Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Curious what your prediction for 5th March will be Marno? Just schools and construction?

I agree - schools and construction. I thought they’d open those 2 earlier than March 5th so this shows how cautious they are being. Schools and construction remained open in October/November when we had the figures we have at the minute (hospital figures aside). Possibly an increase on the 5km rule which is rather claustrophobic.

It seems there is a concerted effort now to get the numbers down as low as possible and keep them low. Returning to Level 2 drives the R0 above 1 again so they want them down as low as possible like last summer.

The key here is that there is a decision for summer 2021. Either a reopening in Ireland with very strict border controls or case growth again. Many cases in summer 2020 were driven by international travel. We may get away with a summer 2020 style reopening and keep cases low as long as travel is controlled. Then we can reassess as the vaccine programme is rolled out. We’ll have supporting data from Israel and the UK as to how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Elessar wrote: »
    Yes this is the most likely scenario IMO.

I think March 5 will be level 4 with 'additional restrictions' i.e. 5KM travel limit will remain, only schools and construction will go back.

Funny thing is they may as well keep calling it level 5 as schools and construction were open in the level 5 in October

They'll call it 4 with additional restrictions just be seen to be changing things

Kinda like last year when they got 2 extra weeks out of moving from 2k to 5km and telling over 70s they could go outdoor to exercise even when they could all along

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

These well-respected folks say "Most probably a Chinese lab"

However these official folks say "It's bats you fool"

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0209/1195977-coronavirus-who-china/

Not overly impressed by how WHO conducted themselves but not sure who to believe at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

I think March 5 will be level 4 with 'additional restrictions' i.e. 5KM travel limit will remain, only schools and construction will go back.

Praying they get rid of 5km rule. People need some respite.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

donfers wrote: »

Not overly impressed by how WHO conducted themselves but not sure who to believe at this point.

Nor I, I don't like they're playing politics but they're the best we've got at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I think the level of lifting restrictions will depend on what the rest of Europe are doing. Ireland are not going to open up before most of Europe even if our numbers are better, not after what happened at Christmas anyway. If the rest of Europe are lifting restrictions with similar numbers to Ireland, then I think the government will follow suit, though with slightly harsher restrictions as that's the Irish way!

I don't think the public will put up with us under harsh restrictions while the rest of Europe opens up. Most of the people shouting for zero covid know what they're asking for. It would mean harsher restrictions than what we have now until probably July to get it down near zero. And then locking down again anytime again a few cases show up which will happen with Northern Ireland and lax travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah, that's the QAnon "prophet" who claimed the prominence of the Tampa Bay number 45 in the Superbowl is a portent that Trump will return! Kerrazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Leo has heavily hinted about being able to meet up with one other person outdoor in March

If a person is living alone you're allowed to visit them

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3516d-support-bubbles/

I find this bizarre. Everywhere I look I see people meeting up outside to walk together (me included). At no time have I seen or heard of anyone who isn't doing this. Surely at this stage there can be very few people who don't feel safe in the outdoors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Probably appealed to Europe and turned over.

That would be a bold move seeing as there have been similar rulings like this made against AXA in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

polesheep wrote: »
    I find this bizarre. Everywhere I look I see people meeting up outside to walk together (me included). At no time have I seen or heard of anyone who isn't doing this. Surely at this stage there can be very few people who don't feel safe in the outdoors.

Its already allowed ? What is he on about ?

no visitors are permitted in private homes/gardens (except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble)
    no social/family gatherings should take place in other settings
    people may meet with people from one other household in outdoor settings when taking exercise

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/066ce-ireland-placed-on-full-level-5-restrictions-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is an intention, according to Leo anyway, to go down to a form of Level 4 then.

So they haven't learned anything from opening up too early before Christmas. The lack of intelligence is startling.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

no visitors are permitted in private homes/gardens (except for essential family reasons such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, or as part of a support bubble)
    people may meet with people from one other household in outdoor settings when taking exercise

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/066ce-ireland-placed-on-full-level-5-restrictions-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid-19/

No wonder I found it bizarre.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

So Stephen Donnelly is on Twitter last night giving himself a pat on the back:

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1358840276392030210?s=20

We're in week 6 of the COVID vaccination programme:
      230,766 doses / 42 days = 5494 doses per day Population of Ireland = 4.9M Number of required doses = 9.8M (2 doses per person)

Based on the current rate, it will take 4.8 years to vaccinate the entire country.

The UK vaccinated over half a million people on Saturday (6 Feb). That's more in one day than we have achieved in 6 weeks.

Utterly pathetic....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

eagle eye wrote: »
    So they haven't learned anything from opening up too early before Christmas. The lack of intelligence is startling.

you still working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Keyzer wrote: »

230,766 doses / 42 days = 5494 doses per day Population of Ireland = 4.9M Number of required doses = 9.8M (2 doses per person)

Based on the current rate, it will take 4.8 years to vaccinate the entire country.

The UK vaccinated over half a million people on Saturday (6 Feb). That's more in one day than we have achieved in 6 weeks.

Utterly pathetic....

You're aware there's a ramp up to this? As in the current rate is going to continue to rise. Moronic calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Dropping the exercise restriction to it would make a profound difference to some elderly relatives of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Utterly pathetic....

So he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Last week the bitching was that the government was not sharing enough information, this week the bitching is that they are patting themselves on the back when they do share up-to-date information..
    I find your attitude utterly pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I remember your suggestion was to open up closer to Christmas , you think that would have been better?

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Yeah it's strange

The Tánaiste said however that allowing people to meet outdoors “is something I really want to be possible in March”.

“So when we reopened after the first wave, one of the first things we did was allow people to meet up with another house outdoors, not indoors initially, but outdoors. And I think maybe in March, that’d be something that I think it’d be nice to be able to do.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-interview-staycations-5344381-Feb2021/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

D.Q wrote: »
    You're aware there's a ramp up to this? As in the current rate is going to continue to rise. Moronic calculations.

No, I'm not aware because there is no information available on the HSE website providing details on the ramp up plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Bret Weinstein? Well respected?! Come on. This is supposed to be a serious thread.

Construction and schools after 3 months of level 5 is hardly reopening too early

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Construction and schools after 3 months of level 5 is hardly reopening too early

Some people don't seem to want the schools to re-open until their children are in their twenties and left home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Judging by this, intelligence means staying locked up till June. It will not be the way of things. There's a lot more to the management of this than just the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Will it not be based on deaths and cases and hospital situation.

I assume you can't just open up based on the fact that everyone has had enough of the lock down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Cheltenham 2021.......................

Still-a-Chance-300x162.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

No, I'm not aware because there is no information available on the HSE website providing details on the ramp up plan...

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/bf337-covid-19-vaccination-strategy-and-implementation-plan/

542690.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Utterly pathetic....

People still peddling this garbage, we've gotten 90% of vaccines are in arms and over 60% who've received first dose have received the second.

By using the sentence "based on the current rate" you know enough to know you're talking ****e.

• Advertisement

Widescreen wrote: »
    Will it not be based on deaths and cases and hospital situation.

I assume you can't just open up based on the fact that everyone has had enough of the lock down?

All should hopefully keep falling for the rest of the month

Martin is peddling the slow and cautious reopening line again today so all that's on the table will be construction and schools

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement