Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

BlowHard wrote: »
    New variants make a return to normal life impossible for the foreseeable. You lock the borders down hard only essential entry and exits and go heavy on fines and quarantine. Should have been done last March and we'd have had a somewhat normal year and this one coming. The funny thing is as a small island with a tiny border we'd have achieved it pretty handy with proper governance

We've basically made a choice that holidays to santa del cesspit is more important than our own economy reopening and our childrens mental health.

You can't live with covid, you live without it.

Vaccinate the vulnerable then begin opening up. Then vaccinate everyone who wants it and open fully with no restrictions. Vaccines have shown to be strong against new variants but boosters can be given in future to make them more effective. Back to life as before and that's it, very simple really. Yes people will die of covid just like people die of flu and people die of lots of other things.

What's situation in Austria? Their 14 day rate is lower than ours?

South Africa variant

I think they have a number of cases of the South African variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

SA variant outbreak in one of their ski resorts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

BlowHard wrote: »

You can't live with covid, you live without it.

Great line that :)

Fully agree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Eswatini, is that even an actual country?

Formerly known as Swaziland

two things I read recently in separate books, just on science, one was by the great Bill Bryson.

One would relate to lockdown and it's adverse affects' if not already obvious enough to many.

and goes like this..People in Costa Rica have one fifth of the wealth of the average American and yet despite having higher levels of Obesity and hypertension, they live much longer. The Theory is that they benefit from closer relationships and family bonds, this can be seen in there DNA. What's curious is that if they live alone or don't see a child at least once a week, the benefit goes. Having good and loving relationships PHYSICALLY alters your DNA.
    Conversely a 2010 study showed not having any such relationship doubles your risk of dying from any cause...

This makes sense to me as some time ago the WHO stated that living alone or indeed loneliness was a heath hazard in itself..

https://www.who.int/mental_health/world-mental-health-day/WHO_paper_wmhd_2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

We don't have hotel quarantine set up yet so what is the point of the list.

Multiple people getting stopped with dental appointments in Lanzarote avoiding fines..

It's all so badly thought out and pointless. How is a foreign dentist essential when kids can't go to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Multiple people getting stopped with dental appointments in Lanzarote avoiding fines..

It's all so badly thought out and pointless. How is a foreign dentist essential when kids can't go to school.

Loop holes.

marno21 wrote: »
    Formerly known as Swaziland

Didn't know it was renamed. Every day's a school day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sorry- but this is the type of comment that just infuriates me. What does your kid not being able to go to school have to do with somebody making an essential trip abroad, who must take a negative PCR test before they arrive and self isolated in their home for 14 days on return?

I just don't get it - they are totally unrelated. Take up your issue about schools with the government, it is nothing to do with Johnny going to Lanzarote to get their veneers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guess once we do have it they will be in it but yeah until it happens it wont make much of a difference.

Klonker wrote: »
    Vaccinate the vulnerable then begin opening up. Then vaccinate everyone who wants it and open fully with no restrictions. Vaccines have shown to be strong against new variants but boosters can be given in future to make them more effective. Back to life as before and that's it, very simple really. Yes people will die of covid just like people die of flu and people die of lots of other things.

What about long covid? Doesn't exist?

You just gonna let all the non-vulnerable get Covid?

I would be going for a closed economy myself right now like New Zealand while we are in lockdown, let no one in, €5000 entry free to the country if you must come to Ireland for everyone, no exceptions, none of this isolate at home crap and man the border with €5 antigen tests for people that cross border for work, test both ways to be fair to NI.

We are going to have to face up to it at some stage, that this is our future.

Closed economy will have restaurants, cinema's everything open, a million times better than what we have now, get the army/garda etc to lockdown town's etc if we find infections in them like Australia do.

Truman show type living, nothing exists outside this country

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Eod100 wrote: »
    New countries added to the mandatory hotel quarantine list.

https://twitter.com/Jennifer_Bray/status/1360214875516129280

I'd like to see the numbers of travelers into Ireland per week from a few of those countries...

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the numbers of travelers into Ireland per week from a few of those countries...

Eswatini?! I’ve never even heard of it!

Sorry- but this is the type of comment that just infuriates me. What does your kid not being able to go to school have to do with somebody making an essential trip abroad, who must take a negative PCR test before they arrive and self isolated in their home for 14 days on return?

I just don't get it - they are totally unrelated. Take up your issue about schools with the government, it is nothing to do with Johnny going to Lanzarote to get their veneers.

look who's back with a new set of veneers!

latency89 wrote: »

I would be going for a closed economy myself right now like New Zealand while we are in lockdown, let no one in, €5000 entry free to the country if you must come to Ireland for everyone, no exceptions, none of this isolate at home crap and man the border with €5 antigen tests for people that cross border for work, test both ways to be fair to NI.

Closed economy will have restaurants, cinema's everything open, a million times better than what we have now, get the army/garda etc to lockdown town's etc if we find infections in them like Australia do.

OK there snake bliskin! I agree on the antigen tests and there's a case to be made as to why we have not used them up to now.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/flu-long-term-effects

Long FLU?

what do you work at yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Johnny can get veneers here. School is essential.

Says you! Might be your wet dream but the majority have no interest in such an insular future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

lawred2 wrote: »

Me too. Wouldn't say there would be many direct flights from a lot of them anyway.

• Advertisement

I've recently learned that it is the country formally known as Swaziland (thanks to Marno21)!

rusty cole wrote: »
    OK there snake bliskin! I agree on the antigen tests and there's a case to be made as to why we have not used them up to now.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/flu-long-term-effects

Long FLU?

what do you work at yourself?

Yes madness not using them.

Studies are showing sars-cov-2 has long term effects on many organs, even in asymptomatic infection, alot we don't know about the disease.

Suppy chain, but do have a degree in biology

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Used to be Swaziland. They renamed a few years ago.

We'll do the same with long covid as we do with long flu or long pneumonia, hows that sound. Plus, as we get more vaccinated this will decrease further, from very low numbers now to next to none when most of population vaccinated.

It's not like the second we exit lockdown everyone will catch covid. It's been here almost a year now and I know a handful of people that have had it, most were people that didnt even know they had it due to no symptoms. And again, as we vaccinate more this will decrease covid further in terms of numbers and severity.

But you go lock yourself in your house until there is no covid left on the island if that makes you feel better.

Klonker wrote: »
    But you go lock yourself in your house until there is no covid left on the island if that makes you feel better.

It's not my choice, i've had Covid and it was barely a head cold, i'm early 30's and not at risk

Government has us locked up and will do each time something comes up, that's why I think closed economy is better, take away those risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's not my choice, i've had Covid and it was barely a head cold, i'm early 30's and not at risk

Government has us locked up and will do each time something comes up, that's why I think closed economy is better, take away those risks.

A closed economy? Ah a fan of DeValera didn't work out too when Dev tried it. Huge proverty and misery not forgetting high mortality. Pass if it's all the same to you.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I've recently learned that it is the country formally known as Swaziland (thanks to Marno21)!

Thanks. There’s tons of those guys come through. Should have banned flights from there last year

A closed economy? Ah a fan of DeValera didn't work out too when Dev tried it. Huge proverty and misery not forgetting high mortality. Pass if it's all the same to you.

Yeah the Aussie's are in real poverty over there and dieing in the streets :rolleyes:

newFile.jpg?width=990&auto=webp&quality=75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

986 positive swabs from 18,841 - 5.23%

125 more than yesterday from 1634 additional tests

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement