Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The UK PM is saying they made need booster jabs in the autumn for variants.

If the jabs do not work, it's game over. It's herd immunity time. All out survival of the fittest.

We are in a war. And at some stage you have to abandon the city leaving the weak behind. Even Stalin had a plan for abandoning Moscow during Operation Barbarossa. And he wasn't bringing the babushkas to the urals with him.

Some Mathematician said you could fit all of the Coronavirus in one can of coke, that can of coke is responsible for a sh1t ton of mad fookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Question - if you receive one vaccine, say Astra, could another one of them be given to you without ill effects or would they contradict each other in some way.
    More likely that they complement each other. They're doing research at the moment to see if, say, a dose of AZ followed by a dose of Pfizer (instead of the second AZ) will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Turtwig wrote: »
    Dafuq did I just read?

Very odd to hear somebody talking about a virus killing off 'the weak' with such interest, vigour and gusto. You'd think we were some pack of animals, just barely making it by, badly dragged down by those weaklings

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Turtwig wrote: »
    Dafuq did I just read?

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Considering Stalin was responsible for the deaths of more of his people than the German invaders I wouldn't use him as an example. He was an equal opportunity killer. Weak, strong, old or young it didn't matter.

It was the only way they could have won the war. Sending waves and waves of people into Stalingrad, 3 men to a gun.

If the defense of the vaccine fails, Stalingrad has been taken. And there's only one way to take it back. Commence Operation Uranus.

• Advertisement

It was the only way they could have won the war. Sending waves and waves of people into Stalingrad, 3 men to a gun.

If the defense of the vaccine fails, Stalingrad has been taken. And there's only one way to take it back. Commence Operation Uranus.

You’re definitely talking through Uranus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

You are dying for a bit of that action for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

If the jabs do not work, it's game over. It's herd immunity time. All out survival of the fittest.

We are in a war. And at some stage you have to abandon the city leaving the weak behind. Even Stalin had a plan for abandoning Moscow during Operation Barbarossa. And he wasn't bringing the babushkas to the urals with him.

Uhh-What_de268.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Commence Operation Uranus.

I believe that's the name the Chinese are using for their new Covid anal test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I think we should be vaccinating the elderly and letting them reclaim the streets for a few months while we all hunker down.

Let them do their jive bopping or whatever the **** they were into one last time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Fair play to Lucinda

https://twitter.com/lcreighton/status/1359974097862729728?s=21

I did note one post there which referred to risk being reduced by 80% when that core 16% of population is vaccinated. Really makes one ask why we still have major restrictions post mid May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

More and more people in the mainstream are putting the feelers out to gauge public reaction. The tide is turning.

Fair play to Lucinda

I did note one post there which referred to risk being reduced by 80% when that core 16% of population is vaccinated. Really makes one ask why we still have major restrictions post mid May?

I heard Varadkar mention a possibility of a fourth lockdown earlier. You would have to wonder what's the game being played when a critical mass is vaccinated.
    It will be very difficult to keep restrictions in force at that juncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I quite enjoyed this analogy sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/rté-investigates-covid-19-the-third-wave/182973991973

Just off the phone to my folks back in Ireland (I live in Canada), and my Da said to watch the Covid-19 documentary that was on RTE this week...just watching it now, really terrifying. Really really terrifying. I struggle lately with anxiety about the worry of my parents (72 and 65) getting sick and them ending up in an ICU like this.

Seeing it in its raw form like this documentary, it really is scary.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/rté-investigates-covid-19-the-third-wave/182973991973

Just off the phone to my folks back in Ireland (I live in Canada), and my Da said to watch the Covid-19 documentary that was on RTE this week...just watching it now, really terrifying. Really really terrifying. I struggle lately with anxiety about the worry of my parents (72 and 65) getting sick and them ending up in an ICU like this.

I assume your parents know you suffer with anxiety and yet your father advised you to watch a programme with one of its goals to scare the **** out of people to comply with restrictions. Can't say it's advice I would give either of my son's , particularly if I knew they suffered from anxiety. I guess everyone is different.

There’s this new anti anxiety pill, it’s called ‘avoid RTÉ at all times’ a prolonged dose of that and you and your folks be will be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Fair play to Lucinda

A look into crystal ball should clear all the doubts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Renjit wrote: »
    A look into crystal ball should clear all the doubts :pac:

Indeed. But currently the Government’s
    messaging is as clear as mud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

More and more people in the mainstream are putting the feelers out to gauge public reaction. The tide is turning.

The current restrictions on travel were what was needed back in March 2020, it's too much now too late now, people wondering why it's being brought in now when we have the vaccines. Having such a simple control as having every single person arriving in to the country needing a negative test would have saved so many lives.

Once the vulnerable groups have been vaccinated and deaths stay at single figures there will be civil unrest unfolding if they think people will take these controls then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

Fair play to Lucinda

It is like a strange game is being played now.
    Possibly it is an 'under-promise and over-deliver' type strategy they are going for.
    Problem is that they have used this tactic a few times over the last year and now it just feels like psychological abuse on a national scale.
    Sometimes it seems like they are just trying to break us.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

bloopy wrote: »
    Possibly it is an 'under-promise and over-deliver' type strategy they are going for.

I've thought this myself. Presumably they don't want to be in a position to open up the country only to have to instigate yet another lockdown.

It's a tough balancing act, as seen over Christmas. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I've thought this myself. Presumably they don't want to be in a position to open up the country only to have to instigate yet another lockdown.

It's a tough balancing act, as seen over Christmas. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I don't get this though, if we have to lockdown again we will do it. How is staying in permanent lock down any better than opening up a small bit and then locking down again if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

bloopy wrote: »
    It is like a strange game is being played now.
    Problem is that they have used this tactic a few times over the last year and now it just feels like psychological abuse on a national scale.
    Sometimes it seems like they are just trying to break us.

It's sickening that they are actually playing games with us over this

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

niallo27 wrote: »
    I don't get this though, if we have to lockdown again we will do it. How is staying in permanent lock down any better than opening up a small bit and then locking down again if needed.

Neither is ideal, and I'd imagine we'll only be able to see what the best approach is in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

Irish Times is now reporting likely full level 5 until May, this is now worse than last year. Losing hope here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Fair play to Lucinda

I think it's managing expectations.
    Even the UK government are saying don't plan staycations, let alone holidays this year, despite a speedy rollout in vaccinations.
    Israel only this week eased restrictions despite having over 25% of the population fully vaccinated (2 doses).
    Australia and NZ both plan to keep their borders closed until 2022.

But when Ireland is slow to reopen, it's all the governments fault.
    Even when they reopened parts of the economy before Christmas, that was all the governments fault.

Stay closed and cases are low, government are too slow.
    Open up and we get a spike, government are to blame.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The IT are reporting that we will exit Level 5 after 4 weeks of cases being less than 100.

That's even more strict than the ridiculously conservative approach taken in 2020, where we had to wait for cases to drop below 100 for construction to open and hardware stores to open (at that people were calling such events superspreader events on this forum).

Quite the U turn from opening pubs at 250 cases in December and then giving 3 weeks of nationwide virus transmission before Christmas dinner.

Somebody smells the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

marno21 wrote: »
    The IT are reporting that we will exit Level 5 after 4 weeks of cases being less than 100.

That's even more strict than the ridiculously conservative approach taken in 2020, where we had to wait for cases to drop below 100 for construction to open and hardware stores to open (at that people were calling such events superspreader events on this forum).

Quite the U turn from opening pubs at 250 cases in December and then giving 3 weeks of nationwide virus transmission before Christmas dinner.

Somebody smells the fear.

So because the IT says it, it's true?
    Lord knows they wouldn't sell papers if they didn't bull**** the headlines.
    Let me guess, some unnamed government source?

People need to stop focusing on certain figures. You could have less than 100 cases for 4 weeks, but still over 100 in ICU, which would be too much to open with.

Same for the R0. You don't just nail a figure on that.
    4 weeks at R0.4 is better than 3 weeks of R0.2 and then the 4th week at R0.3.
    The first means it's stable, the latter means it's growing.

I'm sick to death of people and mainly journalists asking for a specific figure when it's safe to open up. For the journalists, Covid is the biggest show in town, so after a year, read up on it and figure out ****, so you're not asking the same lame questions time after time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,760 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The virus, isn’t crawling in under doors, down chimneys or through your cars air conditioning system as you go for your essential shopping.

The same people pissing and moaning about restrictions are the same people practicing unsafe, unhealthy behaviors repeatedly and systematically, hence the requirement for these measures...

Faster people cop on and behave, the less we’ll be restricted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement