Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 KlArmy

Government is lacking here

No clear plan or planning, lockdown as necessary and await vaccines

Major lack of messaging

We are bombarded with stats which don't even register with the majority.
    No information campaign or effort on Test ,Trace and Isolate

The above is proven to work on current and future variants with or without effective vaccines

Border Controls largely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

KlArmy wrote: »
    No information campaign
    We have that, but apparently it's called "doom-mongering".

Ficheall wrote: »
    We have that, but apparently it's called "doom-mongering".

There's nothing except stats which are meaningless to the majority

Compare it to Road Safety where you have or had decent messaging

Like "reduce your contacts, self-isolate upon return from travel, wear a mask, avoid unnecessary shopping trips" etc? What info would you be disseminating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

That's just nonsense. Have you, for example, in the past year heard of social distancing or hand washing? If you have, then an information campaign has reached you.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    That's just nonsense. Have you, for example, in the past year heard of social distancing or hand washing? If you have, then an information campaign has reached you.

I heard it from other sources

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Government is lacking here

No clear plan or planning, lockdown as necessary and await vaccines

Major lack of messaging

We are bombarded with stats which don't even register with the majority.
    No information campaign or effort on Test ,Trace and Isolate

The above is proven to work on current and future variants with or without effective vaccines

Border Controls largely ignored.
    "I think" or "IMO" is missing from this post because it is completely fact free otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Completely off topic. I feel the reporting and statistics of road deaths is the most disingenuous thing the state and media do. If we have a very low number of road deaths in one year followed by a slight increase in the next that next year is made out to be terrible and all sorts of bullsh1t campaigns with little proven effectiveness get rolled out. Likewise, if we have worst year of carnage ever and the following year the deaths are down closer to normal levels great credit is taken by politicians and state entities alike for this reduction. Despite the fact a reduction would probably have happened anyway.

Tl:Dr I strongly disagree with spurious usage of statistics. Least for this pandemic they let people know the rolling 5, 7, 14 day incidence rates.

Like..My primary school didn't teach addition because I had already learned it at home..?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It has been rammed home constantly on tv, radio, outside advertising, papers, NPHET briefings, press conferences, social media, what more do you want exactly?
    It beamed into your head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

prunudo wrote: »
    We definitely messed up the balance in December and with what transpired in early January. We are well on top of cases now but remember we have another 4 weeks of these restrictions.
    The government are petrified to get it wrong again and are going for the over cautious wait and see model again.
    Given how we controlled numbers in lockdown 2, personally see no reason not to open construction from middle of this month and schools from whenever they were due to return after midterm.

We messed up the balance last summer, we messed it up at christmas, we will undoubtedly mess it up this time too. Its a blind man fumbling in the dark job.
    But at this stage, a year in, it is not that hard to know how to keep oneself and close ones safe and that doesnt necessarily mean blindly following arbitrary restrictions.
    Now im off for a nice walk outside the 5km.
    Pain in my hole walking around st annes park looking at doleful zombies trudging up and down.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Completely off topic. I feel the reporting and statistics of road deaths is the most disingenuous thing the state and media do. If we have a very low number of road deaths in one year followed by a slight increase in the next that next year is made out to be terrible and all sorts of bullsh1t campaigns with little proven effectiveness get rolled out. Likewise, if we have worst year of carnage ever and the following year the deaths are down closer to normal levels great credit is taken by politicians and state entities alike for this reduction. Despite the fact they'd probably have happened anyway.

Tl:Dr I strongly disagree with spurious usage of statistics. Least for this pandemic they let people know the rolling 5, 7, 14 day incidence rates.

You're talking about road safety stats

I'm talking about road safety messaging

I learnt at a young age how to cross a road safely because the messaging was in place

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ficheall wrote: »
    Preventing all transmission from imported cases is only possible with proper enforced quarantine immediately upon arrival.

I agree with you but what Tony is basically saying is that we don't have a health service that is capable of doing this or a government for that matter.

My concern is that we had a year to plan for this and now the CMO is admitting we basically don't have a health service that is robust enough to tackle the fundamentals of the pandemic.

Is that not his job?

For transparency Im completely anti - lockdown. I feel these lock downs are destroying our country and economy. There has to be a better way to tackle this virus than rolling lockdowns.

But its all making sense now that our own CMO isn't confident with his health service. What other aspects of the health service isn't "robust" enough?
    Vaccine rollout? Track and Trace?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hellrazer wrote: »
    While its all quite positive theres one sentence from Tony Holohan that should have people up in arms and should have Tony on the Dole.

They had a full year to prepare for this (this is what we were told lockdown Number 1 was for) yet here we are a year on and we`re still not robust enough to prevent a local transmission from an imported case.

I honestly fear for this country if this is what we have managing our health service. Scary times ahead.

This has been flagged by NPHET. The cause for this is lack of public health doctors and associated supports, and that's on the MoH and HSE

XsApollo wrote: »
    I’m sure you understand the logic of your comparison between Ireland and the UK, but you are just choosing to ignore it.

My sister works as a nurse in Addenbrooks Hospital in the UK. While she is no fan of Boris she said the Government has done really well in the rollout of their vaccine. They were extremely organised from Day 1, they signed up for contracts really early and the NHS and volunteers with previous medical experience recruited to vaccinate people . This recruitment was done in December, before vaccination started!

We haven't even done that yet here! Everything in Ireland is done reactively, not proactively! We are looking into setting up vaccination centres today according to Stephen Donnelly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,787 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You're talking about road safety stats

I'm talking about road safety messaging

I learnt at a young age how to cross a road safely because the messaging was in place

But who thought you was it not your parents? AKA "other sources"

pjohnson wrote: »
    But who thought you was it not your parents? AKA "other sources"

No

Road Safety Ads

I grew up in the UK so it was prob better than here but the message was drummed in

Stop Look and Listen then Cross the Road

Nothing to do with parenting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can we get back on topic please and stop with the daft comparisons to road deaths. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

https://www.ft.com/content/0cdc8563-1e6d-4089-bedb-b0f675c0d683
    Israel provides first signs of mass vaccination driving down virus cases
    ^^ paywalled but some great data coming out of Israel. Their cases and hospitalisations of vaccinated groups are dropping fast, even accounting for their lockdown etc the vaccination program is having a huge positive effect on their health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    That is not the point. Point was that if the population at large was asked to lockdown for a significant period to increase life expectancy of those in their mid 80s by a month, do you think there would be significant buy in? I don't. But virtue signal away.

What a narrow view in life, aging and the need for proper restrictions to suppress a pandemic virus,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

My sister works as a nurse in Addenbrooks Hospital in the UK. While she is no fan of Boris she said the Government has done really well in the rollout of their vaccine. They were extremely organised from Day 1, they signed up for contracts really early and the NHS and volunteers with previous medical experience recruited to vaccinate people . This recruitment was done in December, before vaccination started!

We haven't even done that yet here! Everything in Ireland is done reactively, not proactively! We are looking into setting up vaccination centres today according to Stephen Donnelly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I cant believe that the same bloody comparison comes up literally every day with no looking beyond the face value of it. It’s a wilful ignorance that only serves to fuel the same sense of outrage. I’m incredibly sceptical of the government, and I think they’re an incompetent bunch of boobs. But that doesn’t make them incapable of doing some things right. Our roll out of the vaccines THAT WE HAVE has been largely successful so far. But you could post til you’re blue in the face and some people will still not believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hospital report out

1158 in hospital (down from 1239)
    177 in ICU (down from 183 but sadly 6 deaths)

Good to see the reduction in hospitalisation

Think we're well on track for Philip Nolan end of February numbers and hopefully we might be a little under them

"This would mean in the region of 600 to 800 people in hospital, with 60 to 80 of these in ICU"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭StevenToast

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good to see the reduction in hospitalisation

Think we're well on track for Philip Nolan end of February numbers and hopefully we might be a little under them

"This would mean in the region of 600 to 800 people in hospital, with 60 to 80 of these in ICU"

Oh great...lets have a meaningful paddys day

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Everybody accepts there won't be a meaningful St Patrick's Day so why bring that up?

The more progress we see with cases, hospitalisation and ICU the better options that things might ease slightly after Easter

We're being well.prepped by government that only things that will open in March is construction and schools and they might allow meeting up with 1 family outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Everybody accepts there won't be a meaningful St Patrick's Day so why bring that up?

The more progress we see with cases, hospitalisation and ICU the better options that things might ease slightly after Easter

We're being well.prepped by government that only things that will open in March is construction and schools and they might allow meeting up with 1 family outdoors

I will have a meaningful St Patrick’s day. But meaningful to o me is not going on the lash and watching a parade.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The next 2 weeks are crucial!!!

I will have a meaningful St Patrick’s day. But meaningful to o me is not going on the lash and watching a parade.

Fair enough but not what the other poster was getting at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Fair enough but not what the other poster was getting at

I know. But getting sick of this ‘meaningful’ crap about Christmas. There was complacency but on balance we have done quite well as a country. Although the narrative over the last few weeks has become a bit horrible and bitter to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You are comparing the fact Uk vaccinated 10 million people and saying that is twice over . You do understand the difference in population between the 2 countries? Or you just choose to ignore that fact?
    Ireland have vaccinated 5 times the population of San Marino for instance. Round of applause for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Just in from 'paying my respects' to a member of extended family who died with covid. We just stood along the road and watched the cortege pass. Strange experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement