Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All bodily remains are Covid tested.

If you're 87 and riddled with cancer or in heart failure and you contract Covid, its a bit of a chicken and egg situation as to what actually killed you. Covid wouldn't have killed you if you didn't have an underlying condition, or you mightn't have died today of heart failure without having Covid, but rather in two months time.

The point is, its largely irrelevant. What matters is tracking the presence of the disease in a particular environment and shutting down its onward community transmission. And so we say that people in this demographic died WITH Covid rather than OF Covid and the distinction on an individual level doesn't actually matter.

That may sound cold and heartless, but the priorities in a pandemic are clear and they do not extend to carrying out a post mortem on a very old or very ill person to decide if they died of six of one, or half a dozen of another.

The "full picture" you demand is not something to which you are entitled, nor one that our healthcare resources should be tasked at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I am entitled to my opinion the last time I checked.
    The fact is is that a person with stage 4 cancer and who tested negative for covid was deemed to have died with covid. And I'm not making that up. Leo said those exact words.

Citation required.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I am entitled to my opinion the last time I checked.
    The fact is is that a person with stage 4 cancer and who tested negative for covid was deemed to have died with covid. And I'm not making that up. Leo said those exact words.

I'm sure there are errors that occur. However, if the individual did not test positive for covid and there was no significant clinical indication to suggest covid then the death would be denotified.

Regarding opinions. Entitlement isn't the same as respect. You can express an opinion it does not mean it has to be respected by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm sure there are errors that occur. However, if the individual did not test positive for covid and there was no significant clinical indication to suggest covid then the death would be denotified.

Regarding opinions. Entitlement isn't the same as respect. You can express an opinion it does not mean it has to be respected by others.

I'm glad that people have all the answers on here. Its reassuring. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Haha as soon as anyone starts protesting that they're entitled to their opinion, the opinion is always questionable.

• Advertisement

Isn't an opinion always questionable. Haha.

That's why it's called an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

D.Q wrote: »
    Haha as soon as anyone starts protesting that they're entitled to their opinion, the opinion is always questionable.

That's the difference between an opinion, and an informed opinion.

Many 'opinionated' people also think that their entitlement to an opinion means that they can't be ridiculed for it...

It's clear ye don't agree with my opinion, I am glad that ye cleared things up for me.

I'm still not convinced that the info i got back stands up though.

And I didnt think people who are opinionated in nature were not allowed to voice those opinions and certainly didnt expect to be ridiculed.

It's a discussion thread the last time I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

...and if anybody is wondering where the black people live, look at the paler areas on the map on the right.

The areas with the high number of vaccines are where the bigger hospitals are and where a lot of the health care workers would live. And they were the first to be vaccinated there. There wasn't a huge rollout to people outside of health care and residential homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I was delighted to get away from the air-con at the office. I think many people are getting more fresh air than ever before. The whole community seems to be out walking at lunchtime if the weather is any good.

Interesting - I just read your comment out loud to my partner (moved over here about 10 years ago) and she remarked the last year is the first year since she moved over where she wasn't on antibiotics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know is there due to be an official briefing after the Cabinet meeting later? Or with the information out there already no need?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doesn't tie in with their constant push to open schools though. There seems to be a change in tone just this past week or so.

Closed schools was never supposed to be a level 5 lockdown measure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Good to hear that the Moderna vaccine is effective on all mutations of the Covid-19 virus.
    You only need one dose of that one too.
    I know which one I will be getting when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

It’s not multiple choice- you’ll get which ever one you’re offered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Good to hear that the Moderna vaccine is effective on all mutations of the Covid-19 virus.
    You only need one dose of that one too.

That's J&J you're thinking of, Moderna is two doses.

It’s not multiple choice- you’ll get which ever one you’re offered

As Christy Moore said he'd take them all in 1 go if he could.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Kind of avoided covid news and these threads over the last week or so.

My last post was my about my dad catching it as an inpatient in Tallaght. He's on day 9 now and thankfully still no symptoms. He did complain about 'not having a taste for food' but we later realised he meant he had lost his appetite rather than sense of taste.

He had been moved to a covid ward after his positive test, but due to no symptoms, they moved him to free up a bed... to a private nursing home. Now, I was baffled at first tbh, after the nursing home cluster**** in March/April, but the place is run very very well by the looks of things, in terms of infection control. They have areas varying areas where staff don't cross, etc..

He will have been part of the discharge numbers I'd guess, but he's getting much better care, he's in a private room, and is just happy to have a television as obviously he can't have visitors.

First of all I'm very happy to hear that your dad is fine.

I have to say that this terrifies me. I'm sure the nursing home is run as best as they can, but they're just a tiny slip away from an outbreak if anybody messes up.
    Given all the talk of mandatory hotel quarantine, I would much rather see the hotel being used for this cases instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Naos wrote: »
    Interesting - I just read your comment out loud to my partner (moved over here about 10 years ago) and she remarked the last year is the first year since she moved over where she wasn't on antibiotics.

I am convinced air conditioning aggravates my sinuses and is a major cause for my numerous sore throat’s which were monthly. I haven’t been sick since I started working from home. Every now and again I have to work in office and have to constantly drink water because I can feel my throat getting dry.

At home windows get opened every day and I don’t like to have heating on all day as it’s bad for the eczema sufferers in the house.

If there is one long term change that I would personally like to see after Covid it would be if companies would encourage you work form home when you have a cold. Obviously not all jobs can be done from home but if John from accounts stayed at home when he is sick then he won’t spread it to the lads in the warehouse etc. Or if parents could ring the boss and say my child has a cold I am working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Would be a nice boost if swab numbers were < 1k today.

If someone hasn't a not detected result on arrival and tests positive after 5 days, couldn't that mean they may have potentially infected others on plane on way over? Others may have a not detected result but are let on their way. That doesn't make much sense to me tbh. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

eigrod wrote: »
    Would be a nice boost if swab numbers were < 1k today.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Eod100 wrote: »
    As Christy Moore said he'd take them all in 1 go if he could.. :pac:

He's no ordinary man but black will be the colour of his arms nevermind the delerium tremens side effects if he does that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

RTE news : Cabinet agrees to extend Covid restrictions to 5 March

http://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0126/1192030-ireland-covid-latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I am delighted that the government are cracking down on people pissing off abroad for no good reason. I know someone personally who works in an analytical position for Ryanair and the loads going to and from Spain are typically at least 70-80% and higher at the weekends.

There's a reason why when you look at the arrivals board in Dublin Airport you still see Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

thelad95 wrote: »
    I am delighted that the government are cracking down on people pissing off abroad for no good reason. I know someone personally who works in an analytical position for Ryanair and the loads going to and from Spain are typically at least 70-80% and higher at the weekends.

There's a reason why when you look at the arrivals board in Dublin Airport you still see Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura etc

If this continues for much longer, no one will be going anywhere. It will be hard for airlines to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No timeline on schools expected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Still being too slow in this country

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1354082579603984384

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

thelad95 wrote: »

Friend of a friend of mine decided to take a jaunt to Brazil, he is a PT and has been working on the side the whole time....that's him stuck for two weeks in quarantine at his own expense when he is back....well deserved lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement