Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Going to a restaurant is reckless behaviour? If hospitality didn't open we would be in the exact same position now.

One of the main superspeader events in tramore was a outbreak in a pub on xmas eve

It resulted in one stage,that 1 in 20 people in tramore had coronavirus......uhw had to hire a 2nd freezer lorry to store dead bodies during january (90+% of waterford covid deaths occured in last 3 weeks)

This is to my eyes,overwhelmingly a result of hospitality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Taxes are going to increase that's for sure, but you are (sorry for using the word) naive if you think said rise of taxes will be used to improve things in healthcare.

Oh taxes will increase, and I know this will not happen. But it will be looked back on as a lost opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

One of the main superspeader events in tramore was a outbreak in a pub on xmas eve

It resulted in one stage,that 1 in 20 people in tramore had coronavirus......uhw had to hire a 2nd freezer lorry to store dead bodies during january (90+% of waterford covid deaths occured in last 3 weeks)

Hospitality or reckless behavior?

Surely there's a distinction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Certainly the last time I will ever vote for FF, FG or the Greens.

I know its early but thats just ridiculous. No matter who you voted for this would be happening. Open your eyes pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Said pub should have been closed at that point. A good chunk of cases happened because of abuse of the rules by hospitality (numbers, opening hours) and then back to private homes where many households did not follow the public health advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Jesus christ, he is absolutely pathetic. How could anyone have any confidence in this simpering coward?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Jesus christ, he is absolutely pathetic. How could anyone have any confidence in this simpering coward?

Waffle and more waffle. Stuttering through interviews without giving actual answers.

When will you decide on the leaving cert, " next week" , thats been the same answer for the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Jesus wept that interview was a car crash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

Waffle and more waffle. Stuttering through interviews without giving actual answers.

When will you decide on the leaving cert, " next week" , thats been the same answer for the last month

5 million people and he's the best weve got

No wonder we are screwed

• Advertisement

Sanjuro wrote: »

I don't think he is was too bad. It's a ****ty situation. No one likes bad news.
    The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) scientist Prof John Edmunds saying the Bristol variant can potentially reinfect those who've been vaccinated or who've had a previous infection.
    Referencing the AZ and Novovax clinical trials which showed the same mutation evaded immunity from AZ vaccine and previous infection. (no data yet on effect of preventing severe disease though)

EDIT: Just to add the reason there was no data on severe covid is the median age of the participants in the trial was 30. Not that many young people in that demographic get severe covid so not enough data to evaluate. They did get mild and moderate which includes pneumonia.

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1359637876821139462?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

I don't think he is was too bad. It's a ****ty situation. No one likes bad news.

I don't know, it may, it might

I know you mean well emptor

But those experts need to know science is based on facts not opinions, gut feeling

That guy waffled even more than MM and that's hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

That was staff having a party - way too many people involved and clearly breaking the rules. THey deserve to have their licences revoked, fined etc.

Anyone I know who contracted Covid, did so in a private house not out and about. THe stats support this. Most outbreaks in private homes and health care settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

AdrianII wrote: »
    I know its early but thats just ridiculous. No matter who you voted for this would be happening. Open your eyes pal.
    it would have happened for sure...but would it have been handled better under a different government?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) scientist Prof John Edmunds saying the Bristol variant can potentially reinfect those who've been vaccinated or who've had a previous infection.
    Referencing the AZ and Novovax clinical trials which showed the same mutation evaded immunity from AZ vaccine and previous infection. (no data yet on effect of preventing severe disease though)

It's far too early to draw any conclusions but even IF reinfection is possible, the severity of this is very important in any newsbite. If the reinfection manifests itself as a cold or similarly mild symptoms then it doesn't really matter and the vaccines are still extremely valuable.

latency89 wrote: »
    I don't know, it may, it might

I know you mean well emptor

But those experts need to know science is based on facts not opinions, gut feeling

That guy waffled even more than MM and that's hard

Thanks, I didn't watch the whole thing. Look there's a lot of data coming out. The S.A trial was absolutely based in science and is the only clinical data we have on the immunity evasion of the variant against vaccine and reinfection. It's a preprint so obviously best to wait for peer review but the data is very conclusive.
    • People who had a previous infection were just as likely to be infected with the S.A variant as those who were never infected.
    • The clinical trials show that the novavax vaccine was 89% efficacious vs the UK variant while only 60% efficacious in HIV negative people. (that's pretty good still)

That's a big drop and has implications for reaching herd immunity. with the estimated R rate of the variant. Other vaccines were similarly less effective (mRNA ones were better but still not as effective). J and J vaccine was effected but fared better.

Based on the fact our strategy was reach immunity through vaccination. If S.A variant becomes dominant which it may do then our strategy in the short /medium term won't work. Will need updated vaccines to prevent mild and moderate (no data on severe). spread. as median age of trial participant was 30 / 31

The reason he said is because this Bristol one contains the same mutation found in South African and Brazilian variants.

Here's the science if interested. It's a bit long but interesting.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Seeing a concerning amount of people going missing or ending up in rivers.

Tony & Government will have a lot of deaths on their shoulders to carry after this, and they won't be COVID deaths.

3 in my locality of Louth this week alone, notices up on local shops looking for sightings of 2 others who have since gone missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

BTownB wrote: »
    That was staff having a party - way too many people involved and clearly breaking the rules. THey deserve to have their licences revoked, fined etc.

Anyone I know who contracted Covid, did so in a private house not out and about. THe stats support this. Most outbreaks in private homes and health care settings.

Would you have those stats please? I'd be very interested in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

AdrianII wrote: »

The opposition have made it clear they would have taken a strickter and more organised approach akin to other countries who have dealt with covid 19 and now are more or less reopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Seeing a concerning amount of people going missing or ending up in rivers.

Tony & Government will have a lot of deaths on their shoulders to carry after this, and they won't be COVID deaths.

Unfortunately no one in the media will ever dare to bring up this topic.

And even if they did, the government will tell you that they implamented mental health awareness initiatives. All of which essentially amount to telling you to get up and stretch your arms for a bit. What more could we ask for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

As I said a few weeks ago - I'll comply until Easter. If they push this out until May ill be breaching the restrictions to meet friends. Numbers will be low and I will have 0 guilt. This is not living.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

How long do they expect people to comply? I only know of one other person complying. Everyone else meets their friends, families, partners, indoors whenever they want, has gatherings, etc. I'm complying but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate this isolation tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thanks, I didn't watch the whole thing. Look there's a lot of data coming out. The S.A trial was absolutely based in science and is the only clinical data we have on the immunity evasion of the variant against vaccine and reinfection. It's a preprint so obviously best to wait for peer review but the data is very conclusive.

Multiple posters have told you the caveats with the SA AZ study which I'm assuming is the one your referring referring. Theres more holes in it than you can shake a stick at and I think you know that, the first being that the dosing schedule wasn't adhered to.

So no it isn't absolutely based on science when they haven't even stuck to a basic principle to begin with.

A more comprehensive study is required, one that actually gives the proper doses to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Golfman64 wrote: »
    It's far too early to draw any conclusions but even IF reinfection is possible, the severity of this is very important in any newsbite. If the reinfection manifests itself as a cold or similarly mild symptoms then it doesn't really matter and the vaccines are still extremely valuable.

Even if it doesn't prevent severe disease, the vaccine is still useful against other strains. It does mean though that, the South African strain must be kept out of the country at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭jams100

Why can't MM have a zoom call with Biden? Why does he think a trip to America is acceptable? One rule etc. etc.

And i don't care if its classed as work, it's simply a non essential trip. Nothing that he's going to do is anything that couldn't wait until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

The_Brood wrote: »
    Unfortunately no one in the media will ever dare to bring up this topic.

And even if they did, the government will tell you that they implamented mental health awareness initiatives. All of which essentially amount to telling you to get up and stretch your arms for a bit. What more could we ask for?

If you have any facts to back up all these anecdotes of mass suicide, you should post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

jams100 wrote: »
    Why can't MM have a zoom call with Biden? Why does he think a trip to America is acceptable? One rule etc. etc.

And i don't care if its classed as work, it's simply a non essential trip. Nothing that he's going to do is anything that couldn't wait until next year.

Do as I say not as I do

Stay at home plebs and have SFA open until at least Easter and then a slow painful reopening of society

4 months of the year at least at level 5 costing €1.3 billion a month

No foreign holidays for ye this year and probably until 2023

Instead MM will take his opportunity for non essential foreign travel and will even skip vaccination queue to enable himself to go

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Do as I say not as I do

Stay at home plebs and have SFA open until at least Easter and then a slow painful reopening of society

4 months of the year at least at level 5 costing €1.3 billion a month

No foreign holidays for ye this year and probably until 2023

Instead MM will take his opportunity for non essential foreign travel and will even skip vaccination queue to enable himself to go

It's staggering to think of this mindset. Do you not think the prime minister of the country is an essential worker? Of course he should be vaccinated as soon as possible and travel to the the White House if invited.

Multiple posters have told you the caveats with the SA AZ study. Theres more holes in it than you can shake a stick at and I think you know that, the first being that the dosing schedule wasn't adhered to.

So no it isn't absolutely based on science when they haven't even stuck to a basic principle to begin with.

A more comprehensive study is required.

Just to note, I'm discussing this vis a vis our strategy not the vaccine although our strategy to date has been just the vaccine.

Oh Stephen I do admire your determination. Multiple posters have told me lots of things and been completely wrong. If anyone listened to you they would think that the mutations were made up by Boris Johnson. Great to see you still have your sceptic hat on while we are about to start put people in hotels due to the risk this is creating for our vaccine plan.

Please do tell us what those holes in the study were.

Just to be clear. The slide below shows that the vaccine didn't work.....at all in the trial. Statistically speak of course. The median age of the participants were 30 so saying "but severe but severe......" is not evidence it's just absence of evidence. That's not to say it couldn't protect against severe disease it's just that young people aren't likely to get severe disease and so there wasn't enough observed in the trial to draw a conclusion.

542974.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Pdoghue wrote: »
    It's staggering to think of this mindset. Do you not think the prime minister of the country is an essential worker? Of course he should be vaccinated as soon as possible and travel to the the White House if invited.

He's only getting vaccinated to go on his non essential jolly to America

He previously said he wouldn't skip the queue now he is

Stay at home like the rest of us

Set an example for everybody else

When he expects us to not see friends, family partners for months on end and have no foreign holidays this year he could skip a jolly to USA for one year

Biden wouldn't care less

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement