Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Table of Cases and Deaths (totals and per mil) for countries with populations greater than 25 mil

Country, Total Cases Total Deaths Cases per mil Deaths per mil
    UK 3,972,148 113,850 58,326 1,672
    Italy 2,655,319 92,002 43,957 1,523
    USA 27,754,119 478,092 83,551 1,439
    Spain 3,005,487 63,061 64,267 1,348
    Mexico 1,936,013 166,731 14,921 1,285
    Peru 1,191,221 42,467 35,826 1,277
    France 3,360,235 80,147 51,410 1,226
    Colombia 2,161,462 56,290 42,206 1,099
    Brazil 9,560,362 232,431 44,784 1,089
    Argentina 1,985,501 49,398 43,688 1,087

Source: Worldometers.info

The above table is self explanatory. It's today's data for the total and per million cases and deaths for the top 10 countries with populations greater than 25 million people.

Normally, the countries with the highest per capita figures are tiny places like Gibraltar, San Marino and Andorra. But those figures can be very misleading. The above table filters out all countries with populations less than 25 million. As can be seen, Britain still has by far the worst per capita death rates of any "large" country in the world.

Just as well they're rushing out the vaccines. They need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

niallo27 wrote: »
    The media and the usual posters on here are jumping all over the new deadly variants, few months ago it was reinfections, then we had long covid. Anything to keep us miserable.
    Don't forget the ones who were concerned about unfettered travel into the country, weren't comfortable pinning all the country's hopes on the vaccines, and were so grinchy that they were afraid pandering to the "meaningful Christmas" crowd would lead to more cases.

The media and the usual posters on here are jumping all over the new deadly variants, few months ago it was reinfections, then we had long covid. Anything to keep us miserable.

Next, it'll be Ultra Long COVID - COVID that lasts longer than 12-months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Why are you miserable? The case numbers are going down and we are getting closer to fewer restrictions every day. There is no sense in spinning castles-in-the-air that they will lift all restrictions tomorrow. It is getting closer though.

I'm miserable because the government and a large portion of the population buy into this crap, NPHET would have us locked down for years if they could. This new variant scaremongering is all over the media. Are we closer though, the only restrictions that will be lifted are ones that should never have been restricted in the first place like construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My pal, 50 with no underlying conditions got released yesterday, was covid free for the last week in hospital after three weeks in ICU.
    Back in this morning, his lungs are in bits, likely long covid.
    It's awful, I'm very worried for him.
    It seems this new strain is far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Next, it'll be Ultra Long COVID - COVID that lasts longer than 12-months.

Don't be facetious.

I had post viral syndrome about 10 years ago after the worse dose of seasonal flu in my life and it left me effed for almost 8 months, in the prime of my life with no underlying conditions.

The thoughts of a Covid version, where health care services and convalescence are under massive pressure, make my blood run cold.

eagle eye wrote: »
    My pal, 50 with no underlying conditions got released yesterday, was covid free for the last week in hospital after three weeks in ICU.
    Back in this morning, his lungs are in bits, likely long covid.
    It's awful, I'm very worried for him.
    It seems this new strain is far worse.

They identified the strain he contracted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

blackcard wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting fond of wearing face masks? Keeps my face warm on these cold days. I don't have to bother to smile at people or have a shave. When I wear a wooly hat along with the face mask, I can get away with people not recognizing me

I don’t leave the house without it these mornings

A great nose warmer

I reckon they could catch on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm miserable because the government and a large portion of the population buy into this crap, NPHET would have us locked down for years if they could.

One of those ubiquitous experts was on with Matt Cooper on the Last Word tonight (think it might have been Sam McConkey) and he said he reckons we will be fighting this virus for the next 3 to 5 years.

That's just the type of upbeat news we need. There will be civil unrest if we were to be having rolling lockdowns for the next 5 years.

Plus no country could afford it. They would simply reach a point when they would just have to open up fully once everyone who wants a vaccine has one, and you takes your chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

This RTE investigates is tough to watch.

I like face masks in shops and that now. If somebody is dicking around, you can stick your tongue out or mouth a good big 'eff you' at them. Very therapeutic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Don't be facetious.

I had post viral syndrome about 10 years ago after the worse dose of seasonal flu in my life and it left me effed for almost 8 months, in the prime of my life with no underlying conditions.

The thoughts of a Covid version, where health care services and convalescence are under massive pressure, make my blood run cold.

We have had probably up to 400k cases in the country, 300k anyway realistically, every lockdown our hospitals have low capacity. Why are they not full with patients with long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

fits wrote: »
    thats why i'm watching man utd v west ham now and first dates( English version) when its over, need an escape at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why does everyone interviewed who has covid say they only went to the shops??

Some probably did, and picked it up through surface contact or some such.

Some are just ashamed.

A phobia of pitchforks and a baying mob?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

A phobia of pitchforks and a baying mob?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

Christ almighty. Government working on a revised living with covid plan. Think the last plan lasted a few days at most before going in the bin. How many times are we going to try the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Hospital report is out

1012 in hospital, down from 1100 last night
    175 in ICU, up from 173 last night with one death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

jackboy wrote: »
    Christ almighty. Government working on a revised living with covid plan. Think the last plan lasted a few days at most before going in the bin. How many times are we going to try the same thing.
    Que Leo quoting a superhero film or an Irish poet...

Fire away with your alternatives there lad.

NB, you can't mention New Zealand. Massive false equivalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

Fire away with your alternatives there lad.

NB, you can't mention New Zealand. Massive false equivalence.

Wow. Is there anything else that can’t be mentioned?

Wow. Is there anything else that can’t be mentioned?

I don't think so.

But fantasy island solutions that rely on a set of parameters that don't exist in this country, or that destroy whats left of an already fragile economy, or require resources that don't exist or can't be sourced are just a waste of everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Some probably did, and picked it up through surface contact or some such.

Some are just ashamed.

Rubbish. They were at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

thats why i'm watching man utd v west ham now and first dates( English version) when its over, need an escape at times...

I don’t watch much news or anything these days but I think this is essential viewing.

Rubbish. They were at the airport.

All 110,000 odd cases since the New Year?

They weren't.

Jesus that's a touch watch.

The chaplain is anointing last rites on the patient in one bed and the poor fecker next door in dire straits himself is sitting up praying for his roommate as he passes away.

Its a fckin awful situation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jesus that's a touch watch.

The chaplain is anointing last rites on the patient in one bed and the poor fecker next door in dire straits himself is sitting up praying for his roommate as he passes away.

Its a fckin awful situation.

Yes. That was awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

fits wrote: »

So much wrong with this. No idea why people subject themselves to this then wonder why there're miserable haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement