Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Zara back on about the weddings. Feels like Groundhog Day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Bit more positive from Dr Nolan today , imo.
    Talking about numbers decreasing exponentially every 8 to 12 days , kf we can get to end of February with this .

• Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Woah,this one isn’t holding back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Prof Philip Nolan referencing last May as an example of restriction easing. This is the period when the government eventually had to overrule NPHET to allow any sort of reopening within Ireland during the summer.
    Their unrealism re how many people are going to put up with this non living existence much longer will cause more problems and people will give up following the guidelines.
    We need a new approach - not just lecturing all day every day about never ending lockdowns. What about mass testing in areas of infections, introduction of rapid testing to allow schools to reopen, more proactive approaches and less lockdown and lecturing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Bit more positive from Dr Nolan today , imo.
    Talking about numbers decreasing exponentially every 8 to 12 days , kf we can get to end of February with this .
    Their reluctance to do much more than comment on current numbers can be frustrating. This is where you need Leo to roll in, predicting Level 4 and better times!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Woah,this one isn’t holding back...

She's become a fixture in the pressers lately. She seems to be always looking to stir it up one way or another.

I don't see what relevance her questions have to do with a NPHET press briefing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Move on. I'm not hear for a cervical check briefing.

Prof Philip Nolan referencing last May as an example of restriction easing. This is the period when the government eventually had to overrule NPHET to allow any sort of reopening within Ireland during the summer.
    Their unrealism re how many people are going to put up with this non living existence much longer will cause more problems and people will give up following the guidelines.
    We need a new approach - not just lecturing all day every day about never ending lockdowns. What about mass testing in areas of infections, introduction of rapid testing to allow schools to reopen, more proactive approaches and less lockdown and lecturing.

Yes to all of that , if and when we get numbers down a bit . Hopefully March looking brighter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Why? Percentage positive is down, hospital, ICU numbers dropping, Nolan is saying r number is 0.5 to 0.8, close contacts being tested now, cases are dropping but we are finding more of them that were being missed a couple of weeks ago.

I'll take that!

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    She's become a fixture in the pressers lately. She seems to be always looking to stir it up one way or another.

I don't see what relevance her questions have to do with a NPHET press briefing to be honest.

Absolutely none....Big T seems well able for her....questions may need to be answered but this isn’t the forum for them I’d have thought :confused:

Apparently Gardai now have the powers to check up on home quarantines.
    New regulations have come into force that empower gardaí to call to the homes of people who have arrived from international travel and ensure that they are abiding by mandatory quarantine rules.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0204/1195124-mandatory-travel-quarantine/

Boom.

Que? :confused: Some of us ain't watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

Pretty surprised Dr H is spending so much time on this, nothing to do with the topic of the briefing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Polar101 wrote: »
    Pretty surprised Dr H is spending so much time on this, nothing to do with the topic of the briefing.

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Stheno wrote: »
    What is it?

Cervical check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

What is it?

About a scandal Dr. Holohan is often associated with, which isn't supposed to be discussed in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

is_that_so wrote: »
    Que? :confused: Some of us ain't watching!

Reporter asked question about cervical screening program and should Tony apologise. Going on about 5 minutes plus now about it.

What is it?

Cervical cancer scandal....journo started with talking about Lynsey Bennett the Longford mum who is terminally ill following a false negative smear test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

What is it?

One of the reporters asking would Tony apologise to the cervical check women, he hasnt he has said he regrets what happened

Shin

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »

He's on a hiding to nothing - If he doesn't answer thoroughly he'll be accused of sweeping things under the carpet.

I think the journalist's questions are sensationalist and have nothing to do with what's being discussed in the briefing and I don't think she's looking for much more than aggro and a juicy quote. Holohan spent about five minutes there going into exhaustive detail about the issue and her response was: "So do you have sympathy for these women" - she didn't even listen.

Reporter asked question about cervical screening program and should Tony apologise. Going on about 5 minutes plus now about it.

Sounds like he wants to explain it all and is using the opportunity!
    Bet not what she expected;)

He's on a hiding to nothing - If he doesn't answer thoroughly he'll be accused to sweeping things under the carpet.

I think the journalist's questions are sensationalist and have nothing to do with what's being discussed in the briefing and I don't think she's looking for much more than aggro and a juicy quote. Holohan spent about five minutes there going into exhaustive detail about the issue and her response was: "So do you have sympathy for these women" - she didn't even listen.

Pretty shameful I thought, for a journalist to exploit a briefing about COVID-19, in the hope of generating sensationalist headlines by cornering Holohan on a matter that has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

But as I've said before, these "journalists" ask the worst possible questions - and they never fail twice a week to demonstrate their lack of journalistic utility.

Nolan gave a good explanation there of the progress and keen to point out any apparent stalling isn't reality.

To be honest I am a little bit worried, at some level, that this potential plateau that was flagged the last day is being attributed to the "weekend effect" which every long term reader of the thread has known about for months.

Is it actually a possibility that they're only noticing this now? I kinda like to think they're a bit more clued in than the likes of us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

He's on a hiding to nothing - If he doesn't answer thoroughly he'll be accused to sweeping things under the carpet.

He should have stepped aside that time

Should have 100% percent stepped down after his statement on the 20th March 2020 that we didn't need to lockdown

11 year olds on Reddit knew it was serious then

He's been a disaster from the start and in every role he's been in.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0320/1124273-coronavirus-tracker/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭crossman47

Pretty shameful I thought, for a journalist to exploit a briefing about COVID-19, in the hope of generating sensationalist headlines by cornering Holohan on a matter that has nothing to do with the matter at hand.

But as I've said before, these "journalists" ask the worst possible questions - and they never fail twice a week to demonstrate their lack of journalistic utility.

Well she got her answer. Maybe now she realises (perhaps for the first time) that the womens' treatment was not affected by this issue. He made sure he put her straight.

Opportunistic ,but not shameful.
    If anything the reporters have been nearly too well behaved in general and don't often ask the questions that we are all wondering about .
    One would even think they don't follow the thread ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

There does need to be some sort of screening to keep the likes of her out. Wasting everyones time.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Well she got her answer. Maybe now she realises (perhaps for the first time) that the womens' treatment was not affected by this issue. He made sure he put her straight.

He sure did.

It also demonstrates one of the great problems with many young so-called journalists (and even some experienced ones, too) - that what matters is a headline rather than the truth - because a headline is far more exciting than the truth.

At least George Lee came next, asking questions that at least attempt to illuminate and edify the public regarding COVID-19 in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Opportunistic ,but not shameful.
    If anything the reporters have been nearly too well behaved in general and don't often ask the questions that we are all wondering about .
    One would even think they don't follow the thread ! :D
    Oh they've been appalling in the questions they ask, so much so that the extremely rare good question makes you sit up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement