Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hardyn wrote: »
    You have to be careful with the results of that study. It was designed to test the efficacy of the vaccine in HIV positive people. It was never intended to test the efficacy of the vaccine against the South African variant or the risk of reinfection. Its unlikely the seropostive and seronegative were suitably matched by demographic and risk. There are also concerns regaeding the test used for antibodies. The numbers in the study were also quite low so overall it's far from conclusive.

Good point. There were 2200 enrolled in the placebo arm. From the slide above there were 2168 compared for previous infection so I'd say they removed those HIV + for this analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

seamus wrote: »
    We know that schools are safe.

Do "we" ?

Don't be a fool. If they were "safe" they would not be closed since before Christmas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

techdiver wrote: »
    The vaccine rollout is a lot slower than originally envisioned. Reports yesterday that over 70's won't be fully vaccinated until May (source - https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40222058.html). For the vaccine to be useful in stopping hospitalisations and serious illness we will probably need all over 60's to be vaccinated.

As much as I want it I can't see then loosening restrictions until that is achieved which looks like June at this rate.

When it comes to COVID I would suggest everybody take a more conservative approach to expectations.

Best laid plans of mice and men ....

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Who is ''they'' ...exactly? Names, positions and motivations for being such a ''they'' please.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9239863/amp/Britain-trapped-lockdown-cycles-YEARS-SAGE-scientist-warns.html

Just over one week since you posted that question regarding indefinite/never ending lockdown and you now have your answer, albeit UK based rather than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

No school will open if its deemed unsafe for other indoor industries to open . So it will just be construction

iF THEY open all schools we will be back in trouble fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Miccoli wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9239863/amp/Britain-trapped-lockdown-cycles-YEARS-SAGE-scientist-warns.html

Just over one week since you posted that question regarding indefinite/never ending lockdown and you now have your answer, albeit UK based rather than Ireland.

Only read the headline but it is only one attention seeking persons opinion not a fact!!!

is_that_so wrote: »
    HSE data says they are not high risk, based on far lower transmission rates.

that data is skewed to support the fallacy that they are not high risk. Loads of people in a poky classrooom is no safer than the same number in the function room of a pub

seamus wrote: »
    This is tired nonsense. We know that schools are safe. We had "25 people in a room together" during the previous level 5 and saw cases plummet.

NPHET's opinion is that schools are safe environments. The local data and the local experts believe they are safe environments.

The only people "making up scenarios" are those who continue to claim that schools are unsafe based on gut feeling and nothing else.

Some schools are already opening on Thursday. And some more 11 days after that. The rest of them will follow suit in 2-3 weeks.

They didnt plummet, They started rising in sepetember as sooon as the schools opened

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We havent the vaccine supply to open up anything till mid-May.

Good luck tying to sell no reopening until mid May with a sizeable cohort of the most vulnerable and hcws already vaccinated

That's 5 months of level five not seeing friends, family, partners even within counties not to mind in other counties

Construction, Schools, Non essential retail and hairdressers are low hanging fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

There's still a lot to figure out with the new variant and vaccines. There is evidence that the J&J vaccine is effective in preventing hospitalisation and severe which is positive.
    That data is unknown for the others. Astra isn't effective at preventing mild and moderate though.

More data needed.

542759.png

Novovax performed much worse against S.A variant compared to U.K variant. (90% vs 50%)

542762.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Only read the headline but it is only one attention seeking persons opinion not a fact!!!

Its not a fact, but he's a member of Sage so it shows this way of thinking is likely prevalent in these advisory groups.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bb1234567 wrote: »
    40% roughly yeh
    A few days ago there was a news announcement saying Ireland had hit 1500 nursing home deaths, around same time total deaths were about 3600

It sounds high(and is) but it's about average in most western countries

Does 40% sound high? Would 0% be better and everyone who died was a non-vulnerable person?

Talking about relative numbers in something like this is a bit flawed. You could have 1 total nursing home death and 0 in the rest of the population and you have 100% of deaths in nursing homes, but I don't think that would be a bad result.

A better comparative against other countries might be the % of total nursing home population that has died of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

techdiver wrote: »
    The vaccine rollout is a lot slower than originally envisioned. Reports yesterday that over 70's won't be fully vaccinated until May (source - https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40222058.html).
    Don't worry - apparently we're going to ramp up the vaccinations, and we'll be at Dublin Airport in forty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good luck tying to sell no reopening until mid May with a sizeable cohort of the most vulnerable and hcws already vaccinated

That's 5 months of level five not seeing friends, family, partners even within counties not to mind in other counties

Construction, Schools, Non essential retail and hairdressers are low hanging fruit

We say this every ****ing time. The public wont accept it. We wont close the schools again even in L5. We wont close construction again even in L5. We wont have another full lockdown.

We even had a German health minister saying they wouldn't have a full lockdown ever again in Germany last Sep.
    BERLIN — German Health Minister Jens Spahn said that with today's knowledge, the coronavirus lockdown would not have had to be so drastic.

Speaking to Bild, Spahn defended the country's lockdown measures and said it was a matter of finding the right balance between health protection and freedom.

"Today we can make better decisions between protection and everyday life because we know more, because we have more experience," he said. We now know, he added, "how we can deal with this ... especially if we wear masks and keep our distance without restrictions."

WHO telling us lockdowns arent the way forward.

Yet time and time again it happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Can we take the vaccine discussion to the appropriate thread please, no need for it to dominate discussion in here as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A way to go yet perhaps.
    Northern Ireland's chief medical officer has said some coronavirus restrictions may have to remain in place until next year.

Dr Michael McBride likened the new UK variant of the virus to "a finely tuned sportscar", which he said will accelerate quickly if restrictions are eased too soon.

He said it might not be possible to lift all restrictions until "70 to 80%" of the population has been vaccinated.

Around 22% of adults in Northern Ireland have received a first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine.

"If you want to talk about spring next year and 2022, I think that there will be some of the restrictions, not all of the current restrictions, but there will still need to be some restrictions in place," he said.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

68 deaths

556 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Out with the old , in with the new! New Living with COVID plan on the way.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0209/1196068-covid-plan/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭celt262

What does be the reason for a backlog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Stheno wrote: »
    Another Tuesday spike in deaths but at least well down on previous Tuesdays.

Good case numbers and hopefully on course for 800 per day average by the end of this week.

We say this every ****ing time. The public wont accept it. We wont close the schools again even in L5. We wont close construction again even in L5. We wont have another full lockdown.

We even had a German health minister saying they wouldn't have a full lockdown ever again in Germany last Sep.

WHO telling us lockdowns arent the way forward.

Yet time and time again it happens.

Fair point but I do think that after months of level 5 the public are going to want to see a reasonable plan for reopening

What is the point in trying to keep restricting to get cases numbers low and then only to see months more of a slow painful reopening?

People will make their own judgements

I know that the plan is being carefully watched in relation to travel by many people

My colleagues husband is Italian

Unless they can get a very reasonable staycation early in the year (June at the latest) then they're booking Italy even with quarantine afterwards

Now is the government better off trying to keep couples like them at home? I would say Yes

My friend hasn't seen his partner since 20th of December

No way are they waiting until intercounty travel comes back to see each other again as that could be 5-6 months the way Leo & Co are spinning

Do the government actually think it's reasonable to ask couples like that to keep apart for that length of time?

There might not be anything open but people won't blindly accept ongoing restrictions either

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

To misquote an old saying

“Here comes the new plan,same as the old plan”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Definitely a backlog building again. Swabs higher than cases by 1,000 over the last 2 weeks. Even best case, I’d imagine a backlog of 600 or 700.

Stheno wrote: »

RIP

Great to see cases so low but definitely a backlog building

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's amazing how much I hate Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

I just submitted my tax return for this year and didn't avail of the "Stay and Pray" scheme for eating out on the government's dime, which I'm sure resulted in many covid cases and associated medical bills, not to mention the fact that the advertising for the scheme cost more money than it actually raised.

I did get €30 towards my heating, electricity and broadband (for which I payed €600, on just the days I worked from home). Great tax break for such a difficult time, well worth the hour it took me to get all the bills together and figure it out.

If my spouse had been wfh as well we might have gotten €60 but ironically they're in hospitality so they were on the PUP.

No doubt this one will be just as changeable when it suits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Benimar wrote: »
    Definitely a backlog building again. Swabs higher than cases by 1,000 over the last 2 weeks. Even best case, I’d imagine a backlog of 600 or 700.

Yep. I find it irritating. I really don't get why don't just report the positive swabs, it's more consistent data (even if it includes a small amount of duplicate caes)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They didn't live with the old plan FFS, a load of bull. Tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement