Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Wombatman wrote: »
    The reason why we have to be more cautious than other countries is our health service is a shambles. Hard to believe some people haven't grasped this after almost a year.

Having said that, it's not like Germany is steaming ahead of us, in loosening restrictions.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/germany-extends-coronavirus-lockdown-until-march-7-loosens-some-rules

Having more capacity only buys you a few extra weeks, isn’t that what we’re always told whenever anyone questions why we haven’t increased ours much?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Level 5 until May.

LOL.

This government really are a dispicable shower..

Level 5 till May?

Jesus that's hard to take

I was thinking travel in County and non essential retail before then

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Having more capacity only buys you a few extra weeks, isn’t that what we’re always told whenever anyone questions why we haven’t increased ours much?

What of the 70k medical professionals who came back to Ireland and were never hired?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Polar101 wrote: »
    Positivity rate for close contacts sounds very high - it's definitely important to keep testing them.

"He" is MM being quoted in this article: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/prolonged-period-of-lockdown-ahead-taoiseach-tells-party-meeting-1.4481548

Of course they do when they weren't being officially tested. There's always a bump in the rate at the start, don't know how they've not copped onto it or point blank refuse to acknowledge it because its been mentioned enough times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Stheno wrote: »
    Level 5 till May?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/prolonged-period-of-lockdown-ahead-taoiseach-tells-party-meeting-1.4481548

He told told colleagues a “prolonged period” of suppression was required. A senior Government source said the new ‘Living with Covid’ plan, and the planned changes to commence on March 5th, would not result in any easing of Level 5 restrictions restrictions, save in the key sectors of education and construction.

Conversely, said the source, the Level 5 restrictions will be tightened in many cases.

“We are in a phase of indefinite lockdown,” said the source. “The restrictions will continue right into April and possibly to the beginning of May.
    “There will be zero wriggle room for anyone looking for relaxing of restrictions,” he said.

• Advertisement

Level 5 till May?

Except its full of the usual caveats, may happen, gov source giving their view etc. FG sources brief the opposite, its all politics, none of them know what next month looks like never mind April/May.

Good luck to them getting it if / when cases are very low & we're still well on track in terms of reducing case numbers. Sure the departments of finance and public expenditure are even flagging up the cost of this and that it can't keep up at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What of the 70k medical professionals who came back to Ireland and were never hired?

The HSE hired just under 10% of the 73,000 who answered the call. Many returned from overseas only to have to up and leave again considering the welcome laid on by RTE in Dublin airport I doubt they will come back again anytime soon.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/prolonged-period-of-lockdown-ahead-taoiseach-tells-party-meeting-1.4481548

He told told colleagues a “prolonged period” of suppression was required. A senior Government source said the new ‘Living with Covid’ plan, and the planned changes to commence on March 5th, would not result in any easing of Level 5 restrictions restrictions, save in the key sectors of education and construction.

Conversely, said the source, the Level 5 restrictions will be tightened in many cases.

“We are in a phase of indefinite lockdown,” said the source. “The restrictions will continue right into April and possibly to the beginning of May.
    “There will be zero wriggle room for anyone looking for relaxing of restrictions,” he said.

Yeh, I’m done here. Bringing forward a planned flight to Valencia, where I’ll be staying a few weeks, and then I’ll be going to London for the rest of the year. Not staying around in Ireland to be locked down for months while the UK and the rest of Europe opens up. There is no clue here about a living with COVID plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

mcburns07 wrote: »

Not sure does increasing capacity change much tbh

They still get overwhelmed if we relaxed as a consequence

Don't think there's any focus there atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

You know things are bad when FF are locking out their property developer mates. They havent a ****ing clue how to handle this.

I honestly think our best bet at this stage is going to be buying vaccines from the Brits.

FF to led us into national humiliation for the second time in 11 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

There is no reason to put any faith in the dates they suggest for relaxing restrictions. They will probably extend level 5 for many, many months beyond May. 2021 will be a total lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Good luck to them getting it if / when cases are very low

Why would they want to maintain lockdown if we get to that point?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

You know things are bad when FF are locking out their property developer mates. They havent a ****ing clue how to handle this.

I honestly think our best bet at this stage is going to be buying vaccines from the Brits.

FF to led us into national humiliation for the second time in 11 years.

What's this about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Wombatman wrote: »
    The reason why we have to be more cautious than other countries is our health service is a shambles. Hard to believe some people haven't grasped this after almost a year.

Having said that, it's not like Germany is steaming ahead of us, in loosening restrictions.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/germany-extends-coronavirus-lockdown-until-march-7-loosens-some-rules

Our health system for all its faults has held up remarkably well and far better than some more well resourced peers. The one lesson from this is now is the time to have a one tier hospital service by buying up capacity and increasing taxes. The cost will even out if people don’t have insurance payments.

Our health system for all its faults has held up remarkably well and far better than some more well resourced peers. The one lesson from this is now is the time to have a one tier hospital service by buying up capacity and increasing taxes. The cost will even out if people don’t have insurance payments.

Taxes are going to increase that's for sure, but you are (sorry for using the word) naive if you think said rise of taxes will be used to improve things in healthcare.

Except its full of the usual caveats, may happen, gov source giving their view etc. FG sources brief the opposite, its all politics, none of them know what next month looks like never mind April/May.

Good luck to them getting it if / when cases are very low & we're still well on track in terms of reducing case numbers. Sure the departments of finance and public expenditure are even flagging up the cost of this and that it can't keep up at this rate.

That's the problem the poor communication tbh

Its the continuation of nothingness that gets me

There is no strategy at all

This is an area I work in

Id be fired if I behaved as the government have

Taxes are going to increase that's for sure, but you are (sorry for using the word) naive if you think said rise of taxes will be used to improve things in healthcare.

Yup course there's going to be tax increases

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1359638294720622592?s=19

Yup course there's going to be tax increases

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1359638294720622592?s=19

That's just one, plenty of others coming too.
    Do you remember the 'temporary' USC when we all partied?

That's the problem the poor communication tbh

Its the continuation of nothingness that gets me

There is no strategy at all

This is an area I work in

Id be fired if I behaved as the government have

Communication has been p1ss poor throughout. Sure we all remember the issues when the living with covid plan was initially announced.

I doubt there'll be many changes to that in 2 weeks time and it'll be thrown out the window not long after.
    All to be seen to do something while they pray cases continue to decrease and then give a big pat on the back.

Underpromising has been a huge feature of the last year and then sure aren't we great when we over deliver

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Of course we are running out of cash with the current subventions we are providing. An example, I often drive through the N22 Macroom road project, 2/3rds of staff are not on site, a 22km wide construction site completely outdoors. Many staff currently not on site are working alone in machines, while some of those on site are working on structures in teams. I can't understand the level of risk assessment going on here.

Talk of Level 5 until May is off the wall crazy stuff. The UK are providing a roadmap out of the lockdown on February 22, and we're talking about another 3 months of lockdown. We've spent 90 of the last 116 days in Level 5 lockdown, and we are now being told we are spending possibly another 80-90 days in lockdown.

If we are still in Level 5 by April and the UK are reopening as we can expect them to be, with half the population given a vaccine, there will be serious issues for this Government to contend with. Leo can't go on the radio and blame Sinn Fein/Tony Holohan.

This is a total mess and it's led to government by paralysis from a group of individuals with a serious lack of leadership. I am reminded here of us opening hardware stores in May while the rest of Europe were dining out and the associated disquiet amongst the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Christ, I never realised I was posting to so many 20 and 30 year olds... who don't have a backbone! Talking of leaving when the going gets tough. You are being ridden sideways by my generation. Get up, stand up (Stand up for your life).

BlowHard wrote: »
    Has to be done. This new varient and the disastrous vaccine roll out will make this year as bad as last at the very least.

No it doesn't! When you can spell variant then we'll talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Why would they want to maintain lockdown if we get to that point?:confused:

I’ve repeatedly asked this question about why it happened in 2020

I think it’s because NPHET were concerned about the R number

Likely be the same this year

polesheep wrote: »
    Christ, I never realised I was posting to so many 20 and 30 year olds... who don't have a backbone! Talking of leaving when the going gets tough. You are being ridden sideways by my generation. Get up, stand up (Stand up for your life).

The aged 50+ have all the wealth and assets.

It’s not a battle the younger guys can win

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It's worth noting that most Mediterranean countries have already re-opened to some extent.

In fact, some countries never had to close at all to any significant degree. Apart from limited public groups, wearing masks, and bars closed - that's it. Life remains the same. People can still go to restaurants that act as bars to some degree. Hairdressers never closed etc.

Imagine anything close to that in Ireland? Not a chance.

Not as long as Moany Hologram, Ronan Glum, and Professor Bore-an, are in charge.

Time to put a stop to this vague, sweeping nonsense.
    How about a stringency index that cuts out all of your exaggeration and selection bias.
    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?stackMode=absolute&time=2021-02-09&region=Europe
    So Germany, UK, Cyprus and Greece currently have the same level of restrictions in place as Ireland. Nethelernads has even stricter rules in place.
    And about 1/2 of the entire rest of the continent of Europe falls into the next closest tier below us, with very strict covid regulations in place by world's standards.

The aged 50+ have all the wealth and assets.

It’s not a battle the younger guys can win

Are you kidding? Wealth and assets can be wiped out overnight.

Get up, stand up (Stand up for your life)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Time to put a stop to this vague, sweeping nonsense.
    How about a stringency index that cuts out all of your exaggeration and selection bias.
    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-stringency-index?stackMode=absolute&time=2021-02-09&region=Europe
    So Germany, UK, Cyprus and Greece currently have the same level of restrictions in place as Ireland. Nethelernads has even stricter rules in place.
    And about 1/2 of the entire rest of the continent of Europe falls into the next closest tier below us, with very strict covid regulations in place by world's standards.

That’s a fairly vague colour chart.

Doesn’t seem to take into effect Ireland’s extra steps including construction bans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why should small-and-medium entrepreneurs (SMEs) be hostages to the number of Covid sufferers in ICU?

Many Irish health professionals who were working abroad came home during the first wave of the pandemic to help. Obviously, some of them had difficulty in securing work after their short-term contracts ran out but I hope that many, or most, of them have secured permanent employment in healthcare by now. Furthermore, the recruitment embargo was lifted at the start of the pandemic.

So why isn't the government increasing the number of ICU beds? The extra money that would cost would be a drop in the ocean by comparison with how much money the government has borrowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

That’s a fairly vague colour chart.

Doesn’t seem to take into effect Ireland’s extra steps including construction bans

That's true yes but it's a damn sight better than a random claim about unspecific 'places' are more 'opened up' than us. I'm sure on boards.(insert any country worldwide) or wherever people chat there are random illogical rules in places that we don't to suffer here too and don't here about if we don't live there

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    That's true yes but it's a damn sight better than a random claim about unspecific 'places' are more 'opened up' than us. I'm sure on boards.(insert any country worldwide) or wherever people chat there are random illogical rules in places that we don't to suffer here too and don't here about if we don't live there

Who cares about other countries? Let's lead not follow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement