Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Schools could begin to be opened again from 15 February....if everything else is closed it will be a good test case as to how much they impact community infection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Schools could begin to be opened again from 15 February....if everything else is closed it will be a good test case as to how much they impact community infection

It will be 22nd before they are back from holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

Ok so international travel isn't to blame so we should do nothing about that according to Leo in the briefing now.

He is a shill. I actually hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

big syke wrote: »
    Are you for real? It was 9% last week.

So is it negative news then???
    Educate yourself on the purpose and use of the exclamation mark and reflect on what the reader intended! This post is a SOHF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Pubs will be open in no time!

Would love to head for a pint with friends, but rather kids back at school even though my youngest is 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

OwenM wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks 'ZeroCovid' is a rational approach needs their head examined, but I would share your concern about influence from ministerial lackeys like this, it's censorship and suppression of free speech and that is a dark path.

It's a good idea if we cant get vaccines fast enough to open stuff up without new lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    Ok so international travel isn't to blame so we should do nothing about that according to Leo in the briefing now.

We are doing something about it????

OwenM wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks 'ZeroCovid' is a rational approach needs their head examined.

Because rolling lockdowns are great craic?

Zero Covid is the only rational response. It is difficult and requires interventions that would normally only be seen in war time, but what has prevented it is collective hubris across Europe and an unwillingness to put the work in. Europe has gone soft in the last 60 years.

"Living with the virus" is the irrational response, proven as each time we've tried, we have failed, and it was back to lockdown.

We are doing something about it????
    Only people without a negative PCR test are going to be quarantined. Flights won't let you travel without a negative PCR test so it's akin to doing nothing.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Zero COVID is not practical as you can't put a time limit on it. A matter of months could be 2 or 6 months. You can't sell that to the public.

Living with Covid has proven to be impractical. Best time to vaccinate a population would also be during a zero covid period.

• Advertisement

In comparison with household spread he is right - that old personal behaviours problem catches people every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Interesting to see the UK today.

Our highest daily swab was around 6,888 now 953. Roughly 14% of peak.

UK peaked around 70,000 cases. 22195 yesterday. 31% of peak.

Not making a competition out of it but we're doing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

1680 last Tuesday 9%

Surely with numbers dropping like that we should be looking at opening up a lot more before April..
    We could be at very small numbers by March and still be in level 5 .. what ever about people sticking to restrictions when numbers are higher it will very hard to convince people when numbers are around 100 a day come end of February

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

D.Q wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to mute the term entirely. Have it muted on twitter but can't do it here haha it's such a frustrating, pointless pursuit.

Muting stuff on twitter amplifies the echo chamber effect, much as I am tempted I don't do it because you only hear what you want to hear and not what is actually going on.

Supporters of a recently departed foreign leader might have suffered with this.

is_that_so wrote: »
    In comparison with household spread he is right - that old personal behaviours problem catches people every time.
    Yeah personal behaviours like flying in from hotspots with different variants to add those complications into the mix.

Until we plug that hole we're leaving ourselves open to be fucked again and again by different strains.

It's almost like they just want this to go on and on and on. They probably do. I've never paid more attention to these stupid bastards in my life, everything they say now has a direct and massive impact on my ability to leave the house. Cunts.

Living with Covid has proven to be impractical. Best time to vaccinate a population would also be during a zero covid period.
    You can't actually put a timeframe on Zero COVID but we do know we can deal with 100-200 cases a day. That's likely achievable by March and it's only a month away.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

If we adopted a zero covid policy in Ireland, about every month or so, you would find cases and you would be doing local lock downs such as Kildare, Laois, Offaly last August.

It would be a little bit like walking on eggshells. You could really plan anything as you would most likely have outbreaks due to the proximity of the UK and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

gmisk wrote: »
    Personal trainer.

It's what the young folks call someone who works in a gym seemingly :)

My uncle is a DF (Dairy farmer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

gctest50 wrote: »
    Cats.

Tiddles is plotting yer downfall

"Those cats that were infected in the experiment?” Bosco-Lauth says to the New York Times. “You would never have known.” "

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-study-finds-dogs-dont-spread-covid-19-cats-can-pass-it-each-other-180975963/

hisssshhhh..Miaooowh.. wait until I get my claws into those researchers.

Using cats and dogs in experiments and then killing them... all for an outcome we have known for months already from previous research. No cases of cat to human transmission but an awful lot of human to human! I will repeat

No documented cases of cat to human transmission! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

It's actually incredible. I'm wondering at this stage if he has shares in Ryanair or something like that. Baffling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

seamus wrote: »
    NPHET have been calling for tighter controls on inbound travel since last April.

There's a large element of being seen to be doing something with these new measures. The hope that people might be willing to swalllow another four weeks of level 5 if the Government promise to do something about travel.

By the time a mandatory quarantine is actually stood up and operating, we'll be back down to 300 cases.

It is politics now.

Yeah personal behaviours like flying in from hotspots with different variants to add those complications into the mix.

Until we plug that hole we're leaving ourselves open to be fucked again and again by different strains.

It's almost like they just want this to go on and on and on. They probably do. I've never paid more attention to these stupid bastards in my life, everything they say now has a direct and massive impact on my ability to leave the house. Cunts.
    No, personal behaviour like not observing self-isolation protocols. The flying in is not the cause of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Compared to yesterday 133 less swabs from 1636 more tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It will be 22nd before they are back from holidays

The school holidays should be happening right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

[QUOTE=Sleety_Rain;116057531]Schools could begin to be opened again from 15 February....if everything else is closed it will be a good test case as to how much they impact community infection[/QUOTE]

Nope. Mid term break is week starting 15th Feb. Anyway I doubt that any regular schools will reopen until after St Patrick`s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Because rolling lockdowns are great craic?

Zero Covid is the only rational response. It is difficult and requires interventions that would normally only be seen in war time, but what has prevented it is collective hubris across Europe and an unwillingness to put the work in. Europe has gone soft in the last 60 years.

"Living with the virus" is the irrational response, proven as each time we've tried, we have failed, and it was back to lockdown.

We have not tried lockdown with simulaneous vaccinations. A far more rational response than zero covid which could take another 6 months of heavy lockdowns. A lockdown until April with vaccinations ongoing would likely be the final one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

polesheep wrote: »
    The school holidays should be happening right now.

Yep, and could bring forward the Easter holidays also. Would minimise the school time lost, which everyone should be in favour of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Arduach wrote: »
    Interesting to see the UK today.

Our highest daily swab was around 6,888 now 953. Roughly 14% of peak.

UK peaked around 70,000 cases. 22195 yesterday. 31% of peak.

Not making a competition out of it but we're doing better.

UK 20,089 cases today, about 29% of peak while we're at 14% of peak cases today.

1,600 deaths...past 100,000.. Very sad number of deaths.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement