Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

If anyone listened to you they would think that the mutations were made up by Boris Johnson

Alarmingly thats the majority opinion in the vaccine thread

Boris and his team of experts made it all up and the whole world are following along, mutations are no problem, won't spread.

Don't post in there anymore after that, they are the opposite of anti vax, completely blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Please do tell us what those holes in the study were.

Couldn't be bothered with the rest of your post, if you want to get personal fire away, it's an opinion forum. Only person suggesting that others say variants don't exist is you but sure look your entitled to your opinion. People aren't saying they don't exist by the way, the questions are around data.

As for the above, summed up well by another poster and the below I would agree with,

1. Sample size is insufficient, a few cases either way could skew the figures wildly.
    2. Confidence intervals are so wide as to make them meaningless
    3. The age group in the trial doesn't allow for any assessment of impact on severity and hospitalizations
    4. The definition for moderate cases is far too wide to make any conclusions (it's a few minor symptoms to being near oxygen support)
    5. It's a 4 week interval between doses in the SA trial, it's already known that that's not a great interval for ChAdOx1 efficacy.

All I can say is thank the boards gods for the ignore button, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭jams100

Pdoghue wrote: »
    It's staggering to think of this mindset. Do you not think the prime minister of the country is an essential worker? Of course he should be vaccinated as soon as possible and travel to the the White House if invited.

Why is this an essential trip?
    Every work trip could be classed as an essential trip so, my company has stopped 99.9% of work trips and there used to be alot. It's not essential anything that he's says over there is nothing that couldn't be said on a zoom call.

And yes, i know he and Biden would take all the preventative measures etc. That's not the point, he should be leading by example, I doubt the New Zealand leader is going on these trips?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jams100 wrote: »
    Why can't MM have a zoom call with Biden? Why does he think a trip to America is acceptable? One rule etc. etc.

And i don't care if its classed as work, it's simply a non essential trip. Nothing that he's going to do is anything that couldn't wait until next year.

A remote meeting would be a great opportunity to show how we are in this together. They could broadcast it live. Great optics.

They don't seem to see it like that though. No imagination. This visit is not going to play well with the public at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why is this an essential trip?
    Every work trip could be classed as an essential trip so, my company has stopped 99.9% of work trips and there used to be alot. It's not essential anything that he's says over there is nothing that couldn't be said on a zoom call.

And yes, i know he and Biden would take all the preventative measures etc. That's not the point, he should be leading by example, I doubt the New Zealand leader is going on these trips?

The New Zealand leader does not have a standing invitation to meet the US president on an annual basis.

If she did, she would 100% be taking up to invitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    He's only getting vaccinated to go on his non essential jolly to America

He previously said he wouldn't skip the queue now he is

Stay at home like the rest of us

Set an example for everybody else

When he expects us to not see friends, family partners for months on end and have no foreign holidays this year he could skip a jolly to USA for one year

Biden wouldn't care less

Your description of it being a 'jolly' says everything about what your perception of what the trip is about. A jolly, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Keeping us locked down until Easter is inhumane. Over 70s need to be in Lockdown. The rest of us free to weigh up the options.

I have lost 2 jobs in this pandemic. I have been lucky enough to get something for the next couple of months which will get me through it. But from previous experience I know how hard people will be taking this talk of Lockdown until Easter. Government, NPHET and media have absolutely no idea what people are experiencing. They are working and fully paid with extra movement privileges.

Easter is unacceptable. This isn't Ebola. It only effects older and vulnerable people of which we have given a year of our lives to protect. The vulnerable need to step up and do their bit, whilst the rest of us return to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lockdown until easter will cause absolute carnage. People are burned out as is, asking us to be locked down for another 8 weeks is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has it been confirmed that he's going to the US or is this still just Sinn Fein stirring the pot?

Any road, hospital numbers are on track. We could see it drop as low as 920 cases by Saturday, and then it'll stay flat until Tuesday. ICU still unfortunately trickling downward. I don't know if we'll see it drop more solidly; in theory we should, but it's hard to call.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Lockdown until easter will cause absolute carnage. People are burned out as is, asking us to be locked down for another 8 weeks is not right.
    With schools open (and a few other businesses), there'll be a pressure valve. Even just the act of getting up and out in the morning to bring the kids to school is cathartic to people. It'll be a change in the routine, and that's what'll make it bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

seamus wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that he's going to the US or is this still just Sinn Fein stirring the pot?

Any road, hospital numbers are on track. We could see it drop as low as 920 cases by Saturday, and then it'll stay flat until Tuesday. ICU still unfortunately trickling downward. I don't know if we'll see it drop more solidly; in theory we should, but it's hard to call.

I'd say he'll go, he was saying this morning that there hadn't been an invite yet but there was discussions.

If he's going then he'll need to be vaccinated fairly soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Vicxas wrote: »

Even if we got numbers down to 200 per day the problem is they will be back up around 1000 very quickly with the new strain if we open up.

Vaccination is the only way out and we dont have them any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Your description of it being a 'jolly' says everything about what your perception of what the trip is about. A jolly, really?

How is it not a Jolly?

There's not one thing Martin will do that couldn't be done on a phone or on a video call

Non essential travel at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Polar101

seamus wrote: »

He hasn't been invited yet, but apparently they are talking about it.

Edit: Which I think means he'll definitely go, unless there's a lot of negative publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

3 in my locality of Louth this week alone, notices up on local shops looking for sightings of 2 others who have since gone missing.

4 missing in galway city last week, if I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

Polar101 wrote: »

Edit: Which I think means he'll definitely go, unless there's a lot of negative publicity.
    biden is as much to blame if he invites him as martin is for going. stupid behaviour..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I made mention last night that there seems to be a media blackout on mental health issues , it was met with sneering from the usual cohort that are dismissive towards mental health. The figures for suicide are not available for 2020, the figure was 421 for 2019.
    Below is a link form the Irish Times, data collection on suicide was stopped in June last year, I can't find any mention that it was resumed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-facing-a-tsunami-of-mental-health-problems-1.4273850

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

This opening of the buildings will be a free-for-all excuse for everybody to work.
    Same with the opening of schools. There will will be every excuse for people to be out on the streets.
    So we will go into the next lockdown and the next lockdown....

Polar101 wrote: »

FG seems to be pushing for Martin to go, that in itself should help Martin arrive at an appropriate decision. I suspect though his ego will override any commonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Micheál Martin quoted a close contact positivity rate of 20% on the radio this morning, highlighting this as an example of the greater infectiousness of the new variant by comparing it to the previous close contact positivity rate of 12%.

This is nonsense. At the moment, the vast majority of close contacts will be in a household setting. The close contact positivity rate in households was always much higher. See attached study which quotes a positivity rate of 21.1% in households.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/209673/covid-19-spread-different-social-settings-imperial/

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

The vulnerable need to step up and do their bit, whilst the rest of us return to normal

What exactly should they be doing? “Step up and do their bit” what are you talking about?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Micheál Martin quoted a close contact positivity rate of 20% on the radio this morning, highlighting this as an example of the greater infectiousness of the new variant by comparing it to the previous close contact positivity rate of 12%.

This is nonsense. At the moment, the vast majority of close contacts will be in a household setting. The close contact positivity rate in households was always much higher. See attached study which quotes a positivity rate of 21.1% in households.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/209673/covid-19-spread-different-social-settings-imperial/

Whatever message suits the agenda of keeping people afraid and compliant. Do these people not realise or care about the damage they are doing to the scientific world with their misuse / misunderstanding of data?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭jams100

Allinall wrote: »
    The New Zealand leader does not have a standing invitation to meet the US president on an annual basis.

If she did, she would 100% be taking up to invitation.

During normal times yes, right now I'd say no.
    It's not essential, anything that could happen over zoom is non essential.
    Even Harrington caught covid this week and that is despite regular testing and "bubbles" on the golf tours.
    This under the current circumstances can't be classed as essential.

Martin talking bollix, I'm shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I made mention last night that there seems to be a media blackout on mental health issues , it was met with sneering from the usual cohort that are dismissive towards mental health. The figures for suicide are not available for 2020, the figure was 421 for 2019.
    Below is a link form the Irish Times, data collection on suicide was stopped in June last year, I can't find any mention that it was resumed.a

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-facing-a-tsunami-of-mental-health-problems-1.4273850

So there are warnings, but no stats?

The good news we have from other countries, suggests no rise in suicides or self harm in 2020:

The united states:

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1357765466601775106

Peru:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1354158362380926977

New South Wales (Suicides down 5%):

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/23/nsw-suicide-rate-falls-by-remarkable-5-in-2020-lifeline-finds

So there are warnings, but no stats?

The good news we have from other countries, suggests no rise in suicides or self harm in 2020:

The united states:

https://twitter.com/tylerblack32/status/1357765466601775106

Peru:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1354158362380926977

New South Wales (Suicides down 5%):

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/dec/23/nsw-suicide-rate-falls-by-remarkable-5-in-2020-lifeline-finds

You clearly didn't read the article I linked, 3rd paragraph mentions an upward trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Whatever message suits the agenda of keeping people afraid and compliant. Do these people not realise or care about the damage they are doing to the scientific world with their misuse / misunderstanding of data?

I was really annoyed by it. What was presented as bad news is actually good news - a positivity rate of 20% is actually much better than we might have expected if the new variant is 70% more infectious.

Full Level 5 restrictions in place until after Easter but schools and construction likely to reopen

Level 5 lockdown restrictions are set to be extended by at least another six weeks , with only schools and the construction sector likely to be allowed to reopen before Easter.

A ‘refreshed’ Living with Covid plan will be published the week after next, but senior figures involved in drafting the document say it is unlikely to give definitive timelines or dates for reopening society and the economy.

Subject to Cabinet approval, the current Level 5 restrictions, which are due to expire on March 5, are likely to be extended until at least April 12

As well as keeping most shops and hospitality venues closed, it is also likely to mean no changes to the current ‘stay at home’ advisory and the 5km travel limit – although Tánaiste Leo Varadkar is pushing for households to be allowed to meet outdoors after March 5.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/full-level-5-restrictions-in-place-until-after-easter-but-schools-and-construction-likely-to-reopen-40078219.html

Some plan with no dates lol

Funny how the government will have taken extra time after Easter so if its a month they take out the May Bank Holiday and then another month taking out the June Bank Holiday

The government playing a blinder in downplaying expectations but giving people nothing to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Do as I say not as I do

Stay at home plebs and have SFA open until at least Easter and then a slow painful reopening of society

4 months of the year at least at level 5 costing €1.3 billion a month

No foreign holidays for ye this year and probably until 2023

Instead MM will take his opportunity for non essential foreign travel and will even skip vaccination queue to enable himself to go

Hysterical, fear mongering, doom merchant, curtain twitching at its finest. The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Why can't MM have a zoom call with Biden? Why does he think a trip to America is acceptable? One rule etc. etc.

And i don't care if its classed as work, it's simply a non essential trip. Nothing that he's going to do is anything that couldn't wait until next year.

because hes not going to be the taosaich that doesn't meet the american president basically

• Advertisement

Hysterical, fear mongering, doom merchant, curtain twitching at its finest. The irony.

Lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement