Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Confirmed County number still blank on HUB will updated and publish when and if they appear

09-02-2021-p1.jpg
    09-02-2021-p2.jpg
    09-02-2021-p3.jpg
    09-02-2021-p4.jpg
    09-02-2021-p5.jpg
    09-02-2021-p6.jpg
    09-02-2021-p7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭prunudo

in the space of 15 mins on the matt cooper show while ago

varadker-no travel abroad this year ,extending pup payments for 6 months to cover business not opening up

mcconkey -its going to go on for another 5 years and vaccines wont get rid of it

I understand they want to quell expectations but I don't see why, come June or July we can't travel abroad once we have negative tests and vaccinations.

blackcard wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting fond of wearing face masks? Keeps my face warm on these cold days. I don't have to bother to smile at people or have a shave. When I wear a wooly hat along with the face mask, I can get away with people not recognizing me

i have wonky teeth from being mugged years ago,and can smile away without having to worry/be self-concious about people seeing em now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Stheno wrote: »
    Ryan is worse imo

But at least McConkey has some kind of qualifications. Ryan is a florist or something - certainly not qualified in anything relevant.

prunudo wrote: »
    I understand they want to quell expectations but I don't see why, come June or July we can't travel abroad once we have negative tests and vaccinations.

Mediterranean countries did fine with mass travel last summer.

This summer, why should it be any different - especially given that a vaccine is on board and, by then, should have vaccinated a large cohort of the most vulnerable people.

It's pure and unnecessary scaremongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

McConkey is actually a danger when it comes to mental health, I'm not suggesting giving people false hope but he reminds me of a fortune teller exploiting someone that had suffered difficulties in their life.

Stheno wrote: »
    Ryan is worse imo
    I'd disagree, Ryan actually has suggestions in terms of strategy and so far his forecasts have been accurate unlike McConkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'd disagree, Ryan actually has suggestions in terms of strategy and so far his forecasts have been accurate unlike McConkey

Ryan's forecasts have been accurate? He forecast hundreds of children would die last summer if the schools opened in September last. How did that prediction work out?

Ryan's forecasts have been accurate? He forecast hundreds of children would die last summer if the schools opened in September last. How did that prediction work out?
    said in October/ November opening bars for Xmas would be a disaster, has been pushing for mandatory hotel quarinteening from the start.

I'm also highly sceptical of your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

This summer, why should it be any different - especially given that a vaccine is on board and, by then, should have vaccinated a large cohort of the most vulnerable people.

Spain stil is fairly open. Schools haven't closed since last spring lockdown. Bars and non essential allowed open until 6pm. Curfew 10pm. Essential business opened until 8pm.

There is restrictions on travel from town to town except for essential reasons, work, school, medical attention etc..

No problem walking on very quiet beaches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Because they keep shifting the goalposts and will continue to do so.

No government wants to be labelled as the government that allowed people to die - even one death from Covid is too many for some.

So they will continue to take an ultra cautious stance to appease the hordes on social media who largely dictate policy in this populist driven country.

Lets stay locked down permanently because of all those variants and mutations that will inevitably occur in an endemic virus. Lets close borders for years on end. Vaccines? - Don't matter, restrictions are here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Look at the way the virus is mutating every other day. If the vaccines don't work on the new variants, they need to be kept out by restrictions until the vaccines can be tweaked. The travel restrictions go hand-in-hand with the vaccine roll-out because no one wants to go back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You mean like Spain's second wave (worse that it's first) that started mid July and peaked late October? Or Malta who had little or no cases until early August?

said in October/ November opening bars for Xmas would be a disaster, has been pushing for mandatory hotel quarinteening from the start.

I'm also highly sceptical of your claim.

You can be as sceptical as you wish. He made the claim on Primetime.
    He's a clown just like McConkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm amazed people still take McConkey seriously, the man is a laughing stock and has been for months

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Look at the way the virus is mutating every other day. If the vaccines don't work on the new variants, they need to be kept out by restrictions until the vaccines can be tweaked. The travel restrictions go hand-in-hand with the vaccine roll-out because no one wants to go back to square one.

Covid is probably going to be here to stay as an endemic virus. There will always be another variant or mutation.

Restrictions forever so, is what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    I just submitted my tax return for this year and didn't avail of the "Stay and Pray" scheme for eating out on the government's dime, which I'm sure resulted in many covid cases and associated medical bills, not to mention the fact that the advertising for the scheme cost more money than it actually raised.

I did get €30 towards my heating, electricity and broadband (for which I payed €600, on just the days I worked from home). Great tax break for such a difficult time, well worth the hour it took me to get all the bills together and figure it out.

If my spouse had been wfh as well we might have gotten €60 but ironically they're in hospitality so they were on the PUP.

Unfortunately you wouldn't have, unless your spouse was living separately. They divide the costs of the heating/broadband etc. between the spouses, they don't allow a double up claim.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Covid is probably going to be here to stay as an endemic virus. There will always be another variant or mutation.

Covid has mutated thousands of times already. Only three are making headlines.

Coybig_ wrote: »

Not really. They have made light-year improvements in treatments and have rolled out so many vaccines much more quickly than ever expected. If they can keep out variants while protecting the roll-out, it will be easier identify and isolate variants as the arise and tweak the vaccines to deal with them. Also, suppressing the virus right now prevents further variants from emerging. The virus mutates faster in areas with high infection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Azatadine wrote: »
    I dont know why they keep giving McConkey any air. He is in the captivity of negativity and thrives on it.

he could get the job of hosting the late late show if ya man left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You mean like Spain's second wave (worse that it's first) that started mid July and peaked late October? Or Malta who had little or no cases until early August?

You mean madrid yeah. because southern spain wasnt near as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

varadker-no travel abroad this year ,extending pup payments for 6 months to cover business not opening up

wtf is this about. If there is any reason to believe that most of us will receive a vaccine by autumn (?) that will prevent hospitalisation and death, or indeed that the vast majority of vulnerable people will get it even earlier, why wouldn't we be able to travel later this year? Are they under promising and hoping to over deliver? I hope so!
    Simple. Vaccinate all of the at-risk groups, then open the borders again. That should be the barometer for most questions regarding "if we do X restriction, how do we justify undoing it in the future".

That was my hope!

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

tell me your not going by Mc Conkeys ****e today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sure, that makes sense from the perspective of simple common sense — but common sense is not necessarily the rationale being relied on by the powers that be.

Applying what seems to be the chosen State rationale right now, your suggestion takes us down one of two pathways — we close the borders and then either (1) we maintain strict lockdown to avoid any further spike in cases or deaths until we have the vulnerable vaccinated or (2) we reopen some things and thus follows the inevitable rise in cases and the calls for another lockdown. Throw into the mix the fact that the speed of the vaccine rollout is at present looking less than spectacular and it muddies things further.

Either way, it appears to me that the rationale the government has followed thus far invariably leads us to lockdown again anyway.

(1) seems to be the mantra they're determined to follow after the Christmas Clusterf*ck, and not without justification in fairness - how much justification is a matter of opinion. Point is, that's clearly the long game we're now playing with this so in my view not closing the borders in tandem is f*cking ridiculous.

Not really. They have made light-year improvements in treatments and have rolled out so many vaccines much more quickly than ever expected. If they can keep out variants while protecting the roll-out, it will be easier identify and isolate variants as the arise and tweak the vaccines to deal with them. Also, suppressing the virus right now prevents further variants from emerging. The virus mutates faster in areas with high infection.

The vaccines were supposed to signal the end of this, that is what we were told we were holding on for - and thus far all anybody can see is restrictions worsening even as the populace receives their vaccinations. All that is being spoken about is the vaccine not doing the job we were told it would do.

In fact, why would any person on the fence about the vaccine (not me before the pitchforks arrive) take one with everything that is being spouted at the moment?

We have every Tom, Dick and Harry on the media circuit telling everyone how vaccines won't signal the end of this and talking about restrictions until Christmas and beyond. That's even before you look at McConkey and his 5 years.

Now the goalposts have shifted to variants. No, now you see the vaccines aren't enough anymore. It's now the variants. Don't worry yourself that we are almost guaranteed to see variants for as long as this virus is around - which could be indefinetly. We must stay locked down and close the borders because of the variants.

At what point does life resume? At what point do we have the grown up conversation about the cost of restrictions vs what they provide? It seems like the government won't ever have this conversation again after what they see is indirect accusations that they were responsible for deaths over Christmas. So now they will always champion extreme caution and forego everything else.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    tell me your not going by Mc Conkeys ****e today

No, I'm looking at Sweden (Sweden!) closing the border with Norway when two cases of the UK variant were identified there and the UK doing door-to-door testing to try to find the SA variant and finding a similar Bristol variant in the process, not to mention the California variant that caused hospitals to overflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The media and the usual posters on here are jumping all over the new deadly variants, few months ago it was reinfections, then we had long covid. Anything to keep us miserable.

niallo27 wrote: »
    The media and the usual posters on here are jumping all over the new deadly variants, few months ago it was reinfections, then we had long covid. Anything to keep us miserable.

I've heard the Kerry variant is particularly bad, symptoms a desire to wear a flat cap and speaking in an unintelligible accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He has no solutions. Just a hard-on for publicity
    He's the Eamon Dunphy of covid.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »

Why are you miserable? The case numbers are going down and we are getting closer to fewer restrictions every day. There is no sense in spinning castles-in-the-air that they will lift all restrictions tomorrow. It is getting closer though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement