Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭jackboy

So you want to take away the right to body autonomy? Almost like the recent referendum never happened.
    I will be taking the vaccine when available if it means my life gets back to normal, but I respect the right of others to decide for themselves.
    Perhaps change your name to Jack Boot, it would reflect your attitude better.

I’m only saying what may happen. Alternatively, we may have periodic restrictions when thinks get out of hand, or we just let carnage happen in the hospitals from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

jackboy wrote: »
    The only way is vaccine passports where those not vaccinated are denied access to a variety of events and establishments.

This is it ,it's kinda obvious since the beginning that restrictions on non -vaccinated will drive uptake

Not sure on the other part of polesheeps post

I had no idea what he was saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

They'll probably just mix it in with whatever they're using for chem trails

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

A vaccination passport has already been ruled out by the UK authorities.
    From here.
    The UK government will “help facilitate” vaccine passports with other countries as part of plans for Europe to return to normality, the Foreign Office minister has said.

The Times reported this morning that British officials have started working on an official certification system after Greece said it would waive quarantine rules for tourists able to prove they have received a Covid vaccine.

From here.

Guaranteed there will be restrictions for those not up to date on jabs

Especially in light of the variants and boosters needed

It's a no brainer if they're planning quarantine which is a much bigger operation than checking covid passports

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

From here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/55970801
    Doesn't contradict what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The only way is vaccine passports where those not vaccinated are denied access to a variety of events and establishments.

Far better to have microchips. Can be used for a whole range of different purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Hmob wrote: »

It's a no brainer if they're planning quarantine which is a much bigger operation than checking covid passports

I've no idea how it will be done but you already have requirements for certain inoculations before traveling to certain countries (e.g, yellow fever) and certain occupations in healthcare require up to date vaccinations like BCG, so perhaps while not compulsory it will be required for certain activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

polesheep wrote: »
    That won't happen.

I’m sure people would have said the same about many things that did actually happen since Covid started.

Far better to have microchips. Can be used for a whole range of different purposes.

Ok, I know mandatory vaccines seem like a mad idea but unless the virus disappears somehow there will need to be hard decisions made. If we don’t do mandatory vaccines and the virus keeps mutating then what is plan B?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Ok, I know mandatory vaccines seem like a mad idea but unless the virus disappears somehow there will need to be hard decisions made. If we don’t do mandatory vaccines and the virus keeps mutating then what is plan B?

The reality is we don’t need microchips. The Chinese use facial recognition.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Hmob wrote: »

Those Covid passports will need constant updating. And what if you want to travel but you're waiting for your booster for the latest variant?

It would be a logistical impossibility to attempt to restrict sections of the population in that scenario.

polesheep wrote: »
    Those Covid passports will need constant updating. And what if you want to travel but you're waiting for your booster for the latest variant?

It would be a logistical impossibility to attempt to restrict sections of the population in that scenario.

The UK is introducing quarantine shortly

There's no way they'll have quarantine while unvaccinated wander through airports

Off the top of my head are they not talking about it because it's too soon and they will be on the back foot by flagging it up

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m sure people would have said the same about many things that did actually happen since Covid started.

This. I’ve stopped thinking that things aren’t possible any more. I thought that about strict lockdowns, and 2km limits, and mandatory quarantine in hotels. And have been wrong every time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

And I suppose those who, for medical reasons, cannot take the vaccine will be denied access to events and establishments?

This. I’ve stopped thinking that things aren’t possible any more. I thought that about strict lockdowns, and 2km limits, and mandatory quarantine in hotels. And have been wrong every time

Even beyond that, there are so many who think the virus is just going to go away. It’s like they believe it would be unfair of the virus to persist. I suppose change is difficult and some still can’t believe that the pre covid world is over for good. I’m not sure how people are going to cope when the heavy financial bill will have to be paid.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    And I suppose those who, for medical reasons, cannot take the vaccine will be denied access to events and establishments?

That’s a strawman. Of course those who can’t will get some kind of certificate to that effect. Those that won’t, however, should have to live with any repercussions of that

Even beyond that, there are so many who think the virus is just going to go away. It’s like they believe it would be unfair of the virus to persist. I suppose change is difficult and some still can’t believe that the pre covid world is over for good. I’m not sure how people are going to cope when the heavy financial bill will have to be paid.

I always used to be one of those people. I thought that we would snap back to normality in 2022 pretty quick when this is done. But am definitely recalibrating my expectations

Pre Covid world is over for good? So you believe life will never get back to the way it was . Any evidence that makes you believe that. Bearing in mind we as a species have experienced more devastating pandemics in the past yet life returned to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pre covid world is over for good.... so tell us what's gone for good that isn't coming back at some point ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Fcuk me! A year, what a disaster. Had no idea any countries had kept schools closed completely for so long
    https://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1358530612169179146

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I demand to go to a live gig again, to feel the bass vibrate on my chest, the drums to deafen me, blinded by lasers and lights, hot n' sweaty and the exhilarated crowd lapping it up. Bring that back pleeease!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

We will never get back to the way it was. That world is over.

You really need to cop on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I demand to go to a live gig again, to feel the bass vibrate on my chest, the drums to deafen me, blinded by lasers and lights, hot n' sweaty and the exhilarated crowd lapping it up. Bring that back pleeease!

Demands tend to fall flat when suffixed with a 'pleeease', as it shows weakness.

Pre covid world is over for good.... so tell us what's gone for good that isn't coming back at some point ?

The financial implications of this alone are going to be life changing for a large portion of the population. Do not believe those who say ‘ah sure we will print more money and we will be grand’.

Workplaces are changed forever, which will actually change the structure of cities forever.

Lots of retail are finished for good. Big corporations which have become efficient at deliveries will take over.

There are endless changes that will make up the new normal.

Pre Covid world is over for good? So you believe life will never get back to the way it was . Any evidence that makes you believe that. Bearing in mind we as a species have experienced more devastating pandemics in the past yet life returned to normal.

I am going to launch into a bit of an existential narrative here, but this is what I think:

We will never go back to 2019 behaviours and way of living. Not because of the virus itself, and our defending against it. But because you don't subject society to such a seismic interruption and not expect it to evolve.

Assuming that it is spring 2024 in which we are in a position to be completely back to normal (that is my expectation now because of the pace of vaccine rollout across much of the world, and the variants that our governments will continue to try to mitigate against). We will have had 4 years of interruption (of a greater or a lesser degree) to our way of life.
    • That is an entire college cohort who have never known Harcourt Street at 3am on a Sunday morning. It is a cohort of teenagers who have become of age and had to adapt to very different ways of interacting.
    • We will see the airline sector decimated, and flights become much more expensive in the new operating model (probably back to early 1990's type scenario). Tourist cities will have reclaimed their airbnbs etc for local housing, and remodelled themselves. So the weekend city breaks, the stags in Dublin or Tallinn, are probably over. We will be back to less frequent longer holidays. Emerging regions will take years to recover from the social issues that COVID has wrought, so we'll be back to the intrepid 1990's style backpackers exploring them again,
    • Cities will be different, as we are working remotely, from rural locations. Universities will probably stay a little online, so less crazy student drinking (and students wont have been brought into that culture anyway). Loads of pubs will be shut, probably never to re-open.
    • And our economic model will change. With more out of work, the acceleration of digital trends and a move toward UBI.

COVID will have accelerated things that might have otherwise have taken a decade or more. But to expect that our way of life does not evolve in this vacuum I think is naive.

We will get back to a normal. But I dont think that it will be a 2019 normal. It will be something different. Perhaps very different the longer this goes on

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Fcuk me! A year, what a disaster. Had no idea any countries had kept schools closed completely for so long
    https://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1358530612169179146

Yet kids were back in the classroom in June of last year according to Reuters.https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-jordan-restrictions-i-idUSKBN26537Z

The vaccines and boosters will work

Life will return to normal with maybe quarantine, vaccine passports and occasional mask mandates

My take on it and there's a bigger world out there than NPHET that will influence restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Workplaces are changed forever, which will actually change the structure of cities forever.

Don't know about that. I know many people who originally loved working from home during the first lockdown, and now they can't f**cking wait to get back into the office.

Only so much staying at home people can take.

• Advertisement

I am going to launch into a bit of an existential narrative here, but this is what I think:

We will never go back to 2019 behaviours and way of living. Not because of the virus itself, and our defending against it. But because you don't subject society to such a seismic interruption and not expect it to evolve.

Assuming that it is spring 2024 in which we are in a position to be completely back to normal (that is my expectation now because of the pace of vaccine rollout across much of the world, and the variants that our governments will continue to try to mitigate against). We will have had 4 years of interruption (of a greater or a lesser degree) to our way of life.
    • That is an entire college cohort who have never known Harcourt Street at 3am on a Sunday morning. It is a cohort of teenagers who have become of age and had to adapt to very different ways of interacting.
    • We will see the airline sector decimated, and flights become much more expensive in the new operating model (probably back to early 1990's type scenario). Tourist cities will have reclaimed their airbnbs etc for local housing, and remodelled themselves. So the weekend city breaks, the stags in Dublin or Tallinn, are probably over. We will be back to less frequent longer holidays. Emerging regions will take years to recover from the social issues that COVID has wrought, so we'll be back to the intrepid 1990's style backpackers exploring them again,

Wrong
    • Cities will be different, as we are working remotely, from rural locations. Universities will probably stay a little online, so less crazy student drinking (and students wont have been brought into that culture anyway). Loads of pubs will be shut, probably never to re-open.

Wrong
    • And our economic model will change. With more out of work, the acceleration of digital trends and a move toward UBI.

Wrong
    COVID will have accelerated things that might have otherwise have taken a decade or more. But to expect that our way of life does not evolve in this vacuum I think is naive.

Prehaps
    will get back to a normal. But I dont think that it will be a 2019 normal. It will be something different. Perhaps very different the longer this goes on
    Spanish Flu '18 to '21 life returned to normal shortly after. Ever hear the phrase the 'roaring twenties' ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement