Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

XsApollo wrote: »
    You are comparing the fact Uk vaccinated 10 million people and saying that is twice over . You do understand the difference in population between the 2 countries? Or you just choose to ignore that fact?
    Ireland have vaccinated 5 times the popula
    1. tion of San Marino for instance. Round of applause for that.

.................regardless........its the scaling no matter what the population. The UK hope to have all their over 50's vaccinated by the end of May. What are our targets for our over 50's, our over 60's and even our over 70's............like when?
    It will be hard on people here when we see our friends and family living in the UK jetting off on holidays in June. We have done a year of this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭XsApollo

[/LIST]

.................regardless........its the scaling no matter what the population. The UK hope to have all their over 50's vaccinated by the end of May. What are our targets for our over 50's, our over 60's and even our over 70's............like when?
    It will be hard on people here when we see our friends and family living in the UK jetting off on holidays in June. We have done a year of this now.

The targets for those age groups are published multiple times.
    Jetting of where in June? Jetting off to other countries that still haven’t vaccinated their population and have travel restrictions? Don’t think that’s going to happen somehow.
    I’m not disagreeing it’s **** , but there is a lot of hyperbole about how crap the vaccine rollout is.
    the UK are off doing there own thing, broke away from the recommended dosing schedule .
    If they did that here and their were any negative impacts we would be slated for not following.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭jackboy

I know. But getting sick of this ‘meaningful’ crap about Christmas. There was complacency but on balance we have done quite well as a country. Although the narrative over the last few weeks has become a bit horrible and bitter to be honest.

Depends on your definition of doing well. The only way we could have done worse was if we let the virus spread without restrictions which would have led to many multiples of the deaths we have seen.

I don’t think we have done good though. We are still using the rolling lockdown plan of last March with no consideration given to what we have learned since. I don’t think many are aware of the long term economic damage we are doing which will in reality restrict the lives of so many over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭XsApollo

And another point to add, we have administered every dose we have received. Bar a few 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

And another point to add, we have administered every dose we have received. Bar a few 1000

how many have we administered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

how many have we administered?
    Approximately 248k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

gmisk wrote: »
    Approximately 248k

Is that as up to yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is that as up to yesterday?
    Thursday seemingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I cant believe that the same bloody comparison comes up literally every day with no looking beyond the face value of it. It’s a wilful ignorance that only serves to fuel the same sense of outrage. I’m incredibly sceptical of the government, and I think they’re an incompetent bunch of boobs. But that doesn’t make them incapable of doing some things right. Our roll out of the vaccines THAT WE HAVE has been largely successful so far. But you could post til you’re blue in the face and some people will still not believe it.

If they are vaccinating as they get the vaccine then any criticism is unwarranted tbh.
    Also to all those giving out about how the vaccinations are progressing. Currently the limiting factor is how many vaccines we are getting weekly. We are in the EU deal. How would Ireland of gotten a vaccine allocation without the EU. No way we could of competed with US, Canada, UK, France, Germany etc for supplies and we most likely would of paid more per vaccine due to our population. The EU hedged their bets and bought multiple vaccines more than the EU population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

1074 Positive Swabs
    5.58% positivity rate

Decent numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

mohawk wrote: »
    If they are vaccinating as they get the vaccine then any criticism is unwarranted tbh.
    Also to all those giving out about how the vaccinations are progressing. Currently the limiting factor is how many vaccines we are getting weekly. We are in the EU deal. How would Ireland of gotten a vaccine allocation without the EU. No way we could of competed with US, Canada, UK, France, Germany etc for supplies and we most likely would of paid more per vaccine due to our population. The EU hedged their bets and bought multiple vaccines more than the EU population.
    anything that the EU is involved in moves at a snails pace...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

1074 Positive Swabs
    5.58% positivity rate

Decent numbers

1421 last Saturday so 374 less today

Good progress

Cases this week

Friday 05/2 1047
    Thursday 04/2 1318
    Wednesday 03/2 1013
    Tuesday 02/2 879
    Monday 01/2 1062

Total 5319

Last week
    Friday 29/1 1254
    Thursday 28/1 1466
    Wednesday 27/1 1335
    Tuesday 26/1 928
    Monday 25/1 1372

Total 6355

This week to date 1036 less cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

[/LIST]

How much will they gain from their rush and evidence free use of AZ on older people as they won't be out of lockdown before the summer fall off in the virus and by summers end we will have caught up, with out risking AZ on the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Good progress

Cases this week

Friday 05/2 1047
    Thursday 04/2 1318
    Wednesday 03/2 1013
    Tuesday 02/2 879
    Monday 01/2 1062

Total 5319

Last week
    Friday 29/1 1254
    Thursday 28/1 1466
    Wednesday 27/1 1335
    Tuesday 26/1 928
    Monday 25/1 1372

Total 6355

Also worth adding that we are fully back testing close contacts now. So this week was always going to be slowed progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

[/LIST]

The way things are going I don’t think too many will be jetting off anywhere in June. Every day we hear doubts being expressed by the medics about how effective the vaccines are in coping with new variants of the virus. There is very little definitive data yet and new variants are emerging all the time.
    Not even the right wing politicians in the UK, despite their jingoism over the vaccine rollout, are recommending that anyone should be booking their foreign holiday in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I will have a meaningful St Patrick’s day. But meaningful to o me is not going on the lash and watching a parade.

Same here. I would be happy to be able to meet family in a park for a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The targets for those age groups are published multiple times.
    Jetting of where in June? Jetting off to other countries that still haven’t vaccinated their population and have travel restrictions? Don’t think that’s going to happen somehow.
    I’m not disagreeing it’s **** , but there is a lot of hyperbole about how crap the vaccine rollout is.
    the UK are off doing there own thing, broke away from the recommended dosing schedule .
    If they did that here and their were any negative impacts we would be slated for not following.

There are multiple publications reporting that the U.K. is negotiating travel corridors with Greece, Majorca and other destinations from June onwards. The EU expects most of the vulnerable population to be vaccinated by then and many more.
    Meanwhile we're being told to stay here, lose flight/holiday money on holidays moved to Summer 2021 and fork out a fortune to see the rain and wind at the same time.
    This is so unfair on Irish citizens. Either force the airlines to cancel the flights and refund the tax paying citizens that have given up so much over this past year, or allow them to travel and organise it properly. I am disgusted at the finger wagging, vilification approach. It is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Good progress

Cases this week

Friday 05/2 1047
    Thursday 04/2 1318
    Wednesday 03/2 1013
    Tuesday 02/2 879
    Monday 01/2 1062

Total 5319

Last week
    Friday 29/1 1254
    Thursday 28/1 1466
    Wednesday 27/1 1335
    Tuesday 26/1 928
    Monday 25/1 1372

Total 6355

That is a solid depreciation once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭redarmy

827 new cases confirmed.

55 additional deaths

36 of these deaths occurred in February, 18 of these in occurred in January. One under investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

oceanman wrote: »
    anything that the EU is involved in moves at a snails pace...

Oh you think we would do faster on our own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The way things are going I don’t think too many will be jetting off anywhere in June. Every day we hear doubts being expressed by the medics about how effective the vaccines are in coping with new variants of the virus. There is very little definitive data yet and new variants are emerging all the time.
    Not even the right wing politicians in the UK, despite their jingoism over the vaccine rollout, are recommending that anyone should be booking their foreign holiday in June.

Oh the variants, what if this, what if that, what if a new virus emerges. The vaccines are effective against all current variants.

So you’re saying the vaccines are a waste of time? So how many years do you recommended we stay all shut down just incase a new variant pops up? 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? Maybe 50 years?

I suspect i won’t get an honest answer of your actual thoughts just a deflect reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Much lower percentage of cases have been in Dublin compared to previous two waves. I wonder why that is

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wadacrack wrote: »
    Much lower percentage of cases have been in Dublin compared to previous two waves. I wonder why that is

Christmas visits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Saturday 06/2 827
    Friday 05/2 1047
    Thursday 04/2 1318
    Wednesday 03/2 1013
    Tuesday 02/2 879
    Monday 01/2 1062

Total 6146

Last week
    Saturday 30/1 1414
    Friday 29/1 1254
    Thursday 28/1 1466
    Wednesday 27/1 1335
    Tuesday 26/1 928
    Monday 25/1 1372

Total 7769

1623 less cases this week so far

Bit of a backlog in swabs but that's very good progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Oh you think we would do faster on our own?
    of course. we wouldnt have layers of bureaucracy to hold us back...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

oceanman wrote: »
    of course. we wouldnt have layers of bureaucracy to hold us back...

We also wouldn't have any vaccines.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

wadacrack wrote: »

Feels like some counties managed to avoid a lot of the first and second waves, but not the third - while cases in Dublin have been high all the time.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    We also wouldn't have any vaccines.......

Just like all those other countries not in the EU :pac:

The seychelles are aiming to have 70% population vaccinated by end of the month.....

..its ok to critise the EU for being cumbersome yanno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

• Advertisement

Just like all those other countries not in the EU :pac:

The seychelles are aiming to have 70% population vaccinated by end of the month.....

..its ok to critise the EU for being cumbersome yanno

Look at the list. Where are Canada, Australia, Japan, Korea...., never mind most small non aligned countries.

An island with 100k people or oil states are not representative of the rest of the world.

Do you believe there a warehouses full of unclaimed vaccines?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement