Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭techdiver

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, we were told it would take time to ramp up to the far bigger quantities and that Q1 would be slow on supplies.

It was consistently stated back as far as last March that vaccine manufacturing would be ramped up in parallel with trial so as to have massive quantities ready once approval was reached. My point is we shouldn't have waited until approval to begin the ramp up.

The ramping up should have been front loaded. As what transpired is no manufacturer took the risk (rightly so on their part) to properly fund the ramping up of manufacturing until they received approval. A simple indemnification and direct funding from governments could have resolved this.

The following article is proof that they sat on the fence until approval.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-ceo-stresses-covid-19-vaccine-manufacturing-maneuvering-as-it-misses

They missed deadlines due to delays in approval. This shouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wombatman wrote: »
    The 9 cases of the SA strain here and growing, and the Kent strain now being the countries dominant strain, changes the whole game unfortunately.

No comparison between 2020 and 2021 plans and timelines.

Why is it not making a difference to other countries reopening stuff then? Several countries seem to have reopened places this week or announced plans to reopen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Conspiracy theories forum starring Jesse Ventura >>>

far from a conspiracy theory at this stage and to be honest it's a rather narrow-minded and unhelpful way aimed at stifling debate for whatever reason.

I am open to discussing all possibilities. In fact it could be argued that it is irresponsible NOT to do so. What do you think of the info below?

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/idea-that-covid-19-began-as-a-lab-leak-spreads

Encouraged by that, we are trending in right direction despite resumption of contact tracing. Hopefully we never cross the 1,000 threshold again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭amandstu

mikelike wrote: »
    In young people it does, who don't get serious disease anyway, they've no proof it works against that variant if your old and vulnerable to the disease.

Under the strongish impression that it (at least probably) does just that.(someone more knowledgeable can chip in if they have a link or a reference)

Not to say that will always be the case (ie with new variants/strains)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Encouraged by that, we are trending in right direction despite resumption of contact tracing. Hopefully we never cross the 1,000 threshold again.

Tomorrow is the big day. If we stay under 1,000 it should be the end of 4 digit results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I very rarely catch day time radio but just caught Joe Duffy there as I had to drive for work and I had turned on Creedon last night going to the shop. So, there he was on the dial, the emperor of misery ..ages since I heard him
    Listening to all the poor people telling about their long covid synptoms, symptoms that have totally fecked them for months and months even if they did not get that bad of a dose in the first place. Shocking. Makes me cross and I swear to God in years to come people will look down on our retarded ignorance at this time that we allowed an unknown, novel, highly contagious virus, that causes such quantifiable harm to such a significant percentage of those who catch it, to casually become endemic. That's all I have to say after listening to those people. And I don't give a shyte for all those who sneer about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jhegarty wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the big day. If we stay under 1,000 it should be the end of 4 digit results.
    If it doesn't, don't be disheartened though. We're kind of on the cusp of it, so we could still see 1,100 swabs tomorrow and/or Thursday and we're still going in the right direction.

Anything under 1,080 tomorrow and our 7-day average swabs will be under 1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Our hospitals coped with 8k a day . Yes it was bad but they got through it.

At what stage of our vaccination plan could we open fully at the highest spike would be 8k before it started coming down

I would guess start of April

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

UK getting serious with it's quarantine from red zone countries. 1750 pounds per person is fairly steep.
    Anyone who try to get around it could face up to 10 years in prison. I'd say that's to stop the Dublin doge.
    He mention Stephen Donnelly spoke with him this morning and they'll share info on passengers arriving.

Wonder what form ours will be in.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1359124310259077124?s=20

A scouts honour pinky swear with Eamon Ryan that they'll stay home. There'll be little need for it by the time this government try to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The level 5 plan has been completely pointless since it was announced. Almost straight away the first thing they said was Dublin lies somewhere around 2.5 which made an instant mockery of it, and ever since the country has been in "Level X with some adjustments". I think they need to come out with a 'roadmap' to re-opening in March - the one they had last summer worked reasonably well. I know we didn't get to the final stage but the first 4 stages or so worked fairly well and it gave people an idea of when certain sectors would re-open.

You'd imagine it will be prioritised like this roughly:
    1. Schools/Construction
    2. Retail/Hairdressers/Gyms
    3. Sports, Outdoor gatherings, travel limits gone, etc
    4. Hospitality & Restaurants
    5. Pubs

Although not sure on the timeline. I think the ball needs to start rolling in March though, people will not react well if they say "another month of the same" on March 5th.

Thye pretty much have set it up for 'another month' of the same bar Schools/construction

Reasonable set up of priorities in fairness to you

Could go like Match 5th Schools/Construction
    April 6th after Easter Retail/Hairdressers/Gyms
    May 4th after Bank Holiday Sports, Outdoor gatherings, travel limits gone, etc
    June 8th after Bank Holiday Hospitality & Restaurants
    2022 Pubs seeing as the majority never opened last year for any length of time

I do think they'll come under pressure to have hotels open for the June Bank Holiday though

Good figures even accounting for the level of testing

Nice to see the positivity rate down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

techdiver wrote: »
    It was consistently stated back as far as last March that vaccine manufacturing would be ramped up in parallel with trial so as to have massive quantities ready once approval was reached. My point is we shouldn't have waited until approval to begin the ramp up.

The ramping up should have been front loaded. As what transpired is no manufacturer took the risk (rightly so on their part) to properly fund the ramping up of manufacturing until they received approval. A simple indemnification and direct funding from governments could have resolved this.

The following article is proof that they sat on the fence until approval.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/astrazeneca-ceo-stresses-covid-19-vaccine-manufacturing-maneuvering-as-it-misses

They missed deadlines due to delays in approval. This shouldn't have happened.
    That's AZ, not the rest and AZ made a bit of a shambles of the whole trial and were culpable in the delays themselves. Bear in mind they still haven't gone to the FDA. The delay with the EMA was for quality data, which they eventually delivered. Pfizer were upfront about the need to ramp up and that Q1 into Q2 was when that would happen fully. It was known that tiny Moderna were going to take until Q2 to deliver good sized quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

pc7 wrote: »
    A scouts honour pinky swear with Eamon Ryan that they'll stay home. There'll be little need for it by the time this government try to sort it.

Haha yeah. I don't know though, I'd still think there'll be a need for it. Data coming out of SA is fairly concerning. Showing that previous infection doesn't protect against the mutant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good figures even accounting for the level of testing

Nice to see the positivity rate down a bit
    It would be very concerning if the positivity rate didn't start coming down when they started testing asymptomatic contacts..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Schools and Construction are the only change for a full month after March 5th that's a pretty big kick in the nuts for people not impacted by either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Haha yeah. I don't know though, I'd still think there'll be a need for it. Data coming out of SA is fairly concerning. Showing that previous infection doesn't protect against the mutant either.

I just don't have any faith in them dealing with it, they barely deal with parties, weddings, funerals breaking rules, just don't see them getting their sh1te together to do this (right) if needed.

Our hospitals coped with 8k a day . Yes it was bad but they got through it.

At what stage of our vaccination plan could we open fully at the highest spike would be 8k before it started coming down

I would guess start of April
    Skin of our teeth tbh. A lot of sacrifices were made to make this work. Our hospitals "coped" in the same way that a parent might "cope" with the loss of a child. Just because it didn't fall to complete **** doesn't mean we can go back there whenever we want. At least 1,000 people have died and another 100,000 infected.

We would never want to open up to a point where we would have 2,000 people in hospital again.

IMHO, we could open up fully in June (assuming everything is otherwise on track), and while we'd see a short spike in cases, our hospitalisation rates woul remain low. It would be a gamble though, and an unnecessary one at that.
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Thye pretty much have set it up for 'another month' of the same bar Schools/construction

Reasonable set up of priorities in fairness to you

Could go like Match 5th Schools/Construction
    April 6th after Easter Retail/Hairdressers/Gyms
    May 4th after Bank Holiday Sports, Outdoor gatherings, travel limits gone, etc
    June 8th after Bank Holiday Hospitality & Restaurants
    2022 Pubs seeing as the majority never opened last year for any length of time

I do think they'll come under pressure to have hotels open for the June Bank Holiday though
    This all looks perfectly reasonable under a no-vaccine scenario tbh. The vaccine will accelerate a lot of plans. Some will probably be brought forward considerably - sports and small outdoor gatherings for example will be well feasible in April, if not mid-March.

Hospitality - certainly hotels and "residents only" restaurants will be open by mid-May. Restaurants will likely be almost fully open come June. Hotels are taking bookings from at least the June bank holiday onwards and many are nearly sold out for July & August. That doesn't mean they have to open up, but it does show where public sentiment is. And that will guide political decisions.

Pubs will open very tentatively, but even so I think July is not unreasonable.

All depends on there being no major shift in things of course, such as half a million vaccines being sunk in the Irish sea or something.

AdamD wrote: »
    If Schools and Construction are the only change for a full month after March 5th that's a pretty big kick in the nuts for people not impacted by either.
    They are the only ones they will talk about publicly at present. There are probably other things that are contingent on the data.

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    It would be very concerning if the positivity rate didn't start coming down when they started testing asymptomatic contacts..
    There's a bit of a bump because they were doing mass testing. Which would also bring the positivity rate down. So when you swap mass testing for close contact testing, your positivity rate goes up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I realise you realise very little, so let's leave it there. Your claim that the pandemic was over prior to Christmas didn't age to well either.
    I didn't day it was over, I said when the ivermectin treatment gets the go ahead that it'll be over. It's taking longer than I expected for this to happen but when you have billion dollar companies like Pfizer and moderna with a vaccine they are going to try to trip up a cheap drug at every turn.
    As it stands there a clinical trial going on in Oxford University Hospital and I expect the results of that will pave the way for this treatment.
    It's not a vaccine, it's a treatment which prevents people getting seriously ill.ir dying from covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are the only ones they will talk about publicly at present. There are probably other things that are contingent on the data.

No school will open if its deemed unsafe for other indoor industries to open . So it will just be construction

seamus wrote: »

This all looks perfectly reasonable under a no-vaccine scenario tbh. The vaccine will accelerate a lot of plans. Some will probably be brought forward considerably - sports and small outdoor gatherings for example will be well feasible in April, if not mid-March.

Hospitality - certainly hotels and "residents only" restaurants will be open by mid-May. Restaurants will likely be almost fully open come June. Hotels are taking bookings from at least the June bank holiday onwards and many are nearly sold out for July & August. That doesn't mean they have to open up, but it does show where public sentiment is. And that will guide political decisions.

Pubs will open very tentatively, but even so I think July is not unreasonable.

All depends on there being no major shift in things of course, such as half a million vaccines being sunk in the Irish sea or something.

I hope you're right Seamus and it would be fantastic to see that timetable

I have a booking for the June Bank Holiday but not at all confident it will go ahead at the moment

No school will open if its deemed unsafe for other indoor industries to open . So it will just be construction
    School are not deemed unsafe, they remained closed because of the level of rampant community spread and the unwise prospect of 1m moving about. It's also government policy to have schools open as soon as they can.

AdamD wrote: »

It's a kick alright but I can accept nothing else will be considered to reopen

That will buy the government another month

After that they will start to come under considerably more pressure imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

seamus wrote: »
    There's a bit of a bump because they were doing mass testing. Which would also bring the positivity rate down. So when you swap mass testing for close contact testing, your positivity rate goes up a bit.
    Were they doing mass random testing? I thought they were just testing symptomatics (and frontliners etc.). Fair enough then.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I didn't day it was over, I said when the ivermectin treatment gets the go ahead that it'll be over. It's taking longer than I expected for this to happen but when you have billion dollar companies like Pfizer and moderna with a vaccine they are going to try to trip up a cheap drug at every turn.
    As it stands there a clinical trial going on in Oxford University Hospital and I expect the results of that will pave the way for this treatment.
    It's not a vaccine, it's a treatment which prevents people getting seriously ill.ir dying from covid.

It's nothing to do with Pfizer or Moderna tripping it up. The studies promoting it's benefit are of very poor quality. Even Merck the actual developers of Ivermectin are skeptical of it's value as a treatment and they stand to make a fortune from it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-merck-antiparasite-idUSKBN2A42L1

It's my first time hearing of it but it's a generic drug so not that much to be made really. And of course they have to say that. They can't legally say anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is it true that 50% of all the Covid deaths in Ireland are from nursing homes?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement