Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

magoo84 wrote: »
    I may have missed the answer to this elsewhere, but Eamon Ryan was asked a question about what's stopping someone getting on a plane to the Canaries, and he dodged it, going back to the restrictions on incoming travel. Are the guards fining people €100 if caught? Not sure that it is enough of a deterrent.

He did dodge it. And also waffled about the 2 week quarantine law in the next question. Then further waffle about eu policy and how important europe is.

It's pretty obvious where his loyalty lies. Certainly not with the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

is_that_so wrote: »
    You seem to imagine I said that, I didn't. I said we can deal with 100-200 cases a day. Add in the vaccinations and a health system far less under pressure it's manageable.

You're suggesting that we'll be able to manage at 100-200 cases a day.

What makes you think it won't eventually become 300, 400, 500 cases a day like literally every other time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Does Donnelly think we don't risk new variants as is? What's he on about?

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354118473748795393

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Oh I agree, but she was doing *some* signing while he was speaking, so maybe she was signing as much as she could understand from whatever level of Irish she has, even though it may not be required. I was just curious!

It’s been great so see the signers during this. It would be great if basic sign language was taught in schools so more of us would have it. With mask wearing, it’s been a hard time for those who have hearing difficulties.

In theory a good idea but if you're not using it in some way regularly you will forget it and lose it. I know people who went and learned sign language and then lost it as they had no opportunity to use it. Just like most things, it doesn't work if done in isolation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Eod100 wrote: »

So why continue to pursue this stupid strategy, if new strains can change things anyway and herd immunity might not be achieved, will take another year to vaccinate, etc.

So why not at least ensure we can open up our island to our own citizens then so at least we can all thrive here. If we sealed the boarders, we'd be able to aggressively trace and test and better eliminate threats.

We are basically being told we're going to live like this for the absolute foreseeable. It's just not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Does anyone remember how in the early days of Covid 19 the government was actually puting up warning signs asking people NOT to wear masks?

Nothing to do about supply and nonsense like that, but they were arguing how wearing face masks was actually dangerous for your health?

Let alone being kept on as elected officials, how are these people not in prison? Like what is going on here? And how are we allowing ourselves to be ruled by such utter incompetent beings?

I guess we deserve this misery. Myself included. I don't know what to do anymore. We are ruled by literal idiots, and we do nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

D.Q wrote: »
    He really is everything that's wrong with Irish politicians.

Uninspiring, parochial buffoon. Incompetent and spineless, completely lacking any semblance of leadership.

At least Leo has the good grace to dress up his failings. Martin has the constant air of a substitute teacher that has lost control of the class.

I laughed at substitute teacher, that is exactly what he is like including the dress code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Listening to Virgin News.. God they're rivalling RTE for doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Oh I agree, but she was doing *some* signing while he was speaking, so maybe she was signing as much as she could understand from whatever level of Irish she has, even though it may not be required. I was just curious!

It’s been great so see the signers during this. It would be great if basic sign language was taught in schools so more of us would have it. With mask wearing, it’s been a hard time for those who have hearing difficulties.

I doubt that. Its more likely she was completing the translation from English and occasionally signing 'The taoiseach is speaking in Irish now' .or something along those lines. It would be very tough indeed to translate from Irish to English in your head and then from Englsh to sign. I actually dont know if there are any official ISL interpretersfrom Irish to Sign. Would be interesting to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So all this effort with vaccinations will be worthless soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Stateofyou wrote: »
    So why continue to pursue this stupid strategy, if new strains can change things anyway and herd immunity might not be achieved, will take another year to vaccinate, etc.

So why not at least ensure we can open up our island to our own citizens then so at least we can all thrive here. If we sealed the boarders, we'd be able to aggressively trace and test and better eliminate threats.

We are basically being told we're going to live like this for the absolute foreseeable. It's just not good enough.

To be fair..we are not being told this. The tanaiste said that come April or May with low numbers, critical mass vaccinated we will be in a different place and could see hospitality opened.
    This isn't like opening up the other times...there are vaccines out there. 50% of deaths come from nursing homes so that's 50% of deaths cut out as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Or we may end up in full blown riots like it is happening all over Netherlands for a third day now. Spreading to more and more cities there it seems Dutch have lost appetite for restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

The mandatory quarantine for SA and Brazil won't happen for weeks, if not months.

Action has to be immediate to be of any use

Probably looking at a different variant next month

This thread is very quiet today, usually way busier and especially too when the government is making a new announcement, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Bout to actually lose my ever loving ****.

"Taoiseach:

Sometimes people put forward the idea that we can seal the border, we can’t, one cannot seal the border…. Anyone who lives along the border will tell you this, it’s not as simple as putting a kind of seal on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic, it’s seamless interaction."

Oh. Oh ok.

Well some people put forward the idea that you can seal up literally the entire country, destroy the economy completely, destroy people's livelihoods, destroy their mental health, destroy any and all semblance of life, and all for nothing even remotely resembling a long-term plan....and you CAN do that?

You CAN'T walk as far as Tesco, but you CAN walk to the moon?

WHAT. THE. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Ha, what nonsense. Sure we may as well lock down for ever then in case a new infectious disease we don’t know about could be imported!

Once the vaccinations start having an affect, travel will begin to reopen per the EU traffic light travel system which they are signed up to. Ok by ‘free’ travel, he probably means visa free, test free non-EU travel which probably will be into 2022 before that happens but they should really be more clear in their communication. Can’t be good for morale (or what’s left of it) for those in the Aviation, travel and tourism industry. Also disappointing that they have not announced further support measures for these industries given the direct affect of today’s decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Arduach wrote: »

In fairness this is probably the most pessimistic day so far . Our leaders are saying there is no way out of this .

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1354117634615291905?s=20

That was the worst, most incoherent and frustrating load of waffle yet. And that's saying something.

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas. A problem for every solution, they will do literally anything but actually act to take control of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Arduach wrote: »

I just caught a bit of it there. It’d make you take the drink. I also find the opposition parties trying to score points off this a bit unseemly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I just caught a bit of it there. It’d make you take the drink. I also find the opposition parties trying to score points off this a bit unseemly.

When Richard Boyd Barrett and Tomas Ryan are being taken credibly then it’s time to worry.

• Advertisement

The_Brood wrote: »
    Bout to actually lose my ever loving ****.

"Taoiseach:

Sometimes people put forward the idea that we can seal the border, we can’t, one cannot seal the border…. Anyone who lives along the border will tell you this, it’s not as simple as putting a kind of seal on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic, it’s seamless interaction."

Oh. Oh ok.

Well some people put forward the idea that you can seal up literally the entire country, destroy the economy completely, destroy people's livelihoods, destroy their mental health, destroy any and all semblance of life, and all for nothing even remotely resembling a long-term plan....and you CAN do that?

You CAN'T walk as far as Tesco, but you CAN walk to the moon?

WHAT. THE. ****.
    Absolutely

It's not a good enough reason to do NOTHING.

You can't just do nothing because trying to do something might be difficult.

I want to bang my head off the wall until I'm actually unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Embarrassing having these lads running the show.

Absolute gloom lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

In fairness this is probably the most pessimistic day so far . Our leaders are saying there is no way out of this .

Exactly - that press conference was shocking. Leo was talking about getting cases down to a few hundred in a few weeks, vaccinating the 70% by September but no travel for maybe a year at least. What changes in a year???

So in terms of schools! Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed!

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Leo saying even with EVERYONE vaccinated in September, we can’t assume herd immunity and probably won’t allow travel to Ireland for Christmas

So basically saying this will never end?

Any more messaging like that and the government will completely lose the people.

Were schools even mentioned in any meaningful way with any detail?

Phased reopening from February was all I heard. Unworkable waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

JP100 wrote: »
    This thread is shockingly quiet today, usually way busier and especially too when government making a new announcement, etc.

Could it be that people are feed up over this whole mess with the virus ? I just about barely check the numbers for my home county any more. You’d Become completely feed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know it was in response to another question, but Donnelly's responses unintentional result was to make another argument in favour of quarantining people.

So your big hope is vaccination: Yes.

But you can't guarantee total immunity, even after you've vaccinated everyone:

Well, no, there is a risk that other varients can get in that the vaccine isn't effective against.

We should probably put some system in place to mitigate that risk, just in case?:

...Eh...vaccines are the big hope... Eh..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Christ the government is selling an even gloomier 2021

Restrictions past September even when the country is mass vaccinated

No hospitality until June at the earliest no doubt until after the June Bank Holiday

There's dampening expectations and then there's giving people no hope and very little to look forward to

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Could it be that people are feed up over this whole mess with the virus ? I just about barely check the numbers for my home county any more. You’d Become completely feed up.

Understandable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement