Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The article just states people in shops should wear masks and not fondle items with dirty hands. This is something the general public can do themselves. The public can't really help with transmission rates in hospitals, and there are internal structures to address this anyway.
    Fomites are not an issue at all and the interactions are fleeting. Sounds like a germaphobe to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

So I have to join Facebook to get critical health information?

If you had clicked through you would have seen that it can be viewed via Facebook watcher without logging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Best if luck in the coming times with your mum sweetmaggie and hoping you get some final visits

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭fits

Best wishes to you and your mum Sweetmaggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Golfman64 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/doctors-blame-virus-outbreaks-on-shoppers-complacency-40086220.html

Are the mob moving on to essential retail?! We’d be queuing for hours or resigned to home delivery only if the medical profession had their way!

I suppose it’s understandable that they will become more dramatic as they attempt to cling on to their publicity.

I’d much rather we focus on how we can reduce transmission rates in hospitals and other care settings.

The article says 30% and 2 lines down, up to 30%.Is that a particular day, week, month or year? I feel they are twisting her words iin it but the way it is worded is ambiguous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Golfman64 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/doctors-blame-virus-outbreaks-on-shoppers-complacency-40086220.html

Are the mob moving on to essential retail?! We’d be queuing for hours or resigned to home delivery only if the medical profession had their way!

I suppose it’s understandable that they will become more dramatic as they attempt to cling on to their publicity.

I’d much rather we focus on how we can reduce transmission rates in hospitals and other care settings.

From the article - “Most of the spread is airborne but there is a worry someone can sneeze on their hands, then touch goods and place them back on the shelves.”

What a terrible worry all right. How is it even possible to sneeze on your hands these days? Yes I’ll certainly be sure to ramp up my worry meter next time I’m running the gauntlet to get basic supplies only.

Someone should tell the supermarkets that we aren’t supposed to touch things and put them back - maybe they’d stop putting the old dates out at the front.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That's some heartless posting. Of course I know perhaps 6 or 7 other who have had it and recovered with varying degrees of illness from it.

You are determined to play this down at every opportunity. Thus is as bad as the doom merchants. There is a reality out there that you're bent on ignoring because it doesn't suit your narrative,

How big is your neighbourhood? Two healthy, active people dead and another in a wheelchair is alot in a neighbourhood in a short time. I hope you are not drinking the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Multipass wrote: »
    From the article - “Most of the spread is airborne but there is a worry someone can sneeze on their hands, then touch goods and place them back on the shelves.”

What a terrible worry all right. How is it even possible to sneeze on your hands these days? Yes I’ll certainly be sure to ramp up my worry meter next time I’m running the gauntlet to get basic supplies only.

Someone should tell the supermarkets that we aren’t supposed to touch things and put them back - maybe they’d stop putting the old dates out at the front.

Old dates and out of dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Turtwig wrote: »
    Why do you insist on playing down others tragedies? It's a bit crass tbh.

When did I play it down, I said it was incredibly unlucky. These people were young and not in nursing homes. Have you any idea how unlucky that is. Probably about 1 in 500 chance of dieing, its probably more and nearly half the people he knows died of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospital discharges continue, now 898 in hospital although ICU at 173 is a lot more slow moving.

EDIT: ICU now down to 169 according to Paul Reid.

• Advertisement

That's some heartless posting. Of course I know perhaps 6 or 7 other who have had it and recovered with varying degrees of illness from it.

You are determined to play this down at every opportunity. Thus is as bad as the doom merchants. There is a reality out there that you're bent on ignoring because it doesn't suit your narrative,

Ok by your experience of it, it would mean 80k dead from the 200k plus cases we have had with 4 out of the 11 you know dieing from it, that's not even counting the guy in the wheelchair. Can you see how your experience does not correlate with statistics out there so yes I think your experience should be down played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ok by your experience of it, it would mean 80k dead from the 200k plus cases we have had with 4 out of the 11 you know dieing from it, that's not even counting the guy in the wheelchair. Can you see how your experience does not correlate with statistics out there so yes I think your experience should be down played.

This is cretinous.

We don't all get an even spread of tragedy. Your post is absurd and insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That is incredibly unlucky, sorry to hear.

I come from a big family. 3 brothers and 3 sisters, all married with kids. At this stage 3 of those families all got Covid. They have all made a complete recovery with no "long Covid" and no side effects at all.

My pregnant daughter, her husband, her 18month old, both her parents in law in their sixties and their kids all got it. All continued to work from home, all were fine. I also have 4 friends who got it and are now fine. So far that's 21 people I know and they have ALL said it was like a heavy cold along with aches and pains, some had no symptoms at all.

Unfortunately my Mum aged 86 got the first dose of Pfizer vaccine 16 days ago in her nursing home and has since tested positive for Covid (4 days ago) and things aren't looking good..... she is failing fast and the doctor has warned us it will be days. I'm hoping to be allowed visit later today.
    However she was not in good health anyway. So we expected bad news if she got Covid.

To my mind and in my own personal experience this is only affecting the older cohort of people, not younger healthy people (even overweight people in their sixties have fully recovered among the people I know).

So sorry to hear about your mother sweetmaggie. I hope you get to see her.

This is cretinous.

So we should just believe everything we read on here and not question anything, do you have any idea of the odds involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

This is cretinous.

Tony - you’re suggesting prof Nolan isn’t accurate with the r0 and you know better that it’s creeping up...

Surely you can Russell up the statistical probability given the CFR in Ireland if 4 of 12 people that get infected dying..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This is cretinous.

Ah it is unlucky tbf. I do believe JIm as he has always been a consistent and level headed poster but the average person in Ireland is unlikely to know any more than maybe 1 person who died or were hospitalised because of COVID.
    I know it does differ by demographic as I know my own grandmother has lost a handful of friends to COVID ,but it doesn't change the fact it is a pretty exceptional experience, and claiming it is normal/common in Ireland to know 4-5 people killed by COVID would definitely fall into realm of scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How big is your neighbourhood? Two healthy, active people dead and another in a wheelchair is alot in a neighbourhood in a short time. I hope you are not drinking the water.

Smart ass comment really. I didn't say neighbourhood, I referred to relatives and a neighbour.

But be as offensive as you like, it doesn't change facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You have to laugh at the hysteria directed towards travel yet little concern about how many who go to hospital for reasons other than Covid but end up contracting the virus in hospital.
    The worrying thing is we are doing enormous damage to our connectivity which will be a major issue even when the pandemic is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

What good will it do, you could claim that you didn’t turn up because you weren’t feeling well. Wouldn’t want to be sneezing at the dentist right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,875 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I didn't say it was typical, I simply pointed out that Dodderanglers experience was not typical either.

I'm well aware of the stats and the varying outcomes and was pointing out that these are so many people with different outcomes. You want a single view and there isn't one. You play down every aspect that doesn't suit you.

Smart ass comment really. I didn't say neighbourhood, I referred to relatives and a neighbour.

But be as offensive as you like, it doesn't change facts.

You have lost two neighbours, an uncle, a cousin and another neighbour in a wheelchair, who were previously fit and healthy. That's three neighbours, two dead and one with a life changing illness. Can you not remember what you posted? If not it is not credible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭prunudo

So we should just believe everything we read on here and not question anything, do you have any idea of the odds involved here.

A post can only be questioned if it shines a positive light on covid, ie. no worse then the flu, easily recoverable for all the cases I know of etc.
    If a post talks up the fear, severity, new variates, extra transmissablility, mentions long covid etc it must be taken at face value.

So you were lucky. It affects people differently. I've lost two neighbours, an uncle and a cousin to this. All were fit and healthy before this and enjoying meaningful lives. None were particularly old and some were young. I have a neighbour, previously a very active man, now confined to a wheelchair. Count yourselves lucky.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

prunudo wrote: »
    A post can only be questioned if it shines a positive light on covid, ie. no worse then the flu easily recoverable for all the caess I know of.
    If a post talks up the fear, severity, new variates, extra transmissablility, mentions long covid etc it must be taken at face value.

I have noticed that in particular with comments about vaccines. One particular poster here posts anything negative they can find about the vaccine , well actually they post anything negative they can find.

I see there is growing international condemnation of the Chinese government giving itself the unfettered power to ban people from leaving Hong Kong.

This, apparently, is the behaviour of a sinister authoritarian government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I have noticed that in particular with comments about vaccines. One particular poster here posts anything negative they can find about the vaccine , well actually they post anything negative they can find.

One particular poster is constantly belittling people and doesn't add any information to how this pandemic is going to go. One poster even said we'd be grand by September 2020 with the vaccines. Ever so slightly off but got lots of like.

Posters are a funny lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Tenerife dental practice prepares list of Irish no-shows for gardaí"

I can't see how either. Surely GDPR would prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

"Tenerife dental practice prepares list of Irish no-shows for gardaí"

I can't see how either. Surely GDPR would prevent this.

It would not afaik. One of the reasons you can process personal data is compliance with a legal obligation so if the police/guards ask for it they can provide it.

Also you have a reason for necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest which you can argue this would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

titan18 wrote: »
    It would not afaik. One of the reasons you can process personal data is compliance with a legal obligation so if the police/guards ask for it they can provide it.

Also you have a reason for necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest which you can argue this would be.

Yeah you could be right. I think it's a stretch using that aspect, as it would open up personal data provision for any public interests, and that would be a rocky road. Not convinced that the dental agency would be able to turn over medical details (because they are medical, effectively the bookings are a statement that they have medical issues albeit just teeth issues), so there'd be a strong onus on the State to justify taking that information simply because citizens went on a holiday to avoid quarantine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement