Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

We had christmas to be positive about and look what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

spookwoman wrote: »
    We had christmas to be positive about and look what happened.

How much of that was people coming home from abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Both Varadkar and Martin on about cases plateauing

Also seems most we can look forward to in March is schools and construction open

Maybe level 4

Level 4 is stay in own county but I doubt they would allow that

https://m.independent.ie/news/tanais...Cjf_l_levNcr68

3567 less cases this week compared to last, someone should tell both what plateauing means.

Cases and hospital numbers continue to fall then I'll expect us to move into level 4 on March 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

3567 less cases this week compared to last, someone should tell both what plateauing means.

Cases and hospital numbers continue to fall then I'll expect us to move into level 4 on March 5th.

And close contacts now being tested, massive progress

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

and people living in Ireland are not to blame...they let them come into their houses. They went out among the community and spread it even if they did not have contact with someone who traveled.

The virus needs people to spread, it was already in the community before people came home, people visiting etc exasperated an existing problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

NPHET were on about cases plateauing on Monday so Martin and Varadkar are only parroting that

Still yet they should know better but sure they couldn't let anything be seen in a good light

Just more doom and gloom then repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You wouldn't think it to listen to Govt. though.

Remember, nearly a year ago, it was about flattening the curve? To 'live with covid' iirc? Now they aren't telling anyone what the goal is. Is it stamping out hospitalisations? Stamping out all deaths? News today says Astra vaccine even stops transmission effectively. All the other vaccines coming on stream. Yet we can't even get a sense that it will be alright by the 2nd half of the year. Why not!

Plans change. Not ideal but not a surprise.

I think we will see some actual commitments when the vaccine supply lines firm up and increase. Can't really make any concrete statements now with the supply all over the place. Once Pfizer and AZ get their production sorted and start delivering six figure shipments instead of 4 on a good day then we should see a big change in a relatively short time.

Remember, we are planning on vaccinating 250k people a week. Last month we had gotten a little over 200k doses, supply lines are ****e. We are still planning on 1.1 million doses in the first 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭maebee

Chatting to a friend tonight, who lives in Kelowna in the wilds of North B.C. Canada, where life is pretty normal. She asked how we were, and I, for the first time since this crap began, said that were were feeling low and explained our restrictions. She was stunned as she is in daily contact with 3 other friends from Ireland and they were all ok.

Her No. 1 friend in Co. Meath is living life as normal and visiting all of his siblings' households.

Her No. 2 friend in Blanchardstown meets her 4 sisters a few times a week.

Her No. 3 friend is a mixture of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

maebee wrote: »
    Chatting to a friend tonight, who lives in Kelowna in the wilds of North B.C. Canada, where life is pretty normal. She asked how we were, and I, for the first time since this crap began, said that were were feeling low and explained our restrictions. She was stunned as she is in daily contact with 3 other friends from Ireland and they were all ok.

Her No. 1 friend in Co. Meath is living life as normal and visiting all of his siblings' households.

Tough reading that. Not a care in the world for them

Nothing will change with some people and they only extend restrictions for those who are doing their best to stick to the guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

maebee wrote: »

Cool story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭maebee

Cool story.

I don't know what you mean by "Cool story". I was just sharing my experience today regarding covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't know, last March seems an eternity away and if we are being realistic it's going be near the end of year before any bit of normality. I'm just a bit low tonight.

Come March 1st I'm not adhering to restrictions with any great effort anymore. I'll respectfully wear a mask in a shop, etc... but I'll visit friends and family who want to meet up again. The 5km will be gone too. Enough of this ****.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I think the Government are slightly paralysed by fear this time around hence the really slow move to reopen.

The December/January surge was caused by the following.

1. Opening up too much too quick with too high an incidence of disease in the community
    2. Opening up hospitality too early with the virus getting a chance to spread indoors and point 3) adding to this.
    3. A mass of people arriving in from abroad, especially hotspots such as London, and insufficient following of quarantine protocols
    4. 3 weeks of growth in virus incidence before the whole country went and visited family on Xmas day.

None of the above will apply this time around.

Point 1 - we will be having a limited amount of reopening, we are trying to get back to Level 5 rather than glorified Level 2 as we had in December.

Point 2 - hospitality is remaining closed, a huge source of community transmission

Point 3 - no one is coming home in massive numbers, and Xmas level travel is not going to happen

Point 4 - purely a Christmas related issue.

The 5 and 7 day averages should start to drop below 1000 cases per day in the next 7-14 days. This is the level we were at in October when we went to Level 5 and schools and construction remained open with no major outbreaks.

Regardless of when it will be, we need clarity from Government as to when schools and construction can reopen. If they can't provide a date, provide the epidemiological KPIs which will determine reopening (e.g. construction will reopen when all the following metrics fall below the limits outlined, 5 day case average of 800, 1000 in hospital, 170 in ICU).

The uncertainty and lack of clarity as to what's informing decision making is driving people round the twist at the minute. I and others (quite a large number of us) want to know when we can expect to go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,506 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Danno wrote: »
    Come March 1st I'm not adhering to restrictions with any great effort anymore. I'll respectfully wear a mask in a shop, etc... but I'll visit friends and family who want to meet up again. The 5km will be gone too. Enough of this ****.

Glad to know you are happy to put the health and wellbeing of everybody in potential jeopardy, to suit your own psychological wants and whims, another from the “ I have to see people “ brigade .... everybody thought like you we’ll be fûcked dot com... because people have in fact thought like you, people have died. these vaccines are starting but will be months in administering to everybody...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Strumms wrote: »
    Glad to know you are happy to put the health and wellbeing of everybody in potential jeopardy, to suit your own psychological wants and whims, another from the “ I have to see people “ brigade .... everybody thought like you we’ll be fûcked dot com... because people have in fact thought like you, people have died. these vaccines are starting but will be months in administering to everybody...

I don't think it is all so black and white. Restrictions are only needed to flat the curve to help health system to cope.

It must be a proper balance between suppressing it and living with it. The more we flatten the curve, the longer this situation will last. And we don't know how many people will die as a consequence of both actions.

If we let virus run its course, there will be casualties. But if we suppress it and prolong it unnecessarily there is a possibility of even more victims. Because in this way we are also giving the virus time to mutate.

I don't think anyone is wise enough to know what is the best course of action...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

JoChervil wrote: »
    I don't think it is all so black and white. Restrictions are only needed to flat the curve to help health system to cope.

It must be a proper balance between suppressing it and living with it. The more we flatten the curve, the longer this situation will last. And we don't know how many people will die as a consequence of both actions.

If we let virus run its course, there will be casualties. But if we suppress it and prolong it unnecessarily there is a possibility of even more victims. Because in this way we are also giving the virus time to mutate.

I don't think anyone is wise enough to know what is the best course of action...

I think the logic "we should let it run it's course so that it doesn't mutate is false logic." It'll mutate anywhere it is spreading in large enough numbers to allow it to.

The virus is only 1 year old. We don't know what'll happen year 2 or 3. Vaccinations will really help but it must be on a global scale otherwise forget about being able to prevent reimportation of a vaccine beating strain from some unvaccinated part of the world.

edit: here's a video of how they do all of the sequencing. Industrial scale effort. Very interesting.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1357107348100157441?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Less than 1% according to contact tracing.

The travel thing is a total herring.

Strumms wrote: »

And if everyone thought like you we'd be locked down forever.

People have been dying since the dawn of time and people will continue dying long after this vaccine roll out is complete (even of covid, since we're counting deaths of people past the age of average mortality as covid deaths).

High time people took some sort of (reasonable) stand.

For me once the vulnerable groups are vaccinated I'm done with all restrictions, not hanging around another year to vaccinate healthy people (that if they get it will only have mild or no symptoms at all anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

since we're counting deaths of people past the age of average mortality as covid deaths
    What are you proposing? That anyone who dies after the "average" age of death be counted as dying of old age? Because that is a huge amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Understandable why it's in place, as generally people do travel to meet others, but sometimes We don't, I just carry the 100 on me just encase

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    What are you proposing? That anyone who dies after the "average" age of death be counted as dying of old age? Because that is a huge amount of people.

Where did you get that from? They can be counted as whatever their death is caused by, including covid, no issues there.

Stopping the global economy and life as we know it though.. because people that are well within the natural parameters of mortality well, do naturally die of something (like everyone does and will someday as unfortunate as that is), is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I work as a delivery driver for a well known courier company and since Christmas I've noticed a huge increase in the number of customers that want to talk to me when I deliver. At a safe distance, but they are desperate to see someone from outside of their home and to chat. I feel so sorry for some of them, women at home with children, their partner is going out to work every day and they're home schooling. I'm sure there are Fathers in the same position. There is no break for parents, they can't meet up with friends, take the children to a soft play area to blow off steam. Here I am in work at 6am and I moan every morning when my alarm goes off but I do realise how lucky I am to be able to drive around gorgeous countryside every day and have that freedom.

There is a positivity there though, the days are getting longer, flowers are poking through and yesterday I saw blossom on a tree. It was great to get the dogs out in daylight yesterday after work. Hopefully we can move forward in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Less than 1% according to contact tracing.

100% of the cases have originated from travel. The virus didn't start here.

Youre right - lock down the Wuhan wet market immediately, that'll stop the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭prunudo

Tbh, I'm skeptical of some of the data the contact tracers are given. If someone got it from their mate who just returned from the UK or their neighbour over a cup of tea in their house is everyone going to be truly honest, I don't believe so.

Mandatory hotel quarantine definitely doesn't work if you are a small island dependent on freight for imports. It's just not possible so we need to move on.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaStokesITV/status/1356975403173371904?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Mandatory hotel quarantine definitely doesn't work if you are a small island dependent on freight for imports. It's just not possible so we need to move on.

https://twitter.com/JoshuaStokesITV/status/1356975403173371904?s=20

Absolutely correct. Good you recognised that an island territory which produces kippers and brass plates is not comparable with Ireland.

Absolutely correct. Good you recognised that an island territory which produces kippers and brass plates is not comparable with Ireland.

Yeah someone needs to tell the government not to do it asap. It clearly doesn't work. ;) Like who want's Kids to be able to go school and hospitals to function?

Weirdos I say. Give me two weeks in Lanzarote anytime over those selfish demands.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1357040275164659714?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

They were open during 1968 when the Hong Kong flu is estimated to have killed 80000 people in the UK. Difference is that there was no constant media intrusion, social or otherwise, into our lives, and so people just got on with things

And how many people do you think would be killed by covid 19 in the UK if there were no restrictions? The death toll in the UK is incredibly high despite infection control measures such as mask wearing, social distancing and limiting non-essential travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Yeah someone needs to tell the government not to do it asap. It clearly doesn't work. ;) Like who want's Kids to be able to go school and hospitals to function?

Weirdos I say. Give me two weeks in Lanzarote anytime over those selfish demands.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1357040275164659714?s=20

The case numbers are moving in the right direction. Great news. The vast majority of people are doing what they need to. We are moving to the point where things will start to open up. The travel thing right now is a sideshow and an unhelpful one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement