Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

60 euros for two jabs is fine.

Given the seemingly large amount of people that don't realise they have high blood pressure, tacking on an auto blood pressure check would take a few extra seconds and perhaps provide a country wide benefit to many people who, otherwise, would not have attended a GP and not known of potential issues.

Just an idea. I'm sure there are other quick health checks that the GP could do included in the cost to get some societal benefit out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Given the seemingly large amount of people that don't realise they have high blood pressure, tacking on an auto blood pressure check would take a few extra seconds and perhaps provide a country wide benefit to many people who, otherwise, would not have attended a GP and not known of potential issues.

Just an idea. I'm sure there are other quick health checks that the GP could do included in the cost to get some societal benefit out of it.

Good point. Many people will be going in to their GP for their jab and saying "By the way, Doctor....".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Roger_007 wrote: »
    What’s happening in India. It was predicted that India would be one of the worst hit countries but the latest figures suggest that the rate of new infections is vanishingly small and declining steadily. If our infection rate was the same as India we would have less than 5 cases per day.
    Have they achieved herd immunity?
    They also had almost linear growth followed by almost linear decline.. I'm not sure I'd trust their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,830 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New data from the UK suggests that, contrary to the initial reports, the UK strain might actually be more deadly than the original variant. Dr. Peter Rabinowitz is the director of the UW Center for One Health Research

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good point. Many people will be going in to their GP for their jab and saying "By the way, Doctor....".
    They'll structure this in a way that the chit-chat is kept to a minimum. Each patient will likely get screened by a nurse (Questions, HR, BP, etc). Then into the GP, jab, done, out again into the waiting area.

The craic of taking an hour for a chat to discuss their son's new child and the weird thing on their foot will mess up scheduling and won't be permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

seamus wrote: »
    They'll structure this in a way that the chit-chat is kept to a minimum. Each patient will likely get screened by a nurse (Questions, HR, BP, etc). Then into the GP, jab, done, out again into the waiting area.

The craic of taking an hour for a chat to discuss their son's new child and the weird thing on their foot will mess up scheduling and won't be permitted.

Fully agree. And, in line with other vaccinations at many GP practices, it'll mostly be the practice nurses doing them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    New data from the UK suggests that, contrary to the initial reports, the UK strain might actually be more deadly than the original variant. Dr. Peter Rabinowitz is the director of the UW Center for One Health Research

Can you post a link to this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Can you post a link to this please?

It's just based on the exact same evidence as that published on 21st January when it was first announced by Boris Johnson. I have no clue why it's been posted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,584 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

jams100 wrote:
    I would've agreed with you last year but these days I'm not so sure. Come the summer we'll be told we'll be rewarded by getting to go to another county and then we'll be blamed for something some next winter again. That cycle will just continue.
    As soon as we get down to double digits there'll be inter county travel again.
    Lol I remember the amount of people attacking me on here when I suggested we were opening up two weeks too early at Christmas. Lessons hopefully have been learned now and we stay shut until this thing gets down to mid double digits. I personally believe we'll get there just before Easter.

At that stage we hopefully have started vaccinating those with underlying conditions. We will continue to social distance, wear masks and wash our hands but we should be able to visit other households.
    jams100 wrote:
    Either way come two to three years time we'll be back to 700 people on trolleys. Sorry for being so negative this morning but i really don't see any long term change coming from this other than the working from home thing
    This is an entirely separate issue. I wish I had it in me to go out and find like-minded people who would be interested in sorting this country out and form a new political party with the aim of asking the electorate to give us one term to fix the health service, our welfare system and the many other areas that need to fixed. I'm talking about putting together a group of non-politicians, experts like doctors, nurses, accountants, economists etc.
    It's been made clear during this pandemic that the three largest parties are not capable of running a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Here is a passing thought on India. People mentioned their generally low numbers. Bhang is used in cooking there, and in yoghurt drinks, even among people who do not smoke weed. Mumbai and New Delhi are among the top 10 cities in the world for the consumption of cannabis, specifically as drink or sweetened recipes. Cannabis also grows wild and is used in the villages.

https://www.rt.com/news/514596-cbd-effective-covid-support-treatment/

It could be that contributes a bit, plus rural use of cheap Ivermectin against parasitic diseases (prophylactic use has been studied in Bhubaneshwar - https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.29.20222661v1.full.pdf ) plus generally being tough from having a lot more dirt and disease than we have to cope with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭gipi

Some people (my father was one of them) get increased blood pressure when in a medical setting, so a health check during vaccination visits might not give totally accurate results.

gipi wrote: »
    Some people (my father was one of them) get increased blood pressure when in a medical setting, so a health check during vaccination visits might not give totally accurate results.

Yes. White coat. But still will show up serious issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

seamus wrote: »

It is GP practice driven, but does that mean GPs have to give the jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It is GP practice driven, but does that mean GPs have to give the jab?

Whoever is trained can give them, so could be GP, practise nurse etc.

The main reason for the discrepancy in prices between here and UK is that our GPs are doing all the paperwork and scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yes. White coat. But still will show up serious issues.

Just checked the NHS when going for the vaccine no mention of blood pressure check you will be asked if you are allergic to anything if not you get the injection, if the were going to start medical checks they would never get it done relation in the North got it asked questions on allergy then the injection

The main reason for the discrepancy in prices between here and UK is that our GPs are doing all the paperwork and scheduling.

Agree. We are outsourcing the logistics. For over 70's that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

1024 cases
    12 deaths

Good to see a low death count, hopefully it remains like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

eagle eye wrote: »

Death figures on weekends are rarely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Dr Nina and the rest of the GPs are going to make a fortune on the vaccinations. They have negotiated a rate of €60 per person vaccinated. (All vaccines and syringes etc supplied to them free, of course).
    That's a disgrace.

It's naked profiteering is what it is

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

How's your brother getting on with the Ivermectin. Seems they haven't ruled it out just yet. Heat well turn out to be right, but a tad premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I see a local GPs car in the drive of the surgery today
    He never works on a Sunday so am presuming he is organising his lists and schedules etc . It takes a lot of pre organisation

How's your brother getting on with the Ivermectin. Seems they haven't ruled it out just yet. Heat well turn out to be right, but a tad premature.
    The Ivermectin treatment is currently in a clinical trial in Oxford.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Death figures on weekends are rarely accurate.

They are rarely accurate any day.

Last 5 Sunday's

January 10th - 4842
    January 17th - 3231
    January 24th - 1910
    January 31st - 1414
    February 7th - 1024

It's naked profiteering is what it is

I disagree. That is for two shots and all the admin.

I disagree. That is for two shots and all the admin.

£12GBP or €13.80 over the border...perhaps they have less admin.

Or that the wages of the nurses, admin etc are probably already covered under the NHS.

That could be it. Still a hell of a difference. Do we not have nurses and admin employed by the HSE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

GBP 12.58 per dose in UK, = approx 14 euro per dose

Here 25 dose + 25 dose + 10 for admin = 60 per person for two doses.

I'm guessing the NHS does the "admin" in the UK, whereas it seems the HSE has decided to ask/get the GP practices to do the "admin".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement