Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's likely flights will be cancelled altogether for the next few months.

A disastrously miserable period for so many people.

They've stopped issuing any new passports or renewals until travel restrictions have been lifted and we move to Level 4.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Not as long as Moany Hologram, Ronan Glum, and Professor Bore-an, are in charge.

Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

titan18 wrote: »
    Like even Germany who are coming across as very cautious when extending their lockdown said some things can reopen 1st March like hairdressers. Our government are just cowards in comparison. We'll be the slowest again to reopen most likely.
    Of course we will and that's simply because our population cannot be trusted to not act like bullocks let out of the shed after winter. Remember what happened for the few weeks around our meaningful Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Of course we will and that's simply because our population cannot be trusted to not act like bullocks let out of the shed after winter. Remember what happened for the few weeks around our meaningful Christmas?

And the longer you keep people locked up the more they will act like bullocks as you call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Would it have anything to do with a six week lockdown prior to the busiest period of the year both socially/consumerism and prior to opening things up people were told they would be locked down again in January.
    It was almost like Christmas was set up to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭prunudo

Stheno wrote: »

I don't get why she describes it as very concerning. The fact they are required to have a negative test to fly means they have a far less risk of spreading than the virus than the majority of everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

IHCA VP

-patients are coming in asymptomatic and spreading the virus round in the hospital setting to patients and staff

-Uk variant is much worse and more transmissible

Hard to know what to say about the first one at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

prunudo wrote: »
    I don't get why she describes it as very concerning. The fact they are required to have a negative test to fly means they have a far less risk of spreading than the virus than the majority of everyone else.

Because it helps them to distract from the crazy spread in hospitals and nursing homes. And Saint Tony saying well if theres community transmission then hurr durr, nothing we can do about hospitals and nursing homes. Nope, absolutely nothing at all.

Now, back to the flights and the college students and the GAA. The real enemies. But remember, nobody is at fault for catching the virus, and we need to stop turning on each other! But remember who is at fault.

The government in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You make a great point, why do bullocks act like this after winter. Its because they are locked up for so long, the same way we were locked up for the longest in Europe. So I'm guessing your saying having such long lockdowns is contributing to such large surges.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hmob wrote: »
    IHCA VP

-patients are coming in asymptomatic and spreading the virus round in the hospital setting to patients and staff

-Uk variant is much worse and more transmissible

Hard to know what to say about the first one at this stage

First one is sadly true. StandardHospital ward are extremely difficult to contain something this infectious. Patients move around. Share Bathrooms. Some may not be fully compliant with infection prevention measures. Some may be unable to wear masks. There will be times when they simply can't wear masks. There will be times where patients will be unaware of the measures they need to take. Staff will make mistakes too.

Second one also appears true transmission wise. Not sure about disease severity though that's maybe down to just a much higher incidence of infection. The increased mortality estimates from the UK was based on only 7% of cases. Too early to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE report

990 in hospital, down from 1012 last night.

167 in ICU, down from 175. Unfortunately 9 ICU deaths from 8am yesterday to 8am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

niallo27 wrote: »
    You make a great point, why do bullocks act like this after winter. Its because they are locked up for so long, the same way we were locked up for the longest in Europe. So I'm guessing your saying having such long lockdowns is contributing to such large surges.

I suppose asking Irish people to not act like animals is too much tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not as long as Moany Hologram, Ronan Glum, and Professor Bore-an, are in charge.

:rolleyes:

How original! Did you make them up yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

HSE report

990 in hospital, down from 1012 last night.

167 in ICU, down from 175. Unfortunately 9 ICU deaths from 8am yesterday to 8am this morning

RIP

Great to see the hospitalisation figures keeping decreasing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's worth noting that most Mediterranean countries have already re-opened to some extent.

In fact, some countries never had to close at all to any significant degree. Apart from limited public groups, wearing masks, and bars closed - that's it. Life remains the same. People can still go to restaurants that act as bars to some degree. Hairdressers never closed etc.

Imagine anything close to that in Ireland? Not a chance.

Holohan, Glynn and the Celebrity Experts are going absolutely nowhere. People seem to think that they are personally infallible based purely on the fact that they got 600 point on their leaving cert. These people are amongst the nations most famous people now. They ain't walking away from the limelight. The endorphins they get from being the centre of attention will keep them needing to be relevant.

Just because you are involved in the medical/Biological industry, it doesn't mean you don't get endorphins from being "The Man".

I suppose asking Irish people to not act like animals is too much tbf.

I assume when the travel restrictions are lifted you will be leaving since the populace here disappoints you so much. Which corner of the globe will be lucky have you as a permanent resident may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    RIP

Great to see the hospitalisation figures keeping decreasing

That and vaccinations for HCPs - we are turning a corner on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I assume when the travel restrictions are lifted you will be leaving since the populace here disappoints you so much. Which corner of the globe will be lucky have you as a permanent resident may I ask?

Not poster in question but I'm giving serious consideration to it.

I don't think the Irish public are the problem but the Irish government are completely insufferable. I can't stand watching Martin and vradkar. They aren't leaders.

I'm 31, no housing prospects, no social life currently, no dating, no nothing. Just lockdown, and working from home.

At least in a different country there would be more sun and I wouldn't understand what the cuunting government are saying until I learn the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

D.Q wrote: »

I don't think the Irish public are the problem but the Irish government are completely insufferable. I can't stand watching Martin and vradkar. They aren't leaders.

I'm 31, no housing prospects, no social life currently, no dating, no nothing. Just lockdown, and working from home.

At least in a different country there would be more sun and I wouldn't understand what the cuunting government are saying until I learn the language.

Have a house, have a job, have a partner. Yet now feel like you do. Lived abroad for 8 years and think the next move will be for good.

Go somewhere and don’t look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Holy crap, you're me. I'm even 31 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Like even Germany who are coming across as very cautious when extending their lockdown said some things can reopen 1st March like hairdressers. Our government are just cowards in comparison. We'll be the slowest again to reopen most likely.

The reason why we have to be more cautious than other countries is our health service is a shambles. Hard to believe some people haven't grasped this after almost a year.

Having said that, it's not like Germany is steaming ahead of us, in loosening restrictions.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/germany-extends-coronavirus-lockdown-until-march-7-loosens-some-rules

The government is quite clever tbh, they have covered their failings by turning the populace on each other. The language and vitriol on threads such as this shows how clever the politicians are. Everything gets blamed for the rise in cases except where government has responsibility.
    I'm not in my 30's any more but I would examine my future options if I were.
    Things in this country are not going to be fun for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That’s a concern of mine. That’s all life has been, and will be for a long time.

Where is the motivation to continue the slog?

It’s not like the next few years will be a pleasant time in this country, so isn’t it better to suffer in the sun!

Has that fcuking irritating YOLO saying ever been more relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wombatman wrote: »
    The reason why we have to be more cautious than other countries is our health service is a shambles. Hard to believe some people haven't grasped this after almost a year.

Having said that, it's not like Germany is steaming ahead of us, in loosening restrictions.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/germany-extends-coronavirus-lockdown-until-march-7-loosens-some-rules

Tbf that's still way looser than where we'll be come March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

He expressed concern at the impact of the UK variant saying that close contacts had a positivity rate of 22.5 per cent, over twice the positivity rate of 10-11 per cent of the original virus.

Positivity rate for close contacts sounds very high - it's definitely important to keep testing them.

"He" is MM being quoted in this article: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/prolonged-period-of-lockdown-ahead-taoiseach-tells-party-meeting-1.4481548

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

The government is quite clever tbh, they have covered their failings by turning the populace on each other. The language and vitriol on threads such as this shows how clever the politicians are. Everything gets blamed for the rise in cases except where government has responsibility.

Maybe ya

BJ is doing the same , distraction, false flags you name it

That's their game , a pandemic is not going to change them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Level 5 until May.

LOL.

This government really are a dispicable shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Holy crap, you're me. I'm even 31 too.

You might be able to afford a yurt, I hear Mongolia is nice this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

No one is turning on anyone else, would youse schtap

You have the same clowns repeating the same things over and over

There's an echo in here

• Advertisement

No one is turning on anyone else, would youse schtap

You have the same clowns repeating the same things over and over

There's an echo in here
    Did you not hear the two pensioners on Joe Duffy last week. The abuse they got for having the audacity to escape the misery in Ireland. Disgusting yet not one word of government or HSE failings. The most vulnerable in nursing homes thrown to the mercy of the virus, who's fault was it ......the young ones having a takeaway pint I tell ya.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement