Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

I may have missed the answer to this elsewhere, but Eamon Ryan was asked a question about what's stopping someone getting on a plane to the Canaries, and he dodged it, going back to the restrictions on incoming travel. Are the guards fining people €100 if caught? Not sure that it is enough of a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

He's not wrong, its almost impossible with another country on the same island.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The press conference really doesn't inspire confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's just a briefing on what we've already heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How they will determine if someone has been in Brazil or South Africa I can't get my head around, there's no direct flights from either country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Weak weak governance

How so? He's right.

I live along the border, out of curiosity do You?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Well matter the topic, if Eamon Ryan is there a press conference will never inspire confidence

Weak weak governance
    You should send him your detailed plan then!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yep, and could bring forward the Easter holidays also. Would minimise the school time lost, which everyone should be in favour of.

But but but... what about the teachers holidays? God forbid they would be put out at all by this whole thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Does he think it's all a laugh or what? What an idiotic response from Martin. Is it too much to expect that businesses could be back open, workers back working and people able to meet friends in May in pubs/restaurants? Even if it there's ways to saying it without that sort of reply. Leave the stand up routine out of it

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1354112169558888448

If they are bringing in tighter checks for people quarantine at home after arriving from abroad, surely they would be better using those resources to ensure that close contacts of confirmed cases are isolating rather than going to work. They’re focusing on someone with a negative PCR rather than a close contact? Seems the wrong way round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

mloc123 wrote: »
    But but but... what about the teachers holidays? God forbid they would be put out at all by this whole thing

Not suggesting any holidays are cancelled, just brought forward. It's not like you can go anywhere anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

How they will determine if someone has been in Brazil or South Africa I can't get my head around, there's no direct flights from either country.

they might ask them when they arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Do the signers sign the Irish language? The lady behind Micheál when he was speaking Irish was only singing half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Do the signers sign the Irish language? The lady behind Micheál when he was speaking Irish was only singing half the time.

They sign from English into ISL.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Eod100 wrote: »
    Does he think it's all a laugh or what? What an idiotic response from Martin. Is it too much to expect that businesses could be back open, workers back working and people able to meet friends in May in pubs/restaurants? Even if it there's ways to saying it without that sort of reply. Leave the stand up routine out of it

gallows humour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

is_that_so wrote: »
    You can't actually put a timeframe on Zero COVID but we do know we can deal with 100-200 cases a day.That's likely achievable by March and it's only a month away.

Do we?

Show me a time when we had 100-200 cases a day and we just kept going without cases rising again.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

SeaFields wrote: »
    Well matter the topic, if Eamon Ryan is there a press conference will never inspire confidence

Could be worse! Catherine Martin could have been there. You'll be crying your eyes out for Ryan to come back when she becomes Green Party leader!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

gallows humour

Made me laugh anyway. There's always a place for humour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

mloc123 wrote: »

Did a teacher hurt your feelings one time? Put you in the stupid corner or something?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    They sign from English into ISL.

Only English? I wonder what she was signing then when he was speaking as gaeilge... She definitely wasn’t keeping in time with what he was saying.

I know it’s a weird thing to be concerned about!

Arghus wrote: »
    Do we?

Show me a time when we had 100-200 cases a day and we just kept going without cases rising again.
    You seem to imagine I said that, I didn't. I said we can deal with 100-200 cases a day. Add in the vaccinations and a health system far less under pressure it's manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The mandatory quarantine for SA and Brazil won't happen for weeks, if not months.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Only English? I wonder what she was signing then when he was speaking as gaeilge... She definitely wasn’t keeping in time with what he was saying.

Probably more difficult for her to keep up and much more difficult to process what he was saying when going straight from thinking in English to Irish. This always happens me when I try to speak as gaeilge, always takes a few minutes to get going and warm up especially when transitioning straight from speaking English.

Well, they are qualified interpreters from English to Sign. Why would they need to sign from Irish aswell?

I don't know, I presume it depends on the fluency of the signers Irish. How do you know she wasn't keeping up if you dont understand ISL? Isn't there always a lag of a few seconds when interpreting from any language to another. The interpreter needs to hear and understand what's been said to translate accurately, especially for a complex language like Sign. It's not a 'word for word" type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Medical experts are urging people to take Vitamin D supplements to help protect against Covid-19.

The group, from a number of Irish universities, have appealed to the Government to issue updated guidelines for all adults on Vitamin D supplements, which they say can significantly reduce the risk of infection, serious illness and death from Covid-19.

However, to date there has been no action despite mounting evidence showing the benefits of taking supplements.

full article:
    https://www.herald.ie/news/vitamin-d-helps-build-resistance-to-covid-40006095.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Eod100 wrote: »

He really is everything that's wrong with Irish politicians.

Uninspiring, parochial buffoon. Incompetent and spineless, completely lacking any semblance of leadership.

At least Leo has the good grace to dress up his failings. Martin has the constant air of a substitute teacher that has lost control of the class.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Well, they are qualified interpreters from English to Sign. Why would they need to sign from Irish aswell?

Oh I agree, but she was doing *some* signing while he was speaking, so maybe she was signing as much as she could understand from whatever level of Irish she has, even though it may not be required. I was just curious!

It’s been great so see the signers during this. It would be great if basic sign language was taught in schools so more of us would have it. With mask wearing, it’s been a hard time for those who have hearing difficulties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement