Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I see there is growing international condemnation of the Chinese government giving itself the unfettered power to ban people from leaving Hong Kong.

This, apparently, is the behaviour of a sinister authoritarian government.

I'm guessing you're trying to equate our restrictions on travel to certain places and fining those who go anyway with the behaviour of what is indeed a sinister authoritarian government?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They're not medical records though. There's a huge difference between a receptionist confirming the date someone did or did not attend an appointment and a letter from a practitioner detailing a diagnosis or treatment. The reason for the requesting the appointment does not even need to be disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/nbakic/status/1360524569329733634?s=19

Interesting thread. Looks like Croatians are just not going for testing. Cases numbers have plummeted but Positivity rates are very high (over 20%).

I generally don't see the point in getting tested. It's not going to help you in anyway, it's just box ticking and it will improve the argument from government to keep us locked down.

If you are feeling unwell, isolate. If you are in a bad way, go to hospital. Having a positive test box ticked keeps the rest of us locked down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Interesting thread. Looks like Croatians are just not going for testing. Cases numbers have plummeted but Positivity rates are very high (over 20%).

I generally don't see the point in getting tested. It's not going to help you in anyway, it's just box ticking and it will improve the argument from government to keep us locked down.

If you are feeling unwell, isolate. If you are in a bad way, go to hospital. Having a positive test box ticked keeps the rest of us locked down

You might not be sure, it would be nice to be sure you have immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Seeing as deaths in Croatia are also reducing, why would you come to that conclusion? The deaths would imply that COVID is reducing in the country.
    I don't see the point in not getting tested. It's not that much hassle is it, and surely it's good to know, so you can make sure to take extra precautions and avoid giving it to anyone. If you test negative then you know it's not an issue to go about normal daily tasks even if you have some symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

It could be due to the fact that the vast majority of restrictions have almost no impact on the spread of the virus. Therefore, a seemingly loose lockdown can be enough to collapse positive cases if the correct restrictions are enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

On a day like today the appeal of going to the airport is very real

People are at their wits end at this point

"Tenerife dental practice prepares list of Irish no-shows for gardaí"

I can't see how either. Surely GDPR would prevent this.

"We don't regard a dentist's appointment in Tenerife as being a reasonable excuse to travel"

Well, Commissioner, you aren't running the RUC any more, and this isn't Northern Ireland.

This is a democratic republic governed by the rule of law. And the law explicitly states that travelling for a medical appointment is a legitimate reason to travel.

Dáil Éireann makes the law of this country, not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Sounds like a plan. Where have I heard that before........

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1319753246559395841?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

"We don't regard a dentist's appointment in Tenerife as being a reasonable excuse to travel"

Well, Commissioner, you aren't running the RUC any more, and this isn't Northern Ireland.

This is a democratic republic governed by the rule of law. And the law explicitly states that travelling for a medical appointment is a legitimate reason to travel.

Dáil Éireann makes the law of this country, not you.

you forgot the word"bogus" in traveling for a medical appointment.

• Advertisement

you forgot the word"bogus" in traveling for a medical appointment.

I am sorry you have difficulties reading.

Here is the Commissioner's words: ""We don't regard a dentist's appointment in Tenerife as being a reasonable excuse to travel".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

On a day like today the appeal of going to the airport is very real

People are at their wits end at this point

I was at my wits end 7 months ago. My wits ended and I have descended into territories of misery I didn't even know existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If we shouldn't test that's grand but the hospitals are still not able to live with covid and their normal workload. You should watch the RTE documentary. It's real I'm afraid.

UK put on 2251 extra ICU beds but still struggling.

543464.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

The_Brood wrote: »
    I was at my wits end 7 months ago. My wits ended and I have descended into territories of misery I didn't even know existed.

I am the same. And the rumours of this lockdown continuing until at least May without a slight loosening really pushed me over the edge. I try to be thankful that all my family are well, my kids are good, even though they have me as a teacher. But it just feels like this will never end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I am sorry you have difficulties reading.

Here is the Commissioner's words: ""We don't regard a dentist's appointment in Tenerife as being a reasonable excuse to travel".

I was not quoting the commissioners words, I was quoting yours where you said " This is a democratic republic governed by the rule of law. And the law explicitly states that travelling for a medical appointment is a legitimate reason to travel."

Does the law state that a bogus medical appointment that you don't turn up for is also a legitimate reason for travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Covid is not even a notifiable disease yet people are being fines 2000 for travelling to an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Covid is not even a notifiable disease yet people are being fines 2000 for travelling to an airport.

And yet they still go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

blade1 wrote: »
    And yet they still go.

Absolutely. Because they know the risks. And they know what are not risks.

This misinformation comes up once every couple of weeks. It’s easy to verify you know when you read bizarre lies on social media

https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/listofnotifiablediseases/List%20of%20Notifiable%20Diseases%20February%202020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Looks like all GPs and practice nurses will have had at least one shot this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

1009 Swabs
    6.1% + rate

Somewhat disappointing numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Seymour20

1009 Swabs
    6.1% + rate

Big outbreaks amongst students in Galway may be causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

1009 Swabs
    6.1% + rate

Still high positivity rates in contacts testing would be part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It does appear our numbers are plateauing at around 800-1000 cases a day and this is before schools reopen.

We might get it down to around 400-600 by the end of February but still a high level of positive PCRs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

the corpo wrote: »

Very disappointing, now what I expected based on GP data

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I note rates on the continent have generally stopped falling also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

1009 Swabs
    6.1% + rate

Interesting numbers, GP referral all well down. Lowest in a long time.

Close contacts probably playing a part along with outbreaks in certain settings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,272 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It does appear our numbers are plateauing at around 800-1000 cases a day and this is before schools reopen.

We might get it down to around 400-600 by the end of February but still a high level of positive PCRs

Well 400-600 was pretty much what was predicted I think so it would be inline.

We're still down week on week so while it might seem like a plateau on daily numbers it really isn't. Prof Nolan addressed as such recently.

Just taking Monday to Friday for example last week was 5247 cases, this week 4178 which with close contacts day 0 & day 10 testing I think is quite good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It was flagged on Monday by professor Nolan that we will likely have 10 days of numbers plateauing as the close contact testing gets added in. after which they expect cases to drop again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement