Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Am I understanding this correctly? So there is potentially a 1700 backlog to add to the figures which would wipe out what we thought was a reduction in cases over the last 7 days?

That would be disappointing alright

1700 is a huge change

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

is_that_so wrote: »
    The age profile is a lot better than many countries. Apart from a Delhi test no other part of India is claiming herd immunity. There is also a suggestion that the prevalence of typhoid and TB might make immune systems better at dealing with COVID.

The age profile might explain their very low death rate but it does not explain the low infection rate. It’s curious that India has not featured much in news reports, (good or bad), during this pandemic even though it contains one sixth of the world population.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

Some contributor on the Brendan O'Connor (medic I assume) suggesting that inter county travel wont happen in Ireland during summer!

I think I may just go mad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

alentejo wrote: »
    Some contributor on the Brendan O'Connor (medic I assume) suggesting that inter county travel wont happen in Ireland during summer!

Oh christ. I am living for my one week by the Atlantic.

Dr Nina Byrnes was the contributor- she is a GP - so I am not sure how much I would believe her opinion - and it is just that - opinion. She is singing from the same hymn sheet at Tony Holohan and that's understandable, but it doesnt mean it will happen.

They also interviewed the CEO of Irish SME Association who believes mental health is on the ground, as are the hopes and potential livelihoods of hundreds of thousands small businesses in Ireland along with delayed diagnosis and trials for cancer. There is more to health than Covid. There will also be an end to the PUP. Things will have to open up and while I believe foreign travel will be almost zero this year, the island of Ireland should open up for domestic purposes. Our Covid numbers were miniscule last Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

optogirl wrote: »
    Oh christ. I am living for my one week by the Atlantic.

It was a GP with an opinion , nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Anyone who believes people won't travel between counties in the summer doesn't understand humans

iamwhoiam wrote: »

And yet given airtime, like so many others with similar views, to help continue to push the lockdown agenda. Getting pretty sick of the Irish approach to this, led by NPHET and RTÉ, and once I’ve gone the week after next to sunnier climes, I don’t think I will be back in Ireland until this is over. Probably spend most of the rest of the year in the UK. Which saddens me immensely but want to be in a place that doesn’t push this down your throat every single day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Dr Nina and the rest of the GPs are going to make a fortune on the vaccinations. They have negotiated a rate of €60 per person vaccinated. (All vaccines and syringes etc supplied to them free, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Dr Nina and the rest of the GPs are going to make a fortune on the vaccinations. They have negotiated a rate of €60 per person vaccinated. (All vaccines and syringes etc supplied to them free, of course).

That's a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Roger_007 wrote: »

The amount translates to €91 million euro in fees to GPs. The cost of PUP is in excess of €350 million a week. Vaccination is the only acceptable way out of this mess, the GP fees are a tiny cost in comparison to the economic damage the country is suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Weirdly, the most vaccinated country in the world, Israel, is declining at a slower rate than many other places, despite also still being in lockdown. The US is doing ok at vaccinating people with more than 36 million doses administered, but its too soon for that to be responsible for the drastic drop in cases (I think its over a 50% decline over the past 2 weeks now) and hospitalisations. Not many places are still under full restrictions, even California have been relaxing them the past couple of weeks. Some places are completely open for months and still seeing declines.

Seasonality? The beginnings of herd immunity? Or maybe the new testing recommendations by the WHO? That wouldn't account for fewer hospitalisations though

It very interesting I'm surprised it doesn't seem to get much airtime in the media in Ireland or the uk.
    It's big news in Poland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

There are times I wish the bond markets would suddenly start charging us massive interest rates to snap us as a nation out of this .

+1000 let's snap out of it of this silliness, open up and have a meaningful Valentine's Day. We deserve it.

The amount translates to €91 million euro in fees to GPs. The cost of PUP is in excess of €350 million a week. Vaccination is the only acceptable way out of this mess, the GP fees are a tiny cost in comparison to the economic damage the country is suffering.

Everything you say is true. But it also true that €60 is far too much for the job. Consultants and doctors earn more in Ireland than any other EU country, and yet they still spend time telling us our health service is under resourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Oh great...lets have a meaningful paddys day

One big plus to all of this pahlavah is the opportunity to positively change things like this....

Relocate St Patricks Day from it's winter depths to June/July....perhaps even merge it with the 12th July celebrations 'up the road'.

It was always a real bummer to compare the Republic's young children standing frozen on floats in almost zero temperatures with portly oul red faced Orangemen wearing four-cornered hankies on their heads in a sweltering field mid-July...:o

One Politician did suggest cancelling Christmas,in favour of the Govt ordering 2 replacement Public Holidays around mid-summer,but as with many sensible proposals in Irish Public Life,it was lost in the long-grass.

Bring back Better,as they say ....on the Mainland !! ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Everything you say is true. But it also true that €60 is far too much for the job. Consultants and doctors earn more in Ireland than any other EU country, and yet they still spend time telling us our health service is under resourced.
    It's needs driven. This is no time to split hairs over the negotiations for savings of a few euro.

Isn't the €60 for two jabs?
    As for under resourced I would disagree, the problem is how the money is spent. Also the compensation culture in Ireland greatly increases the cost of the health service here. I could explain but it would derail the thread .

Isn't the €60 for two jabs?
    As for under resourced I would disagree, the problem is how the money is spent. Also the compensation culture in Ireland greatly increases the cost of the health service here. I could explain but it would derail the thread .

It is for 2 jabs, it is still a lot for a very quick process. I largely agree with your other points but the cost of medical negligence insurance in Ireland is only one part of the higher costs.

It is for 2 jabs, it is still a lot for a very quick process. I agree with your other points. :)

60 euros for two jabs is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

A bit of light relief on a Sunday.

• Advertisement

60 euros for two jabs is fine.

£12stg for two jabs up in Newry is a bit finer ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I seen elsewhere UK GP’s are getting £12 per jab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Wombatman wrote: »
    A bit of light relief on a Sunday.

Great voices :)

Hellrazer wrote: »
    While its all quite positive theres one sentence from Tony Holohan that should have people up in arms and should have Tony on the Dole.

They had a full year to prepare for this (this is what we were told lockdown Number 1 was for) yet here we are a year on and we`re still not robust enough to prevent a local transmission from an imported case.

I honestly fear for this country if this is what we have managing our health service. Scary times ahead.

Our overall Health spending is c 7.8% of our GDP,which puts Ireland someplace around mid-way in EU terms.

There is certainly scope for querying exactly where much of this funding is being directed,with perhaps a closer focus on the "Emergency" spending undertaken by the HSE since last Feb...I delve into History for the relevant quotation...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/just-leave-that-to-me-and-ray-burke-26162982.html
    On route, Mr Gogarty asked: ``Will we get a receipt for this?`` to which he said Mr Bailey replied: `` Will we fuchk!''.

There, Mr Murphy produced his envelope containing £40,000. Mr Gogarty said Mr Bailey also produced an envelope which he assumed contained £40,000 but there ``could have been feathers in it''.

For me,it's only a matter of time before some fresh faced young Accountant is given the task of reconciling the Covid Account,and I suspect the Gogarty/Bailey conversation will be recalled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭thebronze14

The_Brood wrote: »
    Idk how it is in other cities, but Dublin city center looks like an apocalyptic wasteland. Druggies flowing all over the streets, screaming, their dogs going wild, not a guard anywhere around...just total wasteland. Land of misery.
    And what does it look like now in lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Anyone who actually believes that will be the case is a ****ing moron.

El Sueño wrote: »

Leo has a place booked in Sligo for the Summer, so he seems fairly confident of a holiday.
    I'd ignore any medic seeking their few minutes of fame particularly in an area that is nothing got to do with them.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    £12stg for two jabs up in Newry is a bit finer ?

For sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The_Brood wrote: »
    Idk how it is in other cities, but Dublin city center looks like an apocalyptic wasteland. Druggies flowing all over the streets, screaming, their dogs going wild, not a guard anywhere around...just total wasteland. Land of misery.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX3d8UqVYV17pEGHbmfEHS9nf6c8jAdpogqohBoKXTdN5dED4-&s

It's not that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭jams100

El Sueño wrote: »

I would've agreed with you last year but these days I'm not so sure.
    Come the summer we'll be told we'll be rewarded by getting to go to another county and then we'll be blamed for something some next winter again. That cycle will just continue.

Either way come two to three years time we'll be back to 700 people on trolleys. Sorry for being so negative this morning but i really don't see any long term change coming from this other than the working from home thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement