Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

titan18 wrote: »
    It's amazing how much I hate Varadkar.

I think you’re looking at too much social media - clearly a hate campaign going on against him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good figures on reduction in positive cases, will be sub 500 in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭aziz

Didn’t mind him upto recently but now I’m sick of the sight of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Benimar wrote: »
    Definitely a backlog building again. Swabs higher than cases by 1,000 over the last 2 weeks. Even best case, I’d imagine a backlog of 600 or 700.

Would 1,000 excess swabs over 2 weeks not seem pretty standard though? I thought Nolan said before that 5-10% of swabs are retests, 1,000 over the last 2 weeks seems to be in line with that percentage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

donfers wrote: »
    On the balance of probability I would say this was manufactured in a Chinese lab and accidentally leaked to outside world.

China will of course have covered up all evidence by now so this is pure speculation but of the likely causes of the outbreak this strikes me as the most credible....we may never know however

Ancient-Aliens-memes-22.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think you’re looking at too much social media - clearly a hate campaign going on against him there.

Nope, just everytime he opens his mouth and I hear or read it, I think fcuk this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

frank8211 wrote: »
    that data is skewed to support the fallacy that they are not high risk. Loads of people in a poky classrooom is no safer than the same number in the function room of a pub

The person that compares the education and well being of our younger generation to a pub, shop or other industry has no value or clue as to the vital importance education is to our society and future.
    Schools should be reopening after the midterm. Madness to keep dragging this out, children are disengaging and fed up. Get Primary back ASAP and test the teachers if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Would 1,000 excess swabs over 2 weeks not seem pretty standard though? I thought Nolan said before that 5-10% of swabs are retests, 1,000 over the last 2 weeks seems to be in line with that percentage?

Theres about 300 or so today isn't it which seems high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

I’ve been keeping track since the start of September. The overall difference up to 26 January was circa 700.

I can’t see there being a 1,000 difference in 2 weeks to be honest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sam McConkey on with Matt Cooper there about half an hour ago telling us this will go on for another 3-5 years.

Nice little pick me up for a Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭giveitholly

marno21 wrote: »
    Sam McConkey on with Matt Cooper there about half an hour ago telling us this will go on for another 3-5 years.

If that's the case so no need for the vaccines,what purpose do they serve if this continues for another 3-5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

McConkey really is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Out with the old , in with the new! New Living with COVID plan on the way.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0209/1196068-covid-plan/

And straight out the window probably like the "current plan"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Deaths?
    Restrictions?
    The existence of the virus?

Give us something to work with here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Look, Covid isn't going anywhere. It will become endemic and another thing we just have around. Spanish Flu is out there, even. But if he means restrictions, he can do one. They don't know what will happen next month, let alone 3 years time.

Hancock in the UK laying down brass tacks today with relation to those travelling from high-risk countries, here there are only half-measures and intention to discuss legislation in the coming weeks. Living with Covid = slow rollout of the vaccines + inability to impose quarantine + restrictions being extended further. It's beyond pitiful how weak our Government are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Deaths?
    Restrictions?
    The existence of the virus?

Give us something to work with here.

the horse ****e probably

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The incidence of the virus in over 85s, compared to the rest of the population is shocking.

That was all those old people going on those CLUB 70-100 holidays in Ibiza in December bringing back the virus. Disgraceful. Just as well we are locking down the airport to stop them all travelling now.

The same charlatan who predicted tens of thousands of deaths in Dublin alone by last October, his credibility is shot to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Benimar wrote: »
    Definitely a backlog building again. Swabs higher than cases by 1,000 over the last 2 weeks. Even best case, I’d imagine a backlog of 600 or 700.

Do you think retests in hospitals could be a large reason for the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Hellrazer wrote: »
    That was all those old people going on those CLUB 70-100 holidays in Ibiza in December bringing back the virus. Disgraceful. Just as well we are locking down the airport to stop them all travelling now.

They were the same ones with the takeaway pints in November

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭appledrop

At last down to 500. I was getting worried that never seemed to be getting much lower than 1000 for the last while.

Hopefully if this continues we might be able to start getting schools back in March, but it has to be done in safe manner and not the so called 'joke' of close contacts in schools that we had before.

The results from creches since Christmas demonstrates we have to be very careful with this new strain.

Creches had positivity rate of 5% on average from Aug- Dec slightly higher than schools.

In January this grew to 10% and last weeks actually increased again to 12.5%.

Crèches are operating in much safer setting with very reduced numbers compared to schools so we need to be very careful with the close contacts if schools go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,343 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Did Matt ask him who's going to pay for 5 more years worth of restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Do you think retests in hospitals could be a large reason for the difference?

Anything is possible but given there was only a 700 difference on 160,000 swabs (that I tracked), I can’t see there being 1,000 difference on the last 18,000 swabs.

Also there is a 260 difference today which is 32%. That’s just too high, there is a backlog, but I wouldn’t like to say exactly how much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

No he said whatttttt another 5 years of this boyyyy wottt

listener emailed him immediately in total despair with this news matt said calm down we have to report bad news and compared it to the property bubble collapse in the noughties

it was probably the most negative coverage of this virus ive heard in months mcconkey basically said vaccines arent enough aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

McConkey suckles from the public teat so I don't think he gives a shiny one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

No he said whatttttt another 5 years of this boyyyy wottt

listener emailed him immediately in total despair with this news matt said calm down we have to report bad news and compared it to the property bubble collapse in the noughties

That's the problem right there. These goons shouldn't have listeners. I'm glad to say that I have never seen or heard McConkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

To be fair to Varadkar, he did at least seem to vocalise his uneasiness back in October / November (can’t remember when exactly that was) with adhering too closely to the letter of what NPHET were advising — I imagine (maybe presumptuously) simply from knowing as an experienced politician that the situation with restrictions was unsustainable.

He made a tactical error however in the way he expressed that uneasiness, and it came off as a criticism of NPHET rather than simply getting the message out there that a more holistic view was needed on the part of government even if it meant not adhering strictly to the advice and risking greater strain on the health service. In doing so, he teed himself up to be subject to the narrative of “NPHET told you so” when the very inevitable Christmas spike occurred.

Now, I don’t think he or any other politician has the risk appetite to stick their head above the trench in the same way again. They will stick closely to the letter of NPHET advice because an argument of “this is saving lives” is simply a much easier and optically safer line than saying “reopening things might cause another increase in cases and ICU admissions but here are the deep, nuanced reasons as to why that might be a risk worth taking in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

in the space of 15 mins on the matt cooper show while ago

varadker-no travel abroad this year ,extending pup payments for 6 months to cover business not opening up

mcconkey -its going to go on for another 5 years and vaccines wont get rid of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement