Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have always had a list of questions that never seem to get asked at the nphet briefing. Are questions even allowed at it , or is it a one way briefing?

Just guessing , I'd say the spread is still happening because too many people are still working at things that either aren't essential or could be done from home, and also many families and close friends are still meeting up for social events, cuppas etc.

I know 8 people who have caught it- 7 of those 8 picked it up in a healthcare setting.
    I presume this is still happening regardless of lockdown.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

quartz1 wrote: »
    I presume GPs charging Patients for covid referrala are effective charging on the double . Pretty poor form in fairness .
    How would they be? Thought it was just €30 per referral?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Cases in Dublin not dropping as quickly as I would like - it was like this last time too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I presume GPs charging Patients for covid referrala are effective charging on the double . Pretty poor form in fairness .

I haven't come across a GP charging for a referral yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

vienne86 wrote: »
    Cases in Dublin not dropping as quickly as I would like - it was like this last time too :(

Almost 30% of the population in about 8% of the space. What are you expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Someone should ask have we been in touch with the Russians to get some of their Sputnik vaccine. Hungary will get 2 million doses from them over the next 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Someone should ask have we been in touch with the Russians to get some of their Sputnik vaccine. Hungary will get 2 million doses from them over the next 3 months.
    They have applied to the EMA. We'll wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Aren't the EU looking into this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Every time I hear about the Russian vaccine the Manchurian Candidate pops into my head :o

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Drexel_3 wrote: »

Yes but you can jump the q and go direct, that's what Hungary did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    How would they be? Thought it was just €30 per referral?

Guess if they took payment from patient and claim the €30 back from state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Drexel_3 wrote: »

Yep, like the local council workers and potholes.

Once you're desperate enough to be looking into medicine from there, you're just one hop away from taking a Chinese vaccine.

Whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

The_Brood wrote: »
    It is absolutely astonishing to me that there is no discussion, not even the slightest interest to determine how exactly for months on end now there are few days without at least 1,000 transmissions per day - given that we are in a level 5 lockdown and even the schools are closed.

We're in endless devastating lockdown and there is virtually no interest from anyone about where the infections are coming from and how do we stop them. The news strictly reports the daily numbers and that's that.

I think one reason for the continuing high numbers of reported cases is that the true number of cases in January was much higher than the positive test numbers reported, because testing was overwhelmed again, just like at the beginning last year.

Now that testing of asymptomatic contacts has restarted, and positivity rates are still falling, the reported numbers are closer to the actual number of cases in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The_Brood wrote: »
    It is absolutely astonishing to me that there is no discussion, not even the slightest interest to determine how exactly for months on end now there are few days without at least 1,000 transmissions per day - given that we are in a level 5 lockdown and even the schools are closed.

We're in endless devastating lockdown and there is virtually no interest from anyone about where the infections are coming from and how do we stop them. The news strictly reports the daily numbers and that's that.

I’ve been beating this drum for months.

Most of the economy is closed so to determine where the cases are transmitted is likely easier than it will ever be.

NPHET said previously tracking where transmission would be only academic as per Philip Nolan’s tweet last September.
    We would like to go back and find out where people are getting the virus, but we don’t have the time or resources to pursue this academic exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Eod100 wrote: »

Wasn't it 152200 first doses some days ago? Have we managed to suck the vaccine out of people? :pac:

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1357327605997969412

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The hse operations report of the 6 included

08-02-2021-p1.jpg
    08-02-2021-p2.jpg
    08-02-2021-p3.jpg
    08-02-2021-p4.jpg
    08-02-2021-p5.jpg
    08-02-2021-p6.jpg
    08-02-2021-p7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Yep. I know someone who was quoted a 40 euro consultation fee for a test before referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Wasn't it 152200 first doses some days ago? Have we managed to suck the vaccine out of people? :pac:

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1357327605997969412

People move from the dose 1 stats to dose 2 stats. Hence less people now with dose 1 only as the priority last week was dose 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Turned on today fm at 7 on the amazon echo, it played tay fm from Scotland by accident, the news came on, the lead with some story about nicola sturgeon, then some other rubbish and finally in other news, 5 deaths today but over 1 million nearly vaccinated. That was it, one line at the end. Is this normal in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

People move from the dose 1 stats to dose 2 stats. Hence less people now with dose 1 only as the priority last week was dose 2.

Dept of Health are saying the hub numbers are provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Are you sure about that? From the dashboard they're called "Total 1st Dose Vaccines Administered" and "Total 2nd Dose Vaccines Administered", so I read this as referring to individual doses, not person vaccinated.

Anyway it was a joke, the difference is pretty small, I'm sure that even if they're doses it can account to a miscommunication and will be fixed eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Are you sure about that? From the dashboard they're called "Total 1st Dose Vaccines Administered" and "Total 2nd Dose Vaccines Administered", so I read this as referring to individual doses, not person vaccinated.

Anyway it was a joke, the difference is pretty small, I'm sure that even if they're doses it can account to a miscommunication and will be fixed eventually.

I'd tend to agree with you there Muddy...I think these numbers represent individual dose 1 and individual dose 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No need for hysteria. I'll give it another year realistically taking the usual Winter Spike into account.

Depends on whether vaccines need to be annual (boosters for manic variants) No one knows though, since it is early days yet, but let us be hopeful.

Gotta get out for your 5k walk and ten thousand steps EVERY day to stay healthy, says no one. Be lazy, be indolent, don't give a sht. We will be told about our release date anyway. If ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Maybe, that was my interpretation of it anyway. Wouldn't make sense to me to leave someone in dose 1 stats stats they're fully vaccinated.

Anyway like you say its only a minor point

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

niallo27 wrote: »
    Turned on today fm at 7 on the amazon echo, it played tay fm from Scotland by accident, the news came on, the lead with some story about nicola sturgeon, then some other rubbish and finally in other news, 5 deaths today but over 1 million nearly vaccinated. That was it, one line at the end. Is this normal in the UK.

Probably, as they don't have RTE over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There is something I don’t understand about the number of deaths in the daily report. 6 deaths have been reported but there are 5 declassifications.
    The number of deaths reported each day is not the number occurring that day but the number of deaths previously unreported no matter when they happened, in other words, the net increase in the overall number.
    The net increase today is, in fact, 1 and not 6 as reported in the media.
    (Worldometers are showing 1 death for today for Ireland which is correct for our method of reporting).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I'd question that on an individual level - the number of individual reinfections don't seem to indicate a high number of reinfections..

I believe the Brazil/SA data show that held immunity through natural infection does not happen (or at least it doesn't happen without significant loss of life)
    Yes while there have been cases of reinfection, these have been very few in number.

I would be a little cautious about numbers from regions in Brazil, for example Manaus, where a left-wing local government, not wishing to bolster Bolsonaro, will downplay possible herd-immunity occurring there.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Any plans for a new roadmap to reopen society?

Really need target dates for things to look forward too like the gym reopening and getting fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Szero wrote: »
    Any plans for a new roadmap to reopen society?

Really need target dates for things to look forward too like the gym reopening and getting fit again.

I wouldn't say so, Tony is running the show now so no reopening until May probably at earliest. Only hope is if the money runs out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Unfortunately its going to be very difficult to provide that until the vulnerable (and then some) are vaccinated. We just know, given what happened at Christmas, that everyone will go nuts and we'll end up with another hospital-risking surge and massive numbers again.

I'd say they are thinking about it in the background, but I guess it'll be slow and very much step-by-step.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement