Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

You’re right. It’d be hard work, and border regions would need a lot of support, but if a vaccine had never come along, this would have been the only workable option. Would need an unprecedented level of political cooperation, but had a vaccine not turned up, fear might have driven that level of cooperation.

Maybe if all leaders had had a crystal ball, they’d have done some something along these lines. But the learning from this whole thing might be that we get a European pandemic response procedure set up and agreed, such that if and when something really nasty comes along, whether in 10 years or 50, then we have a pre-agreed coordinated response

Like everyone abroad has 48 hours to get home before the Europe border is shut, quarantine is put in place at the point of entry into Europe, and immediate Europe-wide elimination strategy is enacted

But we never had a vaccine last year, so why didn't we work on zero covid approach last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

But we never had a vaccine last year, so why didn't we work on zero covid approach last year?
    Same BS 0 covid doesnt exist, would you preffered to have everything closed as in all the airports fairies etc, for entire year and everyone getting 350e in the mean time, fckn hell some people are brain dead beyond belief at this stage with hysteria.

Because the political co-ordination to do so was not there because no one know how bad it was going to be. And so there was no single idea around which to coalesce. No we do know, but there is a vaccine which, again, means that there are different ideas and strategies as to the way forward. Were there no vaccine at all, I think that European leaders would have started to think through a common approach, akin to zero Covid. The UK would have been on board, given their current stance toward travel.

And we would have moved IMO toward a European ZC strategy. Not going to happen now, because of the focus on vaccines (and a ZC approach would be a very painful few months) but maybe for next time we will be quicker out of the blocks with a collective elimination approach

But I am guessing that our leaders will waste this crisis and not put a future pandemic plan together

What I find remarkable is we know there are variants that early evidence suggests might reduce the efficacy of the vaccines, yet our travel restrictions and border control is still completely ineffective/inadequate.

The same is true across Europe. It's as if we're just waiting for the variants to get widespread enough so we can just say "well it's too late now to do anything".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Because it's not feasible in Ireland.

This has been explained at least 1000 times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You’re right. It’d be hard work, and border regions would need a lot of support, but if a vaccine had never come along, this would have been the only workable option. Would need an unprecedented level of political cooperation, but had a vaccine not turned up, fear might have driven that level of cooperation.

Maybe if all leaders had had a crystal ball, they’d have done some something along these lines. But the learning from this whole thing might be that we get a European pandemic response procedure set up and agreed, such that if and when something really nasty comes along, whether in 10 years or 50, then we have a pre-agreed coordinated response

Like everyone abroad has 48 hours to get home before the Europe border is shut, quarantine is put in place at the point of entry into Europe, and immediate Europe-wide elimination strategy is enacted
    Had we not gone hell for leather on vaccines we would have focused on treatments and there is plenty of work ongoing there. Zero-COVID's failing is that it offers no guarantees nor end date. It doesn't attempt to manage outbreaks, which is how all diseases are controlled and instead it banks on an impractical strategy that takes no account of how such measures would affect society and people.

El Sueño wrote: »

We are talking about a Europe strategy. I think everyone accepts at this stage that ZC is not possible in Ireland alone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

What I find remarkable is we know there are variants that early evidence suggests might reduce the efficacy of the vaccines, yet our travel restrictions and border control is still completely ineffective/inadequate.

The same is true across Europe. It's as if we're just waiting for the variants to get widespread enough so we can just say "well it's too late now to do anything".

Europe has been a shambles in dealing with the pandemic. Everyone doing different versions of rolling lockdowns and living with Covid. Then all the eggs were put into the vaccine basket and the rollout so far is a dismal failure.

Despite how many people are convinced that zero covid is impossible, we are just one variant away from that being forced on us.

We are talking about a Europe strategy. I think everyone accepts at this stage that ZC is not possible in Ireland alone
    That's 44 countries with their own laws and peoples.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Had we not gone hell for leather we would have focused on treatments and there is plenty of work ongoing there. Zero-COVID's failing is that it offers no guarantees nor end date. It doesn't attempt to manage outbreaks, which is how all diseases are controlled and instead it banks on an impractical strategy that takes no account of how such measures would affect society and people.

It does exactly that, if you get cases to such a low level you can throw massive resources at testing, tracing and isolation. You know when China test entire cities? That kind of thing. You properly isolate all contacts, you test everyone that was in the possible locations, you restrict travel in and out of localised areas, you close the possible chains of infection. And you carry on living with covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

If ZC isn't feasible in one country it is absolute delusional to think it could work across 27.

I does exactly that, if you get cases to such a low level you can throw massive resources at testing, tracing and isolation. You know when China test entire cities? That kind of thing. You properly isolate all contacts, you test everyone that was in the possible locations, you restrict travel in and out of localised areas, you close the possible chains of infection. And you carry on living with covid.
    For how long? Low enough cases is a very vague concept. China can also effectively lock people into their houses although you seem to be angling for the same kind of police state here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ah the regular Zero Covid discussion. Not going to happen but amusing to read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

scamalert wrote: »
    Same BS 0 covid doesnt exist, would you preffered to have everything closed as in all the airports fairies etc, for entire year and everyone getting 350e in the mean time, fckn hell some people are brain dead beyond belief at this stage with hysteria.

There's no need to be so aggressive in your reply. Has Australia and New Zealand shut down for the year? No they haven't, so people won't be out on the PUP. Get a grip with your aggressive reply.

Jesus Christ. I’m out. What is it with discourse these days that it has to be so binary

For how long? Low enough cases is a very vague concept. China can also effectively lock people into their houses although you seem to be angling for the same kind of police state here.

How long? Until vaccines have the required coverage.

Vague concept? Cases have to be low enough that you can test, trace and isolate adequately to close transmission chains. We know our resources (even if we haven't been using them) so we can work that out. We've never done that. Even when we effectively eliminated community transmission last summer, for some reason we gave up on all that.

Police state? Nobody was locked in their houses in South Korea, New Zealand, Australia etc.

You have to provide managed isolation and you have to make sure those isolating at home do so. We have let millions of hotel rooms across Europe sit empty, instead of reducing the liberty of few people we've reduced the liberty of an entire continent. We're not in a police state, but our kids can't go to school, I can't wander into a shop, can't go to the cinema, have a meal out. Yet in the "police state" countries they can do all of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ni Infection rate down near 100 per 100,000
    https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1360955544677347340

Vague concept? Cases have to be low enough that you can test, trace and isolate adequately to close transmission chains. We know our resources (even if we haven't been using them) so we can work that out. We've never done that. Even when we effectively eliminated community transmission last summer, for some reason we gave up on all that.

Police state? Nobody was locked in their houses in South Korea, New Zealand, Australia etc.

You have to provide managed isolation and you have to make sure those isolating at home do so. We have let millions of hotel rooms across Europe sit empty, instead of reducing the liberty of few people we've reduced the liberty of an entire continent. We're not in a police state, but our kids can't go to school, I can't wander into a shop, can't go to the cinema, have a meal out. Yet in the "police state" countries they can do all of those things.

No one locked in their homes eh?

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-australia-towers/australian-state-violated-human-rights-in-covid-lockdown-report-idUSKBN28R0EC?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

As I said, no dates to this whatsoever. You need to sell it to the public. What if we don't get coverage or even after "coverage" if there are still cases what's your plan then? TBH this seems to be a lot more about what you can and can't do.

“We make no apology for saving people’s lives, absolutely no apology for saving people’s lives,” Victoria state Housing Minister Richard Wynne told reporters.

"No new cases have been reported in the state for 48 straight days as of Thursday."

5 days, to get a job done. I'd take that instead of this.

When we're still being told to stay at home in 3 months/6 months/a year's time, will you still have the same outlook?

• Advertisement

As I said, no dates to this whatsoever. You need to sell it to the public. And even after "coverage" if there are still cases what's your plan then? TBH this seems to be a lot more about what you can and can't do.

What are the dates on our current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are finding cases of Covid being imported through foods and frozen foods. NZ are now finding cases coming out of nowhere. Completely unexplained cases. Once the virus is in, its going to spread silently.

The likes of NZ are also banking on their population to have a near 100% uptake on vaccines. It's not going to happen.

The polls in NZ are saying 70% are willing to take the vaccine. With 30% left over, that's 1.5m people. A small country.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/sunday/audio/2018783487/covid-19-nz-females-more-likely-not-to-get-vaccinated

What are the dates on our current situation?
    Review in 2-3 weeks. Schools back next month and construction too. Likely lower level of restrictions by April. Possible "staycations" in summer. And your date?

“We make no apology for saving people’s lives, absolutely no apology for saving people’s lives,” Victoria state Housing Minister Richard Wynne told reporters.

"No new cases have been reported in the state for 48 straight days as of Thursday."

5 days, to get a job done. I'd take that instead of this.

When we're still being told to stay at home in 3 months/6 months/a year's time, will you still have the same outlook?

You said no one was locked in their homes. Melbourne was locked done for 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

They are finding cases of Covid being imported through foods and frozen foods. NZ are now finding cases coming out of nowhere. Completely unexplained cases. Once the virus is in, its going to spread silently.

The likes of NZ are also banking on their population to have a near 100% uptake on vaccines. It's not going to happen.

The polls in NZ are saying 70% are willing to take the vaccine. With 30% left over, that's 1.5m people. A small country.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/sunday/audio/2018783487/covid-19-nz-females-more-likely-not-to-get-vaccinated

When it comes down to it there will be far far less than 30% refusing the vaccine. I would be surprised if many countries don’t get at least 90% coverage easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

El Sueño wrote: »

I am going to lose my every loving mind. That is not feasible... but what is happening right now IS feasible, tell me?

Lockdown for over a year soon, perfectly feasible? No problem, mild inconvenience?

Economic devastation? Feasible. Doable. 'We are all in this together.' say the politicians from their millionaire homes. No bother.

Mental health nightmare? Feasible. A suitable sacrifice.

Complete and utter destruction of anything resembling social existence? Feasible? Whoopdie-do.

No sense of plan, no organisation, make it up as you go along approach, no hope, no timelines, just telling people to shut up and stay at home indefinitely is....again...feesable?

Who exactly told you or anyone else that any of what is happening right now is 'feasible?' Just how much ****ing suffering to you is feasible, in relation to what you deem is not feasible?

Absolutely **** this garbage ****. **** everything.

Review in 2-3 weeks. Schools back next month and construction too. Likely lower level of restrictions by April. Possible "staycations" in summer. And your date?

Sure problem over so. Don't know what I was frustrated about. Don't see what could go wrong with that at all, back in Copper's by July hopefully.

You said no one was locked in their homes. Melbourne was locked done for 5 months.

And I was wrong.

Their second lockdown was 3 and a half months, to full reopening. We've never managed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I wonder if Victoria will extend lockdown past the initial 5 days? I'd say the likelihood is strong.

• Advertisement

Sure problem over so. Don't know what I was frustrated about. Don't see what could go wrong with that at all, back in Copper's by July hopefully.
    Not about to do that numpty Internet thing of demanding an answer but you really don't seem to understand the need to give people a timeline and hope. You may be able to face unending and unpredictable measures into the future but many others cannot. Politically it has been deemed unviable and that will inform what happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement