Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXII-215,743 ROI (4,137 deaths)111,166 NI (2,036 deaths)(22/02)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I posted evidence of professional athletes suffering severe after effects from Covid-19. That's the evidence. Some athletes not having severe after effects, doesn't prove that severe after effects don't exist.

All your posts prove similar to mine some get it bad some don't.
    I suspect however the numbers getting it bad are tiny in comparison to those that it has nearly an affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Why should healthcare staff (admin staff, porters..etc as you suggest) be the only people to administer vaccines?

What about trained army personnel, medical students, St John ambulance volunteers, teachers..etc? This is not a medically complex vaccine to administer.

You can train to administer the flu vaccine online - I am sure this is no more complex.

Teachers? Why not include plumbers, electricians, bin collectors etc. in your list while you`re at it?

Humour me and name a few.

Tend a grave, to get essential home maintenance products ,provide care for a family member. It's actually a fairly long list of allowed reasons. Easily found online if you want to look.
    Even essential dental care has allowed people to head to Tenerife.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Why deep pockets?

Current fine is €100

I think he's hoping the government will increase the fine significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Teachers? Why not include plumbers, electricians, bin collectors etc. in your list while you`re at it?

I know of two personally in the UK who were trained for vaccination work .One is a lawyer and one is a Quantity surveyor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

You said you can train to vaccinate from online learning. Did you forget? If you going to respond in such a ridiculous manner i have no interest in dealing with your nonsense.

Ah relax. You had worded your response ambiguously "Can you train to observe people after you vaccinate them online" and I was replying in a friendly manner.

In regards to the substance of our discussion, I currently inject myself weekly with a biologic medication.
    I was trained to self administer. The training took about 15 mins. I have been doing this for many years. If I have a problem, I can always call my GP (I have never had to).
    The 'click pen' style of injection delivery method is pretty much foolproof.

So - why do we need to insist it is only healthcare workers who can administer the covid vaccine? This is a national emergency - let's be open minded and innovative. The quicker we are, the more lives we will save.

Sure

Maybe you should read up on Dr Scallys resume and qualifications before you cast aspersions on his character. He is president of epidemiology and public health of "The royal society of medicine". He is a member of SAGE and former director in WHO. He is one of the most respected and knowledgeable physicians in his field.

It's been a really peculiar phenomenon of this pandemic that the anti restrictions cohort label anybody saying anything they dont like, a quack, or a stooge.

It's a play straight out of the trump and previous propagandists playbook. It is unfortunately very effective too. So many dummies out there, who are easily led and manipulated, start spouting the same bull**** they see Michael O Leary and other vested interests group proclaiming, where a great man like gabriel scally - who only cares about people not dying - is vilified.

Strange world we live in.

McConkey is highly qualified but is viewed by many here on both sides of the divide as being an utter loon.

Ah relax. You had worded your response ambiguously "Can you train to observe people after you vaccinate them online" and I was replying in a friendly manner.

In regards to the substance of our discussion, I currently inject myself weekly with a biologic medication.
    I was trained to self administer. The training took about 15 mins. I have been doing this for many years. If I have a problem, I can always call my GP (I have never had to).
    The 'click pen' style of injection delivery method is pretty much foolproof.

So - why do we need to insist it is only healthcare workers who can administer the covid vaccine? This is a national emergency - let's be open minded and innovative. The quicker we are, the more lives we will save.

Hey feel free to post nonsense , we've already had what if Covid and Ebola had a baby . So suggesting teachers or binman vaccinate people is not out of place here today.

• Advertisement

The desperation of RTE and so many people on here to keep up the fear levels and try to scare people into compliance is really something to behold. I'm done with it. Only a few more days until I am out of here anyway, but were I staying I certainly wouldn't be paying mind any more to distance restrictions or limits on meeting up with friends and family.

Any behavioural scientist would tell you that praise and thanks and a hopeful narrative is more effective in driving positive behaviour than threats and fear. Whether you are bringing up a child or managing a team of professionals or managing the response to a pandemic, the same principles apply. Fear and threats can actually turn people completely away from the message to the point that they start to actively resist....which is where I am at now.

Had the message for the last few weeks been a positive and hopeful one, I would probably still be prepared to play my part. But now.....no, I'm done

I haven't yet met any of my siblings. I have 6 of them in counties like Westmeath, Kildare, Donegal....also the UK and US. Some of them are healthcare workers, some of them had vulnerable family members. So I haven't still met any of them sadly. I'm looking forward to it soon.

That was down to your personal choice. There were several months last year when you could have travelled to meet them no questions asked. There was not a full year of so called "draconian restrictions" preventing you from doing that like what you are trying and failing to make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The desperation of RTE and so many people on here to keep up the fear levels and try to scare people into compliance is really something to behold. I'm done with it. Only a few more days until I am out of here anyway, but were I staying I certainly wouldn't be paying mind any more to distance restrictions or meeting up with people.

Any behavioural scientist would tell you that praise and thanks and a hopeful narrative is more effective in driving positive behaviour than threats and fear. Whether you are bringing up a child or managing a team of professionals or managing the response to a pandemic, the same principles apply. Fear and threats can actually turn people completely away from the message to the point that they start to actively resist....which is where I am at now.

Had the message for the last few weeks been a positive and hopeful one, I would probably still be prepared to play my part. But now.....no, I'm done

I agree. If the loose the people they will not be able to convince them and it will lead to more and more doing their own risk assessment and following their gut

Hey feel free to post nonsense , we've already had what if Covid and Ebola had a baby . So suggesting teachers or binman vaccinate people is not out of place here today.

You are very hostile for some reason.

Anyway, I have explained that administering injections like this is very straightforward. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can do it.

(I know as I do it myself!).

So, tell me why it is so important that only healthcare workers can do it thus potentially slowing down our vaccination delivery once we have ample stocks?

Anyway, I have explained that administering injections like this is very straightforward. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can do it.

So, tell me why it is so important that only healthcare workers can do it thus potentially slowing down our vaccination delivery once we have ample stocks?

Recognition of nonsense is not hostility.

Recognition of nonsense is not hostility.

How about answering the point instead of curtly dismissing it as 'nonsense'.

Why does it have to be administered by healthcare workers?

(Answer - it doesn't).

That's not a professional athlete.

So once you get paid to do a sport, you're less likely to suffer complications?
    Oul cody must have been standing near kryptonite then, that's what it was.

They're made of carbon like the rest of us, just as organic as you and I, That's some benchmark, you know athletes drop from sudden adult death syndrome as quick as anyone else too right?? They're not immune or less vulnerable because they get paid...

I'm not saying Covid is like the FLU either BTW, I just have a problem with the swathe of issues now being linked to anyone having Covid-19.
    My aunt was hospitalized recently with dementia and in the end she died from it and complications associated with it. She picked up Covid in the hospital and so it was claimed a COVID Death...

Why deep pockets?

Current fine is €100

Nothing to stop that €100 fine being significantly increased if necessary same as the non essential foreign travel one has or soon will be. Anyway those €100 add up if the same people are caught and fined several times.

(Answer - it doesn't).

In your opinion.

Nothing to stop that €100 fine being significantly increased if necessary same as the non essential foreign travel one has or soon will be. Anyway those €100 add up if the same people are caught and fined several times.

Has any politician suggested increasing the €100 fine?
    Btw did you get a chance to look at the list for essential travel both on the island and offm

• Advertisement

In your opinion.

No - in my experience and in the experience of many thousands who have to self administer injections every day in Ireland.

What is your issue with this?

Tend a grave, to get essential home maintenance products ,provide care for a family member. It's actually a fairly long list of allowed reasons. Easily found online if you want to look.
    Even essential dental care has allowed people to head to Tenerife.

A loophole that will be closed sooner or later if deemed necessary.

that stooge was Dr Gabriel (Hysteria) Scally. He also suggested Covid is now being spread in supermarkets, that we need to wear far more impenetrable medical masks (not the cotton ones) and that "long Covid" is causing huge issues even in children who could end up with disabilities from it...........!! :eek:.....at this point Claire Byrne said "thank you very much as always".

It sounding more like desperation at this stage, trying to keep people on board. Its not working. Dr Scally is creating his own echo chamber and RTE are desperately hanging in there. The more positivity there is from the UK, the worse the negativity gets here. Its bizarre and the irony is its actually counter productive. People are simply not buying it anymore.

I suspect the day the first vaccine was administered was not a day Gabriel Scally regarded with great fondness.

Very soon his name will vanish from the television and radio airwaves and his threats and doom-laden predictions will not be treated by some of our media with the gravity of a prophecy.

Covid has given some people a platform they will not readily relinquish.

A loophole that will be closed sooner or later if deemed necessary.

Ah 'if' I love that word.You seem to be angling for more fines , why?
    It's not a loophole it's an essential reason for travel. If some abuse it it's up to the authorities to deal with the abusers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Why deep pockets?

Current fine is €100

And it's very rarely enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

And you believe that every Garda will accept that cover story at face value?

They don't have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You have added two and two and gotten five. Seamus was comparing scale, you have leaped to 'we don't have enough vaccinators'. We have been preparing to roll out 250k vaccines a week, i we need more vaccinators I am sure we will train people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

b0nk1e wrote: »
    I suspect the day the first vaccine was administered was not a day Gabriel Scally regarded with great fondness.

That's just a horrible thing to say. Everyone has the same end goal. You don't need to resort to such crap.

Scally will be on our airwaves for a long time due to cervical check. It's likely he'll be appointed to other things too.

Also, for all the denigrating of Scally here he was spot on with what would happen after Christmas.

But yeah distort people's names, call them doom merchants because you don't like the message.
    I just hope you one day realise how pathetic those actions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

So many dummies out there, who are easily led and manipulated, start spouting the same bull**** they see Michael O Leary and other vested interests group proclaiming, where a great man like gabriel scally - who only cares about people not dying - is vilified.

That's precisely the problem. We care about things other than not dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sure but the government will have a harder time selling increasing that fine than the foreign travel one

Particularly if the government is painfully slow in easing restrictions

Expecting people to not see each other for 6 months + is too big an ask

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement