Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It would. Top sports people have had covid and gone back to excel at their sports. But what you are using is an appeal to extremes logical fallacy, and also/or a strawman argument, because I never ever said ALL, or even MOST. In fact if you read what I have said it would say up to 90% of people are just fine after Covid. That does not negate the reality of an extra unwelcome burden of morbidity on the species from long covid happening to a certain percentage.

Your 10% represnet over 11 million worldwide at a very minimum th9is is just not true.

The healthcare systems would not be able to cope with that volume of long covid if it is that severe.

And what defines long covid? 12 weeks? 13 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Moving and running marathons are not comparable realities. I know people can move at BMI 30. I would have imagined, however, that running marathons aught to shift some weight. I am just surprised as it is not something I have heard about before. But then again I and marathons will never meet because I don't enjoy running around the place.
    I know people who have walked and run them, a few on the bigger side. They can do it, mind over matter literally!

I did read it.

I just didn't engage with your nonsense.

What are your qualifications?

Like are you actually serious?

It is nonsense beacause it proves you are talking absolute tripe.

What are your qualifications and why does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

big syke wrote: »
    Your 10% represnet over 11 million worldwide at a very minimum th9is is just not true.

The healthcare systems would not be able to cope with that volume of long covid if it is that severe.

And what defines long covid? 12 weeks? 13 weeks?

You will just have to take this matter up with the actual doctors and medics starting long covid clinics all over the world in response to the factual existence of increasing issues in this regard.

But now I have reached my boredom threshold for arguing with anonymous online expert epidemiologists, so as you were..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ficheall wrote: »
    There might be some benefit to the trip other years, and maybe Trump would have taken lack of attendance as a snub, because he was a self-centred idiot who didn't recognise covid as a problem - but I think it's safe to credit Biden with the empathy to understand why no one, especially leaders of a country, should be travelling for a photo op. This "networking" is in the same league as Golfgate was, except with notice that it was going to happen.

Likely that had Trump been in power, and allowed the visit, he would have been pillorised for disregarding Covid. If he had stopped the visit they would have accused him of unnecessarily snubbing Ireland instead of arranging a meeting with safety protocols in place.

With Biden, they won't say anything if he allows the visit to go ahead, and will applaud him if he stops it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

big syke wrote: »
    Like are you actually serious?

It is nonsense beacause it proves you are talking absolute tripe.

What are your qualifications and why does it matter?

I'm not the one questioning the ONS's methods or results.

I wouldn't dream of it. I'm not qualified to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭political analyst

Does Micheál Martin have no empathy with people who are suffering because of the lockdown because of mental health problems or loss of livelihood or both?

Given that he is a bereaved parent, his stance is difficult to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Well, I must admit that's a new one on me. Obese people running marathons. Forget that cardio slog - weights all the way, I say.

Super-obese men LOVE running.

Does Micheál Martin have no empathy with people who are suffering because of the lockdown because of mental health problems or loss of livelihood or both?

Eh, what's he done now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why are our hospitals not full with long covid patients right now. If they were rte would be all over it.

• Advertisement

It's what Nphet want, nothing to do with the government anymore. They are cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why are our hospitals not full with long covid patients right now. If they were rte would be all over it.

It generally doesn't require hospitalisation. There's very little that they can do for them. In fact most will never been hospitalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭political analyst

is_that_so wrote: »
    Eh, what's he done now?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0211/1196423-politics-covid-restrictions/
    Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said the Government is looking at a continuation of a high level of restrictions to the Easter period.

He said that remains to be determined by Government, which is revising the Living with Covid Plan, adding that the week commencing 20 February will bring clarity.

Easter Sunday falls on 4 April this year.

The Taoiseach said the RTÉ Investigates programme this week revealed the extraordinary pressures faced by healthcare staff during the third wave of the pandemic and those pressures have to be relieved.

"We don't want that situation happening again in our hospitals," he said.

Moving to Level 4 in March would not make the situation any worse than it is at the moment.

Why does the government not have as much concern for small-business owners now as it did for farmers during the foot-and-mouth outbreak?

It generally doesn't require hospitalisation. There's very little that they can do for them. In fact most will never been hospitalised.

How do you know this? Are you an expert and what are your qualifications?

How do we know this for a disease only a year old. Well at least we don't need to worry about it overwhelming our hospital system.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0211/1196423-politics-covid-restrictions/

Moving to Level 4 in March would not make the situation any worse than it is at the moment.

Why does the government not have as much concern for small-business owners now as it did for farmers during the foot-and-mouth outbreak?
    Ah that. Sure he has no idea but he doesn't want us to get ideas, now. We'll see in March!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 acork

Eh, what's he done now?

Just one of them announcements: "Don't plan your life until 2022, maybe.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm sure whoever is paying Kit Yates wages believes they are getting value for money.
    A can of 'Covid Zero'.

He is certainly giving every indication that he is thoroughly enjoying the power to rule by decree.

It's very hard, when given the power over every aspect over people's lives, to relinquish that power. It's now clear that power has gone to his head, and he and his only real friend within FF - the Minister for Health - are egging each other on to be ever more extreme, knowing neither of them will ever have to face the electorate again.

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And a Taoiseach ruling by decree who has sidelined our elected Dáil has absolute power.

Someone within FF has to end this madness. It's clear the Taoiseach has lost the run of himself.

But more: lessons have to be learned from this. We have to amend the Constitution so that any Government which takes upon itself the right to rule by decree without going through Dáil Éireann has to call a General Election within a year.

Micheál Martin is finished. It's not about him any more. We can never allow one single man to take it upon himself to make every single social, health and economic decision in the State again.

• Advertisement

b0nk1e wrote: »
    But more: lessons have to be learned from this. We have to amend the Constitution so that any Government which takes upon itself the right to rule by decree without going through Dáil Éireann has to call a General Election within a year.
    No, we're covered there already and it was 5 months! If there is no possibility of agreement the Taoiseach goes to the Aras with a request to have another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Why are our hospitals not full with long covid patients right now.

8,000 people in Ireland have MS why aren't the hospitals full with MS patients right now?

(Insert any chronic illness into the above question.)

Let's see how many various waiting lists for appointments and scans long covid patients take up before being so dismissive.

Even if long covid affects a fraction of a percentage of the population it is an EXTRA burden on health care. The greater the amount of people affected the greater that burden will be.

Hopefully it'll be minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Ah yeah, you're right enough. Who can forget President Hu Jintao travelling around China and Ireland proclaiming how Irish he was. "The most Irish president since Li Xiannian", some called him.

The Taoiseach says he's "going to get vaccinated" for the trip.

Has he identified exactly which of our vulnerable people is going to have to be put down the list so he can get his photo taken with President Biden?

Can we all "go to get vaccinated" now?

Or is it "house arrest for you; vaccination and foreign trip for me"?

There is no one under house arrest you clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How do we know this for a disease only a year old. Well at least we don't need to worry about it overwhelming our hospital system.

You really have no idea of our health care systems work do you? I actually envy you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Calling a poster names adds what to the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

52 deaths

866 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

But then we're not a million miles away from it either. Since there is nothing and no one you're supposed to go to. Except for Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Benimar wrote: »
    52 deaths

866 cases

RIP

Decent case numbers for a Thursday

We're making progress with cases so far this week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Calling a poster names adds what to the discussion?
    It adds clarity, that ridiculous hyperbole will be called out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement