Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

anyone else heard that construction might be allowed reopen if cases stay below a 1000 cases a day for a number of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

That would be inaccurate, too - because the deaths did not happen over the past 24-hours.

Some were in February, others in January, and even some from November.

Number announce today i didn't say died today, anyway does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That would be inaccurate, too - because the deaths did not happen over the past 24-hours.

1 was from November. And yet again, nobody said they happened in one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I really don't see why the doctor who declares the person dead from Covid cannot contact the HSE directly on that day.

polesheep wrote: »
    I really don't see why the doctor who declares the person dead from Covid cannot contact the HSE directly on that day.

It’s not the hse specifically, it’s the hspc. And cause of death is not always apparent as soon as someone is pronounced dead

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Can we have some degree of accuracy and perspective here.

Individual daily case numbers do not matter, per se.

What does matter is the 7-day rolling average - and that is declining precipitously over the past weeks.

There is no need for all this doom and gloom; the figures are what you would expect them to be.

When cases rise exponentially, they also fall exponentially - and the rate you see may seem slow, but from a long-term vantage point, the figures are very favorable indeed.

What in gods name are you on about. 94 people died, that is soul destroying. Its reality not doom and gloom.

It’s not the hse specifically, it’s the hspc. And cause of death is not always apparent as soon as someone is pronounced dead

But it’s died with COVID not died of COVID. I don’t actually get why it takes so long to establish whether someone who died had tested positive at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

But it’s died with COVID not died of COVID. I don’t actually get why it takes so long to establish whether someone who died had tested positive at some stage

Its a death where covid was a contributing factor. In some cases this is not immediately apparent.

Some people like to think we blindly bundle as many deaths as possible into the Covid bucket with out any attention paid to accuracy. Some people don’t have a clue

Some people like to think we blindly bundle as many deaths as possible into the Covid bucket with out any attention paid to accuracy. Some people don’t have a clue

Hardly an outrageous thought when the previous Taoiseach admitted as much.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Can we have some degree of accuracy and perspective here.

Individual daily case numbers do not matter, per se.

What does matter is the 7-day rolling average - and that is declining precipitously over the past weeks.

There is no need for all this doom and gloom; the figures are what you would expect them to be.

When cases rise exponentially, they also fall exponentially - and the rate you see may seem slow, but from a long-term vantage point, the figures are very favorable indeed.

i-hear-youre-4252756487.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Waiting for the county numbers to be updated on the HUB says its up to date but still previous days numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/religious-order-overwhelmed-by-death-of-10-priests-in-covid-19-wave-1.4475305?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Freligious-order-overwhelmed-by-death-of-10-priests-in-covid-19-wave-1.4475305#.YBrpnYIqgws.twitter

Spiritan Order loses 8 priests to COVID in January. Very sad, have heard a good few stories of convents/religious orders being decimated due to the age of the staff, pretty tragic given that these people would have spent their entire lives working and often living together.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Hey folks, not to clear on this if anyone can help me greatly appreciated.

My friends Mum is coming back from Spain (where she lives) next week. she has a house in Dublin too. Will she have to quarantine in a hotel when she comes back to Dublin ? She's an Irish national, not that means anything I guess.

Any answers greatly appreciated.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Steve012 wrote: »

My friends Mum is coming back from Spain (where she lives) next week. she has a house in Dublin too. Will she have to quarantine in a hotel when she comes back to Dublin ? She's an Irish national, not that means anything I guess.

Steve

She can go direct to her house and quarantine there. No hotels up and running yet for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Fair enough, but why can't the doctor who pronounces cause of death, even if after lab/autopsy inform the hspc? Why wait sometimes months for family to inform?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Steve012 wrote: »

Steve

Might also be a good idea if she has proof of spanish residence in case gardai think she is returning from holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Akabusi wrote: »
    She can go direct to her house and quarantine there. No hotels up and running yet for that.

Thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What about all the deaths that occurred today that won't be notified for another few weeks? They're still dead. Trying to insinuate deaths don't count because they weren't within the last 24 hours is disingenuous and scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So where do we draw the line? You know next week you'll be saying the same thing. Even though right now deaths are being 'undercounted' compared with the rate of people actually dying of the virus as we speak, if we follow this logic , as next week those deaths that are happening now will only be later notified. It's all distraction and irrelevant, it's total number that matters and it's very high for January and February, there's no way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

What in gods name are you on about. 94 people died, that is soul destroying. Its reality not doom and gloom.

And preventable, if the government didn't put politics and borders above the people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Where on earth did he get this from?

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1357059151281745921?s=21

The R0 at the minute in Ireland is around 0.5, in total.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

marno21 wrote: »

I was thinking exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

HA. What an absolute loony.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

****ty strain ruining our perfect record!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes I'm sure Philip Nolan will have an update for us tomorrow about the numbers

0.5 seems very high for the variant but I'm sure Martin was briefed about this

The slower Martin decides to open up the more people will ignore restrictions about meeting up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I'd love to know where they get an estimate for how one particular strain impacts the overall R number.

It's difficult enough to calculate the R value as it is without trying to calculate it for one strain when you only test a small % of samples to see what strain they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yup was thinking the same myself. He would be in essence suggesting natural R of 0.2, thats just pure nonsense or wishful thinking.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes I'm sure Philip Nolan will have an update for us tomorrow about the numbers

45-minute boring Nolan lecture with self-assessment questions on the Maynooth student portal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Todays report minus the confirmed county numbers. Not updated on HUB

03-02-2021-p1.jpg
    03-02-2021-p2.jpg
    03-02-2021-p3.jpg
    03-02-2021-p4.jpg
    03-02-2021-p5.jpg
    03-02-2021-p6.jpg
    03-02-2021-p7.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement