Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this is a good one, randomised study, might need a second one for confirmation

https://twitter.com/AndreasShrugged/status/1359458583491072004

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

did anyone see that video going around watsapp of Leo talking about cases?!

"one thing we always did in Ireland was count cases in care home, from day 1" - but didnt explain this to the public, 'we have 500 cases today, of which 400 were nrusing homes' for example.
    "we counted suspected cases, even when there wasnt a laboratory test confirming"
    "if somebody was in a nursing home, had stage 4 cancer, and was suspected of having covid, but didnt test positive for it, we counted that"

if this is real its absolutely madness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The decrease is definitely slowing unfortunately. Still happening but not sure we'll be sub 500 at this rate by month end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

silverharp wrote: »

Interesting. I remember seeing some studies a while back which suggested Asthmatics weren't as susceptible to Covid compared to others. If the above turns out to be true, then that would make sense as most Asthmatics would use at least on type of an inhaler on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The possible story of B.1.1.7 -just one person may have cooked it up inside of them. The article also mentions that 360,000 different genomes have been sequenced.
    The number of mutations in the UK variant took scientists by surprise. Now they think its origins may lie in one person, chronically infected with the virus

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/chronic-infection-uk-coronavirus-variant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Restrictions will remain in place as long as the collateral damage is acceptable to the politicians and public at large.

I dont know why its assumed that loosening restrictions too soon would cause less collateral damage after more than 1,000 people died in January and more cases then than all of 2020.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

Nice, but i'm sceptical, it came up months ago and was never picked up, will be the same again imo, only way forward is vaccine's it seems, prevention vs fire fighting.

A nurse treats a patient in the COVID-19 ICU at United Memorial Medical Center in Houston on June 29, 2020. Richard Bartlett, a Texas doctor, touts a 100% survival rate for his COVID-19 patients given inhaled budesonide. Emergency department physician Carolyn Barber evaluates his claims

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well I have an old nebuliser and an out of date supply of that.

Asthma medicines help respiratory syndrome shocker.

As a non medical person I assumed that this would have been tried and accepted or rejected as a treatment back in April.

I had asthma symptoms for years and if I suffered anything respiratory I was supposed to double my steroid intake for a week. Anything respiratory includes flu or colds.

latency89 wrote: »
    Nice, but i'm sceptical, it came up months ago and was never picked up, will be the same again imo, only way forward is vaccine's it seems, prevention vs fire fighting.
    That Texas example is not a trial, my patients got better is not a good evaluation. This one may well be applied as we are already using dexamethasone treatments anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Eod100 wrote: »
    I dont know why its assumed that loosening restrictions too soon would cause less collateral damage after more than 1,000 people died in January and more cases then than all of 2020.

By summer the number of deaths and hospitalisations will implode because the vulnerable are vaccinated and we won't need restrictions to prevent it, at most level 2 restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The S.A variant cluster in Austria is growing. They've now introduced the requirement of a negative test to even leave the province. They were fairly lax as it's a ski destination in the first wave. Some Irish got caught and fined there skiing recently. 11 days ago actually :eek:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/irish-among-those-in-breach-of-lockdown-rules-at-austrian-ski-resort-1.4472198

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/austria-restrict-movement-tyrol-variant-fears-75777121
    VIENNA -- Austria's leader said Tuesday that people will have to produce a negative coronavirus test to leave the country's Tyrol province as authorities try to prevent the spread of a coronavirus variant first discovered in South Africa.

Some 293 cases of the more contagious variant have been confirmed in Tyrol. More than 120 of those cases are currently active, Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said. Concentrated in the Schwaz district, east of Innsbruck, they represent the biggest known current outbreak of the variant in the European Union, authorities said.

The chancellor pointed to preliminary results from a small study that showed the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, one of the three vaccines cleared for use in the EU, was only minimally effective against mild to moderate cases of COVID-19 caused by the South African variant.

That is a big problem because nearly 50% of the vaccine we will have delivered by the summer comes from AstraZeneca,” Kurz said. “So...we must do everything to prevent the spread of this variant, and if that doesn't succeed, at least to slow its spread.”

Well I have an old nebuliser and an out of date supply of that.

Asthma medicines help respiratory syndrome shocker.

As a non medical person I assumed that this would have been tried and accepted or rejected as a treatment back in April.
    Most of claims about drug treatments came out of the US, with desperate doctors making use of their own patients. That kind of thing is never going to fly as a recommended treatment without trials.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

copeyhagen wrote: »

"one thing we always did in Ireland was count cases in care home, from day 1" - but didnt explain this to the public, 'we have 500 cases today, of which 400 were nrusing homes' for example.
    "we counted suspected cases, even when there wasnt a laboratory test confirming"
    "if somebody was in a nursing home, had stage 4 cancer, and was suspected of having covid, but didnt test positive for it, we counted that"

Yes it is true. We have counted deaths where people were suspected to have covid for a long time now. I remember the CMO talking about it at one of the press conferences. I think it was during the summer. This was due to ECDC changing the criteria for notifying deaths to included suspected cases. Other countries are doing the same as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes looks like well above 1,000 cases tonight and maybe 1300.

So low yesterday there must have been a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Yes it is true. We have counted deaths where people were suspected to have covid for a long time now. I remember the CMO talking about it at one of the press conferences. I think it was during the summer. This was due to ECDC changing the criteria for notifying deaths to included suspected cases. Other countries are doing the same as well.

cheers, did you see the video in question, after each of those statements, he follows it up with "other countries weren't doing that"

like hes proud that they padded their figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The HSE distrubited 50,000 crack pipes in Galway and 3 other counties in the last 5 years.....At least the HSE are spending their money wisely...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why would they need trials for drugs that have been used for years and are safe?

Can doctors not be, well doctors of old and prescribe a treatment and use initiative?

Do we need a trial for everything now?

You can't prescribe something that's not approved for use, I don't know how this is even a question really. Yes you need a trial to prove something works

Why would they need trials for drugs that have been used for years and are sfe?

Can doctors not be, well doctors of old and prescribe a treatment?

Do we need a trial for everything now?
    To repurpose drugs you do - to make sure that they work as you want and do not cause harm. Remember Hydroxychloroquine? Doctors of old killed people through their own ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Is it time to shake nphet up.

surely time for tony h to hand over the reigns.

he might appreciate the pain of staying at home on your own for weeks on end on a few Bob a week.

Please enlighten us on who you think would make a better chief medical officer than Dr Tony Holihan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cheers, did you see the video in question, after each of those statements, he follows it up with "other countries weren't doing that"

like hes proud that they padded their figures.

It isn't done to pad figures. It is done to stop under counting due to low amounts of testing. It was known that it would lead to over counting but then again even if we didn't report suspected cases in our figures we would still have over counting of deaths as some of the people who are marked as covid deaths, even with a positive test, would have died any way. Data is a lot more complicated than just one number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sconsey wrote: »
    Please enlighten us on who you think would make a better chief medical officer than Dr Tony Holihan.

I have to say I thought Ronan glynn did a great job when TH was away . People relate to him and he is calm and reassuring and straightforward

Our doctor gave my wife azithromycin for covid 19 treatment, should he be struck off?
    It is actually used for chest infections, so why?

Doctors do that all the time here, I had an ear infection once and got hydrocortisone cream for it, which is for skin conditions, not approved for infection use?

Doctor in Adare gives Hydroxychloroquine to his patients and he's practising, it's not illegal.
    Choosing a treatment for their own patients doesn't make it a standard recommended treatment for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Choosing a treatment for their own patients doesn't make it a standard recommended treatment for all.

Especially when it's been found to do basically nothing so won't be recommended for use with covid patients

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antibiotics-study-idUSKBN29U1WV

I don't know

She was sick from Covid, it worked, like budesonide does.

The doctor gave her an anti biotic in case of any secondary infection she got from being ill with Covid
    Budononiside is a steroid , Azithromycin is an anti biotic . They are two completely different drugs

I never said they were the same, if budononiside is safe, what's the harm?

You said Azithromycin works like budoniside . It doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

OwenM wrote: »
    By summer the number of deaths and hospitalisations will implode because the vulnerable are vaccinated and we won't need restrictions to prevent it, at most level 2 restrictions.

Say it could go to 3 by end of May or start of June if over 70s are vaccinated alright. Just wouldn't expect any significant loosening until then.

Never said that

It helps you beat covid, said that

I'm just happy we still have decent doctors out there that use the head and don't need a trial to prevent a death like you guys

You guys ???? What are you on about ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I never said they were the same, if budononiside is safe, what's the harm?

Whatever your qualifications in this area (if any), do not make claims over the safety of any drugs on this site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

We do this for deaths only, not for cases.

They later get reclassified if determined they didn't have Covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement