Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    After the vunerable have been vaccinated then the government have no justificationto continue harsh restrictions.

Everyone bar very young are vulnerable to this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mood music hasn't really changed. People who were vocal about restrictions before are vocal now. Shocker!

Not sure that's true. There is definitely more frustration in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Does anyone remember what hospital and ICU figures were when we somewhat relaxed things last May/June?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Over 80% of cases are mild. That's not vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone remember what hospital and ICU figures were when we somewhat relaxed things last May/June?

The first step in relaxation was 18 May and we had 55 in icu and 386 in hospital.

We took our second step on 8 June when we had 34 in icu and 122 in hospital.

The extent of these opening up steps can be found here
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/02/ireland-extends-covid-19-lockdown-to-18-may-before-phased-exit

Details of the hospital numbers at different dates can be found here

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Are you being serious or on a wind up?

We're highly fücked as a species if Ebola ever came out way because you'll still be downplaying it and calling people as wind up merchants because you don't have anything else to say. Your two wives out on the frontline completely unaffected by ebola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

We're highly fücked as a species if Ebola ever came out way because you'll still be downplaying it and calling people as wind up merchants because you don't have anything else to say. Your two wives out on the frontline completely unaffected by ebola.

Relax. We have a vaccine for Ebola

Ebola and Covid combining is why some ask were on on a wind up. Its a ridiculous suggestion

There are two vaccines for Ebola but haven't you enough worry with COVID in your head without adding another one? Oh, and do read up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

is_that_so wrote: »

And those are the diagnosed cases. There are the raft of people who have had it and have never known or have felt mildly unwell for a day or 2 and didn't get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

No we wouldn't. Ebola in its current iteration at least is not that transmissible. Good proper hygiene practices prevents its spread. The measures we've taken for covid would crush an Ebola outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

This thread has become so quiet in the last week, whereas other threads questioning the easing of restrictions and the "when will it all end" thread are flying.

In fairness, the thread is repetitive now that there has been more than a year of them. There's only so much "two more weeks" we can take, whether it's:

– The two weeks are critical
    – Just wait two weeks, the hospitals will be overrun
    – Just wait two weeks, cases will be well down
    – Just wait two weeks, cases will be well up
    – Just wait two weeks, no one will obey restrictions as "we're" fed up.

And nothing happens, except more of the same.

Everyone wants the exact same thing, the end of it.. And yet it's just a bickering, one side saying the other actually wants to kill their granny, with the other side saying their opponents want to lock down forever because they enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I wonder if we will reach our vaccination targets for May/June. I wonder what will happen if we don’t and the lockdown requires another extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

yet it's just a bickering, one side saying the other actually wants to kill their granny, with the other side saying their opponents want to lock down forever because they enjoy it.

Well John Giles did say the making of a footballer was whether they'd be willing to kill their granny. If you're not willing to do that you're not going to succeed in football (or presumably life?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

esp. when they start banging around in their echo chambers.

You're in your own echo chamber if you don't think there has been a change in the mood music over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

is_that_so wrote: »

So 20% are severe? Sounds serious.

So 20% are severe? Sounds serious.
    The WHO say it's 10%-15%. It also disproportionately affects older people.

The CSO’s analysis of the confirmed deaths has found that COVID-19 has had the greatest impact on people aged 65 or over. Almost 92% of confirmed deaths occurred within this age group in the period from 11 March 2020 up to 15 May 2020. The data also shows that in the 0-44 age cohort there were 17 deaths.

This older age group also accounted for more than 26% of all confirmed cases of the virus. Further analysis found that 14% of all confirmed cases are people aged 80+, despite only making up 3% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mood music hasn't really changed. People who were vocal about restrictions before are vocal now. Shocker!

I'm someone who was pro restrictions last April/May, thinks we should have gone into them earlier in October and was against opening up as much in December, and I'm against what is currently being proposed through the media.

Once we start averaging sub 500 cases, start reopening items of less risk imo. Hospitality is a different story, we need to get a lot lower than that, but lots of things can reopen at that time imo with a lot of the vulnerable and healthcare staff vaccinated (people should remember a lot of our cases and deaths are from spread within hospitals and nursing homes so take that out and it's a lot better)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm someone who was pro restrictions last April/May, thinks we should have gone into them earlier in October and was against opening up as much in December, and I'm against what is currently being proposed through the media.

Once we start averaging sub 500 cases, start reopening items of less risk imo. Hospitality is a different story, we need to get a lot lower than that, but lots of things can reopen at that time imo with a lot of the vulnerable and healthcare staff vaccinated (people should remember a lot of our cases and deaths are from spread within hospitals and nursing homes so take that out and it's a lot better)

I'm the same regarding restrictions. The government messaging has never been as negative as it is now, which is bizarre considering we have several approved vaccines. I'm fine with the current restrictions staying in place with the numbers we have at the moment (with the exception of the 5k rule), but talk of keeping most things closed until May at the earliest seems ridiculously over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I asked you were you on a windup , thanks for clarifying .
    Btw I never claimed my wife worked on the frontline unless retail has been reclassified.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

meanwhile in the UK and in Northern Ireland, 32 million will be vaccinated by April and self catering staycations, high street shops open, easing of restrictions on exercise, and families meeting up outdoors including grandparents is on the cards within weeks!!

I think when the sun starts shining, we see our neighbours and families in the UK back living their lives, we see people a few miles across the border back hiking in the mountains, playing golf, travelling anywhere in the country.......the narrative in Ireland will change big time!

The mood music has already changed. This thread has become so quiet in the last week, whereas other threads questioning the easing of restrictions and the "when will it all end" thread are flying.

I met with 2 of my brothers this weekend. A year ago they were hardline restriction people, the more the better. They have done a major U turn and after 5th March are no longer sticking with any 5km restriction and have trips planned within Ireland before Easter.
    People will be done with this as soon as the sun starts shining.

You have a very distorted view if you really believe all or any of that is going to happen in any part of the UK and particularly in NI by April. It won`t even if it suits your government bashing agenda to claim otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Its going to be funny when the North opens and things fall apart down here watching them head back to normality.

Do you remember when the old "well things are bad, but look at the UK" crowd were knocking about.

My, how the tables have turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Its going to be funny when the North opens and things fall apart down here watching them head back to normality.

Do you remember when the old "well things are bad, but look at the UK" crowd were knocking about.

Just heard some HSE stooge on Claire Byrne say we might allow inter country travel by late June/July. :rolleyes:

You have a very distorted view if you really believe all or any of that is going to happen in any part of the UK and particularly in NI by April. It won`t even if it suits your government bashing agenda to claim otherwise.

Britain has given the first dose to almost a quarter of its population by mid February, if you think the UK is still going to be under severe restrictions in 2/3 months I would suggest it's you with the distorted view tbh.

TheDoctor wrote: »

Same as the other poster you are mistaken if you believe that is going to happen anytime soon. It won`t so you will have to keep your gloating in storage for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

That would mean vaccines are useless. Otherwise they will be opening up.

Britain has given the first dose to almost a quarter of its population by mid February, if you think the UK is still going to be under severe restrictions in 2/3 months I would suggest it's you with the distorted view tbh.

Suggest away to your heart`s content. Time will tell.

Suggest away.

I just did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

If you are under 50 and are in good health then the risk to you is the same as driving a car, I'll take my chances thanks..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement