Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

KrustyUCC wrote:
    Construction and schools after 3 months of level 5 is hardly reopening too early
    It's the numbers that are concerning. We need to get down to mid double digits before reopening.
    This is two fold, firstly it'll take time to build back up and secondly we should have a lot of the people who are high risk vaccinated by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bambi wrote: »
    Weinstein has more credibility than China and the WHO, that said Doctor Robotnik has more credibility than them.

One of the lead investigators Peter Daszak had close ties with the Wuhan facility prior to this pandemic. He also rubbishes the idea that it could have possibly come from a lab last year, long before this current "investigation" started. So he clearly went in with an open mind :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Whiplash85 wrote:
    Irony alert.

Please explain this comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

titan18 wrote: »
    A fair few countries have already starting to reduce restrictions.

Not just the political leaders

The public and the public mood , and possible unrest , demonstrations and even riots eventually over continuing restrictions

We won't be an outlier if restrictions are relaxed in Europe so it's not all about decision making here imo

The public here will do nothing so I'm looking to the public in Europe to sense the mood and restrictions there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Sanjuro wrote: »
    He really doesn't though. He's a right-wing dip**** who whinges about cancel culture and tried to get Tulsi Gabbard and Dan Crenshaw to run as a unity ticket in the 2020 election. He's a moron. A well-read moron, but a moron none the less.

Right wing? You clearly know bugger all about him if you think he's a right winger. He couldn't be further from right if he tried.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's the numbers that are concerning. We need to get down to mid double digits before reopening.
    This is two fold, firstly it'll take time to build back up and secondly we should have a lot of the people who are high risk vaccinated by then.

We're on track for for cases to be between 200-400 before the end of February according to Philip Nolan

Construction and schools are a fairly minimal reopening of society

Construction for instance never shut down in a lot of European countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭political analyst

Someone on this forum told me that Covid patients on acute beds receive oxygen treatment and may be admitted to ICU when vacancies arise there. If they're surviving without being in ICU then why is it necessary to take them to ICU at all?

Someone on this forum told me that Covid patients on acute beds receive oxygen treatment and may be admitted to ICU when vacancies arise there. If they're surviving without being in ICU then why is it necessary to take them to ICU at all?

Ridiculous question of the day award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yes.

You do realise pent up demand and an indication of a lockdown in January was a factor in the surge of cases in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

JRant wrote: »
    Right wing? You clearly know bugger all about him if you think he's a right winger. He couldn't be further from right if he tried.

Yeah. Okay. He's not right-wing. Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

UK getting serious with it's quarantine from red zone countries. 1750 pounds per person is fairly steep.
    Anyone who try to get around it could face up to 10 years in prison. I'd say that's to stop the Dublin doge.
    He mention Stephen Donnelly spoke with him this morning and they'll share info on passengers arriving.

Wonder what form ours will be in.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1359124310259077124?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭techdiver

Keyzer wrote: »
    I've read all that material and, as previously posted, the closest thing to a "plan" is the nondescript graph below. No specific dates included, no details on numbers vaccinated.

542690.JPG

Perhaps my expectations are higher than others - I'd have expected the government to be way ahead of the curve on vaccination program given its the only clear route on getting us out of this mess. And, most importantly, saving lives...

230K doses administered and only 80K people fully vaccinated in 6 weeks is nothing to be proud of.

Anyroads, given my original post went down like a wet fart so I'll get my coat...

I agree that graph is amateur hour, but here is the thing I just don't understand.

We were told from the start during vaccine trials that it will be manufactured in parallel and will be ready to go at huge quantities once the approvals have been received. This has now proven to be bull****.

The ramp up exercise is only happening now. Considering the cost to the global economy of a delayed vaccine rollout, I cannot fathom how the governments of the world didn't provide an unlimited war chest of money to ramp up manufacturing earlier. Even if you were to build facilities that would be bulldozed afterwards they would pay for themselves in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

techdiver wrote: »
    I agree that graph is amateur hour, but here is the thing I just don't understand.

We were told from the start during vaccine trials that it will be manufactured in parallel and will be ready to go at huge quantities once the approvals have been received. This has now proven to be bull****.

The ramp up exercise is only happening now. Considering the cost to the global economy of a delayed vaccine rollout, I cannot fathom how the governments of the world didn't provide an unlimited war chest of money to ramp up manufacturing earlier. Even if you were to build facilities that would be bulldozed afterwards they would pay for themselves in the long run.
    No, we were told it would take time to ramp up to the far bigger quantities and that Q1 would be slow on supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/Fionn_Una/status/1358965209902309376
    On twitter you've the very same people who originally claimed all COVID deaths were just unrelated deaths of elderly people recategorised as covid now saying the deaths among nursing home residents who have received a vaccine are directly due to their vaccine. It truly beggars belief. Would people at this level of intellect have gone to school, done the LC? Just trying to explain it in my head and rationalise it but it's scary tbh that this is even forming part of fringe opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sanjuro wrote: »
    He really doesn't though. He's a right-wing dip**** who whinges about cancel culture and tried to get Tulsi Gabbard and Dan Crenshaw to run as a unity ticket in the 2020 election. He's a moron. A well-read moron, but a moron none the less.

right wing, oh deary me. You're very silly and your opinions need not be entertained :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Fionn_Una/status/1358965209902309376
    On twitter you've the very same people who originally claimed all COVID deaths were just unrelated deaths of elderly people recategorised as covid now saying the deaths among nursing home residents who have received a vaccine are directly due to their vaccine. It truly beggars belief. Would people at this level of intellect have gone to school?

Given that they apparently think wear is spelled 'were', I'd have my doubts...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Would people at this level of intellect have gone to school, done the LC? Just trying to explain it in my head and rationalise it but it's scary tbh that this is even forming part of fringe opinion
    Broadly speaking, aside from mental illness a lot of these people are frustrated at their own mediocrity. They're not clever, they're not successful, they're not admired, and they don't understand why.

Incompetent people are rarely aware of their own incompetence, and in fact believe themselves considerably more competent than they are. So a world which is not rewarding their self-belief is one where they're angry and confused.

It is easier and more satisfying for them to believe that they are in fact standing out from the crowd and can see "truth" that others can't. It's then a continuous cycle of confirmation bias - information which reaffirms their own belief that they are exceptional individuals with exceptional and unique intelligence will always be selected over "mainstream" information. Because accepting mainstream information means that you're falling in line with the crowd, and embracing your mediocrity.

But stupid people don't realise they're stupid and won't embrace it.

I watched the start of that "flat earth" film/documentary on Netflix (or maybe it was Louis Theroux). Anyway, at the start of it the main guy was discussing how he'd been involved in or read about virtually every conspiracy theory there was, before he encountered the flat earth theory and he dived straight in and quickly became one of the lead proponents of it. This guy spent his life seeking out conspiracy theories, and accepting them wholesale and running with them; so desperate was his need to believe that he was special.

You do realise pent up demand and an indication of a lockdown in January was a factor in the surge of cases in January.

I realise that people sitting ten metres apart in a restaurant with no facemasks was insane. I realise that there was huge abuse of the rules in many establishments all over the country.
    I realised before it happened that opening that early would lead to craziness in shops , restaurants, gastro pubs and even in families with houses being packed up with visitors.
    Irish people are pretty passive for the most part. We've taken on lots of stuff we didn't like over the years and just kept the head down and rolled with it
    The lack of organisation by the government is astonishing.
    Why hadn't they a proper set of rules and major fines for anybody breaking them?
    Why did they not forces shops and pubs to all have approved numbers for their venues and have all visitors by bookings only.
    For instance every court in the country has a numbers limit depending on its size and people in place to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

mloc123 wrote: »
    Remember when they announced the 5 level plan... and did't stick to it once since :pac:

The level 5 plan has been completely pointless since it was announced. Almost straight away the first thing they said was Dublin lies somewhere around 2.5 which made an instant mockery of it, and ever since the country has been in "Level X with some adjustments". I think they need to come out with a 'roadmap' to re-opening in March - the one they had last summer worked reasonably well. I know we didn't get to the final stage but the first 4 stages or so worked fairly well and it gave people an idea of when certain sectors would re-open.

You'd imagine it will be prioritised like this roughly:
    1. Schools/Construction
    2. Retail/Hairdressers/Gyms
    3. Sports, Outdoor gatherings, travel limits gone, etc
    4. Hospitality & Restaurants
    5. Pubs

Although not sure on the timeline. I think the ball needs to start rolling in March though, people will not react well if they say "another month of the same" on March 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

seamus wrote: »
    Broadly speaking, aside from mental illness a lot of these people are frustrated at their own mediocrity. They're not clever, they're not successful, they're not admired, and they don't understand why.

Incompetent people are rarely aware of their own incompetence, and in fact believe themselves considerably more competent than they are. So a world which is not rewarding their self-belief is one where they're angry and confused.

It is easier and more satisfying for them to believe that they are in fact standing out from the crowd and can see "truth" that others can't. It's then a continuous cycle of confirmation bias - information which reaffirms their own belief that they are exceptional individuals with exceptional and unique intelligence will always be selected over "mainstream" information. Because accepting mainstream information means that you're falling in line with the crowd, and embracing your mediocrity.

But stupid people don't realise they're stupid and won't embrace it.

I watched the start of that "flat earth" film/documentary on Netflix (or maybe it was Louis Theroux). Anyway, at the start of it the main guy was discussing how he'd been involved in or read about virtually every conspiracy theory there was, before he encountered the flat earth theory and he dived straight in and quickly became one of the lead proponents of it. This guy spent his life seeking out conspiracy theories, and accepting them wholesale and running with them; so desperate was his need to believe that he was special.

Yea this is basically how cults start. Scientology, anti vax movements etc. Can happen very (IQ) educated people also but probably not emotionally or people at a vulnerable stage in their .

Their will be some cray conspiracy theories in a few years on the back of this pandemic.

This was all a set up for the Great Reset I think will probably be the major one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Bambi wrote: »
    right wing, oh deary me. You're very silly and your opinions need not be entertained :o

And you're claiming Weinstein is credible. You're far sillier and far more in need of not being entertained! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I can understand mid double digits before hospitality, but if they wait or try and wait that long for hairdressers, gyms, non essential retail, I think that isn't correct. There's being cautious and there's being cowardly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I realise that people sitting ten metres apart in a restaurant with no facemasks was insane. I realise that there was huge abuse of the rules in many establishments all over the country.
    I realised before it happened that opening that early would lead to craziness in shops , restaurants, gastro pubs and even in families with houses being packed up with visitors.
    Irish people are pretty passive for the most part. We've taken on lots of stuff we didn't like over the years and just kept the head down and rolled with it
    The lack of organisation by the government is astonishing.
    Why hadn't they a proper set of rules and major fines for anybody breaking them?
    Why did they not forces shops and pubs to all have approved numbers for their venues and have all visitors by bookings only.
    For instance every court in the country has a numbers limit depending on its size and people in place to enforce it.

I realise you realise very little, so let's leave it there.
    Your claim that the pandemic was over prior to Christmas didn't age to well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

titan18 wrote: »
    I can understand mid double digits before hospitality, but if they wait or try and wait that long for hairdressers, gyms, non essential retail, I think that isn't correct. There's being cautious and there's being cowardly.

The 9 cases of the SA strain here and growing, and the Kent strain now being the countries dominant strain, changes the whole game unfortunately.

No comparison between 2020 and 2021 plans and timelines.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wombatman wrote: »
    The 9 cases of the SA strain here and growing, and the Kent strain now being the countries dominant strain, changes the whole game unfortunately.

No comparison between 2020 and 2021 plans and timelines.

It’s time to forget this craic about the Kent strain. It makes no difference to vaccine efficacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

On the balance of probability I would say this was manufactured in a Chinese lab and accidentally leaked to outside world.

China will of course have covered up all evidence by now so this is pure speculation but of the likely causes of the outbreak this strikes me as the most credible....we may never know however

I think the ball needs to start rolling in March though, people will not react well if they say "another month of the same" on March 5th.

If they get to March 5th and just go "oooh, remember that lockdown we did on Stephens Day that was to end on February 6th? We're just going to extend it even further now, into April. Sure we might come back in April and extend it into May. Maybe June. And we're not going to give you any transparency on what has to happen to get it lifted. Anyway lads, that's us all off to the States, you have a nice time at home", it's over for them.

What i do find curious is that the variants and reduced vaccine efficacy wasn't all flagged up last year

Variants and virus mutation is routine yet from I what I heard the experts were all saying that the vaccine was the panacea and no mention of these issues

It all seems so obvious now that unknown strains and booster jabs were going to be part of the equation

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭allaboutt

That outbreak of the SA, astra Zenica vaccine beating variant is growing quite rapidly in Austria. Not good. Wonder will they introduce travel restrictions to their next.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1359135923615719428?s=20

Here is the CDC VAERS Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System for the reporting of all Vaccine Adverse Affects including Covid 19.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/

From the 1/29/2021 release of VAERS data:
    Found 11,249 cases where Vaccine is COVID19
    https://medalerts.org/vaersdb/findfi...ON&VAX=COVID19

From the 1/29/2021 release of VAERS data:
    Found 501 cases where Vaccine is COVID19 and Patient Died
    https://medalerts.org/vaersdb/findfi...VID19&DIED=Yes

Event Outcome Count
    Death 501
    Permanent Disability 156
    Office Visit 1,446
    Emergency Room 18
    Emergency Doctor/Room 2,425
    Hospitalized 1,066
    Recovered 4,292
    Birth Defect 12
    Life Threatening 383
    Not Serious 4,106
    TOTAL † 14,405

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Even against the SA strain, even though it's stated that the AZ vaccine is ineffective at preventing mild to moderate disease, read between the lines and you can infer that it still prevents serious disease and fatality. That's surely worth bearing in mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement