Mass testing in high risk environments (I believe this is just nursing homes atm).

Medical staff who are close contacts of a confirmed case are sent for tests.

Presumably we will be restarting testing for all close contacts soon enough.

• Advertisement

Mass testing in high risk environments (I believe this is just nursing homes atm).

Medical staff who are close contacts of a confirmed case are sent for tests.

Presumably we will be restarting testing for all close contacts soon enough.

Ok. I suppose meat factories etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

I am slightly perturbed that people in nursing homes etc and who are only SUSPECTED as having covid 19 are deemed to have died having Covid.

Surely if this Is the case then is it fair to say that a high percentage of the 3000 approx unfortunate souls that have passed away since march 2020 hadn't actually had covid at all but died of other ailments/sickness/cancers or diseases.

Again I don't want to come across as cold or not caring and in fact I'm training in the healthcare profession, but I does seem the information we are being fed is not the true picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I am slightly perturbed that people in nursing homes etc and who are only SUSPECTED as having covid 19 are deemed to have died having Covid.

Surely if this Is the case then is it fair to say that a high percentage of the 3000 approx unfortunate souls that have passed away since march 2020 hadn't actually had covid at all but died of other ailments/sickness/cancers or diseases.

Again I don't want to come across as cold or not caring and in fact I'm training in the healthcare profession, but I does seem the information we are being fed is not the true picture

ah stop will you. this has been dealt with probably hundreds of times at this stage. more than any other covid myth by far. do people just ignore and erase any information contrary to their preconceived opinions or what?

Pharmacists now have a beef and are feeling left out

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0126/1192108-covid19-vaccine-rollout/

Of course they do; while I can't see them profiteering or getting rich from it, there's a lot of state-guaranteed money to be made from dispensing vaccines....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Would that account for much of a percentage? It sounds mad given you just need to ring your GP..

Some businesses and other settings test as a matter of routine. What % they would equate to I can’t answer but I’m sure one the regular stat guys here would have an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Any chance of an oul citation there?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Taoiseach confirmed this morning lockdown will extend until March 5.

Says measures are working and adherence high but “overriding objective is to alleviate pressure on our hospitals and our intensive care units” - though there will still be significant hosp numbers by end-Feb

The CMO - we report confirmed and suspected deaths. This can lead to denotifications but also more complete data.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

I am entitled to my opinion the last time I checked.
    The fact is is that a person with stage 4 cancer and who tested negative for covid was deemed to have died with covid. And I'm not making that up. Leo said those exact words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

''There will also be a significant number of Covid-19 deaths in the coming weeks, Cabinet heard.'' Probably known but bit of a grim reminder.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/level-5-extension-until-march-5th-officials-consider-ban-on-all-non-essential-travel-into-state-1.4468043

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement