Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

861 swabs from 17,207 , 5% positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

861 Positive swabs
    5% + Rate

nice drop from yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Gruffalux wrote: »
    She :(

I have this thing where I automatically assume every anonymous poster on the internet is male.

It's ****ing weird. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So, apparently a GP who called into Liveline today said he will not be giving vaccines to his own patients on the basis he claimed he was a "conscientious objector".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

400 fewer than last Thursday. Contact tracing beginning to play a role now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's not the kill you bit that is the most important - weirdly - in my opinion. Study of developing countries have shown over long times that endemic diseases such as malaria, parasites, etc have slowed down the economic and social progress of vast swathes of populations. The fatigue and low level morbidity experienced by not controlling diseases has a very definite long term dragging effect on populations. The poorest in the world do not need the extra drag of post viral effects of Covid.

Not down playing Covid but post viral infections are nothing new, they didn't suddenly appear February last year.
    Interesting article about India. I linked it yesterday but still a good read.https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/india-s-tumbling-covid-cases-raises-question-is-the-pandemic-burning-itself-out-1.4472406
    India btw the way is a powerhouse economy .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

is_that_so wrote: »
    So, apparently a GP who called into Liveline today and claimed he will not be giving vaccines to his own patients on the basis he claimed he was a "conscientious objector".

Conscientious objector to what though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Excellent

Great positivity rate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So, apparently a GP who called into Liveline today said he will not be giving vaccines to his own patients on the basis he claimed he was a "conscientious objector".

Words fail me really, heard it mentioned during the HSE press conference, they'll be making arrangements for patients at that practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tigger123 wrote: »
    That's all that was reported.

tigger123 wrote: »

Bill Gates, 5G, Lizard people etc take your pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Not down playing Covid but post viral infections are nothing new, they didn't suddenly appear February last year.
    Interesting article about India. I linked it yesterday but still a good read.https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/india-s-tumbling-covid-cases-raises-question-is-the-pandemic-burning-itself-out-1.4472406

I know it's nothing new. But are we so casual about extra sources of morbidity or mortality generally as a species? Surely we aim to reduce the load on the species health and increase life spans as we advance on the planet?

I have been following India for while. It is a particular petri dish, in terms of disease , given the level of disease people there are exposed to normally, plus endemic parasite diseases means rurally people have been taking treatments like Ivermectin for decades. But regardless of what is happening there in terms of infections it will be some time before we know of the post covid drag effect of long haulers.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/cases-down-long-covid-still-a-bother/articleshow/80606299.cms

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-54261125

I know it's nothing new. But are we so casual about extra sources of morbidity or mortality generally as a species? Surely we aim to reduce the load on the species health and increase life spans as we advance on the planet?

I have been following India for while. It is a particular petri dish, in terms of disease , given the level of disease people there are exposed to normally, plus endemic parasite diseases means rurally people have been taking treatments like Ivermectin for decades. But regardless of what is happening there in terms of infections it will be some time before we know of the post covid drag effect of long haulers.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/cases-down-long-covid-still-a-bother/articleshow/80606299.cms

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-54261125

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Eradication is not possible and with the exception off few the majority of the world is not pursuing it, the majority of studies todate show the virus is more harmful to the elderly and a large elderly population is not really a feature of what we term third world countries. Long Covid seems to affect those most who were hopsitalised which is a small percentage of those who contracted the virus and even then it seems to be a small percentage of hospitalisations.
    Lastly to deal with your first few sentences, they are far too many of us. The world's resources are finite, at some stage the population will tip nature over. Viruses such as what we are dealing with will become more common the more we encroach on nature. Only at some stage we will encounter one which will be fatal to the majority.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Eradication is not possible and with the exception off few the majority of the world is not pursuing it, the majority of studies todate show the virus is more harmful to the elderly and a large elderly population is not really a feature of what we term third world countries. Long Covid seems to affect those most who were hopsitalised which is a small percentage of those who contracted the virus and even then it seems to be a small percentage of hospitalisations.

Long Covid seems to affect 10% of people who get Covid regardless of severity. Meet me back here in 6 - 12 months and we will see who is right. I will buy you a pint if you are correct about the ''small percentages'' and mostly of hospitalisations. Pinky swear. :)

Long Covid seems to affect 10% of people who get Covid regardless of severity. Meet me back here in 6 - 12 months and we will see who is right. I will buy you a pint if you are correct about the ''small percentages'' and mostly of hospitalisations. Pinky swear. :)

So by your figures over 20,000 Irish are suffering from a post viral infection. Frankly I don't believe that and your money is safe no interest in pints.

Lastly to deal with your first few sentences, they are far too many of us. The world's resources are finite, at some stage the population will tip nature over. Viruses such as what we are dealing with will become more common the more we encroach on nature. Only at some stage we will encounter one which be fatal to the majority.

To answer these edited sentences, you don't need to tell me about virus danger. My husband calls me the doomsayer because for long years I have said it will be an invisible germ that will get us all in the end. All the much vaunted stuff about the other end of the world scenarios are mostly just trendy tax-collecting initiatives.

So by your figures over 20,000 Irish are suffering from a post viral infection. Frankly I don't believe that and your money is safe no interest in pints.

More. Lots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Eradication is not possible and with the exception off few the majority of the world is not pursuing it

Eh, so you're saying it's impossible but also possible.
    the majority of studies todate show the virus is more harmful to the elderly and a large elderly population is not really a feature of what we term third world countries.

That hasn't been the case for many third world or developing nations. Life expectancy may be much lower, but there are still lots of old people in these countries. And much lower levels of health care means far worse outcomes.
    Long Covid seems to affect those most who were hopsitalised which is a small percentage of those who contracted the virus and even then it seems to be a small percentage of hospitalisations.

Hospitalisation has no bearing on long covid. Most who are suffering from it were never hospitalised.
    There's been a variety of studies that have tried to estimate the number of people affected by it. All of them have been very troubling.

Everything you said just there, in quite an array of topics, was completely and utterly wrong

More. Lots more.

Can you provide evidence please? More . Lots more is incredibly vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

More. Lots more.

Ridiculous claim, many are suffering from depression from the whole pandemic, that will change when things open up, where are you getting that figure?

Doesn't say much for President Biden if people are suggesting the result of the Taoiseach politely declining an invitation to meet him on the grounds he, the Taoiseach, is criminalising people at home for travelling more than 6500 steps from their homes would be President Biden taking revenge including a deterioration in diplomatic relations and the cancellation of the St Patrick's Day invitation.

On the contrary, I would suggest that President Biden's reaction to "I'm very sorry, but my country is in the twelfth week of the six weeks of house arrest I ordered, with a further six weeks of it left and it would not be appropriate to leave the country at this time", would be "of course, I understand completely".

Micheál Martin is not going to the United States as Taoiseach to save Ireland's relationship with Washington, or to build a relationship with President Biden.

Micheál Martin is going to the United States as Taoiseach because Micheál Martin wants to go to the United States.

Micheál Martin wants to go to the United States as Taoiseach because he knows he - the worst Taoiseach in the history of the State - will never get another opportunity to do so.

And if Micheál Martin goes to the United States for a meeting which could quite easily be done over Zoom, public adherence to his restrictions will have crumbled by the time the Six One airs.

He put being a good European above getting Ireland through the pandemic. And now he's putting a photograph for his mantlepiece ahead of the country. What an awful man.

No matter the education, there are always some who are monumentally thick

Ridiculous claim, many are suffering from depression from the whole pandemic, that will change when things open up, where are you getting that figure?

Me Earlier....

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0240784

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...031-X/fulltext

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...tudy-1.4452710

https://www.ons.gov.uk/news/statemen...9complications
    Methods: An ongoing prospective, longitudinal, two-centre, observational study was performed in individuals symptomatic after recovery from acute SARS-CoV-2 infection. Symptoms and organ function (heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, pancreas, spleen) were assessed by standardised questionnaires (EQ-5D-5L, Dyspnoea-12), blood investigations and quantitative magnetic resonance imaging, defining single and multi-organ impairment by consensus definitions.
    Findings: Between April and September 2020, 201 individuals (mean age 44 years, 70% female, 87% white, 31% healthcare workers) completed assessments following SARS-CoV-2 infection (median 140, IQR 105-160 days after initial symptoms). The prevalence of pre-existing conditions (obesity: 20%, hypertension: 6%; diabetes: 2%; heart 58 disease: 4%) was low, and only 18% of individuals had been hospitalised with COVID-19.
    Fatigue (98%), muscle aches (88%), breathlessness (87%), and headaches (83%) were the 60 most frequently reported symptoms. Ongoing cardiorespiratory (92%) and gastrointestinal (73%) symptoms were common, and 42% of individuals had ten or more symptoms.
    There was evidence of mild organ impairment in heart (32%), lungs (33%), kidneys (12%), liver (10%), pancreas (17%), and spleen (6%). Single (66%) and multi-organ (25%) impairment was observed, and was significantly associated with risk of prior COVID-19 65 hospitalisation (p<0.05).

Interpretation: In a young, low-risk population with ongoing symptoms, almost 70% of individuals have impairment in one or more organs four months after initial symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection. There are implications not only for burden of long COVID but also public health approaches which have assumed low risk in young people with no comorbidities.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...555v1.full.pdf

My wife had to go for a test in Galway this afternoon. Asthma symptoms however the doc wanted her to go for a test just in case. From calling the GP for repeat prescription until completing the test took an 1 hour 20 minutes. Zero queue at the test centre. She was there back in October and queued for 45 minutes at the same time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Can you provide evidence please? More . Lots more is incredibly vague.

I can't speak for the stats mentioned above, but I would be included in the group. As someone who wouldn't be close to being in an at risk group, maybe it's an outlier, maybe not. We'll likely know lots more either way over the coming months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lastly to deal with your first few sentences, they are far too many of us. The world's resources are finite, at some stage the population will tip nature over. Viruses such as what we are dealing with will become more common the more we encroach on nature. Only at some stage we will encounter one which will be fatal to the majority.

I know of 3 people now that are suffering from Long Covid, none of them were hospitalised with covid. 2 had mild symptoms and one had none at all. All 3 no underlying conditions and non smokers etc, now suffering from breathing problems nearly 8-12 months after covid positive results.

I can't speak for the stats mentioned above, but I would be included in the group. As someone who wouldn't be close to being in an at risk group, maybe it's an outlier, maybe not. We'll likely know lots more either way over the coming months.

No mention of international cocaine cartel leader as a risk factor however

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Kimbot wrote: »
    I know of 3 people now that are suffering from Long Covid, none of them were hospitalised with covid. 2 had mild symptoms and one had none at all. All 3 no underlying conditions and non smokers etc, now suffering from breathing problems nearly 8-12 months after covid positive results.

I know of around 20 people who got covid.

All are fine. No problems 8-12 months later.

• Advertisement

Kimbot wrote: »

I don't know of any, so what does that prove? I know of a few work colleagues who contracted the virus and one neighbour .All full recovery no issues. I guess those I know are lucky or those you know are outliers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement