Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I don't know any, so what does that prove?

It's anecdotal evidence which backs up the studies done.

I know multiple people with long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

It's anecdotal evidence which backs up the studies done.

I know multiple people with long covid.

Yes because thats how science and proof works.

The study had what 200 people in it???

So an enecdote backed up by a ****ty study = proof??

Come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

big syke wrote: »
    Yes because thats how science and proof works.

So an enecdote backed up by a ****ty study = proof??

Come on.

It's amazing post viral symptoms are now a new thing.

Yes because thats how science works.

Come on.

Which study are you talking about?

Below is one that's fairly sizeable from the UK ONS. Quite a few more than 200 people involved.

It's ongoing, but the preliminary findings in November were that there were "around 186,000 people in private households in England were living with symptoms that had persisted for between 5 and 12 weeks".

Ultimately the stats they're finding are:
    • Around 1 in 5 respondents testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 5 weeks or longer
    • Around 1 in 10 respondents testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 12 weeks or longer

If it pans out similarly for us, then of the roughly 205,000 people we've tested to date 20,500 people will have long covid.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/news/statementsandletters/theprevalenceoflongcovidsymptomsandcovid19complications

Post viral symptoms on this scale are a brand new thing for us.

You still understand so little, given how much time you spend talking about this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I know of around 20 people who got covid.

All are fine. No problems 8-12 months later.

And for everybody that tested positive for Covid, there are multiples that had it and didn't know or were just a little bit unwell for a couple of days and thought nothing of it.

They surveyed the people who had the worst of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It is not new as a phenomenon. You know we know that.

But it is a new post viral subset within the already existing set of post viral illnesses.

It is an extra burden upon the health of the species from a new virus. EXTRA being the word you might frown at when reading, if inclined.

And for everybody that tested positive for Covid, there are multiples that had it and didn't know or were just a little bit unwell for a couple of days and thought nothing of it.

They surveyed the people who had the worst of it

You must not have read the articles I linked. The people surveyed are often NOT the people who had the worst of it. OFTEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭billyhead

Being overweight and not looking after yourself prior to Covid doesn't help if you catch it. Hopefully people will start living s healthier lifestyle when we're out of this mess and it's a wake up call for those who got the virus, were overweight, had a bad reaction and recovered.

Below is one that's fairly sizeable from the UK ONS. Quite a few more than 200 people involved.

It's ongoing, but the preliminary findings in November were that there were "around 186,000 people in private households in England were living with symptoms that had persisted for between 5 and 12 weeks".

• Around 1 in 5 respondents testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 5 weeks or longer
    • Around 1 in 10 respondents testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 12 weeks or longer

If it pans out similarly for us, then of the roughly 205,000 people we've tested to date 20,500 people will have long covid.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/news/statementsandletters/theprevalenceoflongcovidsymptomsandcovid19complications

That is an estimated study using experimental results.

Did you even read it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Again that study compare hospitalised COVID patients vs a control group...

and also relies on people completing questionnaires-

people that have no after effects will not complete questionnaires - unless its a random population sample we really don't know how long covid impacts the broader population...

There is significant evidence that it is a big issue for people hospitalised with Covid...

Investigating COVID-19 complications
    This research strand aims to characterise the nature of complications following COVID-19 infection and diagnosis using linked primary care and hospital records, national COVID-19 testing data, death registrations, and data from the 2011 Census of England and Wales.

To date, we have analysed the healthcare records of patients in hospital with COVID-19 until the end of August 2020. We have compared the rates of adverse events experienced by these patients (until the end of September 2020) with those of a group of matched control patients; that is, patients similar to those in hospital with COVID-19 in terms of their demographic and clinical characteristics, but who themselves have not been in hospital with COVID-19. Full results can be found in Tables 4 and 5 of the accompanying data tables. In summary:

patients in hospital with COVID-19 experienced elevated rates of metabolic, cardiovascular, kidney and liver disease compared with patients of similar demographic and clinical profiles over the same period

the rates of diabetes and cardiovascular disease were particularly pronounced at: 179 and 112 per 1,000 patient-years, respectively, among patients in critical care; and 131 and 162 per 1,000 patient-years, respectively, among patients outside of critical care

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It is not new as a phenomenon. You know we know that.

But it is a new post viral subset within the already existing set of post viral illnesses.

It is an extra burden upon the health of the species from a new virus. EXTRA being the word you might frown at when reading, if inclined.

I would view it as a wake-up call to address ones health that if unfortunate enough to contract the virus symptoms may be mild. The UK last year realeased figures that in excess of 40% of ICU that was occupied by Covid patients were obsese.
    Why frown? Covid is going nowhere so it's vaccination all the way and Covid becomes a background illness that afflicts us the in same manner as many others do. Some suffer, some don't.
    Commenting here as good for the mind to release as it may be doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for President Biden if people are suggesting the result of the Taoiseach politely declining an invitation to meet him on the grounds he, the Taoiseach, is criminalising people at home for travelling more than 6500 steps from their homes would be President Biden taking revenge including a deterioration in diplomatic relations and the cancellation of the St Patrick's Day invitation.

On the contrary, I would suggest that President Biden's reaction to "I'm very sorry, but my country is in the twelfth week of the six weeks of house arrest I ordered, with a further six weeks of it left and it would not be appropriate to leave the country at this time", would be "of course, I understand completely".

Micheál Martin is not going to the United States as Taoiseach to save Ireland's relationship with Washington, or to build a relationship with President Biden.

Micheál Martin is going to the United States as Taoiseach because Micheál Martin wants to go to the United States.

Micheál Martin wants to go to the United States as Taoiseach because he knows he - the worst Taoiseach in the history of the State - will never get another opportunity to do so.

And if Micheál Martin goes to the United States for a meeting which could quite easily be done over Zoom, public adherence to his restrictions will have crumbled by the time the Six One airs.

He put being a good European above getting Ireland through the pandemic. And now he's putting a photograph for his mantlepiece ahead of the country. What an awful man.
    The country was falling apart financially, the government was on the point of collapse and the state was struggling to cope. This forced Cowen into cancelling his trip to China. You might think a foreign government might understand these domestic pressures preventing a leader travelling but they didn't. Ireland China relations suffered for a few years afterwards. People in the States will be annoyed that they made time for this in their diary for something that doesn't occur.

As for adherence to the regulations collapsing if there is a trip. That won't happen. What will happen is that those that aren't adhering anyway to them will be emboldened to brag and boast on Facebook/Twitter/boards about how they don't care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

I would view it as a wake-up call to address ones health that if unfortunate enough to contract the virus symptoms may be mild. The UK last year realeased figures that in excess of 40% of ICU that was occupied by Covid patients were obsese.

Worth pointing out that NHS state that 25% of UK residents are obese

Why frown? Covid is going nowhere so it's vaccination all the way and Covid becomes a background illness that afflicts us the in same manner as many others do. Some suffer, some don't.
    Commenting here as good for the mind to release as it may be doesn't change that.

One woman I listened to yesterday on the radio speaking of her long covid symptoms had run marathons prior to a mild enough dose.

As for 40% of people in hospital with Covid being obese, 67% of males in the Uk and 60% of females are overweight or obese. Obese specifically is 28% plus. What would be surprising would be if the figure in hospital was lower than background levels.

One woman I listened to yesterday on the radio speaking of her long covid symptoms had run marathons prior to a mild enough dose.

I'm a member of the MCI we have several members who 'run' marathons but will freely admit they are also obese.

A person who had covid and now still runs marathons perfectly fine would not make interesting listening would it.

Again that study compare hospitalised COVID patients vs a control group...

and also relies on people completing questionnaires-

people that have no after effects will not complete questionnaires - unless its a random population sample we really don't know how long covid impacts the broader population...

There is significant evidence that it is a big issue for people hospitalised with Covid...

Investigating COVID-19 complications
    This research strand aims to characterise the nature of complications following COVID-19 infection and diagnosis using linked primary care and hospital records, national COVID-19 testing data, death registrations, and data from the 2011 Census of England and Wales.

To date, we have analysed the healthcare records of patients in hospital with COVID-19 until the end of August 2020. We have compared the rates of adverse events experienced by these patients (until the end of September 2020) with those of a group of matched control patients; that is, patients similar to those in hospital with COVID-19 in terms of their demographic and clinical characteristics, but who themselves have not been in hospital with COVID-19. Full results can be found in Tables 4 and 5 of the accompanying data tables. In summary:

patients in hospital with COVID-19 experienced elevated rates of metabolic, cardiovascular, kidney and liver disease compared with patients of similar demographic and clinical profiles over the same period

the rates of diabetes and cardiovascular disease were particularly pronounced at: 179 and 112 per 1,000 patient-years, respectively, among patients in critical care; and 131 and 162 per 1,000 patient-years, respectively, among patients outside of critical care

It must be a wild feeling to think you know better than the ONS

I'm a member of the MCI we have several members who 'run' marathons but will freely admit they are also obese.

Well, I must admit that's a new one on me. Obese people running marathons. Forget that cardio slog - weights all the way, I say.

It is actually you who he/she thinks and actually knows better than. Its how the data is being misrepresented that is the issue.

And also what makes the office for national statistics such a higher authority that you scoff at someone questioning them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, I must admit that's a new one on me. Obese people running marathons. Forget that cardio slog - weights all the way, I say.
    Obese is a BMI of 30 and one can still move at that level!

It is actually you who he thinks and actually knows better than. Its how the data is being misrepresented.

And also what makes the office for national statistics such a higher authority that you scoff at someone questioning them??

An organisation with thousands of highly qualified statisticians working for them, who inform the UK gov's response to the crisis.

vs

Some anonymous person on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

you didn't even read the study... get called out that part of the data is from hospitalized patients the other part of it is estimated and then you revert to accusing people of knowing better than the ONS - when you're the one taking the study out of context...

The country was falling apart financially, the government was on the point of collapse and the state was struggling to cope. This forced Cowen into cancelling his trip to China. You might think a foreign government might understand these domestic pressures preventing a leader travelling but they didn't. Ireland China relations suffered for a few years afterwards.

Ah yeah, you're right enough. Who can forget President Hu Jintao travelling around China and Ireland proclaiming how Irish he was. "The most Irish president since Li Xiannian", some called him.

The Taoiseach says he's "going to get vaccinated" for the trip.

Has he identified exactly which of our vulnerable people is going to have to be put down the list so he can get his photo taken with President Biden?

Can we all "go to get vaccinated" now?

Or is it "house arrest for you; vaccination and foreign trip for me"?

A person who had covid and now still runs marathons perfectly fine would not make interesting listening would it.

It would. Top sports people have had covid and gone back to excel at their sports. But what you are using is an appeal to extremes logical fallacy, and also/or a strawman argument, because I never ever said ALL, or even MOST. In fact if you read what I have said it would say up to 90% of people are just fine after Covid. That does not negate the reality of an extra unwelcome burden of morbidity on the species from long covid happening to a certain percentage.

An organisation with thousands of highly qualified statisticians working for them, who inform the UK gov's response to the crisis.

vs

Some anonymous person on the internet

The OP didnt question the stats only how you misrepresent them.

It may be new to you but I suggest you look at some of the finishers at what is termed 'back of the pack ' at the next major marathon you see televised. I have paced the Manchester marathon several times, seeing obese runners is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Long covid will be the perfect excuse for people to go long term sick when everyone is back to work. It's the dream excuse they have been waiting for. I'm sure some are suffering bit we all know it will be wildly exaggerated.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Obese is a BMI of 30 and one can still move at that level!

Moving and running marathons are not comparable realities. I know people can move at BMI 30. I would have imagined, however, that running marathons aught to shift some weight. I am just surprised as it is not something I have heard about before. But then again I and marathons will never meet because I don't enjoy running around the place.

• Advertisement

you didn't even read the study... get called out that part of the data is from hospitalized patients the other part of it is estimated and then you revert to accusing people of knowing better than the ONS - when you're the one taking the study out of context...

I did read it.

I just didn't engage with your nonsense.

What are your qualifications?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement