Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Maxface wrote: »
    Think there is gonna be some interesting dilemmas for the government ahead. Just looking at Donegal for example which was a basket case at one point. Cases seem to be well in control now and hospital cases have dramatically improved. I can't remember exact figures but it was around 120 at some point. I think a lot/not most of the cases in hospitals have been outbreaks and with staff now mostly vaccinated and hopefully that reduces spread and a reduction in local transmission then the case for easing of restrictions is gonna be hard to resist.

If Letterkenny hospital continues in the same way it could be down to single figures by the end of the week. If the county continues to show very small amounts of spread then it could be in a situation where for example say 5 or 6 in hospital with a 7 day average of 15 by end of next week. All hypothetical of course. If that is the situation by the 21st of February what happens then? If by the end of the following week there is nobody in hospital and an even lower average then all this talk of level 5 until May is going to be very hard to justify I reckon.

We're going to reach a point where admissions and discharges will be on par, so the hospital figures will start to slow down to a crawl. ICU is still far too high.
    The dilemma will be, people only seeing low case numbers, low deaths, low hospital figures but ignore what will still have high ICU figures.
    I don't envy the Government in making choices in regard to reopening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So ebola has been found in Guinea. And I done a quick Google search to find out if two viruses can mix and it turns out two viruses can mix together.

So what happens if Ebola and Sars-Cov-2 mix together and have a baby?

So ebola has been found in Guinea. And I done a quick Google search to find out if two viruses can mix and it turns out two viruses can mix together.

Oh Lord above. We have enough now to worry about than 'what if' viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

You'll buy extra popcorn and feel like all your Christmases have come at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

niallo27 wrote: »
    If your less than 40 and afraid of getting sick from this virus you need your head tested.
    My ex is 31 and healthy and had it in January and spent over a week only venturing between bedroom and bathroom, bedroom windows open the whole time and rotating damp towels for the fever, intermittent difficulty breathing and on an oxygen monitor, couldn't get out of the bath unaided.. She's fine now, and obviously most "mild" cases are not as severe, but if you think you're invincible just because you're under 40, you need your head tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Oh ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Two virus can mix ,if they are both from the same family group ,
    Ebola and covid are not the same family group and won't mix.
    A quick goggle and I found this out.....

This is a bit like asking what happens if a shark and a goat have a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

This is a bit like asking what happens if a shark and a goat gave a baby

Shark cheese anyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Are you being serious or on a wind up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

ZX7R wrote: »
    Shark cheese anyone...

Id take mt chances against a shark ahead of having to eat goat's cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I think we all know the answer to this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I’m sure you’d be the first to wet that baby’s head. Not in a pub of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

The Covola talk gave me a laugh this morning. Then I stupidly scanned the news headlines and saw the kites were out flying from government this morning- hospitality sector to remain closed for several more months until the majority are vaccinated and ban in household visits to remain for the foreseeable. Doesn’t sound like we’ll be trying to live with Covid rather than hide from it for some time!!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

The Covola talk gave me a laugh this morning. Then I stupidly scanned the news headlines and saw the kites were out flying from government this morning- hospitality sector to remain closed for several more months until the majority are vaccinated and ban in household visits to remain for the foreseeable. Doesn’t sound like we’ll be trying to live with Covid rather than hide from it for some time!!

To be fair we need to learn from mistakes. I would see this as preparing the way for a limited reopening plus managing expectations on a full reopening. Most risky settings are indoor as we know so restrictions here for some time to come.

Hopefully the vaccinations of over 70s goes to plan and then the rest of population vaccinations start to scale up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To be fair we need to learn from mistakes. I would see this as preparing the way for a limited reopening plus managing expectations on a full reopening. Most risky settings are indoor as we know so restrictions here for some time to come.

Hopefully the vaccinations of over 70s goes to plan and then the rest of population vaccinations start to scale up quickly.

Reopening of what I wonder?

I'd be surprised if there's much left to reopen after all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

lawred2 wrote: »
    Reopening of what I wonder?

I'd be surprised if there's much left to reopen after all this.

Fair point. We are racking up lots of debt in providing those supports - when numbers come down there will be a renewed focus on costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Do you have to actually ask at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Government messages on this vary from speaker to speaker, even on the same day. It's also a good idea to try and find out how that story emerged. The truth is nobody has any idea.

meanwhile in the UK and in Northern Ireland, 32 million will be vaccinated by April and self catering staycations, high street shops open, easing of restrictions on exercise, and families meeting up outdoors including grandparents is on the cards within weeks!!

I think when the sun starts shining, we see our neighbours and families in the UK back living their lives, we see people a few miles across the border back hiking in the mountains, playing golf, travelling anywhere in the country.......the narrative in Ireland will change big time!

The mood music has already changed. This thread has become so quiet in the last week, whereas other threads questioning the easing of restrictions and the "when will it all end" thread are flying.

I met with 2 of my brothers this weekend. A year ago they were hardline restriction people, the more the better. They have done a major U turn and after 5th March are no longer sticking with any 5km restriction and have trips planned within Ireland before Easter.
    People will be done with this as soon as the sun starts shining.

• Advertisement

meanwhile in the UK and in Northern Ireland, 32 million will be vaccinated by April and self catering staycations, high street shops open, easing of restrictions on exercise, and families meeting up outdoors including grandparents is on the cards within weeks!!

I think when the sun starts shining, we see our neighbours and families in the UK back living their lives, we see people a few miles across the border back hiking in the mountains, playing golf, travelling anywhere in the country.......the narrative in Ireland will change big time!

The mood music has already changed. This thread has become so quiet in the last week, whereas other threads questioning the easing of restrictions and the "when will it all end" thread are flying.

I met with 2 of my brothers this weekend. A year ago they were hardline restriction people, the more the better. They have done a major U turn and after 5th March are no longer sticking with any 5km restriction and have trips planned within Ireland before Easter.
    All of this was predicted a year ago. We will tire of it and compliance will fall, probably very fast in some cases. I expect some changes in March and I don't think we get much beyond Easter before people start to get very restless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

is_that_so wrote: »
    All of this was predicted a year ago. We will tire of it and compliance will fall, probably very fast in some cases. I expect some changes in March and I don't think we get much beyond Easter before people start to get very restless.

We are not going to get to Easter, last week seems to have been a turning point for anyone I have been speaking to, I broke the household rule yesterday, but made a conscious decision last week that I would be if the opportunity arose, with the hospital numbers dropping, no dates for schools to open, children need interaction with other kids, zoom etc can only bring them so far.

is_that_so wrote: »

............I agree.......and I'd go further and say restrictions will be "out the window" for a lot of us even before Easter...........PARTICULARLY the stupid 5km travel restriction. If they want to keep shops, schools, pubs closed they can, but people will be back out living their lives by then.

We are not going to get to Easter, last week seems to have been a turning point for anyone I have been speaking to, I broke the household rule yesterday, but made a conscious decision last week that I would be if the opportunity arose, with the hospital numbers dropping, no dates for schools to open, children need interaction with other kids, zoom etc can only bring them so far.
    Yeah, I think within the population at large this is happening. The increasing numbers being fined is a sure sign of that. Schools at least should be back underway next month.

ICU is now at 160 and there is often a good drop in general hospital numbers on a Monday so we could be a lot closer to 500 by week's end with ICU heading down under 150.

............I agree.......and I'd go further and say restrictions will be "out the window" for a lot of us even before Easter...........PARTICULARLY the stupid 5km travel restriction. If they want to keep shops, schools, pubs closed they can, but people will be back out living their lives by then.
    That is one of the tweaks I reckon they will apply in March, non-essential retail strikes me as another. There is a revised plan coming in the next week or so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mood music hasn't really changed. People who were vocal about restrictions before are vocal now. Shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mood music hasn't really changed. People who were vocal about restrictions before are vocal now. Shocker!

esp. when they start banging around in their echo chambers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This is just from my perspective, I have noticed alot more cyclists out training on the roads, both individuals and small groups. I live rurally but travel to work Monday to Friday. The roads have gotten busier recently. I also see more kids out playing together plus groups of teens.
    Close relatives are also ignoring the household rule.

Nope...........its more people..... and its the different people. Its the ones who wanted strict restrictions last year, people in their fifties and sixties who are now fed up with this and are breaking the 5km limit to meet a friend for a walk.

In the last week alone any of my friends or family I have spoken to have travelled further already and have trips planned at Easter (tents, campervans, holiday houses). These are not teenagers , these are people who cannot put their lives on hold anymore, time is passing for all of us.

the positivity from the UK is fantastic right now and will shake us all up a bit here!! Most of us have family/friends in the UK, we can't sit here looking at the 4 walls when they are back out living their lives. The UK vaccination success is the best thing that could happen (for us!!) .... its called POSITIVITY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

After the vunerable have been vaccinated then the government have no justificationto continue harsh restrictions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement