Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

The day these covid threads are archived away like the wintry weather from 2010, will be a great day.

I wonder will they be referenced by students doing theses in 2100..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

gctest50 wrote: »
    Cats.

Tiddles is plotting yer downfall

"Those cats that were infected in the experiment?” Bosco-Lauth says to the New York Times. “You would never have known.” "

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-study-finds-dogs-dont-spread-covid-19-cats-can-pass-it-each-other-180975963/

I read yesterday , can’t think of the publication but ‘top scientists’ are calling for pets to be vaccinated against Covid too. I don’t think Jaws my Goldfish will need to be though. I never bring him for a walk or cuddle him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Is MM going to address the nation today or is it just an announcement that restrictions continue as is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

PT?:confused:

Paper Towels! They sold out too in the first lockdown once all the bog roll sold out!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Out of interest, how do you know there will be a large amount of deaths today? There were just 7 yesterday. 7 too many but not near as bad as the 77 one day last week.

Deaths are deaths reported. Afaik they are reported within 24 hours of midday. My best guess is that some hospitals don't have someone in able to report deaths on a Sunday.

Every Tuesday is a high number.

For the record last Monday was 8 and last Tuesday was much higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Out of interest, how do you know there will be a large amount of deaths today? There were just 7 yesterday. 7 too many but not near as bad as the 77 one day last week.

Near us - its gone into multiple care homes - (APPARENTLY) due to non staff or residents coming in to get vaccinations that they should not have been in for.

If this is accurate it is reasonable to expect continued high deaths for the very near future at least.

Will be a sad day to see the same mistakes twice in 1 pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Arduach wrote: »
    The day these covid threads are archived away like the wintry weather from 2010, will be a great day.

Yep they will and particularly in the context of popular culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Arduach wrote: »

Human civilisation will have vanished and the apes will rule the world by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably because there were just 7 yesterday. The deaths announced today will be those notified up to midnight yesterday. Actual deaths over the weekend may not be notified until Monday because offices are closed.

There were 8 deaths last Monday and 93 the next day.

This is why 7-day figures and averages and such are so important. They smooth out any spikes due to doctors or coroners or data analysts not being in the office.

I read yesterday , can’t think of the publication but ‘top scientists’ are calling for pets to be vaccinated against Covid too. I don’t think Jaws my Goldfish will need to be though. I never bring him for a walk or cuddle him

Well so far Felines, mink, bats etc. have all got it and some have created mutations that are worrying enough we just destroyed almost all the mink in the EU.

They may be onto something - but its more a talking point than anything real until we all get the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Any idea on the metrics for these new measures kicking in? We must be behind profile to necessitate these extraordinary additional controls? I thought things were going reasonably well but wondering where NPHET believed they should be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I, for one, welcome our new ape overlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Deaths are deaths reported. Afaik they are reported within 24 hours of midday. My best guess is that some hospitals don't have someone in able to report deaths on a Sunday.

Every Tuesday is a high number.

Ah ok. That makes sense.

Near us - its gone into multiple care homes - (APPARENTLY) due to non staff or residents coming in to get vaccinations that they should not have been in for.

If this is accurate it is reasonable to expect continued high deaths for the very near future at least.

Will be a sad day to see the same mistakes twice in 1 pandemic

That's terrible to hear. And yes, the nursing homes have been left unprotected in so many ways. The poor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

https://twitter.com/Trickstersworld/status/1354062104433668096?s=20

EsqYTcaW8AE7w15?format=jpg&name=large

Anthony O'Connor, gastroenterologist, has been run off Twitter with threats apparently by a Stephen Donnelly lackey.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Russman wrote: »
    Is MM going to address the nation today or is it just an announcement that restrictions continue as is ?
    No need to, nothing has changed as it requires legislation. Little will change anyway unless you're likely to be travelling into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any idea on the metrics for these new measures kicking in? We must be behind profile to necessitate these extraordinary additional controls? I thought things were going reasonably well but wondering where NPHET believed they should be...
    NPHET have been calling for tighter controls on inbound travel since last April.

There's a large element of being seen to be doing something with these new measures. The hope that people might be willing to swalllow another four weeks of level 5 if the Government promise to do something about travel.

By the time a mandatory quarantine is actually stood up and operating, we'll be back down to 300 cases.

JP100 wrote: »
    Yep they will and particularly in the context of popular culture.

They'll be laughing at our way of speaking.

I was doing a bit of archival work on a gaelic football match between Wicklow and Kilkenny in 1898 a few years back. The score at full time was 1 point each, which says it all. Well the journalist described the match thus 'what a marvellous game where both combatants performed showing exceedingly stiff character. One does not expect to see such an exciting spectacle for many years':D And he wasn't being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

seamus wrote: »
    Probably because there were just 7 yesterday. The deaths announced today will be those notified up to midnight yesterday. Actual deaths over the weekend may not be notified until Monday because offices are closed.

There were 8 deaths last Monday and 93 the next day.

This is why 7-day figures and averages and such are so important. They smooth out any spikes due to doctors or coroners or data analysts not being in the office.

Gotcha. This evening could be bad so. Hopefully not and that average comes down somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I for one welcome our damn dirty ape overlords.
    I would say Danny Healy Rae will fit in well....

Plus ça change:)

• Advertisement

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Trickstersworld/status/1354062104433668096?s=20

EsqYTcaW8AE7w15?format=jpg&name=large

Anthony O'Connor, gastroenterologist, has been run off Twitter with threats apparently by a Stephen Donnelly lackey.

Who's this poor chap - never heard of him.

What does it have to do with Covid? Assuming i have missed something important if it warranted a post?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gotcha. This evening could be bad so. Hopefully not and that average comes down somewhat.

60 or 70 would be a horrific number but would be an improving average. Some might even cheer the falling average.

There's 216 in icu with covid. That's 216 very unhealthy people. There's going to be deaths unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Fixed your post :pac:

I've not been a PT for over 5 years and that stung a little :pac:

seamus wrote: »
    NPHET have been calling for tighter controls on inbound travel since last April.

There's a large element of being seen to be doing something with these new measures. The hope that people might be willing to swalllow another four weeks of level 5 if the Government promise to do something about travel.

By the time a mandatory quarantine is actually stood up and operating, we'll be back down to 300 cases.
    It is really a case of it being the only risk left standing they can hit but this reaction is far more down to the variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

So travel dealt with to a point, fast running out of scapegoats, I suppose back to blaming young people soon so.

In no particular order, likely next targets for the mob;

Joggers
    Cyclists
    Sea swimmers
    Coffee shops
    The border
    Bananas from South America

What does it have to do with Covid? Assuming i have missed something important if it warranted a post?
    He's a medical person who's been offering opinions on this. Some people like what he has to say, some don't and some just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PVdAGXY1uAsJ:https://twitter.com/antcon7062%3Flang%3Den+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Have a look at the cache of his Twitter page and decide for yourself if it's to do with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

img

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

eigrod wrote: »
    Would be a nice boost if swab numbers were < 1k today.

Ask and you shall receive

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1354098529443180554

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tpcl20 wrote: »

We probably won't find out, but it would interested to hear who said it and how. Could very much be either a threat or else someone trying to be sound. Just because they know Donnelly hardly means it was Donnelly instigated either.

Anthony's been great and I agree with him on practically everything, but he has (understandably) had a few meltdowns on Twitter lately that he's subsequently apologised for. Was fairly castigating individual Twitter users last night who sent their kids to private schools for example. He's in a very stressful role and they're getting hammered at the moment, it's no surprise he's stressed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement