Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Don't be so dismissive raid. Would that also account for the increase in the relative proportion of cases in younger age groups. How would you explain that?

Also Italy?

Aren't cases reducing massively in higher age groups because Israel has been vaccinating them...? That would skew case proportions towards lower age groups

Swear you spend your day seeking out any shred of bad news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

AdamD wrote: »
    Aren't cases reducing massively in higher age groups because Israel has been vaccinating them...? That would skew case proportions towards lower age groups

And so what if children show positive? They'll still be running around playing while the older population will be vaccinated. So, where's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

polesheep wrote: »
    And so what if children show positive? They'll still be running around playing while the older population will be vaccinated. So, where's the issue?

Its a problem here . Their parents and grandparents wont have been vaccinated yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

What about the 40somethings with asthma and any other number of issues

Its a problem here . Their parents and grandparents wont have been vaccinated yet.

I haven't seen any verified reports of a growth in cases among children here versus the general population. Have you?

• Advertisement

What about the 40somethings with asthma and any other number of issues

Fair enough, I should have said vulnerable and older.

Don't be so dismissive raid. Would that also account for the increase in the relative proportion of cases in younger age groups. How would you explain that?

Also Italy?

Everywhere testing capacity has increased. This has resulting in the detection rate among groups more likely to be mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic being increased. 28% of the total population of Israel is under 14, 50,000 cases in January for Children and teens out 220,000 means that are still significantly underrepresented

Italy reduced restrictions before the end of January with a daily rate 30% higher than our current daily rates. Of course that was going to result in large localised outbreaks. One town however is not representative of a country. In spite of reducing restrictions with a large number of cases in circulation, in the succeeding two weeks, there has not been an increase nationally, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Good point. Nothing to worry about so. Thanks for that. I'll go with the Israeli Association of Paediatrics though. If they are worried maybe you should be too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

So Israel saw more cases among children and teens in January than any other month throughout the pandemic. Hmm, interesting. I wonder is it anything to do with almost a third of all total cases in Israel occurring January, far in excess of any other months. Most cases in kids in a month with most cases. What a shocker

I'd go out on a limb here Christmas/ Hanukkah, and or say the infection rate in children could be due to them not been vaccinated.
    If they are infecting others where they vaccinated.
    Tweets like the one in the op post only show bits of information rather than the whole statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Good point. Nothing to worry about so. Thanks for that. I'll go with the Israeli Association of Paediatrics though. If they are worried maybe you should be too?

Or we could just ease up on the old worry for a bit, it's fairly relentless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

That's nothing new. It's been said plenty of times you could test positive despite having been vaccinated. The goal of vacincation is to prevent serious illness.

If it limits the impact to the effects of a head cold even if you test postive then that's grand

I never said it was anything new but to question how to manage those people in travel and healthcare settings is valid. They could still transmit disease even if they won’t get severe disease themselves.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Or we could just ease up on the old worry for a bit, it's fairly relentless.

Lol, we back to being a positive posts only?

It is a pandemic it is relentless ? Why come on here. Top tip don't read it? There are other threads which might give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Our planning with this virus as been piss poor. Mostly due to our leaders accentuating the positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mate, if I was worried every time you were worried I'd have had an aneurysm by now.

Mate, if I was worried every time you were worried I'd have had an aneurysm by now.

I'm not worried and I'm not your mate. Jog on. The Israeli Association of Paediatrics are worried and Israel is just a little bit ahead in their vaccination program.
    Yuli Edelstein, health minister, told the Jerusalem Post, “We got a letter from the Israeli Association of Paediatrics that says they are very worried about the rate of disease in younger students.” Some experts in Israel said that the rise in child cases was due to the emergence of the more contagious UK variant, which has spread more easily among younger age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

techdiver wrote: »
    For the vaccine to be useful in stopping hospitalisations and serious illness we will probably need all over 60's to be vaccinated.

As much as I want it I can't see then loosening restrictions until that is achieved which looks like June at this rate.
    Everyone else won't be waiting in line though behind the over-70s. Other groups will be moved up such that the 60-69 cohort will be done in parallel, followed by others behind them. By the time the 70+ group are done, the 60+ group should also be done, along with a few other groups lower down the chain.

It is a pandemic it is relentless ? Why come on here. Top tip don't read it? There are other threads which might give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Our planning with this virus as been piss poor. Mostly due to our leaders accentuating the positive.

Here's a little antidote for your gloomy outlook Caveat.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56005488

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah worried, alarmed, concerned! Now, where have we heard those words before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I haven't seen any verified reports of a growth in cases among children here versus the general population. Have you?

Havent gone back to school yet obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Le Bruise wrote: »
    The Leo article is very odd. Suggests on one hand that we have to be careful of mass gatherings next winter, restrictions into 2022 and the threat of a fourth wave, and on the other that we’ll have 70-80% of the population vaccinated by September.

Surely we can open up domestically once we’ve achieved herd immunity through vaccination, especially if the vaccines help stop transmission (as seems to be the case....albeit anecdotally thus far). If there are variants of concern, then quarantining at points of entry to the country would still have to be observed.

As others have said, what other countries do (particularly U.K.) I think will dictate a lot of the policy here after the summer.
    There's a range of scenarios for the rest of the year, ranging from best case (vaccines work and protect against transmission and illness, virus goes away) to worst case (new variants infect vaccinated people and cause widespread severe disease, back to square 1).

Personally I think a problem with the communication from the government is it's all warnings about what might happen in the worst case. There's little emphasis on the most likely case which personally I think is more towards the better end of the spectrum. You have to plan for a worst case, but stop mixing everything together when you're communicating.

We're left with confusing messages like "we're locked down into 2022" even though 70/80% have been vaccinated. I wouldn't blame people for asking what the point is then.

The most likely scenario in my view (currently) is that the vaccines continue to provide good protection against at least severe disease, we might need to give a booster dose to some groups later in the year, highly vulnerable people will need to be careful particularly in Winter, we'll be asked to wear masks in indoor situations for a while yet, we'll have testing at the airports but travel will resume, all inter-Ireland travel restrictions will be lifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

seamus wrote: »
    Everyone else won't be waiting in line though behind the over-70s. Other groups will be moved up such that the 60-69 cohort will be done in parallel, followed by others behind them. By the time the 70+ group are done, the 60+ group should also be done, along with a few other groups lower down the chain.
    Have you a link to this?

hmmm wrote: »
    There's a range of scenarios for the rest of the year, ranging from best case (vaccines work and protect against transmission and illness, virus goes away) to worst case (new variants infect vaccinated people and cause widespread severe disease, back to square 1).

Personally I think a problem with the communication from the government is it's all warnings about what might happen in the worst case. There's little emphasis on the most likely case which personally I think is more towards the better end of the spectrum. You have to plan for a worst case, but stop mixing everything together when you're communicating.

We're left with confusing messages like "we're locked down into 2022" even though 70/80% have been vaccinated. I wouldn't blame people for asking what the point is then.

The most likely scenario in my view (currently) is that the vaccines continue to provide good protection against at least severe disease, we might need to give a booster dose to some groups later in the year, we'll be asked to wear masks in indoor situations for a while yet, we'll have testing at the airports but travel will resume, all inter-Ireland travel restrictions will be lifted.

IMO the possible confusion arises from a number of things. Firstly, they do not want to see any kind of return to these last six weeks and are expressing almost paranoid caution in that respect. Additionally, they seem to be balancing the whole "hope" thing against people getting excited and letting their guard down. By hinting that summer holidays at home may be a runner, it attempts to encourage people to accept these few months for an opportunity later in the year.

Finally, I don't think they want to yo-yo in restrictions so that once we ease off they do not want to go back. TBH, all of this looks like we are aping Britain once again, really not a good thing during this.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Have you a link to this?

We will hardly be leaving the AZ vaccines in a fridge somewhere once healthcare workers are done?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Have you a link to this?
    Check out the HSE briefing tomorrow, at 14.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We will hardly be leaving the AZ vaccines in a fridge somewhere once healthcare workers are done?
    Well, I was just hoping for more detail. If it's AZ, some more data would be especially nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

My dad (in the over 85's group) is getting his first jab next week.

This makes me very happy indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Am I the only one that, although it would be wrong to think it, would feel just a tad hard done by if I got the AZ vaccine and heard my mates got Pfizer/Moderna? :)

(Don't bother with the "yes" answer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d take any of them but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

I think a lot of us will have the J&J one and based on what we know to date I’d be happy enough with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No change there since the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I just find it amazing how often the goalposts shift on this thing. Nothing surprises me anymore.

The most crushing one is obviously building up the vaccines for months as the thing that we needed to wait for to make this end. And now we know that was a lie.

Seriously, if you were 50/50 on a vaccine at the moment, why would you bother to take one. It wont make a difference to your life returning to normal, which I imagine was a huge motivator for many not at risk from Covid.

I also wonder about the travel restrictions - the UK is racing through its vaccination program yet is only now bringing in quarantine for travellers, 1 year in. That says they expect this to be around for a while yet. Which it will, as an endemic virus. But variants will constantly occur. In theory these borders could effectively be closed for years, with the proviso of 'the variants'.

They repeatedly talk about seasonality, but only in the context of harsher restrictions at winter. Never in the context of likely having similar caseload to last summer, and without the vulnerable at risk from death.

I just cannot understand how the most hopeless part of this pandemic is the part after the vaccine rollout has started to happen. That is incredible to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement