Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Amirani wrote: »
    Does 40% sound high? Would 0% be better and everyone who died was a non-vulnerable person?

Talking about relative numbers in something like this is a bit flawed. You could have 1 total nursing home death and 0 in the rest of the population and you have 100% of deaths in nursing homes, but I don't think that would be a bad result.

A better comparative against other countries might be the % of total nursing home population that has died of Covid.

Didn't say anything about it being better, I would have thought anyone would objectively say the proportion of care home deaths (40%) was high considering people in residential care settings make up about 1% of the country's population. Even though they are far more likely to die of COVID obviously, not only that but that community faces dispropoprtionately high levels of infection on top of that due to how quickly COVID spreads inside high density population settings, so they are very disproprtionately affected for two reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Didn't say anything about it being better, I would have thought anyone would objectively say the proportion of care home deaths (40%) was high considering people in residential care settings make up about 1% of the country's population. Even though they are far more likely to die of COVID obviously, not only that but that community faces dispropoprtionately high levels of infection on top of that due to how quickly COVID spreads inside high density population settings, so they are very disproprtionately affected for two reasons.

But more than 1% of deaths of any cause at any time are from care homes. It would be very odd if 1% of deaths in a given year came from care homes.

It would be unreasonable to expect that the death rates in care homes from Covid are proportional to the number of people there any more than to expect the death rates from heart failure or flu or cancer in care homes to be proportional. If a more proportional outcome was equitable, it would mean more kids dying from Covid than people in care homes, but I think most people would agree that that's a desirable outcome.

I'm not implying you're necessarily making this argument or whether they're better or not. I think a lot of the numbers that get bandied about in the media are overly simplistic though - i.e. "50% of deaths are in care homes, this is unacceptable", when it's just a relative metric with no nuance. What needs to be focused on is reducing absolute numbers, rather than commentators focusing on a number that can be improved by letting loads of young people die from Covid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

1006 cases
    54 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

54 deaths

1,006 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Eod100 wrote: »
    Say it could go to 3 by end of May or start of June if over 70s are vaccinated alright. Just wouldn't expect any significant loosening until then.

Would hope a bit quicker than that p. I’d say a month between Washington levels so level 3 mid April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Where are the missing cases going ?

Hope it's not anther spreadsheet issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

7 day averages in cases the last 5 Wednesdays

Today - 944
    3/2 - 1191
    27/1 - 1700
    20/1 - 2891
    13/1 - 5440

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

jhegarty wrote: »

When is the next restrictions announcement due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

polesheep wrote: »
    When is the next restrictions announcement due?
    Review in the next week or so I believe but March 5 is the day for changes, two we know of.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Review in the next week or so I believe but March 5 is the day for changes, two we know of.

So will we see those missing cases in the next week or so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

jhegarty wrote: »

That was Public Health England.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

7 day averages in cases the last 5 Wednesdays

Today - 944
    3/2 - 1191
    27/1 - 1700
    20/1 - 2891
    13/1 - 5440

This in spite of testing all close contact now. We will see a good reduction in 1 to 2 weeks or so. Contact tracing will break more chains of transmission. Important to remember we were in a mitigation phase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So will we see those missing cases in the next week or so?
    I'm not talking about cases - government. That weird and wonderful backlog keeps people guessing on cases! 5,7, and 14 day totals are far more stable and useful.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'm not talking about cases - government. That weird and wonderful backlog keeps people guessing on cases! 5,7, and 14 day totals are far more stable and useful.

Absolutely, but I can't help being cynical about the mysterious backlog and how it tends to turn up when restrictions are being touted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

wadacrack wrote: »
    This in spite of testing all close contact now. We will see a good reduction in 1 to 2 weeks or so. Contact tracing will break more chains of transmission. Important to remember we were in a mitigation phase
    Yes we in the containment stage now.

From Prof Nolan last week.

Screenshot-20210204-184833-2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

These are the people literally in charge of this, the ones who are actually making the decisions.

Who else should people be listening and reacting to if not them?

Honestly my opinion is people shouldn't be reacting to anyone. Just take this as it comes. It's incredibly difficult but honestly the flip flopping projections, pronouncements and predictions are far, far more damaging to one's mental health in my opinion.

Maybe that's just me. But being told we might have festivals back by September only to be told two weeks later that we probably won't even have nights out back by Christmas, by the same person, is utterly soul destroying. I find myself wishing that I hadn't read either comment and I highly doubt I'm the only one. Point being, it could easily flip flop again as these people just have no idea what's coming down the line and are trying to react in real time to a rapidly changing situation.

Ergo, I stand by what I said. Leo & co haven't a clue what's going to happen in a few weeks, let alone by the end of the summer. People should try not to allow their flip flopping from hope to doom and back again to wreak havoc on their mental health. My advice is to switch off for a bit and check back in later once a clearer picture has emerged.

Honestly my opinion is people shouldn't be reacting to anyone. Just take this as it comes. It's incredibly difficult but honestly the flip flopping projections, pronouncements and predictions are far, far more damaging to one's mental health in my opinion.

Maybe that's just me. But being told we might have festivals back by September only to be told two weeks later that we probably won't even have nights out back by Christmas, by the same person, is utterly soul destroying. I find myself wishing that I hadn't read either comment and I highly doubt I'm the only one. Point being, it could easily flip flop again as these people just have no idea what's coming down the line and are trying to react in real time to a rapidly changing situation.

Ergo, I stand by what I said. Leo & co haven't a clue what's going to happen in a few weeks, let alone by the end of the summer. People should try not to allow their flip flopping from hope to doom and back again to wreak havoc on their mental health. My advice is to switch off for a bit and check back in later once a clearer picture has emerged.

You have just put a day's worth of posts on this subject in a nutshell. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's clear now compliance is dropping fast. Barbers and hairdressers are doing house calls, sun bed places open by the back door, gyms busy and house parties still happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's clear now compliance is dropping fast. Barbers and hairdressers are doing house calls, sun bed places open by the back door, gyms busy and house parties still happening.

Clear how? By the consistent reduction in numbers of new cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

tigger123 wrote: »

A lot of people seemingly no longer care about covid cases.

• Advertisement

I can't speak about the rest of the list, but I know two hairdressers that are flat out... And I only know two hairdressers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I can't speak about the rest of the list, but I know two hairdressers that are flat out... And I only know two hairdressers.

Funnily enough I know 4 and none of them are working at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

like to see this 1000 mark disappear.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Why do you so often come back with this type of response? It isn't a competition. The nation isn't going to decide that hairdressers are or are not working on the basis of what's posted on boards. It's bizarre how some people posting on here believe that their lost actually influences what the populace thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

iamwhoiam wrote: »

I know of a hairdresser who is doing nothing due to the lockdown, I know of a young lad (friend of my son )who is flat out cutting hair.
    Majority following restrictions many with no choice but to try and make money pup doesn't cover all the bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

13% of the country are over 65. Who the f**k are these vaccines going to? Are they being hoarded for HSE employees?

My auntie has had both jabs, she works in Admin ffs. A friends missus has had both jabs and she is on maternity leave, not due back until the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I live in a place where everything is open. Guess what? There is a consistent reduction in the number of new cases too, for weeks now. So in ireland its the restrictions that are responsible but in all the places around the world without them and falling cases its...?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Stheno wrote: »

Can anybody remember the date for over 70's that was given at the start of the year?

I think it was end of March. So It's gone to April.......May........and now June.
    It won't be long till we see a date in August mentioned. :mad:

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Why do you so often come back with this type of response? It isn't a competition. The nation isn't going to decide that hairdressers are or are not working on the basis of what's posted on boards. It's bizarre how some people posting on here believe that their lost actually influences what the populace thinks.

I answered your post that you knew two hairdressers that were working . Is it not allowed to post my experience ? Or is it just yours that is important ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement