Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

The_Brood wrote: »
    what....do they mean "and their Chinese colleagues" ?

is this a joke?

If the virus originated as believed in a Chinese wildlife market, an illegal one which the Chinese for years had been called to shut down but refused - China has to be made to pay for the entire global pandemic. For every last dime. I sincerely don't believe that the "Chinese colleagues" would allow for that.

So what are we gonna hear? "It's all too complex to explain, no one is to blame, move along, and wash your hands!"

I thought we were past this kind of thing. By the same token should the UK and SA have to compensate everybody for the strains that originated in those countries? Arguably they hold more responsibility than China because it was a year into the pandemic with far greater knowledge, but they still allowed their countries to be petri dishes in which the virus could mutate and did nothing to stop their strains being exported to other countries.

Viruses occur naturally, they have for millions of years, they could crop up anywhere. China were blindsided and while their initial response could have been better, their failure to contain the virus when it came out of nowhere and they had no prior knowledge of it is hardly surprising, given practically no other country in the world managed to contain it even with that advance knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Be right back

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If we get snow does anyone here know how many snowmen you can have in the garden during current restrictions please

Not forgetting 2 metres apart as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmob wrote: »
    How is that possible after 230,000 vaccinations
    There may be issues there as hospitals were left to arrange their own vaccination programmes just as there may be explanations but it is also the INMO representing their members. It depends on what "many" means. Areas of highest infection as she says doesn't sound like a very sound plan. Interesting to note how much expertise there is in the INMO on running vaccination programmes. Either way it's something to be outraged about this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

It looks like Germany is getting close to making a side deal for the Russian vaccine

https://m.dw.com/en/idt-biologika-moves-into-spotlight-as-germany-eyes-sputnik-v-vaccine/a-56464708

Meanwhile the Irish GOV say they have no interests in doing any deals outside the EU allocated vaccines. Why do most people accept this? It seems in Ireland most people just buy the GOV excuse that this is out of their hands.

There is murder in Germany over the slow rollout. Countries like Austria and Hungry are also doing side deals with vaccine manufacturers.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    It looks like Germany is getting close to making a side deal for the Russian vaccine

https://m.dw.com/en/idt-biologika-moves-into-spotlight-as-germany-eyes-sputnik-v-vaccine/a-56464708

Meanwhile the Irish GOV say they have no interests in doing any deals outside the EU allocated vaccines. Why do most people accept this? It seems in Ireland most people just buy the GOV excuse that this is out of their hands.

There is murder in Germany over the slow rollout. Countries like Austria and Hungry are also doing side deals with vaccine manufacturers.
    There is always murder in Germany over this. It's the price they pay for having regional and national governments. A lot of it is over the frustration of normal life being so far away. Even if we did opt for Sputnik V ahead of time it wouldn't shorten the whole process by an awful lot. In the meantime we have the tools to deal with the level of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I’ve been beating this drum for months.

Most of the economy is closed so to determine where the cases are transmitted is likely easier than it will ever be.

NPHET said previously tracking where transmission would be only academic as per Philip Nolan’s tweet last September.

Most likely poor practices in hospitals, nursing homes and other care and healthcare settings. However, NPHET and the government have done an excellent job at diverting any attention away from this by focusing on the likes of International travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

We don't need to order more vaccines, we need what is already ordered now. The logistics of approval, manufacture, supply and delivery into arms for another vaccine where all the legwork has to be done by the HSE/DOH would mean if we went solo on the Sputnik vaccine it might get delivered by 2022 and by that stage I'd guess there will be vending machines on every corner that you can stick your arm into for a jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Hospitalisations are dropping rapidly. I think by March 5th there will be even less than 800. There will be pressure to ease restrictions

Also what did Glynn mean by saying we are over the worst of the virus?

Seems like a huge statement to make. And outrageously incompetent if not true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Woman twice broke visitor ban at Cork Covid ward and took selfies with infectious patient

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40222808.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hospitalisations are dropping rapidly. I think by March 5th there will be even less than 800. There will be pressure to ease restrictions

I hope you are right, and I really hope we can get the schools opened again around that time.

• Advertisement

There is an intention, according to Leo anyway, to go down to a form of Level 4 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is always murder in Germany over this. It's the price they pay for having regional and national governments. A lot of it is over the frustration of normal life being so far away. Even if we did opt for Sputnik V ahead of time it wouldn't shorten the whole process by an awful lot. In the meantime we have the tools to deal with the level of cases.

We are dealing with them. They are coming down steadily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

because we like to be seen as the top boy in the class, do what we are told and dont upset of EU overlords..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

There is an intention, according to Leo anyway, to go down to a form of Level 4 then.

Lets not forget before the madness of xmas cases still come down when at level 3. I think level 4 is just going to be lazy. Construction and hopefully schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There is literally nothing in that article about a side deal.

Lets not forget before the madness of xmas cases still come down when at level 3. I think level 4 is just going to be lazy. Construction and hopefully schools.
    Those two are a given IMO. Level 4 is just being very cautious. Who knows what things will look like in 5-6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Those two are a given IMO. Level 4 is just being very cautious. Who knows what things will look like in 5-6 weeks?

Level 4 means nothing. Schools and construction basically.

Non-Essential retail and at the very least outdoor dining should be allowed on March 5th if we continue on this trajectory.

Also level 4 still prohibits meeting anyone. One household should be allowed visit one other so we can visit our parents and children's homes from March 5th.
    This country needs just that much at the very least. It's been a dire few months and the mental health of the nation is completely shot.

We stuck hard to the restrictions all the dark months of 2021 to get cases down and need some relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Also level 4 still prohibits meeting anyone. One household should be allowed visit one other so we can visit our parents and children's homes from March 5th.
    This country needs just that much at the very least. It's been a dire few months and the mental health of the nation is completely shot.

That's the bit that's absolutely killing me, and when chatting to family, friends or whoever, they all say the same, just being able to meet with ONE friend or family member would be an enormous boost.

Loneliness and isolation is crippling. I'm struggling enormously even though I go into work each day, so I can't imagine how much people WFH or out of work are managing. The person I want to see the most is absolutely cracking up because they're stuck at home seeing nobody all day every day.

Level 4 means nothing. Schools and construction basically.

Non-Essential retail and at the very least outdoor dining should be allowed on March 5th if we continue on this trajectory.

We stuck hard to the restrictions all the dark months of 2021 to get cases down and need some relief.

It would be nice to see more but extreme caution is the wisest approach for now. I think we may have to forego the meeting for a little longer. All eyes will be on the numbers at the end of the month. If we are at the bottom end of Nolan's predictions at 200 or so AND hospitalisations are way lower there may be more scope. I'm thinking/hoping Level 3 by April.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Yeah I think this lockdown has hit everyone the hardest out of any of them. I'm starting to worry a little bit about my sister and some of my friends, I've genuinely never seen them this low.

A lot of people I know are very depressed seeing Snapchats of friends in Australia partying and having the time of their lives, while literally everyone over here is stuck inside and able to see no one.

I really hope perhaps from next month that things start looking up and we can put behind us what have been some of the darkest months for many people in this country.

• Advertisement

From WHO briefing in Wuhan.

- Lab leak hypothesis 'extremely unlikely', WHO official says and will not require further study as part of their work in studying the origins of the virus.

- Sampling of bat caves in Wuhan and of other animal sites has so far failed to identify the presence of the virus.

- Further research is needed to determine the role played by cold chain products in Covid transmission.

- The virus that causes Covid-19 could have been circulating in other regions before it was identified in the central Chinese city of Wuhan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

46% of deaths in England and Wales linked to Covid 19 (based on one week in January).

A pretty extraordinary stat.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-09/covid-accounts-for-record-46-of-deaths-in-england-and-wales?srnd=premium-europe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Opening pubs for 3 weeks with cases averaging 200/300 per day in the middle of winter just the entire country congregates with their families indoors for dinner coupled with a large influx of people from abroad many of whom are coming from areas with large Covid outbreaks.

That won’t be let happen again. That’s why he made that statement.

There’s a very good chance hospitalisation will be below 800 by next Friday. Let alone March 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hospital numbers will be more like 500 on 5th March.

ICU numbers harder to call, but they *should* be under 100 at that stage.

Schools will have to open, but they'll probably have to go with click-and-collect retail, and meeting up outdoors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lemonzero

Why is the Astroveneca vaccine being given to so many people when there is a concern it will not be effective over the south african strain which surely will start being prevalent at some stage even if it is later in year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    That's the bit that's absolutely killing me, and when chatting to family, friends or whoever, they all say the same, just being able to meet with ONE friend or family member would be an enormous boost.

Loneliness and isolation is crippling. I'm struggling enormously even though I go into work each day, so I can't imagine how much people WFH or out of work are managing. The person I want to see the most is absolutely cracking up because they're stuck at home seeing nobody all day every day.

Leo has heavily hinted about being able to meet up with one other person outdoor in March

If a person is living alone you're allowed to visit them

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

marno21 wrote: »
    Opening pubs for 3 weeks with cases averaging 200/300 per day in the middle of winter just the entire country congregates with their families indoors for dinner coupled with a large influx of people from abroad many of whom are coming from areas with large Covid outbreaks.

That won’t be let happen again. That’s why he made that statement.

There’s a very good chance hospitalisation will be below 800 by next Friday. Let alone March 5th.

Curious what your prediction for 5th March will be Marno? Just schools and construction?

Lemonzero wrote: »
    Why is the AstraZeneca vaccine being given to so many people when there is a concern it will not be effective over the south african strain which surely will start being prevalent at some stage even if it is later in year?
    It's a very small study and the suggestion is that it still may protect against serious infection. AstraZeneca and other vaccine makers are currently looking at boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Curious what your prediction for 5th March will be Marno? Just schools and construction?

That's all that'd being hinted at alright

Bet they'll wait a month until after Easter then open retail and hairdressers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's all that'd being hinted at alright

Bet they'll wait a month until after Easter then open retail and hairdressers

Yes this is the most likely scenario IMO.

I think March 5 will be level 4 with 'additional restrictions' i.e. 5KM travel limit will remain, only schools and construction will go back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement