Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

They were open during 1968 when the Hong Kong flu is estimated to have killed 80000 people in the UK. Difference is that there was no constant media intrusion, social or otherwise, into our lives, and so people just got on with things

Not so long ago lobotomy was ok too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

My brother messaged me from Scotland today he is due to get his vaccine on 10th February, he is 64 with no underlying conditions. Just wondering when we'll get to category 7 over here which is my group, I'm 55 with underlying conditions.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

frozen3 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt but Covid would have been a non issue then

The people it affects, the 65 years + would have all been dead anyway

1918 was the opposite, affected the young

There's still a significant mortality and morbidity for those under 65. Covid would still have been a significant issue. Remember too the vast majority of vulnerable groups under 65 haven't actually been infected with the virus.

Covid is extremely significant for over 65s. It wouldn't be a non issue for those under it if were spreading freely in the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

GP referral data from yesterday. Downward trend continues, about 20% down on the same day last week.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-02-03_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My brother messaged me from Scotland today he is due to get his vaccine on 10th February, he is 64 with no underlying conditions. Just wondering when we'll get to category 7 over here which is my group, I'm 55 with underlying conditions.

Probably April, maybe a bit earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

1 in 6 Brits have received their first dose. Got to admire that.

Galwayhurl wrote: »

Vaxit means Vaxit - and we'll make the best of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

AstraZeneca approved for all ages but if timely access seems others would be preferred for over 70

https://twitter.com/juneshannon/status/1356987201163317253

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

frozen3 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt but Covid would have been a non issue then

The people it affects, the 65 years + would have all been dead anyway

1918 was the opposite, affected the young

These blanket statements are always a bit oversimplied. It's a spectrum. It's not like there's no risk for a 64 year old just because they're not that in 'that' age group. The IFR in early 60's is about 1%. Would you not be careful to try and avoid contracting COVID if you were 60?Because I would certainly be taking precautions not to get it if I was late 50's or early 60's. And that's just mortality, not to mention hospitalisation rate.

In the UK , about 100,000 people under 55 have been hospitalised so far, so it's not no risk for the late middle aged groups, even though they are not 'old'. The only age group in Europe that has not seen major increase in mortality rates since March, is under 45, death rate in children and young adults is actually below average since then. All other age groups have seen significant increase however.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Galwayhurl wrote: »

Boris got one over on the labour guy

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1356977156094627843

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

1201 Swabs
    6.6% positivity rate

decent results for a Wednesday, 28% lower swabs than last Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1,201 positive tests on 18,289 swabs, 6.57%

Yeah, not bad at all for a Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

1201 Swabs
    6.6% positivity rate

I checked the site as it was updating and it had like 2500 swabs on 24kish tests and was like wtf happened.

Thankfully it's a better number than that

titan18 wrote: »
    I checked the site as it was updating and it had like 2500 swabs on 24kish tests and was like wtf happened.

Thankfully it's a better number than that

Me too - it was stuck sometime in January for a minute or so, freaked out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

1201 Swabs
    6.6% positivity rate

Superb stuff - really coming down nicely. Another couple of weeks and we should be at a point where real planning towards reopening in March can start.

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Superb stuff - really coming down nicely. Another couple of weeks and we should be at a point where real planning towards reopening
    pubs
    in March can start.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Positive swabs on the last 3 Wednesdays

13 Jan - 3932
    20 Jan - 2786
    27 Jan - 1668

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Me too - it was stuck sometime in January for a minute or so, freaked out a bit.

Same here, was nearly reaching for the wine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

GP referral data from yesterday. Downward trend continues, about 20% down on the same day last week.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-02-03_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

That looks quite promising. Hopefully in a good position in 3 to 4 weeks. Maybe some good news on vaccines in that time. The data coming out over the last few days regarding how effective they are looks very encouraging

Same here, was nearly reaching for the wine

Oh, have some wine anyway! :)

• Advertisement

Positive swabs on the last 3 Wednesdays

13 Jan - 3932
    20 Jan - 2786
    27 Jan - 1668

And possibly add 10% to those figures as contacts were not being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Are we at the point yet that the resumption of contact testing is going to impact the daily figures?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Are we at the point yet that the resumption of contact testing is going to impact the daily figures?

Should already be in the data. They resumed close contact test referrals on Friday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

We're all fooked?
    Maybe mother nature wants rid of us, can't say I blame her tbh.

We're all Fooked ? 😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Turtwig wrote: »
    I think you really need to go back 9 months and reundestand the argument. There's so many misconceptions in your post it's impossible to know where to begin.

Each time or resource a hospital spends treating a covid patient is time they can't treat or resource another non covid patient. If the idea is to let covid explode in hospitals and increase their capacity to absorb this explosion like a sponge then you're going to have a mess of serious illness, death and burnt out traumatised staff. Not just exclusively from covid either.

Also, fundamentally, you're trying to keep people out of hospital and being seriously ill in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

tigger123 wrote: »

Resumed at the end of last week, so, yeah, it's there by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

silverharp wrote: »

That is awkward but there's nothing stopping any EU country from approving a vaccine. I guess we did it out of solidarity for being last.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Breaking

94 additional deaths confirmed.

1,013 new cases.

47 of these deaths occurred in February, 44 occurred in January, 2 in December and 1 in November.

The median age of those who died is 82 years and the age range is 36-100 years.

Cases: 337 in Dublin, 96 in Galway, 65 in Cork, 60 in Kildare, 48 in Louth.

That is awkward but there's nothing stopping any EU country from approving a vaccine. I guess we did it out of solidarity for being last.

We can approve any vaccine we like on an emergency basis but will have zero supplies until the EU supplies get released following EMA approval.

I suppose we could approve the Sputnik vaccine or one of the Chinese ones, and do a separate supply deal. But I'm not sure how many people would want one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

The cases are very slow in going down :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement