Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is this person lying? Do you have any evidence?

Do you have evidence they're not lying? Is this person known to you? It's an entirely anecdotal post. I wouldn't believe a word out of any one party communist state, if you choose to that's your affair. Its a lovely place but not somewhere i'd expect openness from the authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Best to ignore WUM.

I'm still waiting for you to prove that the AZ vaccine works on the South Africa strain.

May be waiting a while.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,402 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm still waiting for you to prove that the AZ vaccine works on the South Africa strain.

Can you "prove" it doesn't?

Can anyone on here "prove" anything? Let's be honest here; every single poster is passing off other people's research

Do you have evidence they're not lying? Is this person known to you? It's an entirely anecdotal post. I wouldn't believe a word out of any one party communist state, if you choose to that's your affair. Its a lovely place but not somewhere i'd expect openness from the authorities

This is a bit bizarre. There is no evidence that the Covid situation in Vietnam is worse than reported, yet we have "prove they are not lying" being used as an argument.

Its like you want it not to work. In one discussion here you are being asked to prove the impossible re: Vietnam, and in another you are holding someone to the same impossible standard.

• Advertisement

This is a bit bizarre. There is no evidence that the Covid situation in Vietnam is worse than reported, yet we have "prove they are not lying" being used as an argument.

All i'm saying is that a one party communist state is not a reliable source of unbiased information.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

All indications are that Vietnam has suppressed the virus. I can't prove a negative.

I also can't understand all this doom and gloom around the countries who have managed to suppress the virus. It would almost make you think that these anti zero Covid people want to be living under restrictions within their border.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

UK 450,000 vaccinations yesterday alone

Ireland, less than half of that since time began

Embarrasingly slow in comparison to our nearest neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

AdsByGoogle is in Vietnam, haven't seen him post in a while.

All indications are that Vietnam has suppressed the virus. I can't prove a negative.

I also can't understand all this doom and gloom around the countries who have managed to suppress the virus. It would almost make you think that these anti zero Covid people want to be living under restrictions within their border.

Have you been to vietnam? I have. It's a totally different society, culture, government etc.. their ability to achieve zero covid is no indication of ours to do the same.

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »

Do you know of a warehouse full of vaccines we should have used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Supply is an issue, you cannot vaccinate with a vaccine that you don't have supplies of. We are reliant on the EU to secure supply. The UK went their own way, Brexit helped.

Supply is an issue, you cannot vaccinate with a vaccine that you don't have supplies of. We are reliant on the EU to secure supply. The UK went their own way, Brexit helped.

2021 hasn't been amazing for the EU PR wise on the island of Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

True, I am just stating the facts though. I am not seeking to apportion blame.

There is little doubt though because of the vaccine supply arrangements we have tied ourselves into, you have a significantly better chance of getting vaccinated earlier and avoiding severe disease if you live north of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Wow. When you discount supply, time-frame of first vaccine administered, vaccine approval timeline, population difference, and all other factors, yeah, it's embarrassingly different.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Wow. When you discount supply, time-frame of first vaccine administered, vaccine approval timeline, population difference, and all other factors, yeah, it's embarrassingly different.

This is the stuff that matters to Granny and Grandad alright.

They are all about bureaucratic propriety.

lawred2 wrote: »

Our government sacrificed Irish lives and civil rights to be seen as "good Europeans".

True, I am just stating the facts though. I am not seeking to apportion blame.

There is little doubt though because of the vaccine supply arrangements we have tied ourselves into, you have a significantly better chance of getting vaccinated earlier and avoiding severe disease if you live north of the border.

There is also a significant chance had we not been in the vaccine supply arrangements that we would currently be whistling in the dark as Germany or someone else used up all the available doses.

If everywhere had equal access to vaccines we would possibly have a fraction more completed. If it was free for all however, the disparity would be far worse than it is. The fact is, the EU is well behind US and UK, however, all EU countries have received the same chance to get their people vaccinated. Without the agreement some countries would have had none, possibly including us. 19 million people in the EU have got a vaccine. Only 160 million people worldwide.

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Our government sacrificed Irish lives and civil rights to be seen as "good Europeans".

This is just plain and simple nonsense. Its like people believe there are vaccines sitting on shelves waiting for a buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

This is the stuff that matters to Granny and Grandad alright.

They are all about bureaucratic propriety.

If you're going to compare Ireland to the UK, you cant discount all the those things.

• Advertisement

Sanjuro wrote: »
    If you're going to compare Ireland to the UK, you cant discount all the those things.

I'm not. I'm saying most people outside of niche forums and professional settings don't really care too much for technocratic minutiae when their health and livelihoods are on the line..

All they will see is a much further advanced vaccination program being carried out on one small part of this same small island.

I'm not. I'm saying most people outside of niche forums and professional settings don't really care too much for technocratic minutiae when their health and livelihoods are on the line..

All they will see is a much further advanced vaccination program being carried out on one small part of this same small island.

If we had got our fair share of global supply we would have had about 100,000 doses so far.
    It may be frustrating to see the UK surge ahead,, they are the outlier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

This is just plain and simple nonsense. Its like people believe there are vaccines sitting on shelves waiting for a buyer
    The idea that Ireland would have out-competed France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc. for vaccines is ludicrous. We are lucky they agreed to be part of a Europe-wide deal.

Just look at Canada for how it would probably have turned out.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/11/world/canada-vaccine-rollout-failure/index.html
    "The Canadian government thought it could pay to play in the global race to vaccinate its way back to normal life. But as its vaccine supply slowed to a trickle in February, Canada remains on the sidelines of that race despite buying more vaccines doses per capita than, likely, any other country on Earth."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Vaccines were touted as the end game of this but now they are saying they don’t stop transmission so we need to keep this existence up

1. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Gael23 wrote: »

Vaccines were touted as the end game of this but now they are saying they don’t stop transmission so we need to keep this existence up

Vaccines are the end game, there is just a fear in the authorities that people will go nuts before there has been enough rolled out to have a significant impact

1. Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

hmmm wrote: »
        The idea that Ireland would have out-competed France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc. for vaccines is ludicrous. We are lucky they agreed to be part of a Europe-wide deal.

Just look at Canada for how it would probably have turned out.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/11/world/canada-vaccine-rollout-failure/index.html
        "The Canadian government thought it could pay to play in the global race to vaccinate its way back to normal life. But as its vaccine supply slowed to a trickle in February, Canada remains on the sidelines of that race despite buying more vaccines doses per capita than, likely, any other country on Earth."

Also, look at Serbia. Sure, they're using the Russian one, but as a prospective EU nation, for them, it looks better to be outside the EU than in for these vaccines as they've far more vaccinated now than they would have in the EU

2. Posts: 220 [Deleted User]

Gael23 wrote: »

The Government is in a really dangerous place just now.

They need people to buy into the vaccine programme. They've done that to date by promising that the lockdown will be eased when the vulnerable are vaccinated, and lifted when large parts of the population are.

If they now turn round and say "ah actually it doesn't matter how many people get vaccinated, Micheál is scared and is keeping you all under house arrest, what are you going to do, there's four years until the next election", they completely undermine their own vaccination programme.

Russian and Chinese vaccines are available for purchase, and our Government is refusing to consider their use because Micheál Martin wants to be a European Commissioner.

This was the same reason we were placed under house arrest for almost all of last year whilst dozens of flights a day landed from Poland, Romania, Lithuania etc.
          We're not stupid. If they keep reneging on their own statements, people will just stop listening.

They reneged on the plan for living with Covid on the day it was released. The Minister for Health can take two different, sometimes opposing, positions in the same statement.

They're in for a huge shock if they think they're going to push another lockdown on us after March 5th, especially when they've put a special "Taoiseach, Taoiseach's family, Taoiseach's staff, Taoiseach's advisers, Taoiseach's mates" category in the vaccination schedule and put it ahead of the old and vulnerable.

1. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

titan18 wrote: »
          Also, look at Serbia. Sure, they're using the Russian one, but as a prospective EU nation, for them, it looks better to be outside the EU than in for these vaccines as they've far more vaccinated now than they would have in the EU

Looks like Russia are prioritising vaccine supply to countries with the opportunity to embarrass Europe rather than to their own people

2. Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

or anywhere else for that matter......layers upon layers of bureaucracy at play all the time.

3. Advertisement
        4. Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The UK had 1k deaths the other day, we had less than 60!

Oh wait, you forgot to account for the huge population difference. Whoops. Once we have the vaccines we plan on doing pretty much the same numbers, proportionally, as the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
        Advertisement