Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Arghus wrote: »
    I know it was in response to another question, but Donnelly's responses unintentional result was to make another argument in favour of quarantining people.

So your big hope is vaccination: Yes.

But you can't guarantee total immunity, even after you've vaccinated everyone:

Well, no, there is a risk that other varients can get in that the vaccine isn't effective against.

We should probably put some system in place to mitigate that risk, just in case?:

...Eh...vaccines are the big hope... Eh..

Yes - their answers also spoke of zero Covid strategy and never opening up!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Exactly - that press conference was shocking. Leo was talking about getting cases down to a few hundred in a few weeks, vaccinating the 70% by September but no travel for maybe a year at least. What changes in a year???

The rest of globe is vaccinated and case numbers in certain countries at least are more under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Christ the government is selling an even gloomier 2021

Restrictions past September even when the country is mass vaccinated

No hospitality until June at the earliest no doubt until after the June Bank Holiday

There's dampening expectations and then there's giving people no hope and very little to look forward to

And the kicker is downright refusing to even try zero covid. We're getting none of the benefits from these constant restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Leo saying even with EVERYONE vaccinated in September, we can’t assume herd immunity and probably won’t allow travel to Ireland for Christmas

So basically saying this will never end?

Any more messaging like that and the government will completely lose the people.

Yup.
    Because even if we all get vaccine (which we don't) there will always come some new (insert any country you like or dont like) mutated scary strain for which vaccine may not work.
    Pretty much like it is with flu. We only guess which strain may come next flu season and sometimes we get it right most of the time not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

When Richard Boyd Barrett and Tomas Ryan are being taken credibly then it’s time to worry.

Or talking as if they have the magic bullet to solve all this. Christ I don’t know lads. I mean when they people in charge seem lost then is it any wonder the people of the country are getting the hump over all this. I mean it’s all kicked off in the Netherlands and I can’t say I’m surprised. I wouldn’t be shocked if it happens in more countries and even here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Could it be that people are feed up over this whole mess with the virus ? I just about barely check the numbers for my home county any more. You’d Become completely feed up.

the whole country is collectively depressed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

JP100 wrote: »
    This thread is very quiet today, usually way busier and especially too when the government is making a new announcement, etc.

You can feel people's fatigue with it, and the time of year. And politicians like Donnelly painting absolute worse case scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It’s like we get good news on swabs, then sh1te like this. :(

how many? what a waste:mad: its like precious cargo whats wrong with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Leo saying even with EVERYONE vaccinated in September, we can’t assume herd immunity and probably won’t allow travel to Ireland for Christmas

So basically saying this will never end?

Any more messaging like that and the government will completely lose the people.

This is baffling. How can we have restrictions with the entire country vaccinated? That logic suggests restrictions forever, which will absolutely not happen.

So if vaccinating the entire country doesn't end this, what does?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

the whole country is collectively depressed :(

I know and people I know who are normally very level headed are getting snarky and snapping in conversations and messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Should not be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Exactly - that press conference was shocking. Leo was talking about getting cases down to a few hundred in a few weeks, vaccinating the 70% by September but no travel for maybe a year at least. What changes in a year???
    He's laying out a worst case scenario. If vaccines don't prevent transmission of the virus, then we will need to maintain quarantine rules on inbound flights, at least for some countries, for a considerable amount of time.

The "jab and go" thing is complete nonsense, except maybe for EU countries. Travellers coming from outside the EU will likely have to quarantine well up to the end of the year, if not longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Christ

No excuse for that

Unbelievable wasting such a precious resource

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

To be fair..we are not being told this. The tanaiste said that come April or May with low numbers, critical mass vaccinated we will be in a different place and could see hospitality opened.
    This isn't like opening up the other times...there are vaccines out there. 50% of deaths come from nursing homes so that's 50% of deaths cut out as we speak.

But also being told the new strains changes things. Leo has said more than once now the virus keeps ripping up our best laid plans. So how about we get in front of it. I'm sure ye all have seen the images coming from NZ, living fairly normal lives. While their population gets vaccinated. And if a new strain changes things, they can go back to this model, close the borders so that they can live normally for themselves, businesses thrive, children are in school, etc., until a new booster/vaccine is sorted.

Where's the fault in that, compared to what we're doing. If we open up and we don't have enough vaccinated, numbers could rise quickly once again not to mention new strains, and we would have to lock down again. Not the country like NZ, but OURSELVES in our homes while the devastation continues.

This is madness.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know and people I know who are normally very level headed are getting snarky and snapping in conversations and messages.

yeah. try and not to take it personally. im sure people dont feel like themselves at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

AdamD wrote: »
    This is baffling. How can we have restrictions with the entire country vaccinated? That logic suggests restrictions forever, which will absolutely not happen.

So if vaccinating the entire country doesn't end this, what does?

The entire country will never be vaccinated by any stretch of the imagination. You may get to 80% but not 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

They hate zero covid being the strategy so much that they ....

Said their actual strategy won't work as a defence for not implementing it

Haha

seamus wrote: »
    He's laying out a worst case scenario. If vaccines don't prevent transmission of the virus, then we will need to maintain quarantine rules on inbound flights, at least for some countries, for a considerable amount of time.

The "jab and go" thing is complete nonsense, except maybe for EU countries. Travellers coming from outside the EU will likely have to quarantine well up to the end of the year, if not longer.

That Ryanair ad 'jab and go' from post Christmas/early New Year has gone a while. They were ready to go with it from October no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Turtwig wrote: »
    The rest of globe is vaccinated and case numbers in certain countries at least are more under control.

To be honest I doubt Ireland will have 70-80% vaccinated by september. Not a hope to have it done in countries like Bangladesh or let us say any of what they call "third world countries" or "developing nations".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

how many? what a waste:mad: its like precious cargo whats wrong with them

The biggest surprise is that people are shocked.it’s the ****ing hse so what’s new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

First press conference/announcement I didn’t listen too. I’d say I’m not the only one either. I just can’t deal with anymore of it. Months on end more stuck in a county away from my parents and parents in law and 3 of 4 siblings. It’s absolutely ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

They are setting themselves to be greats lads when they start easing restrictions end of March .
    Making themselves out to be doing everyone a huge favour and expecting a pat on the back for doing great work.
    This talk of major restrictions up past September is stupid waffle and keeping hotels, gyms and the likes closed when numbers are low in a few months will drive people to not care .
    They are playing a dangerous game with his strategy even those who up till now have followed guidelines will just say **** it ..
    Do they really expect people who are fully vaccinated keep to level 5 restrictions?
    The country won’t have a pub , restaurant or hotel left if they plan on keeping them closed past April.
    The lockdown is bloody hard enough but not being able to even plan a few nights in a hotel for the next 5 months is not good for the head .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

On one hand they’re saying they’re so worried about variants, even *after* the whole population are vaccinated, that possibly no travel for Christmas and into next year...

But if they’re so worried about variants why aren’t they taking tougher measures right now due to the varients that are here *right now* when a tiny percentage of the population are NOT vaccinated!! The kind of measures they’re saying we’d have to have NEXT CHRISTMAS if we persued zero Covid should be in place NOW!

WTF! They’re talking no sense!

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

If we rock up to September with most of the population vaccinated nobody will be adhering to their strategys.

If you'd even call them that.

They hate zero covid being the strategy so much that they ....

Said their actual strategy won't work as a defence for not implementing it

Haha

Reminds me of the Braveheart scene where Wallace says he'll invade lower England and all the clan heads say that's impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eod100 wrote: »
    And the kicker is downright refusing to even try zero covid. We're getting none of the benefits from these constant restrictions.
    It's not as if they just came to the decision, they've been consistent and NPHET agree. Our strategy has a four week review built in. COVID Zero has none, it just goes on until whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Arduach wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Braveheart scene where Wallace says he'll invade lower England and all the clan heads say that's impossible!
    If you're quoting Braveheart for support there may be some flaws in your plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No date on when quarantine will come in for SA and Brazil.

This looks like it won't happen at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement