Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,865 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With cases dropping fast, pressure will grow again for the pubs etc to reopen to liberate us from this boring misery.

Yesterdays single figure deaths seems to have shocked them in to wanting to bring in more restrictions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

With cases dropping fast, pressure will grow again for the pubs etc to reopen to liberate us from this boring misery.

I would previously have been pro lifting restrictions ASAP

After Christmas and what ensued, I think its better to go slow. Thats predicated on seeing control on inbound travel however. Now in a couple of months I'll probably flip flop again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

If you actually read it he says some form of restrictions. As has been discussed here numerous times, "some form of restrictions" can be anything from a cap on the number allowed at large gatherings to being told to wear masks in certain settings.

Either way they'd be classed as some form of restrictions, its not a suggestion of oh well this is how we live for the next god knows how long.

Well he also expects no non-essential travel well into next year.

Whilst in other countries we have this going on: https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/israel-and-greece-planning-to-open-a-travel-corridor-for-vaccinated-travelers/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think we can live with the closure of wet pubs and the playing of sports without spectators on the terraces for the rest of the year, to be honest!

You might think that but there's several clubs at national level I know of in various sports that privately are saying they need some sort of numbers back in grounds especially during the summer, be in 300, 500 whatever. Its the main source of income, streaming etc doesn't get anywhere near gate income, without something like last summer they won't be around much longer. The supports are very poor for sports clubs.

So you might be able to say you can live without it but if you relied on either for your income, 2 years without is a long long time. The supports that are there while welcome just aren't enough

Coybig_ wrote: »

Whilst in other countries we have this going on: https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/israel-and-greece-planning-to-open-a-travel-corridor-for-vaccinated-travelers/

He doesn't know what next week will bring never mind 3 or 4 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Coybig_ wrote: »

Tourism is a huge income generator for alot of southern European countries. Greece is stil trying to recover from the economic hit they took 13 years ago. Tourism is a life line. I expect much of Europe to open in the Summer, we however will still be 'concerned'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

He also says in the article that restrictions will be in place until we have 70/80% vaccinated. Which he says the target for that is September.

There's a potent mix of

1. posters reading what they want to read to further their own agenda

2. the Irish times looking for a headline

3. vradkar doing his soundbites for the sake of soundbites.

Wouldn't take that article as gospel. No one has a clue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

D.Q wrote: »
    I don't know how to say this in text without sounding sarcastic, because it definitely comes across as sarcastic but I'm being sincere.

But if people found some positives or perspective from it then I'm glad. I appreciate where you're coming from on it.

I completely agree that the staff are out of this world good and I have such sympathy for the patients

I think that RTE are beyond cynical though.

It did give me perspective though.

Between family friends and colleagues I'd be close to, I only know of 3 people out of a few hundred who have contracted Covid to date

I don't know anyone who has ended up in hospital or god forbid, died in that circle to date

Thats in Ireland

Globally in work I've five colleagues who got it, one went to hospital durle to being unable to self isolate

Watching a program like that gives me a reason to appreciate why we have restrictions.

I'd love nothing more than to decide tomorrow evening at 6pm to go out for dinner tbh

That program reinforced for me why I should adhere to restrictions.

You can say thats easy for me as I wfh

My partner set up a business last year which went belly up as a result of the pandemic

I was laid off for 8 weeks last year so its not like we have not been affected

I bet every medical worker, patient and family member in that program would gladly swap with me

And as to the staff on that program, I don't know where they have found the strength they have

When this **** ends, they neednto be rewarded

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Seems to me this is becoming a seesaw where there has to be a balance struck between international travel restrictions and domestic restrictions. The stronger your international travel restrictions are, the more scope there is for relaxation of domestic restrictions.

Level 1/Level 0.5 + strict rules on travel into Ireland (+ presumably the UK) would have many content but would still definitely be filed under "some kind of restrictions".

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They identified the strain he contracted?

I don't know. I'm only texting him wishing him the best. I haven't got into it with him, just what he tells me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

D.Q wrote: »
    He also says in the article that restrictions will be in place until we have 70/80% vaccinated. Which he says the target for that is September.

There's a potent mix of

1. posters reading what they want to read to further their own agenda

2. the Irish times looking for a headline

3. vradkar doing his soundbites for the sake of soundbites.

Wouldn't take that article as gospel. No one has a clue.

Then what was the point of it? NPHET give nothing but doom and gloom, the government ditto and most of all the media. At this point they could announce 5 deaths or 500 and I'd just check the football scores, see what's on Netflix or get a classic off the bookshelf that I haven't read for a while. Wake me up when the protests start.

marno21 wrote: »
    Seems to me this is becoming a seesaw where there has to be a balance struck between international travel restrictions and domestic restrictions. The stronger your international travel restrictions are, the more scope there is for relaxation of domestic restrictions.

Level 1/Level 0.5 + strict rules on travel into Ireland (+ presumably the UK) would have many content but would still definitely be filed under "some kind of restrictions".

Agreed

I work for a global company and while we restrict travel, some is necessary

The company pay for all tests pre and post travel including PCR.and antibody tests and for quarantine if.required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

The Leo article is very odd. Suggests on one hand that we have to be careful of mass gatherings next winter, restrictions into 2022 and the threat of a fourth wave, and on the other that we’ll have 70-80% of the population vaccinated by September.

Surely we can open up domestically once we’ve achieved herd immunity through vaccination, especially if the vaccines help stop transmission (as seems to be the case....albeit anecdotally thus far). If there are variants of concern, then quarantining at points of entry to the country would still have to be observed.

As others have said, what other countries do (particularly U.K.) I think will dictate a lot of the policy here after the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Todays confirmed county numbers

09-02-2021-p4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Le Bruise wrote: »
    The Leo article is very odd. Suggests on one hand that we have to be careful of mass gatherings next winter, restrictions into 2022 and the threat of a fourth wave, and on the other that we’ll have 70-80% of the population vaccinated by September.

Surely we can open up domestically once we’ve achieved herd immunity through vaccination, especially if the vaccines help stop transmission (as seems to be the case....albeit anecdotally thus far). If there are variants of concern, then quarantining at points of entry to the country would still have to be observed.

As others have said, what other countries do (particularly U.K.) I think will dictate a lot of the policy here after the summer.

Ridiculously depressing stuff if you're any kind of extrovert, but I'll again say what I said a few weeks ago - people really shouldn't be basing their mental health on the word of a man who literally just a couple of weeks ago told us we'd probably move to level four in March, before literally one week later told us we'd be at level five for the foreseeable future.

They haven't got a clue. What happens will happen but they are very much making it up as they go along. I wouldn't let any doom mongering from any of them get you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

Stheno wrote: »
    It did give me perspective though.

Between family friends and colleagues I'd be close to, I only know of 3 people out of a few hundred who have contracted Covid to date

I don't know anyone who has ended up in hospital or god forbid, died in that circle to date

Thats in Ireland

Globally in work I've five colleagues who got it, one went to hospital durle to being unable to self isolate

Watching a program like that gives me a reason to appreciate why we have restrictions.

I do know a few people who have been badly affected however even still, it is hard to maintain the wariness so I agree it was a good reminder.

I can’t wait until our kids grandparents have had the vaccine. I

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ridiculously depressing stuff if you're any kind of extrovert, but I'll again say what I said a few weeks ago - people really shouldn't be basing their mental health on the word of a man who literally just a couple of weeks ago told us we'd probably move to level four in March, before literally one week later told us we'd be at level five for the foreseeable future.

They haven't got a clue. What happens will happen but they are very much making it up as they go along. I wouldn't let any doom mongering from any of them get you down.
    Nobody does but they will move on construction and schools in March. I don't blame the likes of Leo and other government ministers; they are responding to questions, some of which are inane. We'll get an idea of their thinking when we see the "new" plan in a few weeks.

Hospitals at 1,012 and ICU at 175.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

These variants are going to cause a lot of problems. Chief among them is probably the reopening of schools while the majority of population isn't vaccinated. Of course the S.A one has shown that it impairs the effect of antibodies caused by vaccination or by prior infection. It's in Austria now and similar variant emerging in UK with the E484K mutation which is problematic. The data coming out of Italy and Israel regarding schools is really worrying and Israel is saying it won't go back to in person schooling until wholesaled population vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/bmj_latest/status/1359120766856531973?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »
    Hospitals at 1,012 and ICU at 175.

Seems to be dropping close to 100 a day at the moment. At what stage will it start to slow down ? We should be below the predicted 800 at the end of the week. Nevermind March 5th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

These are the people literally in charge of this, the ones who are actually making the decisions.

Who else should people be listening and reacting to if not them?

Seems to be dropping close to 100 a day at the moment. At what stage will it start to slow down ? We should be below the predicted 800 at the end of the week. Nevermind March 5th
    I suppose that depends on how many went in at particular times and the severity of their cases. Some people have suggested 500 or below by the end of the month. It could be a lot lower but ICU reductions will be a lot slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

is_that_so wrote: »
    I suppose that depends on how many went in at particular times and the severity of their cases. Some people have suggested 500 or below by the end of the month. It could be a lot lower but ICU reductions will be a lot slower.

They really shouldnt mention where they want the numbers to be .

They really shouldn't mention where they want the numbers to be .
    That's not from the HSE, it's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

https://twitter.com/proftomcotter/status/1359432019479060484?s=21

Looks like it’s going to be very tricky to manage the disease this year while vaccinations are ramping up. ( unless disease at very low levels of course)

These variants are going to cause a lot of problems. Chief among them is probably the reopening of schools while the majority of population isn't vaccinated. Of course the S.A one has shown that it impairs the effect of antibodies caused by vaccination or by prior infection. It's in Austria now and similar variant emerging in UK with the E484K mutation which is problematic. The data coming out of Italy and Israel regarding schools is really worrying and Israel is saying it won't go back to in person schooling until wholesaled population vaccinated.

So Israel saw more cases among children and teens in January than any other month throughout the pandemic. Hmm, interesting. I wonder is it anything to do with almost a third of all total cases in Israel occurring January, far in excess of any other months. Most cases in kids in a month with most cases. What a shocker

fits wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/proftomcotter/status/1359432019479060484?s=21

Looks like it’s going to be very tricky to manage the disease this year while vaccinations are ramping up. ( unless disease at very low levels of course)

That's nothing new. It's been said plenty of times you could test positive despite having been vaccinated. The goal of vacincation is to prevent serious illness.

If it limits the impact to the effects of a head cold even if you test postive then that's grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So Isreal saw more cases among children and teens in January than any other monrh throughout the pandemic. Hmm, interesting. I wonder is it anything to do with almost a third of all total cases in Israel occurring January, far in excess of any other months. Most cases in kids in a month with most cases. What a shocker

Don't be so dismissive raid. Would that also account for the increase in the relative proportion of cases in younger age groups. How would you explain that?

Cyrille Cohen, head of the laboratory of Immunotherapy at Israel’s Bar-Ilan University and member of the country’s national covid-19 vaccine clinical trial advisory committee, told The BMJ that his figures indicated that, since the emergence of the UK variant B1.1.7 in Israel in mid-December, the proportion of new daily cases accounted for by children aged under 10 had risen by nearly a quarter (23%).

Also Italy?
    Similar warnings are emerging from Italy after a spike in case in the village of Corzano, in the northern province of Brescia. On 3 February 10% of its total population of 1400 (140) were reported to have tested positive for the virus, 60% of whom were children of primary or infant school age. Many of these children are believed to have infected other family members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

I'm thinking now government will do same as last time

Pretend schools are going to be reopening soon and wait for NPHET to say no

There's going to be more delays now until after vaccination is complete

• Advertisement

Hmob wrote: »
    I'm thinking now government will do same as last time

Pretend schools are going to be reopening soon and wait for NPHET to say no

There's going to be more delays now until after vaccination is complete
    The only issue NPHET had with reopening schools was the soaring numbers of cases. They are in favour of schools being open an if case numbers are low enough they won't object.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement