Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

phormium wrote: »
    I have caught two head colds already this winter and I'm wfh, see practically nobodyexcept some family in December and shop maybe every 2 weeks if even so not sure even all the sanitising/masks etc has got rid of that as I have bottles of sanitiser everywhere!

might not be colds, could be allergies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Wolf359f wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to know how many ICU discharges there has been in Feb so far?
    I'm just curious to see the ratio.

Tony just focusing on deaths unfortunately. Keep the county closed indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

You wouldn't happen to know how many ICU discharges there has been in Feb so far?
    I'm just curious to see the ratio.

62 admission and 60 discharge. HUB Numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Cerveza wrote: »
    People need to loose the hard on for the daily deaths. Any number on how many were vaccinated today I wonder?
    No it’s just deaths.

Nobody has a hard on for daily deaths.
    They are mentioned solely to see in the context of reducing ICU figures, if they are unfortunately down to deaths or discharges.

spookwoman wrote: »
    62 admission and 60 discharge.

I kinda knew you had the figures!
    60 discharges and 39 deaths so roughly ~39% of ICU patients unfortunately pass away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

might not be colds, could be allergies.

They were bog standard head colds, had enough of them in my time to know at this stage :) I'd usually get at least one over the winter, prone to very bad sore throats with them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

phormium wrote: »
    They were bog standard head colds, had enough of them in my time to know at this stage :) I'd usually get at least one over the winter, prone to very bad sore throats with them too.

I had a few colds start off , i think I got them from the nipper. The colds died quickly and I may be giving it too much credit but I think it is because I am loaded up with vitD. Both me and the other half have sailed through any colds that have started, same with coughs and sore throats . Best winter ever for my lungs that I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

People need to loose the hard on for the daily deaths. Any number on how many were vaccinated today I wonder?
    No it’s just deaths.

Daily vaccination reports start tomorrow I think? We had vaccinated ~220k as of Thursday, plan on doing 29k the coming week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Nobody has a hard on for daily deaths.
    They are mentioned solely to see in the context of reducing ICU figures, if they are unfortunately down to deaths or discharges.

Context of reducing icu numbers really?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well, yes. ICU numbers in particular as well as hospital cases are major factors in our lockdown level. As they drop due to lockdown and fall further due to vaccinations we should see restrictions lowered.

• Advertisement

In the context of showing why ICU numbers are reducing, if they didn't mention deaths in ICU, people would assume all reductions are due to people recovering.
    So it's adding a layer of transparency and not sugar coating numbers.

You mentioned how many vaccinated. I update the report that I post every day with the vaccine numbers. Not my fault they only update it very few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In the context of showing why ICU numbers are reducing, if they didn't mention deaths in ICU, people would assume all reductions are due to people recovering.
    So it's adding a layer of transparency and not sugar coating numbers.

No mention of age though.
    We learned of a 72 year old lady who lost her life due to the actions of a 62 year male in the news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

on the global front, the dramatic decline in global cases continues unabated. certainly some vaccine impact there in addition to various winter lockdowns.

again - this is the first actual decline in cases since the start of the pandemic, excluding the christmas holiday testing dip.

542496.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Have you not read the rules, no positive information allowed!!!

. Tonight when a poster questioned the daily death figures versus vaccination figures, you suggested they had a guilty conscience.

He didn't question the daily death figures vs vaccinations figures. He didn't ask question about deaths, just made a statement. As for the number of vaccines. I post that in the reports daily, not my my fault if the numbers are updated every few days and and definitely not my fault if they don't read them.

His post
    No it’s just deaths.

If you are going to try and start an argument at least get your facts right.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭jams100

Is there anything to be said about quality of life?

I think we need to have a discussion at a national level about this, even if its after covid has passed.

Having been in a hospital last week and seeing some people who were in an awful condition (not covid), it's a position I'd never want to be in. Now, I'm certainly not pushing how I would feel onto anyone else, but, I wouldn't want to live to a point where their is zero quality of life.

I'm sure we all know a person who has just lived out their last years as pretty much a vegetable, sometimes you wonder who exactly that benefits when the person themselves are miserable? Again, it goes without saying not everyone would be miserable.

Anyway, bringing this back to covid, as a young person my quality of life along with my friends has been awful especially in this third lockdown, and yes I know it is for everyone etc. And people have died, yes, I'm well aware of that, thanks.

I feel even more sorry for the people in nursing homes, I can only imagine how they must feel, some probably being very close to the end of life, more or less being imprisoned and not being able to see their families.

I know covid is nobody's fault and everyone's doing their best I just wonder why nobody has been talking about a quality of life, for example golf seems to me to be as safe as going for a walk with a friend in the park, both being very low risk activities.

Anyway hopefully for the sake of everyone's mental health this comes to an end soon, not good news about the astrazenica vaccine and South African varient :(

No mention of age though.
    We learned of a 72 year old lady who lost her life due to the actions of a 62 year male in the news today.

I don't subscribe to the idea that their age matters. You can go look and see the age range in ICU if you're so inclined. The deaths are just the end point, regardless of age, our ICU's are being swamped with covid cases, our hospitals were to (to a point). These are very sick people (yes some contracted covid in hospital and yes some went to A&E for something else and ended up testing positive etc..). But the fact is. Covid has a massive impact on our health service, which we all rely on. nitpicking over age of death is a moot point.

I'm not sure why you're mentioning anything about a 62 year old charged with the murder of a 72 year old woman? He had to be charged, and within the law he had to be brought before the courts and our courts are public and they have reporters.... so his name, age, address etc... will be made public. I'm not one for secret courts and I'm not one for making public anyone diagnosed with an infectious disease. STD clinics would be empty!

I don't subscribe to the idea that their age matters. You can go look and see the age range in ICU if you're so inclined. The deaths are just the end point, regardless of age, our ICU's are being swamped with covid cases, our hospitals were to (to a point). These are very sick people (yes some contracted covid in hospital and yes some went to A&E for something else and ended up testing positive etc..). But the fact is. Covid has a massive impact on our health service, which we all rely on. nitpicking over age of death is a moot point.

I'm not sure why you're mentioning anything about a 62 year old charged with the murder of a 72 year old woman? He had to be charged, and within the law he had to be brought before the courts and our courts are public and they have reporters.... so his name, age, address etc... will be made public. I'm not one for secret courts and I'm not one for making public anyone diagnosed with an infectious disease. STD clinics would be empty!
    If age was unimportant my comment would be unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not starting an argument just making an observation on your posts. Some of which are very personal and abusive. Btw the one where you told another poster to f**k off I sent a report to the Mods. Interesting how the offending comment was edited so quickly. Anyway you have a good night .

Just making an observation here ..its very annoying and inclined to cause an argument when someone rows in the middle of a heated discussion for no good reason it appears than to pour oil on the fire ,so to speak , isn't it ?
    Just observing that is what you tend to do a lot , and then accuse the other person of getting personal and abusive , when you are in fact winding them up !
    Bit like this post really , except shoe is on the otherfoot .

Maybe you should commend the fact that spookwoman comes on here and states the numbers every day , for others benefit , whereas all you do is wind people up , every day .

• Advertisement

If age was unimportant my comment would be unnecessary.

Age seems to be important to you. Just because it's necessary to you, doesn't mean it's necessary to others. Many feel sad with any large loss of life regardless of age. What those poor people went through and their families, I NEVER want to ever experience. When a nurse is the closest thing to family you have holding your hand while you pass away and your family is at home.... that devastating... and the nurses, or who ever is with them at the time, that has to be extremely hard on them.

Age seems to be important to you. Just because it's necessary to you, doesn't mean it's necessary to others. Many feel sad with any large loss of life regardless of age. What those poor people went through and their families, I NEVER want to ever experience. When a nurse is the closest thing to family you have holding your hand while you pass away and your family is at home.... that devastating... and the nurses, or who ever is with them at the time, that has to be extremely hard on them.

Actually age is important, if you're going to lockdown the majority of a population it's important to know the reasons . If I crash my car tomorrow resulting in my death it will be reported on the news if it's worthy that a 49 year old male died in a single vehicle car crash. Whereas if I die due to contracting Covid my age is hidden/irrelevant

Actually age is important, if you're going to lockdown the majority of a population it's important to know the reasons . If I crash my car tomorrow resulting in my death it will be reported on the news if it's worthy that a 49 year old male died in a single vehicle car crash. Whereas if I die due to contracting Covid my age is hidden/irrelevant

Age of deaths is not important, if Covid was fatal to only over 120 years old, we would still have overwhelmed ICU's and hospitals. We're nearly a year into this and people still don't understand deaths are not the only factor. The majority of hospital admissions and ICU admissions are under 70. If over 70 were magically protected ,from say vaccinations.... we would still have jam packed hospitals and ICU's preventing so many elective surgery's.

With regard to road fatalities, I'm not sure who releases that information, you obviously do, is it the guards or the HSE?
    If you die from covid your age is not hidden or irrelevant, it's reported in various reports updated daily and weekly.

froog wrote: »
    on the global front, the dramatic decline in global cases continues unabated. certainly some vaccine impact there in addition to various winter lockdowns.

again - this is the first actual decline in cases since the start of the pandemic, excluding the christmas holiday testing dip.

542496.JPG

I'd love to know the reason why the sudden decline. We've had worldwide lockdown's and it's slowed the growth, never reduced it and by the amount. We've only vaccinated the same number of people who have tested positive, so it's not like vaccinations have outnumbered that much.
    Hopefully they have smarted people than us here to figure it out!

I'd love to know the reason why the sudden decline. We've had worldwide lockdown's and it's slowed the growth, never reduced it and by the amount. We've only vaccinated the same number of people who have tested positive, so it's not like vaccinations have outnumbered that much.

Could it be on the way out? I've heard the term "burn itself out" used in relation to pandemics but don't get how it can do this when there are plenty to infect.

Age of deaths is not important, if Covid was fatal to only over 120 years old, we would still have overwhelmed ICU's and hospitals. We're nearly a year into this and people still don't understand deaths are not the only factor. The majority of hospital admissions and ICU admissions are under 70. If over 70 were magically protected ,from say vaccinations.... we would still have jam packed hospitals and ICU's preventing so many elective surgery's.

With regard to road fatalities, I'm not sure who releases that information, you obviously do, is it the guards or the HSE?
    If you die from covid your age is not hidden or irrelevant, it's reported in various reports updated daily and weekly.
    I suspect you know what I have outlined but are wilfully dismissing it, so be it. Pass on my goodnight wishes to your fans.

Combination of so many countries putting in local restrictions and restricted travel between countries has helped a great deal. Plus uk and USA 2 of the biggest contributes are now on the decline. As they say every little helps.

I suspect you know what I have outlined but are wilfully dismissing it, so be it. Pass on my goodnight wishes to your fans.

I don't understand what you're getting at, I really don't.
    At worst you think it's just an old age illness and the 'young' should be free to live their life.... despite the majority of hospital and ICU admission being in the 'young'.
    Hospitals treat more than just Covid. The majority of people who die with covid don't go to hospital, so ignoring deaths (for some weird reason) won't make much of an impact on the dire hospital situation.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Combination of so many countries putting in local restrictions and restricted travel between countries has helped a great deal. Plus uk and USA 2 of the biggest contributes are not on the decline. As they say every little helps.

Worldwide cases have halved in a month, that's a massive drop.
    Maybe it's the majority of countries going with a lockdown and also vaccinations all at the same time. I don't care. it's all good news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

We've had worldwide lockdown's and it's slowed the growth, never reduced it and by the amount.
    What is the difference between slowing the growth and reducing daily deaths? Would one not imply the other?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement