Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

And importantly that by mid May with better weather and hopefully super low number and with the most vulnerable vaccinated we should be in a reasonably good place.

Yeah, something like this for Ireland in the next 8 weeks:

boardsdotie-isreal-feb2021-Untitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have done everything asked of me since last March , adhered to the restriction and done my absolute best
    But there is no way now that I am staying within 5kms until next Easter . I walk in four parks all within 5kms and they are packed , we wear masks as they are so full .I am by no means complaining about the people there , they too want to walk .
    I cannot drive to an empty beach because its more than 5kms .But if this goes on till April I am done with that nonsense .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

thelad95 wrote: »
    If the Spanish students are here to learn English that probably broadly falls into education which is one of the legitimate reasons people can enter the country.

So if I book a cheap course somewhere foreign I'm free to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Alright. That aside, say a couple from Spain or France decided to come to Ireland on holiday. Would the fine apply to them? Or is it just irish citizens?

You only get fined for leaving without good reason.

Being from another country and going back home is good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What exactly should they be doing? “Step up and do their bit” what are you talking about?!

Stay at home. Only leave the house for light exercise. Try and get somebody to do your grocery shopping or at least we can specify times they can go at. No house visitors.

Do not be turning up to non essential retail, pubs, restaurants etc until vaccinated. Those are for us. The ones that sacrificed the last year to keep you alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I made mention last night that there seems to be a media blackout on mental health issues , it was met with sneering from the usual cohort that are dismissive towards mental health. The figures for suicide are not available for 2020, the figure was 421 for 2019.
    Below is a link form the Irish Times, data collection on suicide was stopped in June last year, I can't find any mention that it was resumed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-facing-a-tsunami-of-mental-health-problems-1.4273850

The sneering was because you couldn't give a rats ass about genuine mental health issues, you are only using it l to push your own anti restrictions agenda.

Plumbing the depths indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stay at home. Only leave the house for light exercise. Try and get somebody to do your grocery shopping or at least we can specify times they can go at. No house visitors.

Do not be turning up to non essential retail, pubs, restaurants etc until vaccinated. Those are for us. The ones that sacrificed the last year to keep you alive.

Sure aren't you just a sweetheart . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

You only get fined for leaving without good reason.

Being from another country and going back home is good reason.

So coming in to the country with no good reason means no fine for them? So fine only applies to irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    So coming in to the country with no good reason means no fine for them? So fine only applies to irish citizens.

Seems to be the case alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The sneering was because you couldn't give a rats ass about genuine mental health issues, you are only using it l to push your own anti restrictions agenda.

Plumbing the depths indeed...

Having lost several friends to suicide I can assure you I do give a rat's ass. Never make assumptions about people you don't know, it speaks volumes how nasty an individual you are.
    I'm against stupid restrictions. Closing things for six weeks before Christmas contributed to the mess we found ourselves in afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭political analyst

quokula wrote: »
    If there is suddenly no water anymore, as in your scenario, hairdressers wouldn't be able to operate anyway. I'm not sure we need to worry about ICUs being overrun with headlice victims any time soon.

I was referring to the cutting of the water supply to people's homes, not businesses. I'm sure that the authorities still don't want to have head-lice outbreaks on top of what they're already dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Seems to be the case alright.

Alright thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Having lost several friends to suicide I can assure you I do give a rat's ass. Never make assumptions about people you don't know, it speaks volumes how nasty an individual you are.
    I'm against stupid restrictions. Closing things for six weeks before Christmas contributed to the mess we found ourselves in afterwards.

Sorry for your loss. I know that pain only too well myself.

So you must be very concerned about the reports of long covid causing a lot of heavy depression, anxiety and other mental health problems for a huge number of people?

I don't think you are concerned though, because it just doesn't tally with your final sentence there. You only seem to be concerned about mental health issues when it's caused by lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Sorry for your loss. I know that pain only too well myself.

So you must be very concerned about the reports of long covid causing a lot of heavy depression, anxiety and other mental health problems for a huge number of people?

I don't think you are concerned though, because it just doesn't tally with your final sentence there. You only seem to be concerned about mental health issues when it's caused by lockdown.

Reports? Anecdote? or some actual quantitative data?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If you really cared about mental health you wouldn't be using it to push an agenda. You've been against restrictions for months, if not from the very beginning and you're trying every angle to attack them. This is just the latest. That speaks volumes about you.

Why is it that the government doesn't have the same level of concern for small-and-medium entrepreneurs (SMEs) as it did for farmers during the foot-and-mouth outbreak in 2001?

Has the government forgotten that refusing to even consider gradual reduction of restrictions to Level 3 by April means less money for public services, including healthcare?!

The outbreaks caused by Christmas and New Year festivities must have run their course by now. Surely, there must be enough healthcare workers to increase the number of ICU beds so that there can be at least a slight lowering of the restrictions.

OwenM wrote: »
    Reports? Anecdote? or some actual quantitative data?

All three.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

MM should have said he that he not travel to the US. Not being clear about this speaks volumes - especially since he was just banging on about prolonged restrictions for us mere peasants.

I'd actually like to see him go now with his bowl of shamrock. He'll get a swift reminder that he has no handle of the mood of the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,660 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Genuinely baffling that anyone thinks MM should not go to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭JDxtra

AdamD wrote: »

Why? I can't go 5km down the road. It's far from an essential trip. I'm sure Joe would understand.

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    MM should have said he that he not travel to the US. Not being clear about this speaks volumes - especially since he was just banging on about prolonged restrictions for us mere peasants.

I'd actually like to see him go now with his bowl of shamrock. He'll get a swift reminder that he has no handle of the mood of the nation.

I'm not sure you have a handle on the mood of boards.ie, never mind the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Paul Reid - " Day 0 & day 10 testing of close contacts has resumed"

JDxtra wrote: »
    Why? I can't go 5km down the road. It's far from an essential trip. I'm sure Joe would understand.

The yearly paddy's day trip is an essential part of Ireland's soft power.

If a certain cohort of the population don't understand or care about that and will crib, moan and ultimately vote against Martin for it in the future, well I'm absolutely fine with that too.

Knock yourselves out

If you really cared about mental health you wouldn't be using it to push an agenda. You've been against restrictions for months, if not from the very beginning and you're trying every angle to attack them. This is just the latest. That speaks volumes about you.

As I said I'm against stupid restrictions. You seem to wish to make your comments very personal although when you refer to as you did yesterday people as animals I'm not surprised. I hope when the restrictions are lifted you can find somewhere to emigrate to where the populace will be more in keeping with what you find acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

We need to think logically. Opening up with the new variant will be much more depressing and quickly undoing the suppression of the last few weeks. The vaccine roll out needs to be accelerated. If seasonality plays a role and we get numbers very low. We could be in a much better position. The vaccine appears to be very effective judging by the data in Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

As I said I'm against stupid restrictions. You seem to wish to make your comments very personal although when you refer to as you did yesterday people as animals I'm not surprised. I hope when the restrictions are lifted you can find somewhere to emigrate to where the populace will be more in keeping with what you find acceptable.

Why are they stupid? What's the alternative with the current situation we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Apparently Michael Martin is going to take a detour to Disneyland when he goes over to US on St Patrick's Day and he's going to dress up as Mickey Mouse.

wadacrack wrote: »
    We need to think logically. Opening up with the new variant will be much more depressing and quickly undoing the suppression of the last few weeks. The vaccine roll out needs to be accelerated. If seasonality plays a role and we get numbers very low. We could be in a much better position. The vaccine appears to be very effective judging by the data in Israel.

A reduction to Level 4 in March would not cause harm. The Christmas and New Year outbreaks must have run their course by now.

As for vaccines, the government cannot give us doses that haven't even been manufactured yet.

AdamD wrote: »

I'm baffled why you think he should. Every other Paddy's Day it's an opportunity to meet business leaders and a host of other political leaders. This year it most likely is restricted to giving Joe a bowl of weeds that will quickly be thrown into the Whitehouse furnace by SS staff.
    I don't know Joe Biden but I'm sure he would understand the reasoning behind Martin not travelling during a pandemic similar to Martin and his government advising none of the population to travel either.
    It's called leading by example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Apparently Michael Martin is going to take a detour to Disneyland when he goes over to US on St Patrick's Day and he's going to dress up as Mickey Mouse.

He makes a better Mickey Mouse not dressing up as him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement